/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Assalamu alaykum

TheRationalizer
12-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Hello to all my brothers and sisters in humanity.

I'm an atheist, ex deist. Looked at Christianity and Islam but in honesty neither of them struck me as the work of a being capable of creating something as wonderful, intricate, and amazing as the universe.

Not really sure what else to say, other than "Hello" :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rafeeq
12-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Hello TheRationalizer

Peace to be on you.

Welcome to the forum.

Perseveranze
12-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Asaalamu Alaikum,

Welcome to the forums :)

"Allah, there is no deity but He, the Eternal, The Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists. Neither slumber nor sleep overtake Him. To Him belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is on the earth. Who is he that can intercede with Him except with His permission? He knows what happens to them (His creatures) in this world, and what will happen to them in the hereafter. And they will never encompass anything of His Knowledge except that which He wills. His Kursi (throne) extends over the heavens and the earth, and He feels no fatigue in guarding and preserving them. And He is the Most High, the Most Great"

-Ayat Al-Kursi (Al-Baqara, 2:255)

"In the name of Allah, the Most Beneficent, the Most Merciful.
Say: He is Allah, the One!
Allah, the eternally Besought of all!
He begetteth not nor was begotten.
And there is none comparable unto Him."

- (Al-Ikhlas, 112:1-4)

Personally, sounds like somone who can create the heavens and the earths :)

TheRationalizer
12-16-2010, 12:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
Personally, sounds like somone who can create the heavens and the earths :)
It's text claiming to be that, but that doesn't make it true.

My point was that when I read about how protons and electrons interact, and how electrons react with electrons from other atoms, and how these tiny reactions make larger more complex reactions, which create larger reactions, and so on I cannot help but be absolutely amazed. But when I read the Quran....nothing.

It just seems to me that anything capable of creating the universe could make a book which would have an equal impression on me, but it didn't.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-16-2010, 01:40 PM
Welcome TheRationalizer

Welcome to the forum and hope you benefit from the forum

Perseveranze
12-16-2010, 02:28 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by TheRationalizer

My point was that when I read about how protons and electrons interact, and how electrons react with electrons from other atoms, and how these tiny reactions make larger more complex reactions, which create larger reactions, and so on I cannot help but be absolutely amazed. But when I read the Quran....nothing.

It just seems to me that anything capable of creating the universe could make a book which would have an equal impression on me, but it didn't.
Asalaamu Alaikum (peace be unto you),

Firstly, in regards to reading the Quran; You need to realise that it is so much more different when you read the Arabic and understand it in that language, it's really only then when you can really get the feel of something powerful from the Quran. It's quite a mystery even today as to why the Quran of all scriptures is hardest to translate into any other language, like there is currently no extact or accurate translation of it today, but no translation has done it any real justice today.

Here are what some orientalists(non-Muslims) say about it -

"However often we turn to it [the Qur'an] at first disgusting us each time afresh, it soon attracts, astounds, and in the end enforces our reverence... Its style, in accordance with its contents and aim is stern, grand, terrible - ever and anon truly sublime -- Thus this book will go on exercising through all ages a most potent influence." Goethe, quoted in T.P. Hughes' DICTIONARY OF ISLAM, p. 526.

"A work, then, which calls forth so powerful and seemingly incompatible emotions even in the distant reader - distant as to time, and still more so as a mental development - a work which not only conquers the repugnance which he may begin its perusal, but changes this adverse feeling into astonishment and admiration, such a work must be a wonderful production of the human mind indeed and a problem of the highest interest to every thoughtful observer of the destinies of mankind." Dr. Steingass, quoted in T.P. Hughes' DICTIONARY OF ISLAM, pp. 526-527.

"The above observation makes the hypothesis advanced by those who see Muhammad as the author of the Qur'an untenable. How could a man, from being illiterate, become the most important author, in terms of literary merits, in the whole of Arabic literature? How could he then pronounce truths of a scientific nature that no other human being could possibly have developed at that time, and all this without once making the slightest error in his pronouncement on the subject?" Maurice Bucaille, THE BIBLE, THE QUR'AN AND SCIENCE, 1978, p. 125.

