/* */

PDA

View Full Version : problems with scarf

elina
01-02-2011, 11:36 AM
salaam everyone.....

im having problems keeping my scarf in place.... it slides off all the time...ive tried grips but they dont seem to help.... i dont know any sisters in real life to ask, i asked my husband and he showed me how to tie hijab but id rather just wear a scarf....im guessing theres an obvious answer to this and im going to be sitting here looking like this :embarrass

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
01-02-2011, 11:44 AM
:sl:
what do you mean a scarf?
it maybe the type of fabric your scarf is made out of. becuase fabrics have different uses some fabrics are very slippery and hard to handle whilst others maybe very heavy....it depends on its purpose. try hijabs that are made from different materials. being a hijab, it should already be made from a suitable fabric...i.e perhaps you are using somethign which resembles a hijab but isn't actually meant to be used as one?

elina
01-02-2011, 12:03 PM
hi umma thank you :) .... yeah some of the fabrics are too slippery but i have heavier cotton ones and they do the same.... im using pashmina or ordinary scarf loosely.... ive used them lots of times before i reverted and i wasnt too bothered when they slipped back or off but now i am :(

i did find a pic to show you what i mean but i cant post a link yet...sorry

Ansariyah
01-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Sista, have tried underscarf (bonnet caps)? Try also doing ur hair in a bun, or a ponytail so the hairs tightened well at the back. After doing that place the bonnet cap, then do ur hijab with a pin.=)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
elina
01-02-2011, 02:28 PM
hi yanoorah...thank you so much :) ive just googled bonnet caps and found a couple of really great sites with those and other types of underscarf :)

Nonnie
01-05-2011, 07:53 PM
Hi sister! Congratulations on beginning to wear the hijab! I am not a full-time hijabi, but masha'Allah, I wear it as often as possible and I have some experience with it. If you need any help at all, please feel free to contact me. Insha'Allah, I am creating youtube account about hijab help and I'll be happy to send you the link when I begin posting videos.

About the question you posed, wearing an underscarf is very helpful, but if you don't have an underscarf yet, what you can do is take a rectangular scarf and tie it in the ribbon style (you can google that since I can't post links) and take another scarf and wrap it around that, using the first scarf as an underscarf.

There are also several no-pin, no-underscarf styles that I know. You secure the scarf with folds and tucking in edges, and you can even use hair slides/bobby pins to hold the scarf in place. Using a more textured scarf is better than a silk or satin one at first because the silk ones slide much more easily than a cotton scarf, for example. Insha'Allah this helps you!

Ansariyah
01-05-2011, 08:22 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by elina
hi yanoorah...thank you so much :) ive just googled bonnet caps and found a couple of really great sites with those and other types of underscarf :)
Ur very welcome sista..If u need any help ur always welcome to ask.:)

elina
01-06-2011, 08:35 PM
hi nonnie, thanks for the advice :) i bought a couple of different underscarves, one like a wide headband, the other a tie back head covering and they both work great in keeping my scarf on.....i would love to see any vids you make, at the minute im just wearing a loose scarf but im slowly moving towards hijab :)

elina
01-06-2011, 08:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Yanoorah
Ur very welcome sista..If u need any help ur always welcome to ask.:)
thank you :) :) :)

Esther462
01-13-2011, 05:35 PM
I use under scarfs and pins to keep my hijab in place. You can get some really nice pins. 1s from a simple sowing shop will do just as well.

elina
01-16-2011, 04:28 PM
thanks esther :) i ended up buying a couple of underscarves and bonnets and i got some pins free with them .....lots nicer now my scarves stay in place :)

Esther462
01-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Your welcome enlina.

siorghra
01-17-2011, 05:41 AM
It seems to me like you're making excuses as to "not" wearing your scarf. A simple fabric can be wrapped around and tied with a pin, or stylish brooch with no problems what so ever.
Sorry, but I've never heard of a woman not being able to secure the scarf on her head.

elina
01-17-2011, 05:13 PM
no excuses at all siorghra.... i just didnt know how to keep it in place :(

Ummu Sufyaan
01-18-2011, 06:06 AM
^its cool sis. we all have a starting point =)

Cabdullahi
01-18-2011, 07:12 AM
madame use blue tac or superglue

*charisma*
01-18-2011, 07:26 AM
Assalamu Alaikum

If you go to youtube and search hijab tutorial or wrapping hijab, you should find some really good vids inshallah that show you how to wrap it and secure it really nicely.

fi aman allah
w'salaam

elina
01-19-2011, 11:11 AM
wa alaikum salaam...thanks for that charisma ...my husband has shown me how to do hijab but after looking on youtube theres some really nice ways to do it :) at the minute im just wearing a loose scarf, i feel suffocated if i wear hijab, but the last few times ive found myself pulling my scarf closer to my head so hopefully i will get used to it :)

hi abdullahii....superglue would probably be better than blutac as it dries clear and doesnt leave a bump lol

shakylla
02-05-2011, 04:59 AM
at the minute im just wearing a loose scarf
Well, I think that's the cause right there. When a scarf is worn loosely around the head, it would fall off. But no worries, you'll get more comfortable wrapping it tighter around your head over time.

Over here in Asia, we have a type of one-piece hijab, where you simply slip it on and you won't have to use a pin or anything to keep it from falling apart. Though I've never worn it before, I do find it very convenient.

