/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Hello just a question

mausi
12-28-2010, 04:59 PM
I am very interested in Islam and I have been reading a lot about Islam lately and I know that Muslims do not believe that Jesus was divine.
But in the Bible (John 8-58) Jesus applied God's Holy name to himself.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mausi

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
12-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Welcome I'm sure a member can help you out

Muslimman
12-28-2010, 10:49 PM
Hi Bro, We as Muslims believe in the Bible as a book from God. But we as well believe that over time, people of the church faked and altered many texts of it. However, I don't think this verse indicates that Jesus is divine or God or son of God. :)

Perseveranze
12-29-2010, 12:35 AM
Asalaamu Alaikum (peace be with you),

That is a translation error. I believe this is probably the best link to give you in regards to that question - http://www.answering-christianity.com/iam.htm (scroll down to number 2)

Bottom line is, Jesus(pbuh) never, by his own mouth get quoted as calling himself God nor said he was the Son of God.

The beautiful Quran defends Jesus(pbuh) and attests to this;

"And when God said,O Jesus son of Mary, didst thou say unto men, ‘Take me and my mother as gods, apart from God’?” he said, “To thee be glory! It is not mine to say what I have no right to. If I indeed said it, Thou knowest it, knowing what is within my soul, and I know not what is within Thy soul; Thou knowest the things unseen.“" [Quran 5:116]

Source - http://www.xyapx.com/ziggyzag/jesusinbibleandkoran.php

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Innocent Soul
12-29-2010, 01:13 AM
In Islam we believe that Jesus was a human being and a messenger. Her are some verses from Quran that will help you understand it.

Question: What does the Qur'an say about Jesus?

Answer: In the Qur'an, there are many stories about the life and teachings of Jesus Christ (called 'Isa in Arabic). The Qur'an recalls his miraculous birth, his teachings, the miracles he performed by God's permission, and his life as a respected prophet of God. The Qur'an also repeatedly reminds that Jesus was a human prophet sent by God, not part of God Himself. Below are some direct quotations from the Qur'an regarding his life and teachings of Jesus.

He Was Righteous
"Behold! the angels said, 'Oh Mary! God gives you glad tidings of a Word from Him. His name will be Christ Jesus, the son of Mary, held in honour in this world and the Hereafter, and in (the company of) those nearest to God. He shall speak to the people in childhood and in maturity. He shall be (in the company) of the righteous... And God will teach him the Book and Wisdom, the Law and the Gospel'" (3:45-48).

He Was a Prophet
"Christ, the son of Mary, was no more than a messenger; many were the messengers that passed away before him. His mother was a woman of truth. They had both to eat their (daily) food. See how God makes His signs clear to them; yet see in what ways they are deluded away from the truth!" (5:75).

"He [Jesus] said: 'I am indeed a servant of God. He has given me revelation and made me a prophet; He has made me blessed wheresoever I be; and He has enjoined on me prayer and charity as long as I live. He has made me kind to my mother, and not overbearing or miserable. So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that I shall be raised up to life (again)!' Such was Jesus the son of Mary. It is a statement of truth, about which they (vainly) dispute. It is not befitting to (the majesty of) God that He should beget a son. Glory be to Him! When He determines a matter, He only says to it, 'Be,' and it is" (19:30-35).

He Was a Humble Servant of God
"And behold! God will say [i.e. on the Day of Judgment]: 'Oh Jesus, the son of Mary! Did you say unto men, worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of God?' He will say: 'Glory to Thee! Never could I say what I had no right (to say). Had I said such a thing, You would indeed have known it. You know what is in my heart, though I know not what is in Yours. For You know in full all that is hidden. Never did I say to them anything except what You commanded me to say: 'Worship God, my Lord and your Lord.' And I was a witness over them while I lived among them. When You took me up, You were the Watcher over them, and You are a witness to all things'" (5:116-117).

