/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Politics

Beardo
10-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Why do Muslims repel from politics?

For example, living in a free nation such as America, why do we give no heed to the political atmosphere around us? Are we experiencing an inferiority complex? Or do we feel it is our religious obligation to simply stay within closed doors?

I personally feel it's important to support universal healthcare, better and more competitive public education, taxing those oil corporations, etc etc.

Please tell me why some people feel it's wrong to join politics. Politics has become a bad word in the religious circle nowadays and I want an explanation for that.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S_87
10-13-2010, 09:49 PM
well im sure theres gonna be people who dont agree with me but:

Muslims dont shy away from politics as such but muslims should imo get involved in politics as displayed today. Sure theres a lot of things that do need changing BUT should one get involved in politics to an extent where they are compromising islamic belief to support a few good causes (like good healthcare for example)

Cabdullahi
10-13-2010, 11:49 PM
I stopped reading when the thread starter said 'living in a free nation such as America'

politics = politricks

You can support universal health care for a 1000 years....you'll never get it unless you convince insurance companies to budge

you cannot disturb a leech that has made itself comfortable whilst sucking blood

Beardo
10-14-2010, 12:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by S_87
well im sure theres gonna be people who dont agree with me but:

Muslims dont shy away from politics as such but muslims should imo get involved in politics as displayed today. Sure theres a lot of things that do need changing BUT should one get involved in politics to an extent where they are compromising islamic belief to support a few good causes (like good healthcare for example)
Could you explain to me how supporting healthcare compromises with one's Islamic morals? I have trouble understanding that.

format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
I stopped reading when the thread starter said 'living in a free nation such as America'

politics = politricks

You can support universal health care for a 1000 years....you'll never get it unless you convince insurance companies to budge

you cannot disturb a leech that has made itself comfortable whilst sucking blood
UK and Canada have Uni healthcare, I'm sure the US cannot be too far from it.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Cabdullahi
10-14-2010, 12:30 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad

UK and Canada have Uni healthcare, I'm sure the US cannot be too far from it.
By that time the dollar will collapse

forevermm
10-14-2010, 04:04 AM

For example, living in a free nation such as America, why do we give no heed to the political atmosphere around us? Are we experiencing an inferiority complex? Or do we feel it is our religious obligation to simply stay within closed doors?

I personally feel it's important to support universal healthcare, better and more competitive public education, taxing those oil corporations, etc etc.

Please tell me why some people feel it's wrong to join politics. Politics has become a bad word in the religious circle nowadays and I want an explanation for that.

There are major groups in the US which aim to increase political participation such as CAIR and MPAC but the fact of the matter remains that when most Americans are polled an over whelming majority have stated that they would not vote for a Muslim to be in political office.

Just because Muslims don't fill many political offices though does not mean that they aren't active. In the community I live in there is much outreach.

S_87
10-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Could you explain to me how supporting healthcare compromises with one's Islamic morals? I have trouble understanding that.

supporting healthcare is not the problem- i used your example as a good example of what a person may want to change. but then on the other hand, another one of your examples-taxing-what is the islamic stance on taxing.

My point- to get involved in politics in places like the US as a whole to solve a few good causes (healthcare) is dangerous ground

YusufNoor
10-14-2010, 12:52 PM

:sl:

the politicians in the country are responsible for the deaths of thousands upon thousands of Muslims and other innocent people throughout the world. are you looking to participate in their evil? is it that you desire a share of their punishment in the Akhira?

or are you wanting to hitch your camel to the democratic party and work for "gay, lesbian and trans-gender" rights, long term abortion and the eventual banning of religion?

if the Prophet, pbuh, wanted us to work for "universal healthcare, better and more competitive public education and taxing those oil corporations," then he would have informed us.

we should be desiring the Shariah of Allah and propagating Islam.

many scholars will tell you that it is haram to participate in US politics. others will tell you it is OK to vote for the "lessor of 2 evils"

just how much evil do you want to be responsible for on Judgment Day?

do you have hassanats to spare?

:wa:

Ummu Sufyaan
10-14-2010, 01:01 PM
imo, being involved any any sort of politics that does not conform to the quran and sunnah (and yes, i include any type of political party that may exist in Muslim controlled countries) can equal danger to your iman becuase it may entail you to go against the shariah in one way or another.
i dont believe that you can fully and properly implement the shariah or properly practice your iman being apart of a political party (in the west and some countries in the east at-least where no-on really cares which Muslim gets thrown in a dungeon and doesn't get properly trialled). there will always be something that you have to do that may compromise your iman. this is becuase your loyalty will lay either with Islam or anything that opposes it and politics run by other than what islam calls for, may pose a threat to your loyalty towards islam.