"In making the present attempt to improve on the performance of my predecessors, and to produce something which might be accepted as echoing however faintly the sublime rhetoric of the Arabic Koran, I have been at pains to study the intricate and richly varied rhythms which - apart from the message itself - constitute the Koran's undeniable claim to rank amongst the greatest literary masterpieces of mankind... This very characteristic feature - 'that inimitable symphony,' as the believing Pickthall described his Holy Book, 'the very sounds of which move men to tears and ecstasy' - has been almost totally ignored by previous translators; it is therefore not surprising that what they have wrought sounds dull and flat indeed in comparison with the splendidly decorated original." - Arthur J. Arberry, THE KORAN INTERPRETED, London: Oxford University Press, 1964, p. x.

That's just a few, but you get the picture. The Quran today is seen by Arab's(including the Christian/Jewish) as the highest form of Arab Literature in the world today. When you just look at it's literature (ignore the Scientific/Mathematical miracles etc.) Muslims believe no man could've created something like this. Non-Muslims however are still pondering on trying to explain how a man could've created this.

At the time of Prophet Muhammad(pbuh), the Arab people were at the highest peak in their poetic linguistic skills. They used to celebrate whenever a "poet" was born in the family. Yet when Muhammad(pbuh) used to recite the verses of the Quran in all it's powerful manner, it used to bring people to tears(even does today) simply because of it's beauty in sound and speech. Many of the followers of the Prophet(pbuh), a illiterate man, came too him because of his recitations, they were that taken back by it.

And then then the challenge(at various stages in 23 years) came to mankind(including the great linguistics of that time) -
Say: "If the mankind and the jinns were together to produce the like of this Qur'an, they could not produce the like thereof, even if they helped one another." [Qur'an 17:88]

And if you (Arab pagans, Jews, and Christians) are in doubt concerning that which We have sent down (i.e. the Qur'an) to Our slave (Muhammad Peace be upon him ), then produce a surah (chapter) of the like thereof and call your witnesses (supporters and helpers) besides Allah, if you are truthful. [Qur'an 2:23]

And this Qur'an is not such as could ever be produced by other than Allah (Lord of the heavens and the earth), but it is a confirmation of (the revelation) which was before it [i.e. the Taurat (Torah), and the Injeel (Gospel), etc.], and a full explanation of the Book (i.e. laws and orders, etc, decreed for mankind) - wherein there is no doubt from the the Lord of the 'Alamin (mankind, jinns,and all that exists).
Or do they say: "He (Muhammad(P)) has forged it?" Say: "Bring then a surah (chapter) like unto it, and call upon whomsoever you can, besides Allah, if you are truthful!" [Qur'an 10:37-38]

Or they say, "He (Prophet Muhammad(P)) forged it (the Qur'an)." Say: "Bring you then ten forged surah (chapters) like unto it, and call whomsoever you can, other than Allah (to your help), if you speak the truth!" [Qur'an 11:13]

Or do they say: "He (Muhammad(P)) has forged it (this Qur'an)?" Nay! They believe not! Let them then produce a recital like unto it (the Qur'an) if they are truthful. [Qur'an 52:33-34]
And even the great Arab linguistics at the time couldn't re-produce anything like it. In fact, they began to use the excuse that Muhammad(pbuh) was using "black magic" or was a devil in disguise(people were superstitious in those days) to try and stop people from converting.

I hope I have sort've given insight to that claim. If you did read the Quran in Arabic, the impression you would get from it would be unlike any you've got from any other book. Some translations are good and do give a unique feel, but nothing does justice to the Quran in it's Arabic language, this is seen today by Muslims as a living Miracle.