His Teachings
"When Jesus came with Clear Signs, he said: 'Now I have come to you with Wisdom, and in order to make clear to you some of the (points) on which you dispute. Therefore, fear God and obey me. God, He is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him -- this is a Straight Way.' But sects from among themselves fell into disagreement. So woe to the wrongdoers, from the penalty of a Grievous Day!" (43:63-65)

Ummu Sufyaan
12-29-2010, 10:31 AM
sorry, i think you need to elaborate...your question isnt clear. whats the question exactly?

mausi
12-29-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks for your reply. Unless this is a translation error it sounds to me that JESUS is applying God's Holy name " I AM " to himself. " Before ABRAHAM was I AM " And if Jesus existed before ABRAHAM that would make him divine don't You think ?
That is what I am confused about.

Thanks for all the info.

Thanks for all the info.
Very helpful Thanks.

IAmZamzam
12-29-2010, 08:04 PM
We do not believe that the Bible is a book from God. The Koran says that the Davidic psalms and the Torah originally were from God but it doesn't say anything about any other books of the Bible, only an unnamed non-biblical Gospel and a scripture written by Abraham (P). And it also says that the Jewish scriptures were corrupted. I explain all about this in my site's FAQ. What the book of John says is of no concern to us. All the same, Jesus's (P) purported way of talking in it is extremely mystical and nonliteral, and not always entirely clear.

IAmZamzam
12-29-2010, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
Asalaamu Alaikum (peace be with you),

That is a translation error. I believe this is probably the best link to give you in regards to that question - http://www.answering-christianity.com/iam.htm (scroll down to number 2)

Bottom line is, Jesus(pbuh) never, by his own mouth get quoted as calling himself God nor said he was the Son of God.

The beautiful Quran defends Jesus(pbuh) and attests to this;

"And when God said,O Jesus son of Mary, didst thou say unto men, ‘Take me and my mother as gods, apart from God’?” he said, “To thee be glory! It is not mine to say what I have no right to. If I indeed said it, Thou knowest it, knowing what is within my soul, and I know not what is within Thy soul; Thou knowest the things unseen.“" [Quran 5:116]

Source - http://www.xyapx.com/ziggyzag/jesusinbibleandkoran.php
Wow...thanks.

Hiroshi
12-29-2010, 10:51 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mausi
I am very interested in Islam and I have been reading a lot about Islam lately and I know that Muslims do not believe that Jesus was divine.

Thanks in advance

Mausi
Hi Mausi.

In John 8:58 many Bible translations render Jesus' words as "before Abraham was I am" (Greek: "ego eimi"). Because the KJV reads "I AM" as a name for God at Exodus 3:14 is is often claimed that Jesus is claiming to be God at John 8:58.

However, this argument is flawed.

The Greek expression in the Septuagint at Exodus 3:14 for "I AM" is "Ho On", not "ego eimi". So Jesus was not quoting this verse. Similarly, translations of John 8:58 into Hebrew use a different Hebrew expression for "I am" compared to that found in the Hebrew of Exodus 3:14.

Besides, Jesus' words at John 8:58 would be rendered more grammatically correct in English as: "before Abraham was I have been." It is true that "ego eimi" is in the present tense in Greek but sometimes the Koine Greek of the NT uses the present tense to denote an action that began in the past and continues up to the moment of speaking.

A similar case is John 14:9 which the NIV renders as: "Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been (Greek "[ego] eimi") among you such a long time?"

So in conclusion, there is no basis for the claim that in John 8:58 Jesus was claiming to be God or was applying God's holy name to himself.

Hiroshi
12-29-2010, 10:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze

Actually Jesus does get quoted as calling himself the Son of God at John 10:36.

This reads: "Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?" (NIV)

Hiroshi
12-29-2010, 11:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
We do not believe that the Bible is a book from God. The Koran says that the Davidic psalms and the Torah originally were from God but it doesn't say anything about any other books of the Bible,
Psalm 2:7, a Psalm of David, speaks of God as having a son. Do you include that saying as being from God?

format_quote Originally Posted by Yahya Sulaiman
And it also says that the Jewish scriptures were corrupted.
I don't believe that it does. The Qur'an refers to scriptures being given distorted meanings but not to corruption of the written text itself.

