/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Chastity

'Abd-al Latif
10-08-2010, 08:33 AM
:salamext:

I've been thinking a lot lately about what we see on TV, ads around the market places etc and I thought we should touch up on an important topic. Since everyone always talks about sex outside of marriage and the disasters that result from it, I thought we'd discuss about the opposite of that.

So let me start off with two simple questions.

What does chastity mean to you?

What do you value about chastity?

I'd like to see an input from brothers and sisters.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
10-08-2010, 02:32 PM

No one? You guys must in serious problems!

Here's a starter. Chastity is a praised characteristic in Islam. A person with high morals has always been looked up to throughout the pages of history regardless of religion, race or culture.

In Islam, in one context, the Arabic word for chastity means to protect oneself from sexual wrongdoing, a characteristic that is a must for a Muslim.

Allah says in Surah Al Noor, "Let those who find not the financial means for marriage keep themselves chaste, until Allah enriches them out of His bounty." [24:33]

A Muslim protects himself from perpetrating vile and evil deeds, hoping to receive reward from Allah. When the Prophet (:saws1:) was describing the seven categories of people who will be in Allah's shade, one of the categories he mentioned was, "...And a man whom a woman possessing both status and beauty invites (to herself), and he says, "I fear Allah"."

In another context, the Arabic word that generally means chastity takes on the meaning of modesty and self respect. Allah says, "The one who knows them not, thinks they are rich because of their modesty. You may know them by their mark, they do not beg of people at all." [2:273]

The Prophet (:saws1:) said, "The upper hand is better than the lower one, and begin with those who are under your guardianship (or care). The best charity is to give that which is left after one spends on one's needs (and on one's family's needs), whoever stays away from the unlawful and from asking people, Allah protects him. And whoever seeks independence from people (seeking dependence on Allah), Allah makes him rich. [Bukhari and Muslim]

Alpha Dude
10-08-2010, 02:41 PM
i. What does chastity mean to you?
ii. What do you value about chastity?

i. Modesty, purity. Protecting ourselves against all forms of fitnah (including the obvious, fornication etc) with as much sincerity as possible.
ii. Sincerity with which it is protected and preserved by someone.

Dagless
10-08-2010, 03:10 PM
ii. What do you value about chastity?

i. Abstinence from sex(ual pleasure?).
ii. Commitment, strength, anticipation.

I chose those answers because although "chaste" can be used for many things; "chastity" is almost always in relation to sex.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
islamaholicâ„¢
10-08-2010, 04:09 PM
:wa:

basically keeping your pants zipped up.

Tilmeez
10-09-2010, 07:11 AM
To me chastity is standing out obedient and un-conquered.
1. Obedient to my creator for not crossing His limits set for me to stay in. Unconquered in term no one can say that she did anything extramarital with me. As old days have gone when, even in West, girls would mourn about losing their wealth of dignity if involved in such acts. Now, even in East, they tell each other, with pride, about brother they conquered the other day. With the grace of Allah SWT I am obedient and un-conquered and this is what chastity means to me.

2. My pride in being obedient, winner and trustworthy.
Again Obedient to Allah SWT. Winner against Satan's traps. As war against Satan is not an argument between you and your neighbor you can overlook if he gives you a friendly smile next morning and you return it back. War against Satan is a full time war and you don't have any life line. You need to be a winner every time. I also win unconditional love and support of my spouse which is direct results of myself remaining cheste. I'm trustworthy in front of my Lord, my spouse and people around me.

Muhaba
10-09-2010, 12:56 PM
chastity is in everything allowed in Islam, and anything not allowed by Islam is unchaste, immoral, unethical. It's important to remember that so as not to forbid for ourselves the pleasures allowed by Islam. So while relationships with the opposite gender outside marriage are unchaste, within marriage they are chaste and pure.

I had read in a magazie that some very religious Christians told their daughters regarding sexual relations "good girls don't do that" and that point was instilled in the girls so much taht it ruined her relationship with her husband after marriage, because she felt that to be good, she couldn't , shouldn't want or enjoy sexual relationship, that it was a dirty thing, etc. I guess some Christians still do believe that & that's why priests and nuns can't get married; that they have to remain pure, which means that they feel marital relations are impure. But that's not true. What's allowed by Allah is good and pure and chaste.

Asiyah3
10-09-2010, 02:04 PM
:wasalamex

What does chastity mean to you? What do you value about chastity?
Loving and fearing Allah swt by following His laws. Having faith in Allah swt and His wisdom. He created us and He knows what is best for us. Not being played by some cheap guy. Self-respect. Purity & Modesty. Self-control as to not being the slave of your whims and desires. Saving your body to your husband only.

Neelofar
10-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Salaamz :D

For me Chaste means, being pure, in the sens the ur heart is pure and clean and you've abstained from sexual activity if ur not married

aadil77
10-10-2010, 12:04 AM
Chastity to me is being chaste from all kinds of 'sexual' filth in this dunya not just fornication/adultery, basically keeping every part of your body chaste.

Insecured soul
10-10-2010, 12:35 AM
Salaam alaikum

i asked the same question few months ago, here is the link http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...-unchaste.html

our brothers and sisters provided with a lot of inputs

syed_z
10-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Being chaste will give you more energy for your soul. If you keep yourself clean from the outside and keep your physical side safe from becoming impure, then your inner self becomes purified which leads towards your soul being strengthened. When the external is shut the internal opens.

Being chaste increases strength of your soul and so then even though your living in this body on earth, your connection with Allah (swt) is very high.

Being chaste is the best food for your soul.

thats all i have to say.

'Abd-al Latif
10-13-2010, 10:14 PM

Some good stuff.

Everyone goes through a surge of desire that overwhelms their senses urging him to find satisfaction, how do you guys fight this desire to keep chaste?

Insecured soul
10-14-2010, 01:06 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
Everyone goes through a surge of desire that overwhelms their senses urging him to find satisfaction, how do you guys fight this desire to keep chaste?
it becomes very difficult sometimes for people like me who are not married and wants to stay pure, i just remind myself of the punishment of allah and the evil the sin contains.

at work i come across many females who wear less clothes, i try to keep my eyes on the floor and not look at them because when u look at them shaitaan keeps flashing those pictures in ur mind

i also avoid watching television, actually it was many years when i sat in front of tv with the remote

aadil77
10-15-2010, 11:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif

Some good stuff.

-Stick around pious brothers as much as you can, you'll be like an army against shaytaan, fitna will not touch you

-Go to the masjid as much as possible

-Keep busy

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!