/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Whats behind your name?

S.Belle
10-31-2010, 04:10 AM
Whats your muslim name and why did you choose it?

Mine is Jamila and I chose it because I was taking French in highschool and you have to choose a french name (or a name from a french speaking country) and Jamila sounded pretty to me. So once i learned it was a muslim name I kept it because I was already use to being called it.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Muslimman
10-31-2010, 05:45 AM
Salam Mila / Jamila
Your name is an Arabic name and a feminine adjective that means beautiful. Its masculine form is Jamil.

Rabi Mansur
10-31-2010, 06:15 AM
I picked Mansur because it has a meaning of one who is victorious or helped by God. I felt like it was appropriate for how I came to find Islam. Rabi I picked because my given name is Robert and not much difference. I think Rabi means Spring or gentle wind. And I just realized it was in the Spring when I came to find Islam.

I would love to know what is behind other names.

:wa:

tango92
10-31-2010, 07:00 AM
i basically had no choice! my real name is Bilal. i would never change it though alhumdulillah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amoeba
10-31-2010, 07:30 AM
I don't have a muslim name. I don't even know what my name means. Some say it's a combination of two names (Kay + Leigh = Kayleigh). Some say it is a long form of Kay which means "key" or "keeper of the key" (???). Some say it's derived from another name and has changed its pronunciation and spelling over the years (Kalila ... "beloved"???). Some say it is an entirely made up name originally made up for a pop song. Some say only the spelling was made up for the song.

With so many definitions claiming to be correct, I have no idea what my name really means. At this point nor do I really care, lol, there's just too many definitions.

Rafeeq
10-31-2010, 08:15 AM
My name Rafeeq, an arabic word which means friend and I chose it because I have a very friendly nature and very easily approachable personality.

S.Belle
10-31-2010, 04:11 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
I don't have a muslim name.
you havent chose a name yet?
did you want something that sounded close to your name because its really pretty...maybe Khalilah.

Amoeba
10-31-2010, 09:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mila

you havent chose a name yet?
did you want something that sounded close to your name because its really pretty...maybe Khalilah.
Do we have to choose one?

I don't think my name has any negative or blasphemous meaning so I should be able to just use that one? I can't ever imagine being referred to as anything else other than this one...

Just curious, is Khalilah the correct way to spell it, or is that a different name?

S.Belle
10-31-2010, 09:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
Just curious, is Khalilah the correct way to spell it, or is that a different name?

a different name it means good friend

Im really not sure but most people choose to change their name due to the fact that their original name is associated with a religion other than Islam or having a muslim name distinguishes them from being christian, buddist, etc.
this will answer your question inshallah

http://muslimconverts.com/muslimname...anges-name.htm

But I know that you are suppose to give your children good muslim names

You would be called with your names and your father’s names on the Day of Judgment, so give good (graceful) names to your children. (Abu Dawud)

serena77
10-31-2010, 11:35 PM
i found an extremely close variation to Serena being islamic... now i can't find it .. and don't remember the meaning...
serena turns up in a lot of languages.. not totally surprised, french, latin, spanish.. and as a saint in roman times... i wish i could find the islamic version/meaning.
Serena

Woodrow
10-31-2010, 11:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by serena77
i found an extremely close variation to Serena being islamic... now i can't find it .. and don't remember the meaning...
serena turns up in a lot of languages.. not totally surprised, french, latin, spanish.. and as a saint in roman times... i wish i could find the islamic version/meaning.
Serena
Some possibilities:

Sarrinah = Beautiful, companion of prophet (S.A.W)

Shareen = Sweet

Sherana = Sweet

Shereen = Sweet, kind hearted and beautiful

Sireen = She was the daughter of Ibn Abdullah Ibn Masood and a narrator of Hadith from the Prophet (S.A.W), another narrator of Hadith by the same name was the sister of Mariah al-Qabtiyah; al-Maqooqus of Egyp

Sabreen = Patience, endurance

serena77
10-31-2010, 11:50 PM
hi guess sarrinah is the closest...
umm showing my ignorance.... but ... companion different than wife?
Salaam
Serena

