/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Sentimental Value: is it worth anything?

Beardo
11-25-2010, 07:21 PM
So is it worth anything?

I have a laptop where Jannah NEtwork started... And I'm trying to get it fixed mainly for the sentimental value.

What's your opinion on sentimental value?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
جوري
11-25-2010, 07:34 PM
it is worth its weight in sentiments....

Alpha Dude
11-25-2010, 09:27 PM
I think it has a place. Although not to the extent that you should risk your life going running back into a burning house (for example) just to save that special something.

When we look at old stuff of ours, it rekindles memories of the good old days.

A'râf
11-25-2010, 09:38 PM
I could not understand :/

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Re.TiReD
11-25-2010, 11:20 PM
I don't know.

One one hand I love collecting items that remind me of a certain time and place.

On the other hand, these things are going to die with us, live each day in the present, buy a new laptop, who cares what laptop you had when it started, your new one will be used for bigger and better things insha'Allah.

S.Belle
11-26-2010, 05:58 AM
what kind of emotional value or memory would u have for a laptop..is just a laptop u cant really pass it on to someone in the future bc it would be no good and prob would be thrown away by someone later
it may just be me but i think sentimental things are things u would want to give to those u love or ur kids bc if i had to give away my laptop or jewlry that has been pasted down from my great great grandmother bye bye internet

coolhaseena786
11-26-2010, 06:17 AM
:sl:
sentimental value...depends...laptop is gonna get old and have no value...technology changes every year or so...pointless in keeping the old laptop forever...if u can upgrade it, go for it otherwise just let it go :hmm:
:wa:

~Raindrop~
11-26-2010, 06:47 AM
^I don't think he meant monetary value :><:

GuestFellow
11-26-2010, 07:00 AM

Well as long as you are not too attached. Remember, we are going to leave these things behind one day...

manaal
11-26-2010, 07:17 AM
There was a time, long ago when I was a teenager that I valued sentimentality a lot. I kept old greeting cards and souvenirs from various events I'd participated in. But after some time I threw them all away because:
1. It cluttered up my room, I hate clutter. My present day clutter is quite enough to keep me going, without adding the past to it.
2. It did not enrich my life in any way
3. I didn't want to be reminded of my stupid teenage years anymore
4. The past is the past, it will never come back, no matter how many relics of it you keep
5. There is so much to look forward to in the future.

A'râf
11-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Hmmm

Bencede dünyalık şeylere çok büyük anlamlar yüklemek yersiz..

:)

coolhaseena786
11-26-2010, 10:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by coolhaseena786
sentimental value...depends...laptop is gonna get old and have no value...technology changes every year or so...pointless in keeping the old laptop forever...if u can upgrade it, go for it otherwise just let it go :hmm:
not just a laptop, anything...you gotta learn to let it go...I do too as well...

Ansariyah
11-26-2010, 11:02 PM
It's worth how much it means to u, If it means to u alot keep it.

tango92
11-26-2010, 11:10 PM
you could keep a photo of it. there are too many memories in life to carry them around with u...

أحمد
11-27-2010, 06:29 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
So is it worth anything?

I have a laptop where Jannah NEtwork started... And I'm trying to get it fixed mainly for the sentimental value.

What's your opinion on sentimental value?
Throw it away, recycle it, or sell it to anyone who can repair and sell it cheap.

Tyrion
11-27-2010, 07:57 PM
I don't see anything wrong with keeping things around because of their sentimental value, but just be careful not to get too attached. As Bedouin mentioned, if it gets to the point where you'd run into a burning building to save your laptop, then you probably have a problem... :p

format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
When we look at old stuff of ours, it rekindles memories of the good old days.
Ah, nothing beats that feeling of nostalgia... Certain video games (Like Majora's Mask... I know, I'm a nerd...) really take me back to a simpler time... A time where there was no school to worry about. :p

أحمد
11-27-2010, 07:58 PM

format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
I feel like those who claim sentimental value means nothing to them aren't being totally honest with themselves. :p

I don't see anything wrong with keeping things around because of their sentimental value, but just be careful not to get too attached. As someone else mentioned, if it gets to the point where you'd run into a burning building to save your laptop, then you probably have a problem... :p
There are those who move around so much; old possessions mean very little, if anything at all.

Life_Is_Short
11-27-2010, 11:01 PM
But it's just a laptop. =/

manaal
11-28-2010, 11:30 AM
I asked my husband this question and he said he too doesn't get attached to possessions due to sentimentality, but in some cases it's worth it, he wouldn't for instance allow anyone to sell his Grandfather's favourite chair. But then, he does love to collect old furniture.

Raaina
11-28-2010, 04:52 PM
My mother I and were talking about this today. As I was cleaning, I accidentally broke one of ornaments on the fire place. She was like, you can throw it away.. I was like nooooo ma, we can fix this. She was like, really, its fine, im not into keeping broken ornaments. So I threw it away. Then she started on about how my father keeps all things that were his mother's. He is very sentimental.

To be honest. I am the same, there is loads of things in my room from when I was a kid that I don't want to throw away, then there are things from holidays, like my first time aboard, i've kept the plane ticket, now my room is getting full and, eventually, its going to all have to go. :(

Perhaps keep your laptop for now, in time, maybe it won't be quite so precious as it is now and you will be able to let it go.

Insecured soul
11-28-2010, 07:25 PM
i guess sentiments are worth something at a particular time but as the time passes by.... its becomes nothing or may be become something?? hmm....

Perseveranze
11-28-2010, 07:26 PM
I think you should keep the things that are still useful to you. I still have the same phone I got 3-4 years ago, people ask me all the time why don't I get a new one because mine is "too old", but whats the point? The current phone that I have does everything I need, why would I want something new/better when it will only do the same things that my current phone do + all the fancy stuff which I don't really care about or think is important.

manaal
11-28-2010, 08:54 PM
Has anyone watched those crazy reality shows where people have really cluttered up homes and a crew comes to clean it up? Some people really have a hard time letting go of really stupid things like their first toothbrush or first tv set. It's really crazy that some people go overboard with sentimentality. I'm gald that it was only a phase in my life. I suppose it's common for teenagers to give a lot of worth to sentimentality. One's perspective on life changes as one grows up, and the meaning of "worth" and "value" changes with it.

Beardo
11-28-2010, 09:01 PM
My dad was telling me how my friend is going to HIS dad's university in Virginia, even though it's on the other side of the country.

So I said, what is it with subcontinental people and going to their dad's universities?

And he said, well, it's their sentimental value...

queenofsaba
11-28-2010, 11:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
My dad was telling me how my friend is going to HIS dad's university in Virginia, even though it's on the other side of the country.

So I said, what is it with subcontinental people and going to their dad's universities?

And he said, well, it's their sentimental value...

sorry this has mabye not anything to do with the thread but I really liked When I get married, I'm going to give my wife a jar of olives and say "OLIVE YOU!"
this made me laugh. thank you, i'm in a really bad phase in my life, and simple things like that simply cheers me up :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!