I finish off with following verses;

"And We reveal (stage by stage) of the Qur'an that which is a healing and a mercy for believers, and to the unjust it causes nothing but loss after loss." -- (17:82)

"So have We made the (Qur'an) easy in thine own tongue, that with it thou mayest give Glad Tidings to the righteous, and warnings to people given to contention." -- (19:97)

"Will they not then ponder on the Qur'an? If it had been from other than Allah they would have found therein much discrepancy." -- (4:82)

And finally, if you would like to know more about the Scientific/Mathematical miracles of the Quran then please visit -

http://www.harunyahya.com/miracles_of_the_quran_01.php

After much research, I can only conclude that this book was given to mankind by non-other then the creator of the Heavans and the Earths. And Muhammad(pbuh) was the sealing of the messages that came before him through the likes of (Jesus(pbuh), Moses(pbuh) etc.).

TheRationalizer
12-16-2010, 02:55 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
Asalaamu Alaikum (peace be unto you),
Firstly, in regards to reading the Quran; You need to realise that it is so much more different when you read the Arabic and understand it in that language, it's really only then when you can really get the feel of something powerful from the Quran.
That just goes to reinforce what I say. It doesn't matter in which language you read about the universe, it is amazing! But it doesmatter in which language you read the Quran?

That's one of the reasons it looks man made to me. Something capable of creating the universe (which is amazing in any language) would be more than capable of writing a book which is amazing in every language. 7th century humans from Arabia unable to speak other languages however would at best be able to write a book which is amazing only in Arabic.

Why the discrepancy?

Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Peace be unto you

It doesn't matter in which language you read about the universe, it is amazing! But it doesmatter in which language you read the Quran?
That is because the real/original Quraan is in arabic as it was sent in that language, and even the arabic today doesnt completely match the original arabic from the Quraanic arabic language which is known as Fusha (Classical), and also english or french or other language versions of the Quraan are known as the translations. same goes with the bible.

Also since you have mentioned that it would be amazing that the creator of the universe should be capable of writing the book in every language, then if you look in the Quraan , Allaah your lord and mine mentions how every nation was sent with a messenger i.e every nation including many different languages.

here is the verse : "And verily, We have sent among every Ummah (community, nation) a Messenger (proclaiming): \"Worship Allah (Alone), and avoid (or keep away from) Taghut (all false deities, etc. i.e. do not worship Taghut besides Allah).\" Then of them were some whom Allah guided and of them were some upon whom the straying was justified. So travel through the land and see what was the end of those who denied (the truth)." [Al Quraan 16: 36]

And as muslims we believe in many of the Messengers god sent down to guide mankind

"And We sent not a Messenger except with the language of his people, in order that he might make (the Message) clear for them. Then Allah misleads whom He wills and guides whom He wills. And He is the All-Mighty, the All-Wise." [Al Quraan 14 :4]

In total there are 124.000 messengers, although the Quraan mentions 25 by name, the Prophet Adam (as) up to the final messenger Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) who was sent not for a nation but for the whole of mankind.

In the Quraan Allaah mentions that he sent a messenger to every nation to warn them
"And there never was a nation but a warner had passed among them." Al Quraan (35.24).

So in conclusion, brother Perseveranze is correct i quote him "Firstly, in regards to reading the Quran; You need to realise that it is so much more different when you read the Arabic and understand it in that language, it's really only then when you can really get the feel of something powerful from the Quran."

I suggest maybe you read the Quran if you have not yet indeed. I hope i have not sounded harsh my intention is to answer your Question to the best of my ability, and hoping someone else can answer you with more information if i have not. If there are parts that do not make sense please feel free to ask.

Peace

aadil77
12-16-2010, 04:58 PM

Welcome aboard

Yes atoms and nuclear reactions are amazing, but what you have to remember is that the Quran is a book aimed at people of all times and locations, atom/electrons are very complex they have no relevance in being mentioned in the Quran.

Regarding science the Quran does give a few examples here and there, but most of them are simple examples to be understood by everyone, just simple things to make you ponder at the creation. The Quran is not meant to be a book of science and its not meant to bring you to islam just by showing scientific examples. There are loads of other things amazing about the Quran, like the way the verses flow and rhyme, take a look at this video for example:

Keep asking questions, we'll try and answer as best as possible

TheRationalizer
12-16-2010, 05:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Pєαяℓ σf Wιѕ∂σм
That is because the real/original Quraan is in arabic as it was sent in that language, and even the arabic today doesnt completely match the original arabic from the Quraanic arabic language which is known as Fusha (Classical)
Then I think display of command of a language you know will die out is not a good way to prove divine origin. If god knows the future then god would know that the fusha language would die out and change.