S.Belle
10-31-2010, 11:51 PM
Serena
probably sireen (Wife of Prophet's(pbuh) companion Hassan ibn Thabit) or selina (moon, salty)

Woodrow
10-31-2010, 11:55 PM
hi guess sarrinah is the closest...
umm showing my ignorance.... but ... companion different than wife?
Salaam
Serena
More like a disciple. Although unlike disciples, we do not follow any person. we follow the message they revealed. We do not actually follow Muhammad(PBUH), we followed what He followed. Therefor the people who followed along with him are better called his companions and not his disciples or followers. They were all companions in the following of the Qur'an.

جوري
11-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Serena
a dear brother of mine named his daughter Serene that is close to Serena .. after ibn Sireen (the dream interpreter)

:w:

serena77
11-01-2010, 12:45 AM
thank you for taking the time to explain that. it does make sense. and i said sarrinah was prolly the closest due due to pronunciation... serena in other languages means everything from - calm child ( why i was named it ) was samantha's evil cousin for anything who used to watch bewitched... to cloudless and my personal "favorite -choke" is postman.

Muslimman
11-02-2010, 08:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ

a dear brother of mine named his daughter Serene that is close to Serena .. after ibn Sireen (the dream interpreter)

:w:
I read that it means mermaid :)

Muslimman
11-02-2010, 08:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rafeeq
My name Rafeeq, an arabic word which means friend and I chose it because I have a very friendly nature and very easily approachable personality.
Salam Rafeeq,
Your names also means kind, mild and gentle :)

tigerkhan
11-02-2010, 01:44 PM
:sl:
i like tigers so i choose it and khan......i dont know....yes our ancesters are from afghanistan and they came to indo-pak with emperor Shahabuddin Ghori (i forgot the name of that king but its 12th century)

Woodrow
11-02-2010, 01:53 PM

My Islamic name is Abullah Muhammad. I chose Abdullah as it means servant of Allaah(swt) and that is what I desire to be. The Imam at the Masjid in Tyler, Texas suggested I add Muhammad as a constant reminder to have our Prophet(PBUH) as my role model.

'Abd Al-Maajid
11-02-2010, 01:55 PM
I had no choice either of choosing a name for myself. But Alhamdulillah my name, Abdul Mājid reads Slave of the Glorified One. :statisfie

Cabdullahi
11-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Serena
shireera = evil lady

im kidding madame williams

My real name is Ahmed and my user name i chose is 'Abdullahii' because its a typical somali name .
the short form is simply 'ABDI'...its mostly associated with freshies.....

Kamran ,khan,mubashar, junaid would all be the pakistani equivalents

tigerkhan
11-02-2010, 04:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Abdullahii
My real name is Ahmed and my user name 'Abdullahii'.....is a typical somali name the short form is simply 'ABDI'...its mostly associated with freshies.....
bro u r from somali or pakistan.....

purple
11-02-2010, 04:08 PM
my usernme is my real name. n it means Blossom in somali

S.Belle
11-02-2010, 05:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tigerkhan
i like tigers so i choose it and khan......i dont know....yes our ancesters are from afghanistan and they came to indo-pak with emperor Shahabuddin Ghori (i forgot the name of that king but its 12th century)

um bro i meant your muslim name (if you reverted) not username...but if you had no choice in deciding your name then just post your name and its meaning (if you would like)

Cabdullahi
11-02-2010, 05:45 PM
bro u r from somali or pakistan.....
Oor! kya hal hey! mujhe aap ki bahut kami mehsoos huwi.......

nah man i dont eat pakoras and curry frequently so im not a pakistani

tango92
11-02-2010, 05:49 PM
shireera = evil lady

My real name is Ahmed and my user name i chose is 'Abdullahii' because its a typical somali name .

Wodia!!!!!!!!!

Muhaba
11-02-2010, 06:45 PM
i chose muhaba which (i believe) means beloved in arabic becuase everyone loves me. LOL. and so i thought that name was appropriate, but it's not my real name. in urdu, the t at the end of the word is also pronounced so the word is muhabat which means love and since i love everything and everyone in the universe, that is also appropriate.