Predator
12-30-2010, 05:20 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hiroshi
Psalm 2:7, a Psalm of David, speaks of God as having a son. Do you include that saying as being from God?
And it speaks of others as sons as well , whats your point ?

a) "Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, whichwas the son of Adam, which was the SON OF GOD." LUKE 3:38
(b) "That the SONS OF GOD saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took wives of all which they chose.
". . . when the SONS OF GOD came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty
men which were of old, men of renown." GENESIS 6:2 and 4
(c) ". . . Thus saith the Lord, Israel is MY SON even my FIRSTBORN." EXODUS 4:22
(d) ". . . and Ephraim is my FIRSTBORN." JEREMIAH 31:9
(e) "For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the SONS OF GOD." ROMANS 8:14

Hiroshi
12-30-2010, 07:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Airforce
And it speaks of others as sons as well , whats your point ?
Indeed it does. So if God has a son then it doesn't mean that that God has to be a trinity does it? Why then should it cause a problem to say that God has a son?

Musalman
12-30-2010, 09:10 AM
Dear mausi!
Allah has told Muslims to believe in the revealed books but over the years the people have changed it.

Insaanah
12-30-2010, 11:27 AM
Why then should it cause a problem to say that God has a son?
Same reason as it does to say that God cried, had to use the bathroom, and died a humiliating, painful death. Begetting offspring, and having relatives, be they sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, cousins, or grandparents, is on exactly the same level as the aforementioned - far removed from the Majesty of God, Glorified and Exalted be He above all that is falsely attributed to Him.

The Qur'an refers to scriptures being given distorted meanings but not to corruption of the written text itself.
"Therefore woe be unto those who write the Scripture with their hands and then say, "This is from Allah," that they may purchase a small gain therewith. Woe unto them for that their hands have written, and woe unto them for that they earn thereby." (Qur'an 2:79)

Peace.

Muslim Woman
12-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Salaam/Peace

" Before ABRAHAM was I AM " And if Jesus existed before ABRAHAM that would make him divine don't You think ?

Is Jesus God? Ahmed Deedat vs Anis Sorrosh

The Bible presents Jeremiah as being a prophet before he was conceived in his mother’s womb; “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations. (From the NIV Bible, Jeremiah 1:5)”

Yet no one says that his pre-human existence qualifies him for deity.

In Exodus chapter 3, God allegedly says: “I am what I am.” Long before the time of Jesus, there existed a Greek translation of the Old Testament called the Septuagint.

The key word, “I am,” in Exodus which is used by Christians to prove the deity of Jesus is translated as “HO ON.” However, when Jesus uses the word in John 8:58 the Greek of the “I am,” is EGO EIMI. If Jesus wanted to tell the Jews that he was claiming to be God he should have at least remained consistent in the use of words or the whole point is lost.

http://truereligiondebate.wordpress....s-anis-sorrosh

Hiroshi
12-30-2010, 03:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
Same reason as it does to say that God cried, went to the toilet, and died a humiliating, painful death. Begetting offspring, and having relatives, be they sons, daughters, brothers, sisters, cousins, or grandparents, is on exactly the same level as the aforementioned - far removed from the Majesty of God, Glorified and Exalted be He above all that is falsely attributed to Him.
But Airforce's post #13 showed that "son" can be understood in a non-literal sense, not necessarily as we understand the process of procreation in humans. A father is a life-giver and God gives life to angels and humans with whom, because of their spiritual qualities, he can have a relationship akin to that of a father with a son or daughter.

Perseveranze
12-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Actually Jesus does get quoted as calling himself the Son of God at John 10:36.

This reads: "Why then do you accuse me of blasphemy because I said, ‘I am God’s Son’?" (NIV)
Asalaamu Alaikum(peace be with you),

John 8:37-40

37 I know you are Abraham's descendants. Yet you are looking for a way to kill me, because you have no room for my word. 38 I am telling you what I have seen in the Father's presence, and you are doing what you have heard from your father. [c]" 39 "Abraham is our father," they answered. If you were Abraham's children," said Jesus, "then you would [d] do what Abraham did. 40 As it is, you are looking for a way to kill me, a man who has told you the truth that I heard from God. Abraham did not do such things.

Jesus is accusing them of killing him simply because they do not like or want to accept his teachings. Jesus clearly stated to them that he is a MAN who was telling them the truth that he heard from GOD. NOT THAT HE IS GOD!!!!!!!!
The Jews were so desperate to convict Jesus of death. They tried everything...