Also since you have mentioned that it would be amazing that the creator of the universe should be capable of writing the book in every language, then if you look in the Quraan , Allaah your lord and mine mentions how every nation was sent with a messenger i.e every nation including many different languages.
No, I said that the creator of the universe would be able to write a book that is beautiful in every language, it's different. A beautiful poem in one language is rubbish in another, yet when the meaning of the words is beautiful that beauty can easily be explained in any language.

I suggest maybe you read the Quran if you have not yet indeed. I hope i have not sounded harsh my intention is to answer your Question to the best of my ability, and hoping someone else can answer you with more information if i have not. If there are parts that do not make sense please feel free to ask.
No, you have not been harsh at all. I have read 3 translations of the Quran. I found it to be a very labourious task, it was very repetitive and I found it very dull too.

TheRationalizer
12-16-2010, 05:40 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by aadil77
Welcome aboard
Yes atoms and nuclear reactions are amazing, but what you have to remember is that the Quran is a book aimed at people of all times and locations, atom/electrons are very complex they have no relevance in being mentioned in the Quran.
I don't expect to see quantum physics in a 7th century book. However quantum physics is amazing in any language you look at it, and the Quran is not. In fact I didn't even find it remotely interesting, let alone impressive. Everything I saw in the Quran could have been written by a 7th century man.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Peace

Then I think display of command of a language you know will die out is not a good way to prove divine origin. If god knows the future then god would know that the fusha language would die out and change..
May i ask what faith you follow? Nope the Fusha language hasnt died out, as people today still recite the Quraan the way it was revealed from day 1 and there are millions of muslims i.e humans out there willing to learn the Quraanic arabic today, even so myself. If you see English today, it is not indeed spoken as it was a long time ago either. If God knows the future, the correct term is always "God knows the future" or else he isnt God, or either you have doubt that God exists maybe.

No, I said that the creator of the universe would be able to write a book that is beautiful in every language, it's different. A beautiful poem in one language is rubbish in another, yet when the meaning of the words is beautiful that beauty can easily be explained in any language..
Yes, as a muslim i believe the Quraan is a beautiful book, the language of the Quraan is to be spoken in every culture, which is arabic and only arabic the way it was revealed. Every muslim recites the Quraan in arabic and not in there own language but to understand it they would need to learn it and also use the translations. The muslims five daily prayers are recited in arabic, and not in german, french etc etc. every muslim recites in arabic when praying, or reciting the Quraan weather they be irish or italian, japanese or chinese they read in one language. Arabic however, itself a beautiful language, you should definetly look into it.

No, you have not been harsh at all. I have read 3 translations of the Quran. I found it to be a very labourious task, it was very repetitive and I found it very dull too.
And indeed that is your own opinion of which you wish to mention.

peace

TheRationalizer
12-16-2010, 08:43 PM
May i ask what faith you follow?
I'm an atheist.

Nope the Fusha language hasnt died out
Sorry, by "died out and change" I meant that the exact form it was in at the time is now dead and the Fusha today is different. I was commenting on your statement
"the arabic today doesnt completely match the original arabic from the Quraanic arabic language"

I'm sure the creator of the universe could have made sure that the language didn't change (except for new words for new objects like computers etc.)

Yes, as a muslim i believe the Quraan is a beautiful book
Do you believe it is perfect, and therefore cannot possibly be altered in any way which would improve it?

Arabic however, itself a beautiful language, you should definetly look into it.
I've had some beginner's lessons, and I enjoyed it very much.

And indeed that is your own opinion of which you wish to mention.
Light travels at 180,000 miles in 1 second.
That's 5.88 trillion miles in 1 light year (unimaginable).
The closest star is 4.2 light years away.
The furthest star we have seen is 13 billion light years away, so that's 13 billion x 5.88 trillion miles away.
That's BIG!

There are hundreds of billions of galaxies in our universe.
There are hundreds of billions of suns in each galaxy
That's a LOT of stars!

