/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is Your Home an Islamic Home?

Hamza Asadullah
12-30-2010, 08:13 PM

Is Your Home an Islamic Home?

"And Allah has made for you in your homes a place of rest..." [An-Nahl:80]

This may seem like an unusual question and your automatic response may be "Why, of course my home is an Islamic Home!! My family is Muslim and that makes our home a Muslim one!!"

Go through this short checklist to determine if your response should really be in the affirmative.

I Have Chosen a Good Spouse

There are several ahadeeth that highlight the importance of choosing a righteous and pious spouse. The wisdom of this is obvious: a pious spouse is more likely to bring happiness and contentment to the other spouse and the couple together will be more able to build a righteous family and home life. This is the foundation of the home.

I Help Guide My Spouse

This begins with each spouse fulfilling the duties and responsibilities of their roles and treating each other with kindness and compassion. It then goes beyond this to include guidance in other spiritual matters such as striving to strengthen imaan; paying attention to worship and correcting it when needed; encouraging the reading of Qur'an, praying at night, giving charity, and reading books on Islam; helping to choose pious friends; enjoining goodness and forbidding evil. Emaan is something that may increase or decrease so it is necessary to continually focus on increasing our own and that of our spouse.

Our Home is a Place for Remembrance of Allah

Remembrance can be in many forms: with the heart, with the tongue, through prayer, recitation of Qur'an, memorizing adhkaar and using them, discussing Islamic issues, or reading Islamic material. These are things that should occur on a consistent basis so that the angels will come to the home and bring Allah's blessings.

The Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wasallam, said: "The example of a home in which Allah is remembered and the example of a home in which Allah is not remembered, is like comparing the living and the dead." (Muslim).

Our Home is a Place of Worship

This means that salah is established within the home at its required time and that members of the family pray in congregation when several are present. The family may also designate a specific area for prayer and maintain its uniqueness and cleanliness. For women, it is better to pray each prayer within the home. For men, it is recommended to pray voluntary prayers at home after having prayed obligatory prayers in the masjid.

The Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wasallam, said: "The voluntary prayer in the home is better than the voluntary prayer with the people. It is like the obligatory prayer of the man in congregation being better than praying the obligatory by himself." (Sahih al-Jaami). This is to ensure that homes are made places of worship just as the masajids.

We Regularly read Surat Al-Baqarah and Ayatul Kursi to Keep Satan Away

The Messenger of Allah, sallallahu alayhe wasallam, said: "Recite Surat Al-Baqarah in your houses, for the Satan does not enter a house in which Surat Al-Baqarah is recited." (Sahih al-Jaami).

He also said: "When you go to your bed, recite Ayatul Kursi: 'Allah! There is no god but Him, the Ever-Living, the One Who Sustains and Protects all that exists', to the end, for then there will remain over you a guardian from Allah, and Satan will not come near you until morning." (Bukhari).

Teaching and Learning are Ongoing Activities in Our Home

This is primarily the responsibility of the head of die household who must ensure that he is guiding his family to the correct path, enjoining them to do good, and forbidding them from evil. Attaining knowledge is incumbent upon all members of the family and is the basis upon which Emaan will flourish, A study circle should be established in the home that covers the various areas in Islam and from which all family members will benefit. Children should especially be encouraged to participate since this will establish a pattern for them that will be carried throughout their lifetimes.

We Have an Islamic Library in Our Home

This may include such things as books, cassette tapes, and CDs. It is important to choose accurate and reliable material that will benefit the members of the family. There should be a variety of materials to cover all age levels and language needs of those in the home. Arabic material is definitely a must since everyone in the family should either know or be learning to read the language of the Qur'an. Books should cover a variety of topics, be properly organized, and be easily accessible. Audiotapes and CDs may include Qur'an recitation, lectures, khutbahs, tapes for children containing supplications, reminders of Islamic manners, and nasheeds (religious songs with no musical instruments). Family members should encourage one another to use these materials on a regular basis, and should be shared with other Muslim families who may be in need of them.

We Try to Have Morals and Manners Like Prophet Muhammad

The Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, said; "When Allah wills some good towards the people of a household. He introduces kindness among them." (Ahmad, Sahih al-Jaami).

He also said: "Allah loves kindness and rewards it in such a way the He docs not reward for harshness or for anything else." (Muslim).

