/* */

PDA

View Full Version : opinion please - what do i do when ........

serena77
10-19-2010, 01:04 AM
i'm so close to wanting to revert..... if it weren't for location... i'd prolly want it it even more so.... its hard... i don't know what to do.. mostly i don't know what to think i mean i do... but at the same time.... i KNOW that i don't have enough knowledge and there no one around here to talk to.... and yes its so frustrating...

and while i'm at it.. and a side note...... how does everyone memorize everything...... the prayers... the sayings..... etc....
btw.. as my intro states i'll be on sporadcally until my laptop returns.

May He bless and keep everyone safe
Salaam
serena

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Perseveranze
10-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Salaam Serena77, I wish you the best of luck with everything, really sorry to hear about the circumstances of your location. I am sure there are Islamic chat groups that you could join to talk about Islam/Widen your knowledge on it, also there are these forums here.

As for the second note, I can't really give you the best of advice/sources as I am too currently learning more about Islam. I do remember how I learned prayers though, first I learned the Arabic alphabet and from then on I could read arabic. I did used to own some good books which also had english translations that helped.

Hope someone else can give you some good website links to help you out.

I would recommend you go to google and type in "beconvinced" the first result, check that site out, it's pretty good.

S.Belle
10-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Listen to your heart sis you know the truth now about how wonderful Islam is dont let location be a factor into not converting
before I moved I lived in a redneck, still hold KKK meetings, southern part of NC I understand perfectly about location and not being able to "freely" practice your religion without feeling like your life is in some kind of danger due to ignorant people.
Do you know any muslim women that live near you?
If so introduce yourself to them and tell them of your desires to convert I am sure they would be more than happy to help and show you where the nearest masjid is. Or maybe use google and look up some islamic centers near you if not.

It took me quite a while to learn how to pray and remember all the sayings I remember trying my hardest to pray and feeling like it was not being answered due to all the stammering I was doing during it but Allah (swt) is so merciful!!

Verily the one who recites the Qur’an beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, he will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses, then he will have TWICE that reward.” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim

so think of it as a blessing from Allah and inshallah you will get better sis :statisfie because this is the beauty of life and Islam learning something new each day and growing stronger in faith. You can do it!!

this is a good site to learn recitation
http://www.islamicity.com/mosque/ara...Ayat/1/1_1.htm

Muhaba
10-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Well, if you want to revert then revert. Why wait. Insha-Allah you can find support and Allah will help you. Try to find an Islamic Center near you and visit there, get to know other sisters and learn from them. Meeting sisters will also keep you from losing faith and keeping your spirit high once you convert as well as help you learn Islam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ğħαrєєвαħ
10-19-2010, 06:49 PM
Peace Serena2007

According to your post i dont see any reason to hold you back from reverting. If you dont have your community to help, you have your brothers and sisters on this forum who would do their best to help you out if you have any questions, problems etc. Ask questions here that you have.

To memorise everything ofcourse it takes time and patience, but you will get there eventually, you can find sites or even books where you can learn arabic from, and slowly step by step you will learn how to pronounce them insha`Allaah. Hopefully someone else can refer you to book or site because i personally im not aware of any which is bad :-\ sorry!

I hope that someone else can give you a better responce regarding your thread, hope i helped a lil bit Insha`Allaah :-\

Ameen to the Dua and May Allaah guide you to the path of rightousness Ameen

Peace

serena77
10-19-2010, 09:53 PM
adding
my library system matches the area around me...... while i did get to read some good books they are very few.... there used to be an islamic center a half hour away.... thats now ...apparently gone... i know of no one around here who is muslim..... when i first started looking at the catholic faith I was actually able to meet w/ some nuns in the area.... here its the exact opposite... which is sad in itself..... this thread doesn't mean that i am ready to profess being a muslimah.... and its part of why when i get a chance to be online i've been on this board.... i feel like i have so few options and its so hard to know what to ask... when to ask.... etc..... i get so much from the threads here.... i'm a little quick to get nervous over disharmony .... because i still feel that no matter what religion everyone should get along... which i'm sure my family feels is odd... considering ... i was raised as non religious as one can get.... is a lot to swallow when coming from that perspective, but i am trying.... and once again ... let me say i really hope i don't step on any one's toes and i do try not to say something i shouldn't though i'm sure it will happen from time to time... and i'll apologize profusely if i recognize it...... but any suggestions .... or even just feedback is more than welcome and so appreciated...

Salaam
Serena

serena77
10-19-2010, 10:00 PM
thats so odd... i added a more detailed reply to my first post here a minute ago ... it showed no one had replied and i wanted to expound a bit on what on what i had said... I will look at the be convinced google page, thank you.

mila .. can i ask what part of southern NC? i was born and raised in eastern NC..... my grandparents were very umm... (sigh) lets just say grandma is rolling in her grave and i haven't said one word to granddad if that tells you anything.