Abdulahii your name reminds me of Abdullah Ibn Abbas who was the cousin of the Prophet SAW and also a mufassir.

shuraimfan4lyf
11-03-2010, 02:10 AM
shireera = evil lady

Lol, I know so many Somalis named Abdullahii. Ya'll usually pick Abdullahii, Mohammed, Yusuf, Omar for names. Just sayin.

format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
Wodia!!!!!!!!!
;D

tigerkhan
11-03-2010, 03:50 AM
Oor! kya hal hey! mujhe aap ki bahut kami mehsoos huwi.......

nah man i dont eat pakoras and curry frequently so im not a pakistani
ham great.....asal ma i when i was in university i have many somali friends...i live in hostel for forigener student for 1 year...i like somalis..they are down to earth and nice ahhlaq...

IslamicRevival
11-03-2010, 03:52 AM
Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out whats behind my name. Total self destruction

Cabdullahi
11-03-2010, 08:14 AM
ham great.....asal ma i when i was in university i have many somali friends...i live in hostel for forigener student for 1 year...i like somalis..they are down to earth and nice ahhlaq...
are you sure ur not just saying that.....the good somalis are very quiet and polite....always putting others first thats how they are.....but the bad ones are just crazy

tigerkhan
11-03-2010, 09:55 AM
are you sure ur not just saying that.....the good somalis are very quiet and polite....always putting others first thats how they are.....but the bad ones are just crazy
oh maybe its bcz i have meet a very small no in univeristy and mashallh all are good....but i dont know much abt the other ppl in their country....but one day i was seeing that somalia is at top in corruption......then afganistan...then iraq...and pakistan is on 34 no.......actually we ppl iraqi, afghan, paki, somali are not bad...its american where they go...they gift the local ppl corruption, sucide bomber, and failed infrastructure...they never let these countries to develop their system....bcz in this case they will start growing and get rid of america....

Cabdullahi
11-03-2010, 11:01 AM
oh maybe its bcz i have meet a very small no in univeristy and mashallh all are good....but i dont know much abt the other ppl in their country....but one day i was seeing that somalia is at top in corruption......then afganistan...then iraq...and pakistan is on 34 no.......actually we ppl iraqi, afghan, paki, somali are not bad...its american where they go...they gift the local ppl corruption, sucide bomber, and failed infrastructure...they never let these countries to develop their system....bcz in this case they will start growing and get rid of america....
there is some truth in that....

Muhaba
11-03-2010, 03:31 PM
^Who said my previous name was savgi? my name on this forum was always muhaba. i did use other name's on other boards, sometimes my real name sometimes another but never used anything like savgi.

Cabdullahi
11-03-2010, 03:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
^Who said my previous name was savgi? my name on this forum was always muhaba. i did use other name's on other boards, sometimes my real name sometimes another but never used anything like savgi.
i dont know there was guy called sevgi who used ur avatar...it might have been a sister...i dont know

Muhaba
11-03-2010, 03:51 PM
and how many people use the same avatar? I suppose they are all the same person.

Samiro
11-03-2010, 07:33 PM
My name is Samir and means friend. I was born a Samir.

S.Belle
11-03-2010, 09:18 PM
A lot of people keep posting their username and its meaning this is not what I mean :)
I am asking new muslims (hence under the new muslim section :p) what they chose as their muslim name and why they chose it.
Since a few born muslims have posted I guess its okay to post your name and its meaning since you had no say so in choicing your name.

Muhaba
11-03-2010, 10:19 PM
^ oh i didn't realize that. you should've pointed out in your first post.

BTW i just want to point out that a new revert doesn't need to change their nonmuslim name upon reverting unless the name has a kuffar meaning, for example if a name means "disobedient" or is the name of an idol. So for example if the name Serena means calm there's no need to change it.

Cabdullahi
11-03-2010, 10:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by muhaba
and how many people use the same avatar? I suppose they are all the same person.
Hahaha.......NOT!