There are many examples of the Prophet's kindness and good treatment toward his family that we should try to emulate. He was affectionate and playful with his wives and children and would help with household chores to case the burden for his wives. Following his example will bring tranquility to the home and help to truly make it an abode of rest.

We Know the Islamic Rulings That Pertain to Houses

Such as guarding the secrets of the home, seeking permission to enter, not looking into other people's homes, not allowing children to enter the parent's bedroom during certain times of the day, and not staying alone overnight. This last one is interesting to consider since some husbands travel for their business or work.

The Prophet, sallallahu alayhi wasallam, actually discouraged this. Ibn Umar reported that the Prophet forbade being alone and said that a man should not stay overnight alone or travel alone (Ahmad).

Not only will he be alone, but his wife and children are likely to be left alone in the home without any protection or companionship.

We Invite Righteous and Knowledgeable People to Our Home

"My Lord! Forgive me, and my parents, and him who enters my home as a believer, and all the believing men and women." [71:28].

Righteous people who enter your home will bring many benefits due to their presence and conversations with them. They are more likely to discuss useful topics and may be excellent sources of information and knowledge. We should always make du'aa that Allah will bless us with righteous friends since they can have such positive effects on us.

The Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wasallam, said: "Keep company with a believer only, and let your food be eaten only by the righteous." (Abu Dawud, Tirmithi).

There are No Evils Within Our Home

Television (except possibly for educational programs) and unlawful music are not allowed in the house; pictures on the wall do not contain animate beings; there are no statues or anything that resembles statues; dogs are not present in the house; smoking is not allowed; decorations are kept simple to avoid excessiveness; the telephone is used for beneficial purposes and not harmful ones (such as gossiping or backbiting); when people come to visit, the men and women sit separately. The effects of these evils on the sanctity of the home should be obvious. For example, the Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, said: "Angels do not enter a house which has either a dog or a picture in it." (Bukhari).

The Physical Aspects of the Home are Conducive to Fulfilling Religious Obligations

It is best for the home to be close to a mosque so that it will be easier for men to attend the prayers in congregation and for all family members to visit the mosque for lectures, study groups, and social gatherings. It is also advisable to find an area where other Muslims live to obtain the benefits of community. One should definitely be careful about close neighbors and avoid those who are obviously immoral. When choosing a house, consideration should be made regarding the availability of separate sitting areas for men and women. The house should be spacious and fulfil safety and health requirements.

SOURCE: http://www.al-inaam.com/library/islamichome.htm

Al JUMUAH VOL 11 ISSUE 8

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cuezed
12-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Alhamdulillah my home almost fits the description above, we don't recite surah albaqara daily and not close to a masjid

Danah
12-30-2010, 10:48 PM
:sl:

JazakAllah khair for sharing that inspiring article.

The seed of the whole community is the family, if it is good then the whole community will be good.

tigerkhan
12-31-2010, 03:02 AM
Aslamolikum
very good article bro.
in urdu we say it as "garron ko masjid ki skhakh banana"...mean our home should be like our masjids...with amaals....dawat, tahleem-o-tahlam, zikar-o-ibadaat, khidmaat... as u mentioned above.
anyway what i blv is Allah SWT deen ka kam un logon say lay ga jo garron may say tarbeeyat yafta hoon gay....mean today we dont have a system for education and tarbeyat for our childs in our homes. so we send them schools and mudrassa, but what a child can get from home and mother, can never be from school and mudrassa. so when there will be young like Muhammad bin Qasim, insh Islam will dominate again in this world. He just in 17 came to Indo-pak regoin and bcz of his efforts, today this whole area is rich with islam and muslims. now a days our young of 17...do u imagine a matriculate student can do such, but Muhammad Bin Qasim did, bcz he was not gone to any school ( and i am sure in that time there will be no mudrassa) but he was educated from home. their home were full with thses amaals of education and tarbeeyat.
so we also should need to learn the way we muslim umma go up....Allah SWt help all of us to do what He want from us in this time...
JazakAllah

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Amoeba
12-31-2010, 11:26 AM
Hm. If you live with a non-muslim and aren't able to move, do you think it's sufficient to make your own bedroom like this only, if unable to change any other part of the house?

Though not being left alone/praying in congregation/etc aren't possible.

Haya emaan
06-02-2011, 11:42 AM
just now i found this article and its really very beneficial to judge ones own house if it is really Islamic..

today we really need to focus on the situations in our homes and families as there are so many people around us and among us who do dawah work so much but their own homes are really in worst conditions...