And I agree with *charisma*, YouTube has a lot of useful tutorials on wearing the hijab. Personally, I would recommend this person, Amenakin. So do watch her videos when you have the time!

elina
02-11-2011, 03:42 PM
salaam shakylla and thank you :) you are so right about me feeling more comfortable wrapping it tighter....i dont particulary like it loose anymore like i was wearing it .....I also bought some pins and a couple of underbonnets which were a great help :) Ive seen the one piece hijab and thought of buying one to try, it seemed like a good idea :) thanks for the mention of Amenakin, i will have a look next time im on there :)

kite runner
02-27-2011, 07:41 AM
I find if you pin the hijab under your chin it helps to keep it in place

Raaina
02-27-2011, 07:50 AM
How are you getting on with the hijab Sister Elina?

LightLine
02-28-2011, 10:04 PM
you should wear hijab sister

cat eyes
02-28-2011, 10:10 PM
try to use cotton scarfs. they are more secure and easier to clip around your head. if u use light material scarfs your gonna have problems

Sunnie Ameena
03-22-2011, 12:26 AM
elina, I have had the same problems with keeping the scarf in place. The top kept coming down and the back kept coming up. I am going to try the bonnets next. Thanks for posting issue.
nonnie, I would also love to see any videos you post. Looking forward to them. Sunnie

yas2010
03-22-2011, 12:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by siorghra
It seems to me like you're making excuses as to "not" wearing your scarf. A simple fabric can be wrapped around and tied with a pin, or stylish brooch with no problems what so ever.
Sorry, but I've never heard of a woman not being able to secure the scarf on her head.

Salaam

Sister Siorghra. I believe Sister Elina is just asking for a starting point and pointers in the right direction and Insh'Allah the pleasant and the nice community of IB will help her.

I am sure sister Elina did not need to come to the forum to make excuses for not wearing the hijab!

:wa:

Ali Mujahidin
03-22-2011, 01:44 AM
As salaam mualaikum. Hijab is the way to go. I pray that Allah will give you the strength to do that asap. Insha Allah.

Faatin
03-22-2011, 05:44 AM
I just gotta tell you sis you're great =). I've seen a couple of your posts and you're always looking for ways to please Allah to the best of your ability, and I think that is absolutely beautiful and inspiring. May Allah bless you sis! And as for the hijabs, just stay away from the georgette ones (I am 99% sure I just misspelled this word) but yeah those ones enjoy falling off ones head -_-. At least from my own experience...
salaam everyone.....

im having problems keeping my scarf in place.... it slides off all the time...ive tried grips but they dont seem to help.... i dont know any sisters in real life to ask, i asked my husband and he showed me how to tie hijab but id rather just wear a scarf....im guessing theres an obvious answer to this and im going to be sitting here looking like this :embarrass

elina
03-27-2011, 10:47 AM
salaam everyone.... im really sorry i took so long to answer....i didnt realise i had any more replies....thank you all for your help

i tried pins kite runner and they helped a lot :) thank you :)

hi sunnie, i have a couple of bonnets and they really help, especially when i pinned the scarf to it at each side or sometimes on the top :)

thank you so much faatin.... thats made me feel more confident rather than feeling like im asking silly questions all the time

soooooo .... i have an update :) ...... I was so fed up of my scarf blowing off the top of my head if it wasnt pinned, or the ends sliding down from over my shoulders that i ended up pulling it tighter and tighter around my face...... Im not actually wearing proper hijab like i have seen other women wear but Im also no longer just wearing a loose scarf...... I feel a lot more confident when im out, it no longer makes me feel claustrophobic, and im also feeling happy to wear it like this whereas before it felt so strange. I also wear it around the house a lot, before i just had a scarf handy in case the door knocked or anyone came...... thank you so much to every one who helped :)

NoorAlamal
04-02-2011, 07:11 PM
I always wear underscarf to avoid my hear to appear and it fix the scrarf very well .

Ranya
04-03-2011, 09:56 PM
It's for this reason I use only cotton scarf or bonnet under the scarf.

elina
04-07-2011, 04:35 PM
hi sister nooralamal and sister rayna, thats what i started doing and it really helps :)

elina
04-07-2011, 04:37 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by LightLine
you should wear hijab sister
salam brother lightline.... im just about there..... sorry i didnt see you before until i just scrolled up looking for a post mentioning youtube

elina
04-07-2011, 04:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by shakylla
Well, I think that's the cause right there. When a scarf is worn loosely around the head, it would fall off. But no worries, you'll get more comfortable wrapping it tighter around your head over time.

Over here in Asia, we have a type of one-piece hijab, where you simply slip it on and you won't have to use a pin or anything to keep it from falling apart. Though I've never worn it before, I do find it very convenient.

And I agree with *charisma*, YouTube has a lot of useful tutorials on wearing the hijab. Personally, I would recommend this person, Amenakin. So do watch her videos when you have the time!
i finally got on youtube to watch the vids by Amenakin.... thank you so much for the recommendation...... not only are her videos easy to understand she is such a lovely person too :)

إحسان
04-15-2011, 11:34 PM
My advice to you is:
- Buy pins to keep it in place
- Buy a bonnet to wear on your head before placing your hijab

Where to buy: any local islamic shop/ if you don't have that near you, then you can always order online. I would recommend going to a hijabi shop website called pearl-daisy just search it up on Google.

- Dua

elina
04-22-2011, 09:13 AM
assalam alaikum dua......thanks for the advice........ Pearl Daisy is a lovely site, ive also found a couple of others..... hijabstoreonline (i think off the top of my head) beautiful scarves and all at a really reasonable price :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!