/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Islam in West Africa

Satukai
12-19-2010, 03:33 AM
Needless to say, I have many questions regarding the culture of West Africa. For now, I'll just ask one question.

I have a penpal from West Africa (Sierra Leone, to be exact). In one of her letters, she made reference to celebrating Christmas with several friends. I assume some were Christians and some were Muslims. Is it considered acceptable for a Muslim to celebrate Christmas? Is Islamic law less rigidly followed in some cultures?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
S.Belle
12-19-2010, 04:35 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Satukai
Is it considered acceptable for a Muslim to celebrate Christmas?
Its impermissible read here for more info.
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/1130

Is Islamic law less rigidly followed in some cultures?

It depends on where she lives. I live in a place where Islamic law is not even taken into consideration by society. So when Christmas comes around I dont celebrate bc...well I'm Muslim and Christmas is a Christian holiday. If someone gives me a gift I accept it so I wont hurt the givers feelings and return a gift with the intention of being courteous.

Muslimman
12-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Yes most of people don't carry out Islamic teachings exactly and mix with social traditions. :)

Satukai
12-19-2010, 09:08 PM
I'm still new to the lingo, so tell me if I'm correct...

Muslims aren't supposed to celebrate Christmas because it is a Christian practice, and a Muslim shouldn't behave like a Christian, because it would be like being a Christian...

... and Muslims aren't supposed to become to close to Christians because Christians can be a negative influence to their faith.

Would that be correct?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Perseveranze
12-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum(peace be with you),

We don't differentiate between our Prophet's(pbut), so if we did celebrate the birth of one Prophet, we'd have to do it for all Prophets(pbut). But more importantly, our final messenger(pbuh) stressed that like all humans, he(pbuh) was but a Slave of God and nothing more. Here's some references;

The Prophet (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam) has said: Do not over praise me as the Christians over-praised the son of Mary. I am His slave so say: 'Allah's slave and messenger' [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]

And those who believe in Allâh and His Messengers and make no distinction between any of them (Messengers), We shall give them their rewards, and Allâh is Ever Oft*Forgiving, Most Merciful. [4:152]

A desert Arab came to Allah's Apostle

and asked him about ablution. He demonstrated (washing each part of his body) thrice, and then said: That is (the method) of the ablution. And he who does more than this has done wrong, transgressed the limit and has oppressed (himself). [Transmitted by Nasa'i, Ibn Majah, and Abu Dawud transmitted something to the same effect.]

O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! Do not exceed the limits in your religion, nor say of Allâh aught but the truth. ...[4:17]

The Prophet

came to Medina with two days they played in.
The Prophet

said, ‘What are these two days?’ They said, ‘These are two days we used to play in, in our Jahiliyah.’ The Prophet

said, ‘Allah has replaced them with two better days: Eid Al Adhaa and Eid Al-Fitr’. [Abu Dawood #1134, 1/675, Narrated Anas Bin Malik]

In Conclusion, no - Muslims don't celebrate Christmas.

Satukai
12-21-2010, 10:07 PM
I did some research into Sierra Leonean culture. Apparently it's a place that's spiritually "lukewarm"; not strongly convinced one way or the other. If I'm remembering the numbers correctly, Sierra Leone is about 60% Muslim, 30% Indigenous, and 10% Christian. Someone might go to church on Sunday (or mosque on Friday) and still consult an indigenous spritual leader for help. Thank you all for your answers!

Muslimman
12-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Hi Satukai and welcome aboard,
Muslims are not supposed to celebrate Christmas just the way Christians are not supposed to celeberate Muslim occasions! Muslims as well are required to have their own character, concepts and dignity. Nothing wrong with that.
Muslims are not supposed to stay away from christians. On the contrary we are rquired to be good to Christians as long as they dont fight us. :)

I'm still new to the lingo, so tell me if I'm correct...

Muslims aren't supposed to celebrate Christmas because it is a Christian practice, and a Muslim shouldn't behave like a Christian, because it would be like being a Christian...

... and Muslims aren't supposed to become to close to Christians because Christians can be a negative influence to their faith.

Would that be correct?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!