/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I hate formalities !

marwen
10-21-2010, 01:49 PM
:sl:

I really hate useless formalities.
I mean when talking, some people tend to use unnecessary formal styles.
And sometimes when you want to meet a person, you need to fill a form or to write a formal request. It sometimes make me feel some hypocrisy or arrogance with this type of people.
I see these formalities unnecessary, if the message can be understood with a simpler form, and at the same time we keep the mutual respect to each other.

We should keep the respect to other people and we have to respect the organizing processes.
But in many other times formalities are unnecessary and are waste of time.

May be you have different opinions.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Beardo
10-21-2010, 01:58 PM
You can't trust people straight off the bat. Actually, you don't even know people these days. This may sound pessimistic, but we live in an individualist world.

Anyhow, these formalities are a necessary, most of the time.

Muhaba
10-21-2010, 03:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by marwen
:sl:

I really hate useless formalities.
I mean when talking, some people tend to use unnecessary formal styles.
And sometimes when you want to meet a person, you need to fill a form or to write a formal request. It sometimes make me feel some hypocrisy or arrogance with this type of people.
I see these formalities unnecessary, if the message can be understood with a simpler form, and at the same time we keep the mutual respect to each other.

We should keep the respect to other people and we have to respect the organizing processes.
But in many other times formalities are unnecessary and are waste of time.

May be you have different opinions.
In order for me to reply to your complaint, you must fill out the following form:

Name: _______
Membership type:____
Complaint type: ______
Complaint:

j/k. howver where were you required to fill forms when you met someone?

Alpha Dude
10-21-2010, 03:30 PM
I tend to agree with you, marwen. We should treat people like people, not robots.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
S.Belle
10-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Well filling out a form to meet someone would probably be used for people who are too busy to talk to someone at the time. They have them fill out a form and if the situation can be handled by someone else then they can simply have their assitant take care of it rather then themselves.....its somewhat rude in a way but saves people time i suppose.
when speaking to someone in a formal manner it depends on where you are and who you are talking to.
For a job interview you should try to be somewhat formal, polite, respectful because they could end up being your future boss,
but if you are just hanging with friends/family then there should be no formality.

marwen
10-21-2010, 06:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mila
Well filling out a form to meet someone would probably be used for people who are too busy to talk to someone at the time. They have them fill out a form and if the situation can be handled by someone else then they can simply have their assitant take care of it rather then themselves.....its somewhat rude in a way but saves people time i suppose.
Yes I know, if these procedures could make the work easy and more organized, I'm Ok with it. But some times it just become a habit, and people will use these formalities every time, just like robots.

format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
howver where were you required to fill forms when you met someone?
I wanted to meet a company manager to ask him tow questions about job, I was not even applying for a job, and the meeting would only take 3 min. But his secretary insisted that I can't meet him without fixing an appointement, and I have to fill a form (like the one you posted above lol) and they will call me back in few days.
It would be more easy, even for him, to just talk to me directly and see what is the problem. But I dunno, people are just addicted to this type of formalities, may be just to make you upset, or to appear more prestigious.

Muhaba
10-21-2010, 06:28 PM
^ah why didn't you just send him an email?

marwen
10-21-2010, 06:38 PM
^ I don't know his personal e-mail. There is the company mail, but can't contact him directly, it's the same thing.

M.I.A.
10-21-2010, 08:27 PM
lol i have my telephone voice on most of the time.
i dont normaly speak like that but its professional, it doesnt include long words but is just as polite and proper as i can make it.
i never thought people would take it as arrogent i just got that way through the daily experiences of my job.. once somebody blatently told me to go get someone else because he couldnt understand what i was saying.. and that was with the telephone voice lol.
some of my co-workers are really outgoing and get on with everybody and dont have to act any different.. they are more successful in my eyes.

iv had too many bad days to do without the telephone voice.

serena77
10-21-2010, 09:05 PM
i'm the same way that MIA is. I work for child support and am on the phones all day. Sadly my phone voice doesn't disintegrate when i leave work. I wish it did... and yes i have answered my home and cell lines "thank you for calling........ "
also w/ my job we have certain things we have to say... person A says X you reply with Y ... even if Y is two paragraphs long and one sentence would suffice. Customer service isnt my beef... my beef is how structured so mch of it has gotten. ... but i like my job so structured i stay.

It would however.. .be so much easier to be a little less formal and i think at times.... it is gonna put someone a little more at ease.
serena

forevermm
10-22-2010, 03:56 AM
I know how tiresome formalities appear to some people but without them certain professions would potentially be impossible to run. Companies and individuals would have different responses for different people resulting in being open to liability that is unnecessary and yes may require a paragraph to answer as oppose to a sentence. There are times at my job when I wish to give a simple answer to a client but I must always state I cannot guarantee an outcome but more likely than not you will be able to keep the residence/get custody of the kids/etc. This is because nothing is for certainty and if it does not go the way I say the client will have a case against me to bring suit.

So in summary yes they are tiresome (like having to fill out a job application after already getting the job--it has happened to me before) but as an individual in the legal field I fully understand why it is needed.

IAmZamzam
10-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one, marwen! Indeed, there are many more frustrating pointless formalities out there than people even realize! One that always seems to get to me but no one else is everyone using, "How are you?" or, "How are you doing?," as a greeting. The thing is, even though it is rarely meant as an actual question in any capacity instead of a bizarre replacement for, "Hello," people will still often demand an answer even when it's painfully clear that they didn't mean to truly ask, because there's a custom involved and dang it YOU'D BETTER PLAY BALL! Conform, blast you! They can't stand anything interrupting the safe predictable course of routine. (Besides, I usually don't think in terms of "how I'm doing" anyway and to have to stop in my tracks and evaluate my day for everyone I ever talk to ever gets unbearable at times.)

No, don't argue. I'm sick of having to defend myself over these things. If there's anything worse than being the only person who bothers to think about something enough to realize how dumb and needless it is, it's constantly being challenged or harassed over it, and there are too many other such things for me to allow this one (one of the smaller instances) to continue.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
10-27-2010, 08:05 PM
yep you know what they say "being formal is geeky" :-\

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!