JaZAKALLAH khair for sharing this...

Ğħαrєєвαħ
06-03-2011, 09:34 PM
Assalaamu Alaaykum

Great reminder!

Jazakallaahu Khaayr for sharing

Galaxy
07-05-2011, 09:58 PM
:wa:

Jazaaka Allaahu khayr! Akhee what a beneficial article. Indeed, that's a perfect home!

Reflections
07-12-2011, 08:51 PM
Great article!

JazakAllahukheir for sharing.

Ma3salama

SFatima
07-13-2011, 08:59 AM
JazakAllah khair for the nice article. Would just like to add that although it is the picture of an ideal spouse and an ideal home , but if one does not have it, we should try to make it one, and be grateful for which ever little one we have. Its a little too idealistic to find a righteous educated spouse for all righteous educated muslimahs out there, I know how the actual situation is, most probably do, so apart from knowing what makes a perfect husband, one has to be prepared for the less than a perfect husband too, otherwise many girls will keep waiting till they're old, for the 'ideal' one as many guys keep waiting for the ideal beautiful muslimah woman : ). One can grow together in faith too, and if one marries with the right intentions, you can find love in the not so beautiful muslimah too IA.

peace.

Hamza Asadullah
10-19-2011, 03:01 AM
The Muslim Home – 40 recommendations

http://www.missionislam.com/family/40naseeha.htm

shahedatalbahr
10-28-2011, 04:37 PM
السماح بالكتابة بحسب النطق الصوتي

Praise God honored me with all these things in the house so much and thank God and the existence of religion in the house and was caused by my father after God Almighty:statisfie

Hamza Asadullah
08-15-2012, 09:53 PM
51 Practical Tips for Establishing (or Re-establishing) an Islamic Atmosphere in the Home

http://runningamuslimhome.blogspot.c...ishing-or.html

~Zaria~
12-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

Im hoping to get some ideas, insha Allah:

How does one entertain family members, within the home, who may visit/ stay over (e.g. during holidays).....without a TV?

If one is leading the above lifestyle on his/ her own, this is easy.
However, it seems that boredom strikes quickly for others if there is no television in the home......

What does everyone get up to during the day? :/

ardianto
01-12-2013, 10:38 AM

I remember when I visited an Ustadz's home who his wife is my wife's friend. I saw the furnitures and decoration were simple, there's no picture of life being on the wall or on the desks, all photos were stored in albums. And I saw .... books, books, books!. Not only books about Fiqh or Sharia, but also social, politic, economic, etc. His house is like a library.

Muhaba
01-12-2013, 11:36 AM
A portion of our Islamic library was stolen by the shipping company.

~Zaria~
01-12-2013, 06:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto

I remember when I visited an Ustadz's home who his wife is my wife's friend. I saw the furnitures and decoration were simple, there's no picture of life being on the wall or on the desks, all photos were stored in albums. And I saw .... books, books, books!. Not only books about Fiqh or Sharia, but also social, politic, economic, etc. His house is like a library.

Wa-alaikumsalam,

SubhanAllah, theres not many homes that resemble the above nowadays, unfortunately.

I think that the most pleasing homes to the eye, and those with the most 'calming' and relaxing effect on the mind are those which are minimally decorated (vs being cluttered with unnecessary items), have plant-life/ flowing waters (if possible) and are free from everything that attaches us to this dunya.

If you consider that as soon as we leave our homes, we are literally bombarded by all forms of zina - of the eyes and ears, by means of music in almost all public spaces, half-dressed (and less) women everywhere (its summer at the moment - so its really dangerous leaving home at the moment :/ ), bill-boards and magazine/ newspaper covers filled with sexual over-tones, etc....

So, our homes should be our 'safe havens' - a place where we are free from all these negative influences; where the angels would want to enter and shaytaan and his crew would want to flee from.

Unfortunately, most people find such homes very 'boring'. Its almost impossible for them to imagine a life without a television, for example.
And they would often look at the owners of such homes with sympathy.

SubhanAllah, if only they knew what peace and tranquillity enters ones heart and life, when we eradicate these harmful, mind-controlling forms of 'entertainment' from our lives.

Still makes entertaining guests a little challenging though.....:/

:wa:

Hamza Asadullah
12-22-2014, 12:48 AM
Creating an Islamic Atmosphere at home:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...the%20Home.pdf

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!