Sevgi liked To take part in story writing comps and also loved writing poems ......you do similar things....so I thought you changed your name

Muhaba
11-03-2010, 11:19 PM
^oooh so i have a twin. did he write everything else like me as well? Are my my posts very much like his?

Luke90
11-11-2010, 02:39 PM
I don't think it's required to change your name, and Personally I don't plan on changing it any time soon/ever.

My name is Luke, and I don't even think there is an Arabic translation for that?..(if there is feel free to correct me?).

however, IF I was to change my name, I've always been fond of Yusuf.

Woodrow
11-11-2010, 06:21 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Luke90
I don't think it's required to change your name, and Personally I don't plan on changing it any time soon/ever.

My name is Luke, and I don't even think there is an Arabic translation for that?..(if there is feel free to correct me?).

however, IF I was to change my name, I've always been fond of Yusuf.

It is of Greek origin from the word Loukas, meaning a person from Lucania an ancient region in Italy. As a name I doubt very much it has an Arabic equivalent.

User29123
11-11-2010, 11:59 PM
My name is Asim and I did not get to choose it but my parents chose a good name. It means "Protector Guardian" in Arabic (its a Arabic name) I LOVE my name.....:statisfie

Luke90
11-12-2010, 04:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow

It is of Greek origin from the word Loukas, meaning a person from Lucania an ancient region in Italy. As a name I doubt very much it has an Arabic equivalent.
Yeh, I've looked into my name origin before, it also roots from the ancient Greek word 'Lukos' which means Wolf and Bringer of Light.

IF I was to ever change my name to an Arabic Name I'd probably chose Yusuf.

sebil
11-14-2010, 01:21 PM
Muslim names are the best names :)

sebil
11-14-2010, 01:23 PM
Name in Islam is importan but much better is that your work good deeds which will be prove of your nice muslim name

coolhaseena786
11-14-2010, 09:26 PM
My real name is Mariam which is the Arabic meaning of Mary. My name basically means Mother of Isa (Jesus). I'm a Muslim born, didn't had any choice over my name but am not always very happy with my name though, don't know why I'm usually sad, depressed and never happy even how many times I try to be happy, it just never comes. I also don't like my sur/last name because of having a not so good caring father who always treated us as if we were his step kids. I always wanted to change my name to any beautiful meaning though. I love the meaning of lucky, Angel, God gifted, beautiful or more than beautiful. God gifted best describes me as an individual because Allah (swt) gave me a gift of having colorful eyes and a very fair skin complexion completely out of my parents genes. Personality-wise, a lot of people say I'm sweet, responsible, loving and caring and down to earth.

My friend had converted/reverted to Islam mash Allah subhanAllah and I think the Muslim name he chose is Sultan but his real name means water. My question is, if his non-Muslim name means Water, is that ok?

My other question, is it ok if I change my surname to my mom's sur/last name?

S.Belle
11-14-2010, 09:54 PM
why would u want to change it to ur mom's i understand ur dad may not be all that great i can relate my biological was NEVER there for me and still is not. Even on graduation day or birthdays. Just keep bc when i took my step father's last name even though i love him more than my real father i felt like i lost something very important besides u will only regret it and hurt ur father in the process so keep ur father's name bc Allah has gifted you with that as well

coolhaseena786
11-15-2010, 03:15 AM
why would u want to change it to ur mom's i understand ur dad may not be all that great i can relate my biological was NEVER there for me and still is not. Even on graduation day or birthdays. Just keep bc when i took my step father's last name even though i love him more than my real father i felt like i lost something very important besides u will only regret it and hurt ur father in the process so keep ur father's name bc Allah has gifted you with that as well
I was just thinking because of a certain reasons especially here in America where people get suspicious especially while applying for jobs. I've heard some Pakistanis say that Islam allows us to keep our mother's first name, that's why I thought about it. Going back to my first name, in some non-Muslim religions, my name has a bitter meaning to it and a lot of people can't pronounce and spell my name right regardless of how many times I tell them the correct pronunciation. That's why I'm thinking about keeping my real name but applying a different name in the jobs.