ALL of this is governed by a few simple behaviours such as gravity and the strong/weak force, interacting electrons forming compounds which form life. It is absolutely mind blowing, and yet I am being asked to believe that this was all created by some conscious being and that the Quran is the best it could do?

It just doesn't balance.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-16-2010, 09:04 PM
Peace

I'm an atheist..
Okay indeed!

Sorry, by "died out and change" I meant that the exact form it was in at the time is now dead and the Fusha today is different. I was commenting on your statement
"the arabic today doesnt completely match the original arabic from the Quraanic arabic language"

I'm sure the creator of the universe could have made sure that the language didn't change (except for new words for new objects like computers etc.).

And i was replying to you. LOL fusha isnt different today. Fusha is the name for classical arabic. Its the language of the Quraan which is read by muslims all over this world. its not been changed. Yes the creator of the universe made sure the language didnt change, that is why the Quraan is still in its original form.

Do you believe it is perfect, and therefore cannot possibly be altered in any way which would improve it?.
Yes i believe the Quraan is perfect and even perfect is the creator! and has not been altered in any way! I truly believe that 100%.

I've had some beginner's lessons, and I enjoyed it very much..
Awesome!

The furthest star we have seen is 13 billion light years away, so that's 13 billion x 5.88 trillion miles away.
That's BIG!

That's a LOT of stars!

ALL of this is governed by a few simple behaviours such as gravity and the strong/weak force, interacting electrons forming compounds which form life. It is absolutely mind blowing, and yet I am being asked to believe that this was all created by some conscious being and that the Quran is the best it could do?

It just doesn't balance.
And who are you trying to fool? but yourself! You failed to realise that there is a creator of all this right!

The creator is indeed the creator of all these amazing things. Allaah/God is the creator of this world and all that exists within it! The list you mentioned wasnt man made but indeed made by someone who has power!

And Glory be to him for all he asks is for his creation to worship him and even that is of benefit to oneself and not God allmighty!

"Whatsoever is in the heavens and the earth glorifies Allah, and He is the All-Mighty, All-Wise.,His is the kingdom of the heavens and the earth, It is He Who gives life and causes death; and He is Able to do all things. He is the First (nothing is before Him) and the Last (nothing is after Him), the Most High (nothing is above Him) and the Most Near (nothing is nearer than Him). And He is the All-Knower of every thing." [Al Quraan 57: 1-3]

Peace

جوري
12-16-2010, 09:05 PM
Hello to all my brothers and sisters in humanity.

I'm an atheist, ex deist. Looked at Christianity and Islam but in honesty neither of them struck me as the work of a being capable of creating something as wonderful, intricate, and amazing as the universe.

Not really sure what else to say, other than "Hello" :)

:welcome: aboard.. I must admit that I am a bit perplexed by your choice of forums.. someone who has sojourned and journeyed both and acquired a lifestyle after great introspection has generally moved on from the stage of querying to the stage of fostering self-characterization with like-minded individuals? What are your hopes or rather purpose in joining an Islamic forum?

all the best

TheRationalizer
12-16-2010, 09:09 PM
And i was replying to you. LOL fusha isnt different today.
Then I am unsure what you mean by "even the arabic today doesnt completely match the original arabic from the Quraanic arabic language which is known as Fusha"

Yes i believe the Quraan is perfect and even perfect is the creator! and has not been altered in any way! I truly believe that 100%.
So, I assume you are able to speak Arabic?

Awesome!
It was. I had a great teacher, but unfortunately he was a bigot and found it very uncomfortable having a non-Muslim in the class. I attended two other classes where I had no problems, but the method of teaching just wasn't the same. It's a shame, I miss it.

TheRationalizer
12-16-2010, 09:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
:welcome: aboard.. I must admit that I am a bit perplexed by your choice of forums.. someone who has sojourned and journeyed both and acquired a lifestyle after great introspection has generally moved on from the stage of querying to the stage of fostering self-characterization with like-minded individuals? What are your hopes or rather purpose in joining an Islamic forum?
I like talking to all kinds of people, not just like minded ones. The problem with talking to atheists is that you rarely have a common interest, the only thing you have in common is a lack of an interest rather than an interest. Conversations can be pretty dull :-)

I find religion in general interesting, and having looked into Islam with the prospect of becoming a Muslim it's the religion I know most about.

