/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Practice reading the sounds

Amoeba
10-09-2010, 02:29 PM
Hi, asalam alaykum,

I'm learning Arabic but I haven't got very far yet. I have just learned the alphabet and the different ways of writing letters depending on where they appear in a word. Now I'm on to the 'vowels' or 'accents' (I can't remember what the teacher called them but they're the symbols that are usually omitted in more mature Arabic but found in, say, children's books) and some simple words.

I don't have a lot of money to spend so does anybody know any free online resources where I can learn to practice reading whole words, especially if they provide the English meaning of those words? I just need some material to practice on. Wherever I find Arabic writing I always try to read it (even if I don't know what the word means) but it's difficult not knowing the vowel sounds so best I can do is just try to tell the letters apart.

Truth is I actually quite enjoy trying to read it... :nervous:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
10-09-2010, 03:29 PM
http://www.lqtoronto.com/

Amoeba
10-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Hm, I'm thinking more along the lines of free reading sources, the books on this site you provided aren't free.

Thanks for trying though.

~Raindrop~
10-10-2010, 12:38 PM
The link in the following thread posted by sis Ummu Sufyaan should help inshaAllah

http://www.islamicboard.com/arabic/1...-resource.html

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amoeba
10-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Asalam malaykum, hi! Thanks for the link, this looks like it will come in handy.

What I'm looking for is letters used in examples of words, with these "short vowels" shown. Is that what they're called? Just making sure.

Ummu Sufyaan
10-11-2010, 12:13 PM
^i can scan you some words i have from some books? i don't know about any on-line resources though.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!