S.Belle
11-15-2010, 07:57 AM
oh i apologized sis i misunderstood ur reasoning...but i got no clue.....maybe u should ask a scholar..or maybe post ur own topic about it under the advice section that way more ppl will see ur question and help...*big hug*

coolhaseena786
11-26-2010, 07:52 AM
oh i apologized sis i misunderstood ur reasoning...but i got no clue.....maybe u should ask a scholar..or maybe post ur own topic about it under the advice section that way more ppl will see ur question and help...*big hug*
JazakAllah sis...it's ok...it happens...I also thought about posting it under the advice section and I will...thank you sis...*big hugs*

yazan
11-27-2010, 10:43 AM
salam alikum
my name (yazan) is not islamic name .
its the name of famous king was in history , he was good person and hero .

Amira_Zelda
01-07-2011, 07:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by coolhaseena786
I was just thinking because of a certain reasons especially here in America where people get suspicious especially while applying for jobs. I've heard some Pakistanis say that Islam allows us to keep our mother's first name, that's why I thought about it. Going back to my first name, in some non-Muslim religions, my name has a bitter meaning to it and a lot of people can't pronounce and spell my name right regardless of how many times I tell them the correct pronunciation. That's why I'm thinking about keeping my real name but applying a different name in the jobs.
:( thats unfortunate that that type of discrimination exists... InshaAllah.. i hope you never ecounter such a thing...

Well.. my name is Jessica, but as you can see in my username, i am also known as Amira Zelda
lol... ehh at first , before i cam a muslim I was already studying Arabic and I learned that the word for Princess is Amira
and since im a big fan of the video games..The Legend of Zelda.. I decided to change my name to "Amira Zelda" just for fun..

but now that i am muslim i guess i can stay with Amira :P i like it its very nice..
though the origin of Zelda is questionable .. it can also be Selda.. a turkish name but the meaning and origin i believe is Old-German meaning "dark battle" or warrior ! cool ! ^__^

elina
01-07-2011, 06:37 PM
my name means either.... shining light...ray of sun or bright light depending where i look for meanings .... i guess that is okay to keep as i dont have a muslim name

MustafaMc
01-08-2011, 03:04 AM
I chose my name, Mustafa, because it means 'chosen' and was one of the names that Prophet Muhammad (sal alahu alayhi wa salaam) was known by. I kept my family (last) name and my father's first name as it was also a part of my given name at birth. I dropped the name that I was known by for 44 years of my life even though I was fond of it as part of my personal identity. Even though I don't think it is neccessary for a revert to change his name, I did so because I wanted to be known as a Muslim and because it was a point of personal decision for me where there would be no turning back away from Islam, insha'Allah.

GreyKode
01-08-2011, 08:42 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by MustafaMc
I chose my name, Mustafa, because it means 'chosen' and was one of the names that Prophet Muhammad (sal alahu alayhi wa salaam) was known by. I kept my family (last) name and my father's first name as it was also a part of my given name at birth. I dropped the name that I was known by for 44 years of my life even though I was fond of it as part of my personal identity. Even though I don't think it is neccessary for a revert to change his name, I did so because I wanted to be known as a Muslim and because it was a point of personal decision for me where there would be no turning back away from Islam, insha'Allah.
Assalamu alaikum,

It is such a happy moment to have respectable members such as yourself visit the forum every once in a while :). May Allah(swt) bless u and ur family.

MustafaMc
01-08-2011, 09:19 AM
Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu, Brother GreyKode, Jazak allah khayran for your kind words. My name also gives me the opportunity to tell people I meet that I am a Muslim and for them to ask me any questions about Islam they may have.

sherz_umr
01-08-2011, 10:32 AM
hi al..
Thanks woodrow for the meanings.
My moms a christian and my dads a muslim. After my brother was born,my mom named him 'shabin' as it sounded neutral to her. My dads brother (mom and uncle dont like each other and argue a lot regarding pretty much everything,especialy religion) went to get his birth certificate,and he added 'feroz'. It realy upset her. When i was born,mom dint bother to be nice. She told 'sherin' and wanted to add her name after it (susan) to make it sound solid christian. The shrewd uncle made it 'shereen' without the susan. By the time my mom realisd it was a muslim name..it was too late.
But everybody calls me sherin anyway and i like my name because its both christian and muslim.
Does anybody know What shabin, omar and susan means?

