/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I want to learn arabic - i need help

tango92
11-14-2010, 07:28 PM
can anyone recommend me some good books on classical arabic? this will probably be a solo venture in my spare time. May Allah grant me time and strength.

also have people messed up arabic studies by having "different interpretations" of words depending on what agenda theyre trying to push? eg like we have sunni, shia, salafi and whatnot. have these people managed to start huge arguments over meanings of words? because its gonna make the job much harder than it should be.....

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
coolhaseena786
11-14-2010, 08:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tango92
can anyone recommend me some good books on classical arabic? this will probably be a solo venture in my spare time. May Allah grant me time and strength.

also have people messed up arabic studies by having "different interpretations" of words depending on what agenda theyre trying to push? eg like we have sunni, shia, salafi and whatnot. have these people managed to start huge arguments over meanings of words? because its gonna make the job much harder than it should be.....
I completely agree with you, people had misunderstood Arabic studies by having different interpretations. I think the best way to learn is take an Arabic class. Try your local Islamic book stores to find yourself a book. I don't know the name of any good Arabic books but I do know there possibly might be some Arabic dictionaries where you can also learn from. I've took French in high school, most of the learning was from a textbook. Hope this helps.

the_middle_road
11-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Assalamu alaikum

I teach Arabic classes online. I can't post links yet so let me know if you're interested to know more.

S.Belle
11-14-2010, 10:33 PM
videos
http://puremotivation.your-talk.com/...iting-t331.htm

website
http://www.arabic-studio.com/

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
- Qatada -
11-15-2010, 10:37 AM
:salamext:

http://www.islamicboard.com/arabic/4...-allaah-9.html

http://linguisticmiracle.com/alphabet.htm

tango92
11-15-2010, 07:15 PM
jazakallah to every1, i can make a start now. im really interested to know are there any instances where different madhabs disagree on the meanings of a word?

~Raindrop~
11-15-2010, 07:19 PM
If you're just starting out in baby Arabic, there's no way you need to concern yourself with that. As with other languages, certain words have a number of meanings. Concentrate on the ones that are used most, and you'll pick up the others as you go along inshaAllah. Don't make it more difficult than it has to be. =)

tango92
11-15-2010, 08:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aisha
If you're just starting out in baby Arabic, there's no way you need to concern yourself with that. As with other languages, certain words have a number of meanings. Concentrate on the ones that are used most, and you'll pick up the others as you go along inshaAllah. Don't make it more difficult than it has to be. =)
jazakAllah khair. i was worried i would be spending more time trying to discover the "correct" meaning of a word than learning them

gang4
11-16-2010, 05:57 AM
Here is another baby approach to learn Arabic if you are interested...

DISCLAIMER: Btw, due to lack of a better word, I am using the word "parrot" with no intention to insult.....

Problem arised when I tried to memorize surah l-Duha.First day, If I recalled correctly, I could memorized 8 ayat...
Few days later, only 4 ayats remain in my memory...
In weeks, I lost them all.

Same thing has happened when I tried to memorize surah l-Layl, l-Shams etc...

I also try to learn Tajweed, honestly.... it is boring...and also went to nowhere...

I asked myself what I am going to do with the unacceptable situations?

By Allah's guidance, Alhamdullillah....when I was youtubing... I listened to EL-Fassy recitation of Surah Ibrahim ayah 28-end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVFc1MzLEC8

It is so beautiful...I downloaded it, play it over and over again....Using zekr software transliteration (download it from zekr.org)...I recited Surah Ibrahim mimicking/imitating Mr.Elfassy...I stop where he stops...parroting all the way tot he end of the surah...

What I learned:

* For now, I do not have to worry about Tajweed since they (Elfassy,Saad Ghamadi) are well known reciter

* I learned a bit of tajweed...I do not know the name of the rules.. but it is written in transliteration Ilahun Wahid....I used to pronounced with the 'n' sound (Ilahun)
but after many repetition...I heard it sounds like (Ilahuww).. So,I corrected myself.

* God knows myheart and intention, I am trying to state a fact not having an ego trip, pride ,boasting etc....
I believe after many repetition suddenly I stuck with a realization, I have memorized surah Ibrahim from Ayah 28 - end....This is a big accomplishment for me!

Alhamdullillah, it is still in my memory after many years later.....

* Since I know now the sound of the ayat (S. Ibrahim 28-end), I reverse the process by reading it in Arabic....I train my eyes to recognize the Arabic words with almost no problems how to pronounce them.

* I am pickup up words and their meanings...One day I went to Friday Jummah Shalat, The Imam recited Ayat Al-Qur'an which I can identified from which surah...Also, it struck me when I understood the meaning some of the ayat...I was not in front of my computer that means I understood that particular ayat in Arabiyya!

According to the expert, Qur'an root word or Iqra' has two meaning: To read or to recite.
What is the difference? One is with the other is without the sound. (at least, to my understanding)

Sound plays a major role how to memorize Al-Qur'an.
I parrot to EL-Fassy Surah Albaqarah, Ibrahim, Qiyamah etc....
I parrot to Saad-Ghamadi to surah An-Nissa,Isra, Maryam,Furqan,Ghaffir,Fussilat etc...

This method is far from perfect, I can only recite so far selected surah/ayat only but at least now I can recite AL-Qur'an in Arabiyya for an hour or two easy (boring part is never involved because it is so beautiful...I love to do it, I want to do it...hence, absence the horror of boredomness)

BTW, I am an illiterate person in Arabic....

