/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Learning about another religion in school.

Musalman
12-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Is learning about another religion jaiz in Islam?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Rafeeq
12-30-2010, 10:40 AM
As it is my personal opinion, I do not feel any thing wrong in it. But in very younger age, it should be under wise supervision.

GuestFellow
12-30-2010, 10:44 AM
:sl:

I've learnt about Judaism, Christianity, Bahai' faith, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism and Zoroastrianism.

I think it is fine to learn about other people's religion because not to appear ignorant or to offend those of other faiths. In fact, it helped me to come closer to Islam.

- Moonlight -
12-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Assalamu'alaikum,

IMO, I think it's actually really important we learn about other religions (and respect it too) so that we can rebuke what they say if a question ever comes our way about Islam with knowledge of where they're coming from. We need to know what they believe in and why they think this and that and what Islam says about that particular topic. Learning about other religions provides us with the essential knowledge that is needed to debate and discuss issues with others.

For example, this might be quite a simple situation, but its still important to understand: Christmas, to be able to someone especially children why we don't celebrate it and how our beliefs differ with regards to Muslims belief that Jesus AS is the messenger of Allah swt, not His son etc we need to have known why Christians celebrate Christmas, what's the story behind it etc...

However, I agree with Brother Rafeeq, you need to be quite careful with younger people..

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ummu Sufyaan
12-31-2010, 11:43 AM
sometimes the best way to learn about other religions is through Islam...you learn alot through reading and listening to the people of knowledge, both past and present.

Muslim Woman
12-31-2010, 11:53 AM
Salaam

first learn about your own religion , then to my knowledge it's allowed to know about other faith.

Personally my faith strengthen after reading other scriptures and compared those with holy Quran.

Danah
12-31-2010, 12:38 PM
I did a quick search about a fatwa regarding that topic in google but I didn't find anything.

I think there no way we can understand Islam without knowing the main things about other religions. Like how we can understand the monotheism (Tawheed) in Islam if we didn't know what is polytheism and how Islam came to remove all polytheism practices.

Not going in details, but just go through the basics though. I remember we studied very basic things about Christianity, Judaism and Hinduism when we were in school, it helped us understand Islam in a better way.

format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Personally my faith strengthen after reading other scriptures and compared those with holy Quran.
Same is here!

Zafran
12-31-2010, 03:52 PM
salaam

Yes its a good idea to read about other religions.

peace

Perseveranze
12-31-2010, 03:53 PM
Asalaamu Alaikum,

Without sounding arrogant, when you get older it is imo best to learn about other Religions as well as Islam. Then you'll learn to appreciate Islam and it's perfection ALOT more. You'll hear alot of stories of reverts who looked at all these religions, who left Islam till last (because of all the negative propoganda) and once they finally got around to studying it, they immediatly reverted. There's alot of proof and logic in this beautiful religion.

I just don't believe there's a single Muslim out there who's studied this religion sincerely, with their OWN minds and thought about it and practiced the true Islam would ever want to leave it.

جوري
12-31-2010, 03:59 PM
I went to a catholic private school and I am grateful and although I wasn't practicing Islam at the time or even for a long while afterward, I knew if I wanted to join a religion it wouldn't be Christianity so it was very helpful in that regard plus I got to learn many other unusual things about their practices and religion...

:w:

serena77
12-31-2010, 04:27 PM
for those who aren't muslim... but change religions later in life... I think (now) that its sad that often times Islam isnt considered. I didnt consider it when i was first looking into religions.. I studied... several.... including wiccan, buddhism, episcopalian (baptized into ) and then catholicism .... I didnt think about Islam... ( didnt think about judaism either .... ) ... but i wish i had .. i seriously regret not having done so.
Serena

glo
12-31-2010, 08:33 PM
Serena, do you think you would have benefited from learning more about other religions in school?
BTW, I had a phase in my life when I was very intrigued by Buddhism and paganism too ...

GuestFellow
12-31-2010, 08:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ummu Sufyaan
sometimes the best way to learn about other religions is through Islam...you learn alot through reading and listening to the people of knowledge, both past and present.
:wa:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Ummu Sufyaan
01-01-2011, 07:01 AM
^well for example when learning about tawheed, you may come across concepts which negate tawheed and here some scholars will use examples of other sets of beliefs to highlight their point.

GuestFellow
01-01-2011, 11:30 AM
^ Oh I understand now. Thanks.

yahia12
01-20-2011, 10:31 PM
i was pretty ok at religion classes in school. I found buddism and hindusim most confusing.

AhlaamBella
01-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Learning about other religions helps MASSIVELY in Dawah

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!