Mohamed Issa
01-08-2011, 11:59 AM
I had no choice of choosing a name for myself for i'm born Muslim. But Alhamdulillah my name is Mohamed I thank Allah that my Dad named me that. Mohamed means praiseworthy its also the Holy Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) name. As for the sister who asked what does Omar mean it means flourishing, long-lived, eloquent and gifted speaker. Also sister worship Allah (SWT) forget Christianity its false man-made evil.

ardianto
01-08-2011, 04:19 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sherz_umr
Does anybody know What shabin, omar and susan means?
Shabin = Of night, music of night (origin : Persian)
Susan = Lily (origin : Hebrew)

Hossam Al-Deen
01-08-2011, 04:46 PM
My real name is Hossam, which means sword. And I learned that in a lot of [Islamic] poetry the term they use is "Hossam Ad-Deen", which means "Sword of Faith." And I thought it was an interesting name.

sherz_umr
01-08-2011, 04:59 PM
Dooooode! Thanks a lot!! Been trying to find the meaning of his name for years..
:D

ardianto
01-08-2011, 05:13 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by sherz_umr
Dooooode! Thanks a lot!! Been trying to find the meaning of his name for years..
For years ....... ???????

Why don't you ask Mr.Google ?. He showed me the answers only in a moment !

The keywords were "baby names shabin" and "baby names susan"

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-08-2011, 05:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by
Susan = Lily (origin : Hebrew)
I never knew that Susan was of Hebrew origin.

Abdul-Raouf
01-08-2011, 06:23 PM
Mohamed Muzammil (praiseworthy | wrapped one) is my real name ..my father named me.... Those are our leader Prophet (SAS)' names.

and my IB user name is Slave of The Most Merciful.... i chose that..

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-08-2011, 06:27 PM
^ There is a slight difference between Merciful and Compassionate.

Endymion
01-08-2011, 06:58 PM
My name means Good news :D It is written in the Holy Quraan for about 15 times :shade: Two times my name is written in Quran with the name of Noble Prophet Ibraheem AS :shade:
And there are other reasons so i love my name so much :statisfie

'Abd Al-Maajid
01-08-2011, 07:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
My name means Good news :D It is written in the Holy Quraan for about 15 times :shade: Two times my name is written in Quran with the name of Noble Prophet Ibraheem AS :shade:
And there are other reasons so i love my name so much :statisfie
Islamic quizzes go here. http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...c-riddles.html :D

Endymion
01-09-2011, 12:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by abdulmājid

Islamic quizzes go here.
:lol: you are funny :D

Esther462
01-13-2011, 05:28 PM
I really like Layla. It means night princess. I chose it as its simular to my birth name but I am quite scared of the dark tho. I dont really use it. I still use my birth name as it is the wife of 1 of the prophets in the new testment. That name means Oath of God. I think that sutes me better than night princess.

Mr Fussy
01-18-2011, 11:47 AM
My name is Sa'ad chosen by my parents, so I had no infulencce on the choice other than being born.

Saad is a male Arabic given name that means lucky and 22nd day of moon.

Saad ibn Abī Waqqās was an early convert to Islam and one of the important companions of the Islamic prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
Born in 595, Sa'd was from the Banu Zuhrah clan of the Quraysh tribe,[1] and was a cousin to Aminah bint Wahb, mother of Muhammad.
He was one of the first to accept Islam.[1]
Sa'ad relates:
“ When my mother heard the news of my Islam, she flew into a rage. She came up to me and said: "O Sa'ad! What is this religion that you have embraced which has taken you away from the religion of your mother and father...? By God, either you forsake your new religion or I would not eat or drink until I die. Your heart would be broken with grief for me and remorse would consume you on account of the deed, you have done and people would censure you forever more.' 'Don't do (such a thing), my mother,' I said, 'for I would not give up my religion for anything.' However, she went on with her threat... For days she neither ate nor drank. She became emaciated and weak."
"Hour after hour, I went to her asking whether I should bring her some food or something to drink but she persistently refused, insisting that she would neither eat nor drink until she died or I abandoned my religion. I said to her, 'Yaa Ummaah! In spite of my strong love for you, my love for Allah and His Messenger is indeed stronger. By Allah, if you had a thousand souls and each one depart one after another, I would not abandon this religion for anything.' When she saw that I was determined she relented unwillingly and ate and drank.”

