/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Question

Money2g
01-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Salaam everyone, I have a question which has been bothering me and my wife ever since we heard of it. We both got married in Afghanistan and got the whole nikah ceremony done but after about a year I brought her to America through a K1 visa which means that she will have to get married within 90 days of entering the US. Now we went to city hall and got married officially by the ordained minister with him reading from the bible. We did it with the fact in mind that we needed to get married in order for her to be able to stay. Now the problem thats bothering us is that a person we know said that by us getting married by the minister, our nikah had been "void" after or that it was haram for us to be together unless we got our nikah redone by a Mullah. I have never heard of such a thing and was wondering if its true and if we need to redo our nikah by a Mullah or some other way.

Thanks

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
01-06-2011, 07:38 AM
:sl:

I'm confused. There was no need for a religious ceremony. the law only wants a legal contract. the marriage is basically for tax purposes.

Nobody had any right to make you have a religious ceremony with a ready from the bibles. It would have been sufficient to just resign your Nikkah with a Justice of the Peace being a witness.

Now thatyou took part in a Religipus ceremony it is possibly that both you and your wife unwillingly committed shird and need to pray for forgiveness. It would not have been a legal ceremony as neither of you are of the faith of the minister, so I would question if the religious ceremony was legal. In any case I do not see how the "phony"
marriage which you had no willing part of would invalidate your Nikkah. Neither of you changed faith or divorced. I can not see what about it would have anything to do with your Nikkah. Just my opinion for the reasons I stated. I could be wrong astagfirullah.

Just curious whatstate and county did this take place in?Your Nikkah should have been accepted in any State and County as proof of a valid marriage. Actually in the USA in most states you can be legally married by common law with no ceremony simply by presenting your selves as married on any Public document or even a sales or rental contract.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!