/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Fiction - a personal reflection on story writing

Amoeba
10-25-2010, 05:56 PM
This is a personal reflection on story writing.

In Islam, is fiction forbidden or frowned upon? False images of course, artistic rendering of living animate beings, especially with faces, is a severe sin. But what about other forms of fiction? It's apparently okay to draw landscapes and plants, according to one hadith, but I don't have a source of it or how reliable it is. Does anybody know what the particular hadith referring to that is or how I can find it?

Aside from that I have never heard anything about whether or not other forms of fiction are permissible, and I'm particularly curious about written fiction. I've never been a huge fan of reading fiction, in fact the last work of written fiction I paid any meaningful attention to was back in high school about five years ago... or maybe it was the one I had to do for English in college... anyway it had never been that important to me. However I did enjoy writing and drawing fiction. I no longer draw any fiction of animate beings, imaginary or not. I do space scapes now, that's about all. But I do like to write.

Written fiction comes in many forms too, like for example you get long drawn-out epic novels and on the opposite end of the scale you can get short two or three page stories. You can get shallow, meaningless stories and deep meaningful stories. You can get stories that inspire you, for good and for bad. That's something that was particularly on my mind - inspiration. You can read a novel and be influenced by it without even realising it and you can even be influenced by your own writings. This surely is not very often a good thing?

I sometimes do feel inspired by my own writings. I remember particularly in my teenage years it was an extension of my mind, a kind of world beyond this one. It was a place where my mind went, with characters that had adventures and went through trials, often trails that ran parallel to the trials I myself was experiencing at the time. The characters themselves were a part of me, not separate and what happened to them was directly linked with what happened with me. I like to think that they were perhaps different parts of my own psyche that had become anthropomorphised. I think back to these days and wonder did it do me more harm than good? I was pretty messed up, but I don't know if my story writing was a symptom or a catalyst.

I also wonder if other story writers go through similar feelings. If that is so then I can't imagine what kind of an emotional roller-coaster some of these writers go through.

In a sense it opened doors for self-discovery, after all it was at a time when I was still trying to figure out who I was and where I came from. So in one way it sounds like my means of introspection was natural for the situation. But then, my situation was not natural. I didn't know what was the right way to be, I needed guidance and had very little (and often the wrong type of guidance) so I ended up just trying a little bit of everything in hopes that I might land upon the correct way. A bit like how I explored each type of character and how they ended up further down the line in the stories.

Most of my characters had something going on with their mother, whether it was the only person they ever felt they could turn to, or they had some kind of resentment with them or they were entirely absent. The mother nearly always played a role, even when she was never present she was at least mentioned several times. My mind was exploring situations that were unlike my own. I often wonder if in Islam there is a stance on such a form of introspection. They also usually had something going on with their father too, who was usually absent except in minor characters. I mean there was this one layabout couch potato character who never moved forward in life. He seemed happy in his simplicity, actually he was a character I detested, I don't know where he ever came from. But his father was nearly exactly the same and they were like best mates. If my characters are a personification of my own mind, I hate to think where that one came from.

The stories I used to make were usually very long and elaborate. There was usually a much bigger story going on beyond the character's immediate life, like something political usually. And then it made me think that you get a lot of stories of something happening in the story that seems analogous to real life, and the reviewers will often say "Oh, yes, the author based this off such-and-such that was going on during the time of writing", but it's not always the case I don't think. I can say now that it is possible (though I never read the news or anything and was ignorant of world affairs) that the events in my stories were based off of something that was happening at the time, or something that happened in history, but it's not likely I was ever consciously aware of it. Same could apply these authors.

So, uh, that's my blithering on story writing so far. I might have more to say later. Got to go, if anyone knows the answer to my questions I'd be very grateful! Thanks.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muhaba
10-25-2010, 09:09 PM
So basically what you want to know is whether story-writing is allowed in Islam, and whether one's stories have to do with one's own self and their surroundings?

Whether fiction writing is allowed or not, i don't know. I've heard from people that fiction is telling lies so one shouldn't write stories. Additionally, it is a waste of time, especially readers' time, who might spend hours reading. (I should know. I love to read, and if i get a good book, i'll read it non-stop untill it's finished. I might finish a 300 page book in 2-3 days which is a huge waste of time!) Ant there's the verse in Surah Luqman about spreading "lahwal hadith" which stop people from the Path of Islam. So I'm not sure whether fiction writing is included in lahwal hadith. you'd want to talk to a scholar about it. try Islam Q/A.