This was referenced in the Qur'anic verse 31:14-15.[1]'

Endymion
01-18-2011, 12:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mr Fussy
My name is Sa'ad chosen by my parents, so I had no infulencce on the choice other than being born.

Saad is a male Arabic given name that means lucky and 22nd day of moon.

Saad ibn Abī Waqqās was an early convert to Islam and one of the important companions of the Islamic prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
Born in 595, Sa'd was from the Banu Zuhrah clan of the Quraysh tribe,[1] and was a cousin to Aminah bint Wahb, mother of Muhammad.
He was one of the first to accept Islam.[1]
Sa'ad relates:
“ When my mother heard the news of my Islam, she flew into a rage. She came up to me and said: "O Sa'ad! What is this religion that you have embraced which has taken you away from the religion of your mother and father...? By God, either you forsake your new religion or I would not eat or drink until I die. Your heart would be broken with grief for me and remorse would consume you on account of the deed, you have done and people would censure you forever more.' 'Don't do (such a thing), my mother,' I said, 'for I would not give up my religion for anything.' However, she went on with her threat... For days she neither ate nor drank. She became emaciated and weak."
"Hour after hour, I went to her asking whether I should bring her some food or something to drink but she persistently refused, insisting that she would neither eat nor drink until she died or I abandoned my religion. I said to her, 'Yaa Ummaah! In spite of my strong love for you, my love for Allah and His Messenger is indeed stronger. By Allah, if you had a thousand souls and each one depart one after another, I would not abandon this religion for anything.' When she saw that I was determined she relented unwillingly and ate and drank.”

This was referenced in the Qur'anic verse 31:14-15.[1]'
Subhanallah,what a true believer he was.Thanks for sharing the meaning and the touching story of Saad RA.May you follow the right path and become a successful one :)

Mr Fussy
01-18-2011, 01:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Endymion
Subhanallah,what a true believer he was.Thanks for sharing the meaning and the touching story of Saad RA.May you follow the right path and become a successful one :)
Ameeen Jazakallah khair :)

ApakalypsE
01-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Christopher is a christian name it means christ-bearer,havent chosen an islamic name I am still very new and would need help in choosing one.

Mr Fussy
01-18-2011, 02:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ApakalypsE
Christopher is a christian name it means christ-bearer,havent chosen an islamic name I am still very new and would need help in choosing one.

I have always liked the name Yaseen.... You could consider the name Isa like in the Prophet Isa (PBUH) better known as Jesus to christian's.

ardianto
01-18-2011, 03:59 PM
I have always liked the name Yaseen....
That's my uncle. :D

In exactly my aunt's husband. I call him uncle Yasin, but people in his place call him ustadz Yasin.

ApakalypsE
01-18-2011, 04:12 PM
I would not think I could live up to that name Akhi.And I dont think christopher is contradictory to Islam as Isa (P.B.U.H.) was a prophet,just not the final messenger to mankind.I had my doubts about christianity at a young age as far as the theory of trinity it just didnt make sense to me,First Why would Allah need a son?Secondly If Allah wanted a son why would Allah let him be crucified,And Isa (P.B.U.H.) even wasm related to have said to worship only Allah.Also being a student of history and learning of the council of Nicea ,The dead sea scrolls and other different things I knew something didnt make sense ya know?And then I heard the most beautifull thing the recitation and the adhan in arabic as it was intended,It still brings tears to my eyes,My heart feels as if it is about to burst,and there is a feeling of such happiness and peace.What is the meaning of Yaseen?I was thinking Ali,or Hamza

ardianto
01-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Name Yaseen/Yasin is taken from name of the 36th surah in Qur'an.