جوري
12-16-2010, 09:15 PM
Muslim it's the religion I know most about.

I highly doubt that-- although I do agree that atheists can be a dull bunch!

all the best

أحمد
12-16-2010, 09:31 PM
:sl:

I'm sure the creator of the universe could have made sure that the language didn't change (except for new words for new objects like computers etc.)

Do you believe it is perfect, and therefore cannot possibly be altered in any way which would improve it?

I've had some beginner's lessons, and I enjoyed it very much.

That's BIG!

That's a LOT of stars!

It just doesn't balance.
Where did you find 4.2 light years for the nearest star? Anyone with basic scientific knowledge, even google would be able to correct that misconception.

If you read this; it'll save you a lot of time with the same old misconceptions on "Islam and science".

Welcome to the forum.

:wa:

أحمد
12-16-2010, 09:33 PM
:sl:

format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ

I highly doubt that-- although I do agree that atheists can be a dull bunch!

all the best
It doesn't mean he knows more than everyone else, it just means he know's about Islam, more than he knows about science, or about anything else. We need not doubt him.

:wa:

جوري
12-16-2010, 09:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by أحمد
It doesn't mean he knows more than everyone else, it just means he know's about Islam, more than he knows about science, or about anything else. We need not doubt him.

It was my impression based on what is written although you are right in that it is all relative..

:w:

Perseveranze
12-16-2010, 09:39 PM
That just goes to reinforce what I say. It doesn't matter in which language you read about the universe, it is amazing! But it doesmatter in which language you read the Quran?

That's one of the reasons it looks man made to me. Something capable of creating the universe (which is amazing in any language) would be more than capable of writing a book which is amazing in every language. 7th century humans from Arabia unable to speak other languages however would at best be able to write a book which is amazing only in Arabic.

Why the discrepancy?
Asalaamu Alaikum,

When you look at Quranic literature, this is what is unique;

- The Phenotics (Sound)
- The Structure
- The Use of Words
- Pronounciations of Words
- Punctuality

And there's alot more for someone who was to look at the literature in absolute detail. So it's not just about it sounding beautiful or understanding the meanings, there's so much more to it. Despite this, you ask why can't something of this level of literature be translated in another langauge and still maintain the great aspects it has in Arabic language?

Wouldn't that literally break all bounds of logic and impossibility in reality? In 1400 years, many new languages have been spoken and many new one's may be spoken in the future. Now, if any new language was created and a person suddenly tried to translate the Quran's langauge too it, despite the new language having many flaws, could that ever possibly work, this would be like a mere human being able to continuesly do miracles in the translation of a piece of text, since the text is the same, but the languagee is new?

This idea is what I would describe as a "too obvious a sign". I mean, you described other poetry losing it's initial credibility the moment it is translated into "another language", but out of all the texts in the world if the Quran was the only piece of text that miraculously was able to still have the same literary skills, sounds and meanings, wouldn't then every single person suddenly accept that this Book is indeed from God and there is no doubt, because even a theory wouldn't be able to justify how something like this is possible whilst it not being possible for anything else?

When I said a "sign to obvious" what I meant is, if God was really going to make his existence that obvious that all of Mankind would immediatly obey, what would be the whole point of the test of this life, what would be the whole point of being able to have "free will", which includes being able to think as you please and do as you please. This is the complete opposite of the message of the Quran, which continuesly tells mankind to; think, ponder and reflect.