Beardo
10-15-2010, 03:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by YusufNoor

the politicians in the country are responsible for the deaths of thousands upon thousands of Muslims and other innocent people throughout the world. are you looking to participate in their evil? is it that you desire a share of their punishment in the Akhira?

or are you wanting to hitch your camel to the democratic party and work for "gay, lesbian and trans-gender" rights, long term abortion and the eventual banning of religion?

if the Prophet, pbuh, wanted us to work for "universal healthcare, better and more competitive public education and taxing those oil corporations," then he would have informed us.

we should be desiring the Shariah of Allah and propagating Islam.

many scholars will tell you that it is haram to participate in US politics. others will tell you it is OK to vote for the "lessor of 2 evils"

just how much evil do you want to be responsible for on Judgment Day?

do you have hassanats to spare?

:wa:
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
imo, being involved any any sort of politics that does not conform to the quran and sunnah (and yes, i include any type of political party that may exist in Muslim controlled countries) can equal danger to your iman becuase it may entail you to go against the shariah in one way or another.
i dont believe that you can fully and properly implement the shariah or properly practice your iman being apart of a political party (in the west and some countries in the east at-least where no-on really cares which Muslim gets thrown in a dungeon and doesn't get properly trialled). there will always be something that you have to do that may compromise your iman. this is becuase your loyalty will lay either with Islam or anything that opposes it and politics run by other than what islam calls for, may pose a threat to your loyalty towards islam.
See, you guys are portraying exactly the opposite of what I'm trying to explain.

Brother Yusuf, you mentioned gay rights. You don't need to pick a side, Dem or Rep. RATHER, you just form coalitions for or against your opinion on specific political issues.

Like you mentioned gay rights: You may stand against it. That doesn't mean you have to hitch a bandwagon. That's the misconception people have these days: that by enjoining in politics, you have to enjoin it ENTIRELY.

What I am trying to say is that certain things we SHOULD be involved in. I'm not saying we all go out there and rally in the streets. I'm saying we attend city hall meetings, within our own locality, and enjoin our city as loyal residents. We can discuss the social services for our children.

Politics also includes having bake sales to provide updated textbooks, better materials, more useful resources for our children to study in the public schools. It includes providing proper medical care for those less fortunate in our city. It includes volunteering at the senior citizen center and promoting a friendly environment.

What I am trying to say is that as Muslims, we SHOULD be involved in these type of acts. Otherwise, people think we're in our own shells.

For example, at my local Mosque during Ramadan, this non-Muslim woman came in with not-so-modest clothing. The sisters told her she wasn't wearing proper clothing in a very harsh manner and she left. This is highly disappointing, IMO.

@ Sister Ummu Sufyaan: I respect your opinion, as always. But I'm not saying you have to accept it ENTIRELY. You can fight for the rights which are conforming with Shari'ah. That way, you CAN gradually implement the Islamic law into a Western country without necessarily calling it the "Shari'ah." Does that make sense?

I hope I'm not coming off rude. It's actually a discussion moreso for my own benefit. I guess when I made this thread, I just got out of Political Science class and was pumped up with the discussions lol. Felt like the President of the US for a second.

anonymous
10-24-2010, 10:05 PM

Asslamu Aliakum.

It is important to consider what it is meant by ''joining politics.'' Do you mean a Muslim participating in the election, joining a political party, getting elected and making policy decisions, becoming a member of a lobby or protesting...I could write a letter to my local MP and demand that street cleaning should be improved, this is another example of getting involved in politics. There are many ways to become politically active.

I cannot speak for all Muslims.

There are Muslims that do not believe we should get involved in politics. These Muslims fear we have to adopt the beliefs and values of the non-Muslims in order to gain access to politics. In America, the majority of its citizens are proud to advocate democracy and these Muslims feel that it is best to avoid politics because it is not compatible with the Sharia.

However, there are some ways for Muslims to get involved in politics without adopting the beliefs and values of non-Muslims. It is impossible for a minority to survive without some form of representation. Not much is required to actually get involved in politics. As I mentioned before, it depends upon what you mean by ''jointing politics.''

Oh I would like to add, glad to see your fine, hope your exams went well and you have an amazing blog. Keep up the good work.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!