/* */

PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about this Arabic word.

A-Believer-25
01-03-2011, 08:42 PM
:sl:

I have a question about the Arabic word "Thumma", which most commenly get's translated as "then". I noticed that some translations translates the word "thumma" as "furthermore" or "moreover" and sometimes some other words.

I don't know much Arabic, although I come from an Arab Muslim family, and I did know how to speak lots of Arabic when I was younger but as I got older I speak more English than Arabic, which is the result of me being raised here in the US. I can understand some Arabic, but that's all...

So my question is, can the word "thumma" also mean "moreover"? Also when "thumma" is used, does it always imply a sequential act? I just want to get that clairfied, inshallah.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
01-05-2011, 09:49 PM
:salamext:

ثُمَّ = Then, thereupon, afterwords, thereafter, after that, next, later, later on, subsequently, moreover, furthermore, besides.

These are the meanings for ثُمَّ.

Ummu Sufyaan
01-06-2011, 02:12 AM
wa alaykum us-Salaam
this thread may help: http://www.islamicboard.com/arabic/134277080-what.html

muslim012
01-06-2011, 11:10 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif

ثُمَّ = Then, thereupon, afterwords, thereafter, after that, next, later, later on, subsequently, moreover, furthermore, besides.

I also believe this is about right

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
A-Believer-25
01-08-2011, 02:38 AM
Thank you all for the reply!

Jazakum-Allah khair!

ayesha.ansari
01-11-2011, 07:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif

thanks for sharing information about this word. its been great.

Shasid
11-07-2013, 10:01 AM
:sl:
My brothers and sister.

O' Allah Azza Wa Jal, if I say anything wrong, forgive me!

(Have I posted in the right category?)

I'm researching every word and verse in the Qur'an for more knowledge about the Qur'an and Islam. May Allah Azza Wa Jal increase my knowledge!

I need help with a word, the word thumma (summa). Does it mean 'then' or does the word have more meanings? My friend said that it also means moreover or simultaneously. So what he said, it is correct? I don't know Arabic. Can anyone also link me to a good dictionary?

Jazakallah! :sunny:

ardianto
11-07-2013, 11:27 AM
:wa:

http://www.islamicboard.com/quran/13...abic-word.html

:)

Shasid
11-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Jazakallah brother!!!

greenhill
11-07-2013, 12:41 PM
It can also mean 'again'.... yes?

anisafatima
11-07-2013, 12:51 PM
In my opinion, it is a conjunctive word so there might be possibility that sense of above words may sound correct and it will be better to consult with a scholar. Allah (SWT) knows the best.

imranmehdi551
04-23-2019, 10:59 AM
I have found the answer thanks to Allah. To understand the events of 41:9-12, you need to first read this verse:
"And [recall] when We made an appointment with Moses for forty nights. Then you took [for worship] the calf after him, while you were wrongdoers." 2:51

Here Also Allah used the word Summa/thumma, He said, when We made an appointment with Moses for forty nights, Thumma/Summa, you took [for worship] the calf after him, while you were wrongdoers.
Now Here, we see that the calf was taken for worship during those 40 nights where Musa went to Mount Toor, and the mount had burnt due to Allah's Noor. if Thumma/summa had meant an event occuring after the completion of the first event. then, the event of Bani Israel taking calf should have happened after the completion o 40 nights, but then Musa came back, and how come the calf event could occur then, when it took place during the 40 night appointment. for Thumma/Summa to mean an event happening after the completion of first would mean Musa had 2, 40 night appointments, but he had 1, so Thumma/summa mean simultaneous events.

Now that we are clear on that. Lets see the verses. 41:9-12 :
"Do you indeed disbelieve in He who created the earth in two days and attribute to Him equals? That is the Lord of the worlds." 41:9

"And He placed on the earth firmly set mountains over its surface, and He blessed it and determined therein its [creatures'] sustenance in four days without distinction - for [the information] of those who ask." 41:10

"Then He directed Himself to the heaven while it was smoke and said to it and to the earth, "Come [into being], willingly or by compulsion." They said, "We have come willingly."" 41:11

"And He completed them as seven heavens within two days and inspired in each heaven its command. And We adorned the nearest heaven with lamps and as protection. That is the determination of the Exalted in Might, the Knowing." 41:12

Now, the first verse 41:9 says the Earth made in two days, and the verse that follows 41:10 say the Earth completed in 4 days. it total is 6 days.
Now, the 41:11-12, was done in two days, many doubters call it contradiction that it makes days 8, but no, it does not,
Verse 41:11 has "Thumma/summa" at the beganing,

"Thumma/summa, He directed Himself to the heaven while it was smoke and said to it and to the earth, "Come [into being], willingly or by compulsion." They said, "We have come willingly."" 41:11
hence, the events of 41:9, and 41:11-12 were happening at the same time. As, 41:9 tells us in how many days Earth was made, and in 41:11-12 Allah tells us, how He made both Heaven and the Earth in two days. Hence, as clearly the creation of heaven and Earth, occured at the same time, hence it is not a contradiction, factual or mathematical error. Hence, in 2 days Heaven and Earth were made, and then in 4 days, Earth was decorated. Hence, in total it took 6 days. As, it is mentioned in All other verses.

Quran mentions big bang, and science proves it, so everything was made from nothing via big bang, which was very precise and a mistake in zillionth decimal place would have reversed the process, the universe is so finely tuned that a minute mistake could have ended water and life. the speed of expansion is perfect had it been faster, the orbits wont be made.

after the blast the Earth was decorated, even science admit, iron, water was added as Quran told, the protective layer mentioned in Quran has been proven as well.

"Then He directed Himself to the heaven while it was smoke and said to it and to the earth, "Come [into being], willingly or by compulsion." They said, "We have come willingly."" 41:11

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!