Personally I love to write and when I stopped writing about western culture because i felt it was unislamic, I couldn't stop myself from writing fiction. And eventually I started writing islamic stories. Now i write stories that will show the islamic culture to non-muslims and i sometimes use online writing groups for this, where i write a story, then post it for feedback, in order that nonmuslims can read about the Islamic culture and who knows if someone might get interested and actually research Islam and maybe become a Muslim. I had read about someone who read the Arabian Nights and then went on to research Islam and became a Muslim.

about your second question, I've read (I believe Victoria Crayne's writing website) that every story is like a biography, though not exactly. The theme (woven throughout the story) will be based on something the author is concerned about, and that only these types of stories are the best.

Dagless
10-25-2010, 10:29 PM
I suppose it depends on your reason for reading it and how much time you spend reading it. Factual books are always good but sometimes the circumstances don't exist to convey a particular message. Metaphor is a powerful tool.

I think reading them occasionally may also increase your vocabulary - I don't know if this is true but my reasoning is that if a book is specific to one subject then the words used will only be for that one topic.

format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
Whether fiction writing is allowed or not, i don't know. I've heard from people that fiction is telling lies so one shouldn't write stories.
But by calling it fictional you are telling the truth about it being a lie. You are not misleading people.

It would be interesting to get the exact Islamic opinion.

Muhaba
10-26-2010, 12:05 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Dagless
I suppose it depends on your reason for reading it and how much time you spend reading it. Factual books are always good but sometimes the circumstances don't exist to convey a particular message. Metaphor is a powerful tool.

I think reading them occasionally may also increase your vocabulary - I don't know if this is true but my reasoning is that if a book is specific to one subject then the words used will only be for that one topic.
That is true. Also, one's writing improves by reading

But by calling it fictional you are telling the truth about it being a lie. You are not misleading people.

It would be interesting to get the exact Islamic opinion.
That is what I told the people who told me it was equivalent to lying. However, I was surprised that non-muslim writers also see fiction writing as telling lies!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
czgibson
10-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Greetings,

format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
However, I was surprised that non-muslim writers also see fiction writing as telling lies!
Yes, they do. It stands to reason, as everybody knows that a fiction is something that is made up.

Sometimes, though, it's possible to learn truths through fiction that couldn't really be accessed otherwise. For instance, many people think that Shakespeare's Hamlet expresses certain truths about the anxieties of adolescence in a way that no non-fictional account could do; there is something universal in the play that touches people from many different backgrounds, despite the fact that it is fictional.

Fiction also has the advantage of being able to present truths very powerfully. A statement of fact is often brief and to the point, whereas a work of fiction can take its time spelling out the ramifications and impressing them upon the reader.

This isn't to say that fiction is necessarily better than non-fiction - it's definitely best to have both. If I was researching the idea of totalitarianism, for example, I'd want to read both Wild Swans and 1984 amid all the other reading that would be necessary.

Peace

serena77
10-27-2010, 12:27 AM
sigh - I was a literature (english and russian major ) and a musician - threads like these make me wonder if i would ever be good enough to revert. Music is a part of my soul... (yes there's a point here ) ...its actually beneficial for me.. and for fiction... I love to read it and write it.... i do know that i can spend a lot of time .. especially reading.. but it is stress relief, it helps improve vocabulary as someone said... it can teach you about other lives that you would never think of ( living in syria... if your western for example ) ... to me it has more benefits than cons....

i love to ready.... i love to read almost anything.... including non fiction... but... i just don't know that i could give that up.
Salaam
(frustrating at times i'm sure i am)
Serena

Dagless
10-27-2010, 12:52 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by serena77
sigh - I was a literature (english and russian major ) and a musician - threads like these make me wonder if i would ever be good enough to revert. Music is a part of my soul... (yes there's a point here ) ...its actually beneficial for me.. and for fiction... I love to read it and write it.... i do know that i can spend a lot of time .. especially reading.. but it is stress relief, it helps improve vocabulary as someone said... it can teach you about other lives that you would never think of ( living in syria... if your western for example ) ... to me it has more benefits than cons....

i love to ready.... i love to read almost anything.... including non fiction... but... i just don't know that i could give that up.
Salaam
(frustrating at times i'm sure i am)
Serena
People are giving their opinion, not a ruling.