Thank you so much for the replies.... i wish... when i was at ECU .... that i had paid more attention to the Islamic group there but at the time..... i KNEW it was the catholic church i was supposed to follow. more and more though. ... to the point where i am dropping all my lay ministries at the church ... my priest will be displeased.... to say the least.... angry is more like it... but.... i can't .... not at this point.... i have some medication issues that will be the perfect excuse.... is true... w/ the meds i can't do my jobs well right now....

again... thank you.. maybe you know how much your replies mean to me.. maybe not... but.... i can't even put into words how blessed I am to have found this site and all of you.

Serena

S.Belle
10-19-2010, 10:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by serena77
mila .. can i ask what part of southern NC? i was born and raised in eastern NC..... my grandparents were very umm... (sigh) lets just say grandma is rolling in her grave and i haven't said one word to granddad if that tells you anything.

I lived in Rutherfordton country very very southern there i dont even think you have every heard of the ellenboro have you?
lol yes i understand perfectly

Insaanah
10-20-2010, 12:55 PM
A very warm welcome to the forum Serena,

Please feel free to ask questions here, we will do our best to help you.

Also see this site, which has some good information for those interested in Islam, as well as covering practical issues and problems that those thinking of reverting to Islam may face, e.g. problems with family, no support nearby, a beginner's guide to prayer etc (all further down the main homepage):

http://www.muslimconverts.com/

May Allah guide you to Islam. Ameen.

Peace.

YusufNoor
10-20-2010, 05:44 PM
As Salaamu Alaykum Sister...Casper! ;D

just pickin' on ya.

In Sha'a Allah [if Allah wills it], you will get your laptop back soon.

there MAY be some Muslims in your area, google your city name along with halah food or restaurant. IF there any stores or restaurants of said variety, you will find some Muslims there, In Sha'a Allah.

learning the various aspect of the Religion takes time; as Mufti Menk often says, "no one expects you to "become Pope" over night!" [sorry, it just cracks me up that he said Pope instead of something Islamic]

i was raised Catholic, but that was a long time ago. been Muslim for 4.5 years now, Alhumdulillah [ALL heartfelt thanks and praise are due to Allah]. i can't even read Arabic yet, but as soon as i finish a project that i am working on, In Sha'a Allah, that is next on my list as i need read/recite the Qur'an in the proper fashion.

i currently make lots of dvds and pass them out at the various Masajid in the area. most of the Muslims i know do not have English as a first language, nor did they study their Din too much although some are Hafiz [they have memorized the ENTIRE Qur'an, May Allah reward them]. so as a result, i'm the best media resource in the area for English materials, as Allah so wills. May He allow me to continue!

for an English speaker, Br Bilal Philips is the penultimate source. His BA, MA and PhD are ALL in Islamic studies AND he assisted MANY knowledgeable in Saudi Arabia, especially in translating their works. 90% of his video and audio work is available for free listening/downloading. he ha a website here:

http://www.bilalphilips.com/index.php

if you go to the video download page, AT THE VERY BOTTOM, you will see a section called Foundation of Islamic Studies. it is a video record of a series of lectures he gave in Toronto in the mid 90's. it is over 17 hours long, but it is a VERY thorough explanation of EXACTLY Islam is and isn't. if you can, watch at least the first 2 parts for an overview.

next, we have the Mufti of Zimbabwe, Ismail ibn Musa Menk. he presents Islam in a manner that thrills most of the Asian and African Brothers. his English is better than mine and he truly understands the beauty of Islam. alot of his lectures are available here:

http://www.muftimenk.co.za/Downloads.html

if you have time, listen to some oft he ones in the section marked, Mufti Ismail Menk Lecture Series - Volume 1. AFTER you get a chance to listen to Dr Philips, then proceed to the one marked Social Conduct - Ramadaan 1425 (2004).

if you would like a truly enlightening experience, the Tafseer series called 6. Tafseer - Ramadaan 1426 (2005) Klerksdorp (Reasons of Revelation of verses of the noble Qur'an) is Very Nice as it explains some of history behind Quranic revelation.

there is a Cardiologist in Tennessee named Dr Bashar Shala, who claims NOT to be a Scholar, BUT he gives the most heartwarming lectures on Islam! he has a series on Islamic History and the Seerah [life of the Prophet] as well as some "Reflections" on stories from the Qur'an. the site is here:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me...t%20%28pbuh%29

IF you have time, try to listen this THIS lecture - Stories of Quran-46 The Owner of the two Gardens (Surah Al-Kahf v 28-49) ; Speaker: Dr. Bashar Shala 03-23-2008 The Man of the Two Gardens:

http://www.pleasantviewschool.com/me..._Surah_Al-Kahf

it is a STELLAR lecture that shows Dr Shala's love and understanding of the Qur'an!