Why doesn't Jesus(pbuh) say "son of God who has told you the truth that I heard from God"?

Mark 14:55-63
55 The chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin were looking for evidence against Jesus so that they could put him to death, but they did not find any. 56 Many testified falsely against him, but their statements did not agree. 57 Then some stood up and gave this false testimony against him: 58 "We heard him say, 'I will destroy this temple made with human hands and in three days will build another, not made with hands.' " 59 Yet even then their testimony did not agree. 60 Then the high priest stood up before them and asked Jesus, "Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?" 61 But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer. Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Messiah, the Son of the Blessed One?" 62 "I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven." 63 The high priest tore his clothes. "Why do we need any more witnesses?" he asked. 64 "You have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?"

You can see that they were so desperate that they had to get false witnesses to testify against Jesus. But that didn't even work. Then when Jesus said that he is God's son they went crazy and accused him of blasphemy out of sheer desperation to have him killed. But I already quoted Jesus in John 10:31-39 in how he defends himself against this accusation and how he shows the misunderstanding that the Jews had of scripture.

You know it was normal in those days to call yourself "Son Of God"?

"To the Israelites and the Jews being called the son of God, and calling God your Father was something normal. This did not denote any divine attribute of the person, nor did it literally mean that God had a literal son, and that God was a literal Father. It was all metaphorical language, by son of God they were essentially referring to themselves as servants of God."

If Jesus(pbuh) said "begotten son of God" which is the literal meaning of a "Father and Son", then maybe you'd have an arguement. The Quran attacks the people who "called Jesus(pbuh) the BEGOTTEN son of God", not Jesus(pbuh) who merely as others would've said in that time, "Son Of God".

Also, you can't just ignore stuff like this -

"Say: He is God, the One and Only; God, the Eternal, Absolute; He begetteth not, nor is He begotten; And there is none like unto Him. (The Noble Quran, 112:1-4)"
"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. (From the NIV Bible, Deuteronomy 6:4)"
"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. (From the NIV Bible, Mark 12:29)"

If Jesus was GOD, then why Mark 15:34 says "And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
If Jesus was GOD, then did Paul say in 1 Corinthians 8:6 "yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live."
If Jesus was GOD, then why in John 20:17 Jesus said "Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet returned to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, 'I am returning to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.' "
If Jesus was GOD, then why in John 8:28 Jesus said "I do nothing of myself"? Can't GOD do anything he wills?
If Jesus was GOD, then why in John 14:28 Jesus said "My Father (GOD) is greater than I"?
If Jesus was GOD, then why in Luke 23:46 Jesus said "Father (GOD), into thy hands I commend my spirit"?
If Jesus was GOD, then why in Mark 10:18 Jesus said “And Jesus said to him, ‘Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone.”?
Also in Luke 18:19 Jesus said only GOD Almighty is Good: ""Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone."

Sources
http://www.answering-christianity.com/questions.htm
http://muslim-responses.com/Isa_the_Messiah/Isa_the_Messiah_
http://www.answering-christianity.com/bassam_zawadi/jews_jesus_blasphemy.htm

To each their own in their belief, but for me it's clear.

جوري
12-30-2010, 06:40 PM
Indeed it does. So if God has a son then it doesn't mean that that God has to be a trinity does it? Why then should it cause a problem to say that God has a son?

What other meaning is there? Aside from the gross attribute of human needs and traits to God except also to join with him in power a weak and ineffectual God who couldn't pick apostles to carry out his commandments upon his death and couldn't ward off a couple of provincial oafs who wanted to crucify him? In essence a mini god born to a god both of them one according to mainstream Christianity, who left the world behind to annunciate himself to a 12 year old, impregnate her with himself becomes his own grandfather, leave the entire world behind in a period where he suckles, and uses places to relieve himself, abrogate his commandments, choose apostles of them the 'rock' forsook him three times before he self-immolated. He himself prayed to himself or according to you to a God who basically didn't hear his prayer and all of this for what? So christians can sin carte Blanche because God died eating their sins? I am sorry but no branch of Christianity Trinitarian or uniterian that can make up for this mess!

all the best

جوري
12-30-2010, 06:42 PM
Before Abraham I am was a dream of John or one of the apostles.. do you base a religion on dreams?