Mr Fussy
01-18-2011, 10:24 PM
I would not think I could live up to that name Akhi.And I dont think christopher is contradictory to Islam as Isa (P.B.U.H.) was a prophet,just not the final messenger to mankind.I had my doubts about christianity at a young age as far as the theory of trinity it just didnt make sense to me,First Why would Allah need a son?Secondly If Allah wanted a son why would Allah let him be crucified,And Isa (P.B.U.H.) even wasm related to have said to worship only Allah.Also being a student of history and learning of the council of Nicea ,The dead sea scrolls and other different things I knew something didnt make sense ya know?And then I heard the most beautifull thing the recitation and the adhan in arabic as it was intended,It still brings tears to my eyes,My heart feels as if it is about to burst,and there is a feeling of such happiness and peace.What is the meaning of Yaseen?I was thinking Ali,or Hamza

Brother I do like the name Hamza.

Hamza Ibn ‘Abdul-Muttalib.

(In Arabic: حمزة إبن عبد المطلب) [b.568-d.625] was the paternal uncle of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), and his foster-brother. He and Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) were raised together as they were almost the same age. With excellence in the arts of wrestling and swordsmanship. Hadrat Hamza used his talents and experience to its best in the cause of Islam and earned the title of "Chief of the Martyrs" from Muhammad. Hamza was very fond of wrestling and hunting. He took great interest in swordsmanship and archery.

ApakalypsE
01-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Brother I do like the name Hamza.

Hamza Ibn ‘Abdul-Muttalib.

(In Arabic: حمزة إبن عبد المطلب) [b.568-d.625] was the paternal uncle of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), and his foster-brother. He and Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) were raised together as they were almost the same age. With excellence in the arts of wrestling and swordsmanship. Hadrat Hamza used his talents and experience to its best in the cause of Islam and earned the title of "Chief of the Martyrs" from Muhammad. Hamza was very fond of wrestling and hunting. He took great interest in swordsmanship and archery.
Asallaam Alaykum

I have never practiced Swordfighting:D. I do have some experience in hunting and the military sciences.Coming from a rural area with a paternal grandfather who was fullblooded cherokee indian i learned to hunt at an early age it's just a way of life for my family.Not much as far as fighting goes I know how to but I really do not enjoy it I would much rather be a talented healer.As i stated i would like to get to know some longtime muslim brothers and sisters with helping with the name.I think my name should reflect who i am.^o)

S.Belle
01-18-2011, 11:39 PM
^how about
Abdus Shafi it means Slave of the Healer
or Sahiem mean warrior...the whole hunting thing...

try this site inshallah it will help
search by meaning http://www.names4muslims.com/meaning...0&meaning=hunt
List of Male names http://www.names4muslims.com/baby-boys.php

Ramadhan
01-19-2011, 12:03 AM
unless your name means something bad, you do not have to change your name when you revert. But you are allowed to, of course.

Mr Fussy
01-19-2011, 11:40 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
That's my uncle. :D

In exactly my aunt's husband. I call him uncle Yasin, but people in his place call him ustadz Yasin.
Alhumdulliah your uncle has a great name.

Asallaam Alaykum

I have never practiced Swordfighting:D. I do have some experience in hunting and the military sciences.Coming from a rural area with a paternal grandfather who was fullblooded cherokee indian i learned to hunt at an early age it's just a way of life for my family.Not much as far as fighting goes I know how to but I really do not enjoy it I would much rather be a talented healer.As i stated i would like to get to know some longtime muslim brothers and sisters with helping with the name.I think my name should reflect who i am.^o)

Shaaf means one who gives health or Shafin he who cures. Two names you could consider.

highway4
01-20-2011, 01:38 AM
assalamu alaikum,

It is sunnah to change your name if it contains anything haram
Its also encouraged to choose the best of names because the best of names we have in this life will be what we are called by in paradise INSHALLAH!

Allah swt knows best

~ Sabr ~
06-17-2012, 01:12 PM
Just bumping this thread up for our new members....

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!