/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Planets

Amoeba
10-05-2010, 07:45 AM
*none of this is copyrighted and is free for anyone to use... actually I'm not sure if that is entirely accurate. The textures were used from work that isn't mine, but is distributed freely. The original textures came from a program called celestia.*

I like to use a program to set up planetary scenes. The program does most of the work for me, I piece the textures together using samples from the textures of other planets like mercury and mars. The planets are entirely fictional, they're not real. Any resemblance to real planets is probably due to the borrowing of parts of their textures, since the textures are simply the textures of other planets combined together.

I've posted them as links rather than direct images as they are big enough that they might stretch the forum layout, hover your mouse over and you'll see a clicky finger:

Cold rocky planet with a thin atmosphere and some ice caps (visible)

Temperate rocky planet with oceans of water and ice caps, moon visible in distance

A searing hot metallic planet so close to its star that it glows red around the equator

Another hot rocky planet but this time a little further away from the star than the red hot one

Another hot rocky planet a little further away again, so cooler than the last (but still hot)

This is the actual texture for the temperate blue planet posted a bit further up the page

A while back before I discovered the program celestia I used to do some space art on photoshop. Here are some of my older pictures from photoshop:

A scene depicting planetary formation, kind of stylized in an unrealistic way

A scene of another blue planet with its moon. This time the star scape was done by me, not by a program.

A close-up of the temperate blue planet

What do you guys think? Please express your views whatever they are, gentle or harsh.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
abdussattar
10-05-2010, 02:07 PM
Mashallah! So beautiful! What more do I say? You are so
talented.I wish I were you :Embarrass

Abdul-Raouf
10-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Hi Amoeba,

You might like the below the thread >>

Not just the Original Post of the thread...go thru all the post... u will find many pics.

http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ow-big-we.html

Thanks for sharing those pics.

Asiyah3
10-05-2010, 03:04 PM
:sl:

Could one of them have a ring orbiting around the planet?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amoeba
10-05-2010, 03:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdussattar
Mashallah! So beautiful! What more do I say? You are so
talented.I wish I were you :Embarrass
They're really not that difficult actually if you have the right step-by-step instructions. Would you like me to show you? Inshallah it wouldn't be difficult for you to make them.

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdul-Raouf
Hi Amoeba, You might like the below the thread >> Not just the Original Post of the thread...go thru all the post... u will find many pics. http://www.islamicboard.com/general/...ow-big-we.html (How big are we!!!?) Thanks for sharing those pics.
Thanks for sharing the link. :)

format_quote Originally Posted by Runaway
:sl:

Could one of them have a ring orbiting around the planet?
Yes, at least on celestia. On photoshop I don't know how. I did add a gas giant to the sim that had a few rings:

Blue gas giant with wide rings

Asiyah3
10-05-2010, 03:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
Yes, at least on celestia. On photoshop I don't know how. I did add a gas giant to the sim that had a few rings:

Blue gas giant with wide rings
Cool, that is wide.

abdussattar
10-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Those rings are too far away, innit?

Amoeba
10-06-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't know, I'm not good with astronomy. I just thought it looked nice. You think I should make them a bit nearer?

Amoeba
10-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Newest addition: Planet 4 constructed from the textures for planet Mercury, and the moons Dione and Enceladus.

I have a star system artwork project going, so this is planet 4. Planet 1 is the red hot one on the first page. Planet 2 is the second hot (but not glowing hot) planet on the first page, but I decided to have it tidally locked so now it looks like this:

Planet 2

Same with planet 3 which is now also tidally locked:

Planet 3

Getting planets tidally locked in celestia was difficult. I had to consult someone on the celestia forums to figure out how to code it.

The next one I'm working on isn't a barren planet like the previous ones, but one with liquid water on its surface.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!