Hamza Asadullah
12-30-2010, 08:40 PM

Thanks in advance

Mausi
Hello there Mausi your questions are most welcome and the only way to gain clarification on any matter is to ask questions and research the topic properly.

In regards to your question i need to use no other sources than the Bible itself to prove that NO where did Jesus ever say or even imply that he is God but the Bible proves itself that Jesus was a creation of God and that ONLY God is worthy of worship:

1- How can Jesus be GOD Almighty in the light of the following verses?

If Jesus was GOD, then why in Mark 12:29 Jesus said "Here, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord." The words"our God" indicate that Jesus had a higher God over him, a stronger God than him. Jesus didn't say "Your God". He said "our God" which includes Jesus as the creation of GOD.

If Jesus was GOD, then why did he ask for GOD's Forgiveness in Luke 23:34? Please visit:

How can Jesus be GOD Almighty when he asked for GOD's Forgiveness?: http://www.answering-christianity.com/jesus_and_god.htm

If Jesus was GOD, then why Mark 15:34 says "And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

If Jesus was GOD, then did Paul say in 1 Corinthians 8:6 "yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live."

If Jesus was GOD, then why in John 20:17 Jesus said "Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet returned to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, 'I am returning to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.' "

If Jesus was GOD, then why in John 8:28 Jesus said "I do nothing of myself"? Can't GOD do anything he wills?

If Jesus was GOD, then why in John 14:28 Jesus said "My Father (GOD) is greater than I"?

If Jesus was GOD, then why in Luke 23:46 Jesus said "Father (GOD), into thy hands I commend my spirit"?

If Jesus was GOD, then why in Mark 10:18 Jesus said “And Jesus said to him, ‘Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone.”?

Also in Luke 18:19 Jesus said only GOD Almighty is Good: ""Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is good—except God alone."

If Jesus was GOD, then why in Matthew 26:39 Jesus begged his GOD to have mercy on him and to pass the cup to death (kill Jesus in another words) before Jesus goes through the pain of crucifixion?

If Jesus was GOD, then why in John 18:38 he didn't reply when he was asked about the truth?

If Jesus was GOD, then why in Matthew 24:36 Jesus said "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." Jesus told his followers that no one (including Jesus) knows when the judgment day will come, only GOD knows?

If Jesus was GOD, then why in Isaiah 11:2-3 GOD had put the spirit of fearing GOD in Jesus? Also see GOD's Spirit in the many others beside Jesus: http://www.answering-christianity.com/spirit.htm

If Jesus was GOD, then why in John 5:31 Jesus told his followers that if he (Jesus) bears witness of himself, then his record is not true?

If Jesus was GOD, then why in John 5:30 Jesus told his followers that he can't do a single thing of his own initiative?

If Jesus was GOD, then why in John 5:36-38 Jesus said that GOD had assigned him (Jesus) work and GOD is a witness on Jesus?

If Jesus was GOD, then why in John 5:32 Jesus told his followers that they have never seen GOD at anytime nor ever heard his voice?

If Jesus was GOD, then why did he pray to his GOD in Luke 5:16?

If Jesus was GOD, then why in Matthew 26:39 Jesus fell on his face and prayed to his GOD?

If Jesus was GOD, then how come in Hebrew 5:7 he prayed and cried for GOD to hear him and give him mercy by saving him from death?

If Jesus was GOD, then how come in John 1:18 he said "No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the FATHER'S side, has made HIM known." Where do you see Trinity in this Verse?

If Jesus was GOD, then how come in John 5:37 he said "And the FATHER who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard HIS voice nor seen HIS form," Jesus and the GOD are different. People heard Jesus, but never heard GOD.

2- The "God" title given to others beside Jesus: http://www.answering-christianity.com/godtitle.htm

3- The "Son" title also given to others beside Jesus:

How come Christians take the "God's Son" title literally with Jesus and they don't take it literally for the rest of the prophets and people who were called the Sons of God?
In John 3:16 Jesus was called God's only Begotten Son.

In Exodus 4:22 "Thus saith Jehovah, Israel is my son, even my firstborn." Israel was called God's First Son.