May Allah assist you and guide you!

Wa Salaam,
Yusuf

serena77
10-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Insannah
i'll have to go to the site soon.... our location is lucky to even have an hispanic grocery store... and considering how large our hispanic parish is.... its not surprising but locall thats my best bet. I remember they tried to open a jaimacian place here and the owner had to drive about 6 hours just for supplies. needless to say... didnt last long. I get my laptop back tomorrow ( god willing) and will certainly g to that site tomorrow. Thank you So much.
Serena

serena77
10-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Salaam brother Yusef -
I'm hoping that once i get my laptop back .... i'll be able to peruse many of the video choices and selections ... also hoping ina couple of months to get an upgrade on the laptop ( god willing ) that will have HD everything .... that way i will be able to do all my other stuff and play the videos at the same time....
I'm 33 and i moved back in w/ my parents ( stepdad and mom.. ) both are atheist... and while mom has been "okay" w/ the whole catholic thing..... her being okay on the islamic idea.... well.. I'm doing it the right way... i think... talking in general terms about how i feel about certain aspects of it.. why those aspects are positive etc.... its worrisome that they will have problems... until i started looking into this ... i NEVEr thought about how uch pork etc is eaten, but i have discovered the wonderful world of ground turkey brats and so when they eat things i can't... i still have an option that i like... more and more i'm trying that... though normally w/ steak.. its okay once in a while. but not my favorite

i've said thank you to all a few times... but let me say it again.... you have all made me feel most welcome without shoving anything i wasn't ready for down my throat... as some can do even without meaning too and for that... it is most appreciated.... its times like this though that i wish i still lived in south fl ( okay.. the heat... and long sleeves.. eh maybe not ) or atlanta... or pittsburgh... lol... but no... backwoods virginia never my ideal place... but my parents prefer me here.. helps out everyone ..

Salaam to all especially those with torn hearts or minds.
Serena

aadil77
10-20-2010, 10:14 PM
Nike - Just Do It

Insecured soul
10-21-2010, 01:34 AM
May allah guide u to the truth and make everything easy on you insha allah

YusufNoor
10-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Insannah
i'll have to go to the site soon.... our location is lucky to even have an hispanic grocery store... and considering how large our hispanic parish is.... its not surprising but locall thats my best bet. I remember they tried to open a jaimacian place here and the owner had to drive about 6 hours just for supplies. :heated: i get it, you live in "God's Country!"
needless to say... didnt last long. I get my laptop back tomorrow ( god willing) and will certainly g to that site tomorrow. Thank you So much.
Serena
As Salaamu Alaykum,

here's another video, it's by Mufti Menk. most of his audio is available free on the net, but not much of his video stuff. i get alot of his video from a store in South Africa, this one is free online. if you have the opportunity to hear this, along Dr Shala's "Man of the 2 Gardens," you get to hear something special. it was my opinion that the work of Jesus, Peace be upon him, was mainly about hypocrisy and NOT about "changing" the "Law." Most Muslim speakers focus on Allah and Muhammad, Peace be upon him, the Mufti constantly deals making sure one doesn't think that one is better than someone else. This is the MAIN POINT in Dr Shala's lecture and Mufti Menk touches upon it as well. to me, this is a central and important point and most speakers don't focus on it. it MAY sound stupid, but to me, these 2 brothers sound MORE like Jesus, Peace be upon him, than ANY preachers i know of. they BOTH exude kindness and humility and love of God.

in addition, the Mufti Menk lecture is on Al Fatihah, the most important Surah in the Qur'an. it not only opens the Qur'an, but in it you will find the summation of the ENTIRE Qur'an! we recite Al Fatihah in every rakah of prayer, 17 times [or more] a day! the Surah also teaches us about the three forms of Tawheed - the Oneness of Allah. if you wish, i can elaborate on this for you, In Sha'a Allah

anyway, here's the vid:

it's located here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6761126106509#
May Allah assist you and guide you,

wa Salaam,
Br Yusuf

Yanal
10-24-2010, 02:08 AM
:sl:

May Allaah assist you and all the other people in the world pondering about Islaam,ameen.