"Those who do not know say, "Why does Allah not speak to us or there come to us a sign?" Thus spoke those before them like their words. Their hearts resemble each other. We have shown clearly the signs to a people who are certain [in faith]." - [Quran 2:18]

"It is He Who sends down water from the sky. From it you drink and from it come the shrubs among which you graze your herds. And by it He makes crops grow for you and olives and dates and grapes and fruit of every kind .There is certainly a sign in that for people who reflect. He has made the night and the day subservient to you, and the sun, the moon and the stars, all subject to His command. There are certainly signs in that for people who use their intellect. And also the things of varying colours He has created for you in the earth. There is certainly a sign in that for people who pay heed. It is He Who made the sea subservient to you so that you can eat fresh flesh from it and bring out from it ornaments to wear. And you see the ships cleaving through it so that you can seek His bounty, and so that perhaps you may show thanks. He cast firmly embedded mountains on the earth so it would not move under you, and rivers and pathways so that perhaps you might be guided, and landmarks. And they are guided by the stars. Is He Who creates like him who does not create? So will you not pay heed?" (Surat an-Nahl: 10-17)

"In the heavens and the earth there are certainly signs for the believers. And in your creation and all the creatures He has scattered about there are signs for people with certainty." [Surat al-Jathiyah: 3-4]

"And it is He who spread out the earth, and set thereon mountains standing firm, and (flowing) rivers: and fruits of every kind He made in pairs, two and two: He draws the Night as a veil over the Day. Verily in those things there are signs for those who consider." - [Quran 3:13]

"This is a communication to be transmitted to mankind so that they can be warned by it and so that they will know that He is One God and so that people of intelligence will pay heed." [Surah Ibrahim: 52]

This world is just a test, it is temporary and every single human is being tested, including the Muslims -

"Alif-Laam-Meem. Do people think that they will be left alone because they say: 'We believe,' and will not be tested?" [Quran29:1-3]

"Allah will not leave the believers in the state in which you are now, until He distinguished the wicked from the good. Nor will Allah disclose to you the secrets of the Unseen." [Quran 3:179]

"If their aversion is hard on you, then if you were able to seek a tunnel in the ground or a ladder to the sky, so that you may bring them a sign. And had Allah willed, He could have gathered them together unto true guidance, so be not you one of those who are Al-Jahilun (the ignorant)." [Quran 6:35]

Even the believers will go through difficulties, will be at conflict just like the non-believers are until God distinguishes those that have fullfilled the purpose of their reason to exist.

And God even mentions that even if he did give a sign so clear that it would not require one to think, ponder or reflect that there would still be people who would mock it;

And [even] if We opened to them a gate from the heaven and they continued therein to ascend, They would say, "Our eyes have only been dazzled. Rather, we are a people affected by magic." [Quran 15:14-15]

Going back to the literacy of the Quran, here is a quote of what exactly the Quran literature is -

But you know that the Qur’an is not prose and that it is not verse either. It is rather Qur’an, and it cannot be called by any other name but this. It is not verse, and that is clear; for it does not bind itself to the bonds of verse. And it is not prose, for it is bound by bonds peculiar to itself, not found elsewhere; some of the binds are related to the endings of its verses and some to that musical sound which is all its own. It is therefore neither verse nor prose, but it is “a Book whose verses have been perfected the expounded, from One Who is Wise, All-Aware.” We cannot therefore say its prose, and its text itself is not verse. It has been one of a kind, and nothing like it has ever preceded or followed it.” - Taha Husayn, a prominent Egyptian Litterateur

The above is correct, although people look at the Quran as a form of the Arabic language, they misunderstand or forget that never has such a unique form of Arabic ever been spoken before, people can't write the Quranic language in free speech nor speak of it, so unique that it can have it's own catagory in languages.

Thus the Quran's challenge to mankind "to produce a verse alike" is equally stranger to the translators of English, French, German as it is to the Arabs who speak Arabic. The Arabs can understand it, but for some reason they can't speak or write alike it.

Now if man was able to translate the Quran to it's perfection in another langauge, keeping it's rythm, it's sound and it's meaning, then would this not have destroyed the challenge that the Quran gives mankind? I mean, for a Englishman to translate the Quran fully to English, keeping all its uniqueness in tact, being able to somehow use the right words (out of a range of English words) and producing the Quran in another language; is this not the same as "producing a verse alike?"