In Jeremiah 31:9 "I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn." Ephraim is God's First Son and First Born.

In Psalm 2:7 "....Jehovah had said onto me (David), thou art my Son; this day have I begotten thee." David was called God's Begotten Son.

4- Jesus' Miracles were not unique in the Bible:

If Jesus is believed to be GOD because he could do miracles, he could heal leprosy, he could cause blind men to see, or raise the dead, then what about the others who performed the same miracles?

Elisha and Elijah fed a hundred people with twenty barley loaves and a few ears of corn (2 Kings 4:44). Elisha told Naaman, who was a leper, to wash in the river Jordan (2 Kings 5:14) and he was healed. Elisha caused a blind man to see in (2 Kings 6:17,20). Elijah and Elisha raised the dead in (1 Kings 17:22, and 2 Kings 4:34). Even Elisha's dead bones restored a dead body in (2 Kings 13:21). Indeed Jesus had prophesied that people will worship him uselessly and will believe in doctrines not made by GOD but by men "But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. (Matthew 15:9)"

In Matthew 15:9 above, we see Jesus warning that Trinity (the bogus lie) will dominate, and people will take Jesus as GOD and worship him, which is a total sin according to what Jesus said !!.

Allah Almighty (GOD) in the Noble Quran (The Muslims' Holy Scripture) states in Verse 5:72 "They do blaspheme who say: 'God is Christ the son of Mary.' But said Christ: 'O Children of Israel ! worship God, my Lord and your Lord.' "

Also in Noble Verse 5:73 "They do blaspheme who say God is one of three in a Trinity: for there is no god except One God. If they desist not from their word (of blasphemy), verily a grievous penalty will befall the blasphemers among them."

And also in Noble Verse 4:171 "O People of the Book! Commit no excesses in your religion: Nor say of God aught but the truth. Christ Jesus the son of Mary was (no more than) an apostle of God, ..."

Please visit Jesus' Miracles were not unique in the Bible for more details and elaborations:

http://www.answering-christianity.co...s_miracles.htm

Source: http://www.answering-christianity.com/questions.htm

IAmZamzam
12-30-2010, 11:54 PM
If it is not a product of textual corruption, which of course we don't know. The expression is very commonly found all around the Bible in reference to any number of different people from Adam (P) to Solomon (P) to the angels. It's never literal.

I don't believe that it does. The Qur'an refers to scriptures being given distorted meanings but not to corruption of the written text itself.
Both of these issues are things I establish all up and down my website and am tired of talking about. Just read the articles.

IAmZamzam
12-31-2010, 12:01 AM
Hiroshi, imagine God being called someone's brother or uncle instead of their son. Do you see how it sounds? Not only is God too far above us to have a familial relationship with us, it simply isn't necessary in the first place. Wouldn't a more appropriate analogy be that of master and pet? I think Christians just find the idea of a God who has an identifiable, warm-feeling and familiar kind of known relationship with them to be comforting and this is the only real reason why it's so important to them, never mind that there's no rhyme or reason in the notion that just as much comfort couldn't come otherwise. He cares about us enough to give us a shot at paradise: why isn't that enough all by itself? Why is familial love or goodness better than any other kind, and why should it necessarily be the truth in this instance?

mausi
12-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the info. I always thought that Muslims believe in the entire Gospel.

Insaanah
12-31-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the info. I always thought that Muslims believe in the entire Gospel.
We believe in the divine scriptures as revealed by Allah to the Prophets (peace be upon them). It was originally God's words, that were revealed to Jesus (peace be upon him). Christians admit that parts of the book now called the New Testament or Gospels, are written by humans such as Paul, John etc. Our belief is that Allah revealed a scripture to Jesus (peace be upon him), called the Injeel. We do not believe that the current day Bible is the scripture that was revealed to Jesus (peace be upon him). Most of that has been corrupted by the addition of human writings. Possibly, some of Allah's orginal words may remain. We now have the final scripture from Allah with us, 100% Allah's words, which confirms what was revealed in the earlier scriptures; that there is only one God, with no associates whatsoever in His Divinity. This scripture, the Qur'an, has never changed over time, and will never change. There are no versions. In it, Allah sets the record straight about the man-made notions of Jesus's divinity and being a son of God.