Insaanah
10-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Peace, Serena,

This is a link to a book called "A guide for the new Muslim", which you can download from here (click on one of the two disk icons below where it says download):

http://islamicpdf.blogspot.com/2009/...ew-muslim.html

Apart from explaining the main Islamic beliefs and creed very simply, for anyone interested in Islam, this is the official description:

"Short Description: This is a gift for all the new Muslims who currently know the right path to Allah. This is a means to strength and preserve their belief. In this book Sheikh Jamaal al-Din Zarabozo shows the fruits of becoming a Muslim, the excellent features of Islam and all aspects of Islam. Sheikh Jamaal illustrates the pillars of faith on which one’s belief is based and the pillars of Islam which contain the best practical deeds (e.g. prayer) and the best deeds of the heart i.e. the monotheism. As Islam is a social religion, Sheikh explains the Muslim’s behavior towards all individuals in the society, old or young, whether they embrace Islam or not. Afterwards he puts up some notice about both of the permissible and prohibited financial dealings. He also mentions the factors which increase the one’s belief and help the Muslim to abide by Allah’s commands. He refers to the obstacles (e.g. lust, misconception and ignorance) in the path of the Muslims prevent him from continuing his way to Allah. He also shows the prerequisites of the sincere repentance which is between the person and his God without a mediator. Finally, he gives a word for the new Muslim."

Peace.

serena77
10-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Insaanah
Thank you for the link... i did open it and am about 30 pages in... it is well written and quite clear incase anyone else sees your link and wants to read it... i should be able to have it finished this afternoon.... i hope. Supposed to go to the gym... but my workout partner has yet to get up w/ me today and i'm trying not to get upset w/ her though she cancelled yesterday too....
Serena

serena77
10-24-2010, 05:19 PM
odd it doesn't look like my reply posted
insaanah i've downloaded and made a pretty decent start to the book... its well written and very clear thank you so much for sending the link.
salaam/ Peace to you and all
Serena

Muslimman
11-02-2010, 08:41 AM
i'm so close to wanting to revert..... if it weren't for location... i'd prolly want it it even more so.... its hard... i don't know what to do.. mostly i don't know what to think i mean i do... but at the same time.... i KNOW that i don't have enough knowledge and there no one around here to talk to.... and yes its so frustrating...

and while i'm at it.. and a side note...... how does everyone memorize everything...... the prayers... the sayings..... etc....
btw.. as my intro states i'll be on sporadcally until my laptop returns.

May He bless and keep everyone safe
Salaam
serena
Hi Serena,
From your posts, I really wonder how come you are not a Muslim yet! :)

serena77
11-02-2010, 03:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslimman
Hi Serena,
From your posts, I really wonder how come you are not a Muslim yet! :)
You lived w/ my parents... in my corner of the states you wouldn't wonder as much.

i'm trying really hard to learn the prayers in arabic... not saying its easy but so far anyway making sense than russian :)
Serena

Muslimman
11-03-2010, 02:05 AM
You lived w/ my parents... in my corner of the states you wouldn't wonder as much.

i'm trying really hard to learn the prayers in arabic... not saying its easy but so far anyway making sense than russian :)
Serena
You can read out from a paper. You can read in your own language if you cant read in Arabic. Islam made everything so easy. Even if one can't stand, she / he can sit, or even lay and pray with eyelashes or heart.:thumbs_up:)

serena77
11-03-2010, 03:26 PM
i thought certain t hings HAD to be done in arabic? .... and i kinda do get some satisfaction of it.
but can one use an MP3 to recite along w/ it?

this is how i learned things in french.. constant repititon was the only thing that saved my french grade.

YusufNoor
11-03-2010, 08:10 PM
:sl:

until you learn, you may recite in each position of a rakat:

SubhanAllah wa-Alhumdulillah wa-La Ilaha Ilallah wa-Allahu Akbar

there are 4 rakats in every Fard prayer except Fajr, which has 2 and Mahgrib, which has 3 [2 for jummu'ah]

rakats are explained here, Pray as you have seen me pray:

http://www.kalamullah.com/new-muslims.html

go with that until you learn al Fatihah

:wa:

serena77
11-05-2010, 08:53 PM
i have to say in many ways i have al fathia memorized... i have no problem w/ the You Tube video i'm 'using i've gotten to where i don't need to look at the screen to say it along w/ the recitier... BUT that doesn't mean i'm to the point i could do it alone...
and.. the faster recitations... forget it... lol but i'm trying... and i'm enjoying the learning part of it... then again.. who takes russin in college unless you learn languages. :)

Muslimman
11-06-2010, 09:19 PM
i thought certain t hings HAD to be done in arabic? .... and i kinda do get some satisfaction of it.
but can one use an MP3 to recite along w/ it?

this is how i learned things in french.. constant repititon was the only thing that saved my french grade.
Yes. Why not? :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!