/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Salat in Hebrew?

ya.azad
12-14-2010, 09:32 PM
It is permitted to perform Salat in other languages? If not certain languages, would Hebrew be permitted as it is Arabic's "Grandfather"? I am fluent in Hebrew and can read Arabic, but not very fast and cannot understand.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
kendali72
12-16-2010, 02:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ya.azad
It is permitted to perform Salat in other languages? If not certain languages, would Hebrew be permitted as it is Arabic's "Grandfather"? I am fluent in Hebrew and can read Arabic, but not very fast and cannot understand.
I am not answering for Islam or as a Muslim. I am a Jew and will give you a Jewish perspective on prayer since Islam and Judaism have very similar practices and outlooks. Hebrew is considered the lashon hakodesh (holy language). It is preferable to pray certain parts of the 3 daily prayer services in Hebrew if one can. However, it is more important that you say the prayers, even if that means that it is in your own vernacular. In the meantime you would be studying the prayer language.

I imagine that in Islam it is similar but please keep in mind I am not an Islamic scholar.

peaceandlove
12-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Well, few time later i am seeing a program on TV in which a person ask the same question that can we offer salat in URDU or any other language , the reply was simply NO.

Whether you understand it or not , you have to offer salat in arabic , and remeber if despite all you efforts you wont able to pronounce it perfectly then imagine an example of child when he want to speak and donot say right words mother and people like it more. So might be possilbe Allah give you more sawab for your efforts then a person who already know arabic.

Ramadhan
12-18-2010, 10:04 AM
It is not the salah cannot be offered in other language than arabic per se.
It is just that in salah we recite qur'an surahs and verses, which are all in arabic.
we also praise Allah's beautiful names in salah, which are all also in arabic.
On top of that, we must also offer salah just like the prophet Muhammad SAW did.

However, there is opinion that you can make some personal prayers/supplications during sujood or sitting between two sujoods in salah in other languages, but ONLY if you say it BY HEART.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!