serena77
10-27-2010, 01:01 AM
Salaam Dagless
i know... but i hear the waste of time a lot. thats the part that concerns me.... Whenever i go to the library i also look for fiction dealing w/ islam.... bad thing ismy library is a postage stamp..... and a conservative postate one at that... lol .... amazon is my friend... and i've found some book sites that will send out free book/bookles.. which i'm excited over....

understand Dagless... i'm just frustrated in a lot of ways.... not in a bad way.. not in a turn and run way... just trying to get everything in my head to work.
Serena

Amoeba
10-27-2010, 09:42 AM
It was just personal opinions, if the questions could be answered, even better. But if not, I was just having a blither anyway about something that was on my mind at the time.

That and I kind of feel like writing a story, but not sure if I should. I have scenarios playing in my head as I type.

Woodrow
10-27-2010, 10:12 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by serena77
Salaam Dagless
i know... but i hear the waste of time a lot. thats the part that concerns me.... Whenever i go to the library i also look for fiction dealing w/ islam.... bad thing ismy library is a postage stamp..... and a conservative postate one at that... lol .... amazon is my friend... and i've found some book sites that will send out free book/bookles.. which i'm excited over....

understand Dagless... i'm just frustrated in a lot of ways.... not in a bad way.. not in a turn and run way... just trying to get everything in my head to work.
Serena
Sometimes we humans have the strange ability to make trials where there is no trial. If we are finding it difficult to follow our religion, perhaps we are adding in unnecessary restrictions and hardships. Allaah(swt) has made Islam easy for us. Avoid the haram enjoy the halal and do not try to make that which is halal into something haram nor try to make the haram into being halal.

A very large part of life in this dunyah is our intent. Always have the intent to please Allaah(swt) yet at the same time have no fear in enjoying that which Allaah(swt) has given us to lawfully enjoy.

Some people have been given the ability to give up all wordly desires and focus only on a life of pious prayer. Others still need to live within the realms of supporting a family, earning a halal income, facing the tribulations of other people. It seems fitting that they take rest in enjoying the halal pleasures of life. Just my opinion Astagfirullah

Muezzin
10-27-2010, 10:23 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
It was just personal opinions, if the questions could be answered, even better. But if not, I was just having a blither anyway about something that was on my mind at the time.

That and I kind of feel like writing a story, but not sure if I should. I have scenarios playing in my head as I type.
Shameless story contest plug.

IAmZamzam
10-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Fiction is not lies, for crying out loud. Lying is saying, "This happened, and I want you to believe me when I say that." Fiction is saying, "I am not pretending that this ever happened; instead, I admit that it didn't and instead am just painting a picture in your head so as to make a nonliteral point and/or entertain you." If fiction is wrong, so is making analogies. The only time when fiction is a lie is when it is falsely claimed by its author to be nonfictional (or partly nonfictional) when it isn't, such as in movies like The Fourth Kind, which is part of an elaborate, and pathetic, hoax.

Muhaba
10-27-2010, 05:47 PM
^ i never believed that stuff and it didn't stop me from writing. I did however change the kind of fiction i wrote because I didn't want to waste people's time by reading about non-muslim culture nor wanted to spread that culture because some people learn stuff from fiction stories. The verse in the Quran is was revealed when Mekkan idolators hired singing girls and (i think storytellers) to make visitors to Mekkah busy so they wouldn't hear the Prophet (SAW)'s preaching. So if fiction is used to make people astray then it would be haram, but if it is used to spread some good idea, like honesty or to make people aware of Islam and Muslim culture/life style, then I feel it is okay. And I love to write such stories and hope to never have to give it up.

M.I.A.
10-27-2010, 07:54 PM
ALRIGHT CONFESSION TIME :exhausted

im a geek!

i used to read comics (still do occasionaly :phew) and i can justify that sort of fiction, after all most of that stuff is about being ott moralistic, idealistic and self rightious... although you could argue its a way of idolising characters that do not exist.
lets face it, in this day and age there are worse role models to choose.

as for fiction as a whole, well they are the ideas of a person put to paper in abstract form... things we would not assosiate with day to day but the underlying theme is what makes any book a good read. so as a whole i dont think fictional writing is anything to be scared of if you know where the boundaries of your imagination and the real world are.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!