According to AL-Qu'ran our Rasullah S.A.W is also an Ummi (illiterate) sen to the qaum of Ummi (Illiterate)...
I used to think this happed 1400 years ago...Nope, it is still happening....out of 1.5 billion muslim in the world, I am sure a majority of them are illiterate in Arabic just like me...

So, How did the illiterate Rasullah shahabah (close-friend) memorize Al-Qur'an? by imitating/parroting the sound which pretty much the same what I am doing now....

Another approach, is to go corpus.quran.com
they listed 77,430 words some words are repetitions...the unique words probably only around 13,000-14,000 (I forget the exact figures)

tango92
11-17-2010, 07:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by gang4
Here is another baby approach to learn Arabic if you are interested...

DISCLAIMER: Btw, due to lack of a better word, I am using the word "parrot" with no intention to insult.....

Problem arised when I tried to memorize surah l-Duha.First day, If I recalled correctly, I could memorized 8 ayat...
Few days later, only 4 ayats remain in my memory...
In weeks, I lost them all.

Same thing has happened when I tried to memorize surah l-Layl, l-Shams etc...

I also try to learn Tajweed, honestly.... it is boring...and also went to nowhere...

I asked myself what I am going to do with the unacceptable situations?

By Allah's guidance, Alhamdullillah....when I was youtubing... I listened to EL-Fassy recitation of Surah Ibrahim ayah 28-end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVFc1MzLEC8

It is so beautiful...I downloaded it, play it over and over again....Using zekr software transliteration (download it from zekr.org)...I recited Surah Ibrahim mimicking/imitating Mr.Elfassy...I stop where he stops...parroting all the way tot he end of the surah...

What I learned:

* For now, I do not have to worry about Tajweed since they (Elfassy,Saad Ghamadi) are well known reciter

* I learned a bit of tajweed...I do not know the name of the rules.. but it is written in transliteration Ilahun Wahid....I used to pronounced with the 'n' sound (Ilahun)
but after many repetition...I heard it sounds like (Ilahuww).. So,I corrected myself.

* God knows myheart and intention, I am trying to state a fact not having an ego trip, pride ,boasting etc....
I believe after many repetition suddenly I stuck with a realization, I have memorized surah Ibrahim from Ayah 28 - end....This is a big accomplishment for me!

Alhamdullillah, it is still in my memory after many years later.....

* Since I know now the sound of the ayat (S. Ibrahim 28-end), I reverse the process by reading it in Arabic....I train my eyes to recognize the Arabic words with almost no problems how to pronounce them.

* I am pickup up words and their meanings...One day I went to Friday Jummah Shalat, The Imam recited Ayat Al-Qur'an which I can identified from which surah...Also, it struck me when I understood the meaning some of the ayat...I was not in front of my computer that means I understood that particular ayat in Arabiyya!

According to the expert, Qur'an root word or Iqra' has two meaning: To read or to recite.
What is the difference? One is with the other is without the sound. (at least, to my understanding)

Sound plays a major role how to memorize Al-Qur'an.
I parrot to EL-Fassy Surah Albaqarah, Ibrahim, Qiyamah etc....
I parrot to Saad-Ghamadi to surah An-Nissa,Isra, Maryam,Furqan,Ghaffir,Fussilat etc...

This method is far from perfect, I can only recite so far selected surah/ayat only but at least now I can recite AL-Qur'an in Arabiyya for an hour or two easy (boring part is never involved because it is so beautiful...I love to do it, I want to do it...hence, absence the horror of boredomness)

BTW, I am an illiterate person in Arabic....

According to AL-Qu'ran our Rasullah S.A.W is also an Ummi (illiterate) sen to the qaum of Ummi (Illiterate)...
I used to think this happed 1400 years ago...Nope, it is still happening....out of 1.5 billion muslim in the world, I am sure a majority of them are illiterate in Arabic just like me...

So, How did the illiterate Rasullah shahabah (close-friend) memorize Al-Qur'an? by imitating/parroting the sound which pretty much the same what I am doing now....

Another approach, is to go corpus.quran.com
they listed 77,430 words some words are repetitions...the unique words probably only around 13,000-14,000 (I forget the exact figures)
thanks for that bro, inshAllah i will take it on board. but i was more concerned with learning the meanings of the words. i want to become a fluent arabic speaker so i dont have to rely on sheikhs and scholars who push their own agendas to me at the same time... jazaAllah

bamboozled
01-19-2011, 05:47 PM
I have probably the best resource for learning Arabic.

Its a PEACE TV URDU show called Aao Quran Samjhein, though its only in Urdu.

Its absokutely fantastic, if you have parents that speak Urdu and you dont ask them to transalte it. All the videos are on youtube for free.
Peacetv Urdu is a freeview channel so you can watch it with a freeview box or online on their official website for free and just figure out when the show is on.

LINK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8Jb6_OcQMw
The above is lecture 45, but you can lecture 1 from their. (I think its by a different uploader tho)

Mr Fussy
01-19-2011, 11:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by bamboozled
I have probably the best resource for learning Arabic.

Its a PEACE TV URDU show called Aao Quran Samjhein, though its only in Urdu.

Its absokutely fantastic, if you have parents that speak Urdu and you dont ask them to transalte it. All the videos are on youtube for free.
Peacetv Urdu is a freeview channel so you can watch it with a freeview box or online on their official website for free and just figure out when the show is on.
Woohoo thanks for this info brother just what I'm in need of :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!