My brother in Humanity, rather then asking questions such as "why didn't God just do this or that with the Quran", why not ask questions like "How did a illiterate man produce the finest piece of Arabic literature - How did he know scientific facts that is acceptable by Science today - Are the Mathematical miracles really miracles or just mere coincidences - Is it a coincidence that words such as man equal the number of mentions as woman, or jin equals the number of mentions as Angel, or Good equals the number of mentions such bad - Is it mere coincidence that when the word "middle" is mentioned in the context of a verse, that verse seemingly is right in the middle of the chapter ----- Continuesly ask yourself questions such as this, research it, what if it is the truth? Come to your own conclusion with full satisfaction as it either being the word of a Divine or well... Continue trying to find explanation for the questions.

If you would like to further study the unique literacy of the Quran, it's sounds and meanings then please check this out - http://www.theinimitablequran.com/uniquelitform.pdf

I finish off with this;

There is no compulsion in religion. Verily, the Right Path has become distinct from the wrong path. Whoever disbelieves in Tâghût (false worship or idols)and believes in Allâh, then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold that will never break. And Allâh is All-Hearer, All-Knower - [Quran 2:256]

In the end, I think you owe it to yourself to just try a bit harder and see the logical reasoning. Believe me, if your expecting angels to come down in clouds and tell you "yes, He exists", it won't happen - that's too easy. When your in your classroom, when your doing a test, there's a reason why you do it under strict rules; your only purpose is to pass that test through putting the right answers down. This life in respects isn't much different, God has in a subtle yet obvious way given us a book(revision/guide), in it are miracles and signs, now let the test begin (bear in mind the people that came before the Quran revalation were also tested in their own way).

Ğħαrєєвαħ
12-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Peace

Then I am unsure what you mean by "even the arabic today doesnt completely match the original arabic from the Quraanic arabic language which is known as Fusha".
There are different dialects of arabic. One of the classical names for arabic is Fusha, which is the language of the Quran. sorry to be confusing.

So, I assume you are able to speak Arabic?.
I can speak little bits of arabic, but not full. But i can read arabic.

It was. I had a great teacher, but unfortunately he was a bigot and found it very uncomfortable having a non-Muslim in the class. I attended two other classes where I had no problems, but the method of teaching just wasn't the same. It's a shame, I miss it.
Aah i see, hope you find some other place in where you can learn the language insha`Allaah.

Peace

S.Belle
12-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Welcome to the forum

PouringRain
12-16-2010, 10:08 PM
Welcome to the forum.

aadil77
12-16-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't expect to see quantum physics in a 7th century book. However quantum physics is amazing in any language you look at it, and the Quran is not. In fact I didn't even find it remotely interesting, let alone impressive. Everything I saw in the Quran could have been written by a 7th century man.
Ok, its seems you have your views set on what you think of the Quran, I don't think we can 'enlighten' you anymore

so do you have any other queries? what do you hope to achieve by joining this forum?

Ramadhan
12-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I'm an atheist, ex deist.
I am a bit intrigued.
You identified yourself as an atheist, but then you went on and on about how amazing and absolutely breathtaking our universe is and how everything in the universe seems to serve a purpose.
That seems to imply you believe the universe is created.
Are you sure you are not agnostic?
Am i reading you correct?

Ramadhan
12-17-2010, 01:42 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by أحمد
Where did you find 4.2 light years for the nearest star? Anyone with basic scientific knowledge, even google would be able to correct that misconception.
A grade kid would be able to answer that the nearest star is our sun, and the mean distance between our sun and earth is 1 AU.
:)

TheRationalizer
12-18-2010, 02:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
I am a bit intrigued.
You identified yourself as an atheist, but then you went on and on about how amazing and absolutely breathtaking our universe is and how everything in the universe seems to serve a purpose.
I didn't say it serves a purpose, you have inferred that :-)

I simply said it is amazing.

TheRationalizer
12-18-2010, 02:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
A grade kid would be able to answer that the nearest star is our sun, and the mean distance between our sun and earth is 1 AU.
:)
I didn't say what it was closest to. I was in fact saying that it was the closest star to our solar system rather than to us as a species. I do in fact remember the school teacher trick about the Sun from many years ago :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!