And when Allah will say: "O Jesus, son of Mary! Did you say unto mankind: Take me and my mother for two gods beside Allah?"

He will say: "Be Glorified! It was not mine to utter that to which I had no right. If I used to say it, then You knew it. You know what is in my mind, and I know not what is in Your Mind. Lo! You, only You, are the Knower of Things Hidden.

I spoke unto them only that which You commanded me, (saying): Worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord. I was a witness of them while I dwelt among them, and when You took me, You were the Watcher over them. You are Witness over all things.

If You punish them, lo! they are Your slaves, and if You forgive them (lo! they are Your slaves). Lo! you, only You, are the Mighty, the Wise." (Qur'an 5:116-118)

They surely disbelieve who say: "Lo! Allah is the Messiah, son of Mary." The Messiah (himself) said: "O Children of Israel, worship Allah, my Lord and your Lord." Lo! whoso ascribes partners unto Allah, for him Allah has forbidden paradise. His abode is the Fire. For the wrong-doers there will be no helpers. (5:72)

It befits not (the Majesty of) Allah that He should take unto Himself a son. Glory be to Him! When He decrees a thing, He says unto it only: Be! and it is.

[Jesus said]: "And indeed, Allah is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him. That is the right path."(19:35-36)

And they say: The Beneficent hath taken unto Himself a son. Assuredly ye utter a disastrous thing. Whereby almost the heavens are torn, and the earth is split asunder and the mountains fall in ruins, That they attribute to the Most Merciful a son. When it is not meet for (the Majesty of) the Beneficent that He should choose a son.There is no one in the heavens and earth but that he comes to the Most Merciful as a servant. (19:88-93)

And they say: The Beneficent hath taken unto Himself a son. Be He Glorified! Nay, but (those whom they call sons) are honoured slaves. (21:26)

Peace.

IAmZamzam
12-31-2010, 10:49 PM
Nobody know which Gospel the Koran was referring to but it's definitely not any of the "canonical" biblical ones. For instance, it quotes a passage which isn't to be found in any currently known still existing Gospel by anyone.

peaceandlove
01-08-2011, 08:08 AM

Thanks in advance

Mausi
Two answers to your question to the best of my knowlege Allah has given to me.

a) First of all we Muslims believe in Original scriptures to be the word of Allah , like Torat,Zaboor,Injell,Quran etc.

There is no where Bibble is mentioned as Holy Book in Quran. Bibble might contain some translation from original scripture , but that not the original form now, that what will be the first answer.

b) What I know Bibble means books of books, it might contain translation from orignal scripture,It might contain words of Prophets, It might contain words of companions of Prophet, It might contain words by Christian scholars etc

And if you see you might find a 'red letter bibble' red letter means those word (according to Christian sources are words of Prophet Eisa alisalam) , the rest are word might be from Paul or some other scholars, read that book and I think the verse you quotes is not from red letter that mean it might be word of some scholar and not Prophet Eisa alisalm.

selsebil
01-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Hello Brother,
We,Muslims, love Jesus as a great Prophet of God,but not son of God or God.Jesus is a human being like you and me. Almighty God is above having mother and father, relatives or wife.Quran denies the divinity of those who have offspring and parents and equals; and it is to show that they are not worthy of being worshipped.Almighty God is above all relations which suggest giving birth and being born. He is exempt from having any partners, helpers, or fellows. His relations with all beings are those of Creator. He creates through His pre-eternal will with the command of “Be!,” and it is. He is far beyond having any relation which is contrary to perfection, or is compelling, necessitating, or involuntary.Almighty God is pre-eternal and post-eternal, He is the First and the Last. Neither in His essence, nor in His attributes, nor in His actions, has He in any way any equal, peer, like, or match, or anything similar, resembling, or analogous to Him. Only, in His acts, there may be comparisons expressing similarity.
Original Bible is the word of God.Bible and Torah have been translated again and again, and a great many alien words have become intermingled with them. Also, the words of commentators and their false interpretations have been confused with their verses. In addition, the distortions of the ignorant and the hostile have been incorporated into them. In these ways, the corruptions and alterations have multiplied in those Books.
Hope that helped.

Peace!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!