/* */

PDA

View Full Version : dating a muslim.... :)

steph
01-13-2011, 07:52 PM
So my boyfriend is muslim, I am not affiliated with any religious beliefs, I consider myself spiritual. We both respect each others beliefs. Sometimes when I ask him questions about his religion, he doesn't know how to explain it, so we often look online for answers. One question that I have that I could not find an answer to is why do muslims shower with underwear on? When we shower together, he doesn't wear anything, but he says when he showers alone, he wears something. Explanation please?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
'Abd-al Latif
01-13-2011, 11:02 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by steph
So my boyfriend is muslim, I am not affiliated with any religious beliefs, I consider myself spiritual. We both respect each others beliefs. Sometimes when I ask him questions about his religion, he doesn't know how to explain it, so we often look online for answers. One question that I have that I could not find an answer to is why do muslims shower with underwear on? When we shower together, he doesn't wear anything, but he says when he showers alone, he wears something. Explanation please?
A Muslim doesn't wear anything when he showers. And what's more is that Muslims aren't even allowed to have boyfriends or girlfriends. We marry instead to protect and preserve families and society.

جوري
01-13-2011, 11:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
A Muslim doesn't wear anything when he showers.

:haha: that is actually very funny.. come now tell her the truth we all go in iron clad with chastity belts..

:w:

Perseveranze
01-13-2011, 11:29 PM
Peace,

And this underwear showering is new to me... Not just in Islam, but in general.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
bamboozled
01-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Muslims dont wear underwear when showering, though they can if they want. I dont.

A bigger concern is in Islam girlfriend and boyfriend realationships are not allowed, if you really do in deed respect each others beliefs you should mention this to him gently and break up to prevent greater heart ache for your 'boyfriend' in this life and the next - if you really care about him I honestly think thats best for both of you.

God knows best.

Peace Sis

S.Belle
01-14-2011, 12:07 AM
wowsers...never heard of wearing anything to shower
but um as muslims its haraam (unlawful) to date.....maybe he was talking about a shower cap......

Abu_Isa
01-14-2011, 12:07 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by 'Abd-al Latif
A Muslim doesn't wear anything when he showers. And what's more is that Muslims aren't even allowed to have boyfriends or girlfriends. We marry instead to protect and preserve families and society.
The brother is correct... in both issues... we dont shower with clothes on... neither do we date... it is unlawful in Islam, we marry...

steph
01-14-2011, 04:45 AM
Hum, that's odd because he says its because of his religion that he showers with something on... He is from Sri Lanka and wears this skirt-type thing that wraps around his waist, and thats what he wears when he showers alone and also wears it to sleep with. Wow, so muslims aren't allowed to date? What will the repercussions be of his actions?

Ramadhan
01-14-2011, 02:56 PM
Hum, that's odd because he says its because of his religion that he showers with something on... He is from Sri Lanka and wears this skirt-type thing that wraps around his waist, and thats what he wears when he showers alone and also wears it to sleep with. Wow, so muslims aren't allowed to date? What will the repercussions be of his actions?

you sure he is muslim?
you don't confuse between muslim and hindu, do you?

Perseveranze
01-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Peace,

If he does claim himself to be a Muslim (someone who submits to the One True God), then that's not really a good way of showing it. As to "repercussions of his actions", well he'll only have to answer to his Creator when the time comes.

I would suggest that if you two were serious about each other, that for the sake of keeping faith and not falling into shirk(sin), you two got married.

S.Belle
01-14-2011, 05:00 PM
Wow, so muslims aren't allowed to date? What will the repercussions be of his actions?
No we are not allowed to date we marry the reason being that dating ususually involves sex and sex can lead to sexual transmitted disease, illegitamate children, etc. The punishment for having sex outside of marriage is 100 lashes for the male and female (but people are usually only punished like this in countries that are dominanted by muslims).

[Quran 24:2] The woman and the man guilty of adultery or fornication flog each of them with a hundred stripes: let not compassion move you in their case, in a matter prescribed by Allah, if you believe in Allah and the Last Day: and let a party of the Believers witness their punishment.

He should repent and the relationship you and him have is haraam so it would be better for him and you if it is ended.....sorries if that came across as harsh but its just the truth.

The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) warned us against being alone with a non-mahram woman, and said: “No man is alone with a woman but the shaytaan is the third one present.” [Narrated by Ahmad, al-Tirmidhi and al-Haakim; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’ (2546)].

ardianto
01-14-2011, 06:03 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
you sure he is muslim?
you don't confuse between muslim and hindu, do you?
Majority of Srilankan people are Buddhists, not Hindus.

I think he is a Muslim but not practicing Muslim.

gohar98
01-15-2011, 05:47 PM
first of all having a boyfriend or girlfriend is haraam in islam and secondly, noone baths while wearing anything.

Salafi1407
01-15-2011, 08:44 PM
I find it funny that he is cool with dating and having showers with someone else who he isn't married to, yet lord forbid when he is alone in the shower he gotta wear underwear!

Its crazy how far off we muslims are from our religion... I would say get your priorities straight but I think its more appropriate for the brother to learn his religion.

And my piece of advice is get married. As dating is completely forbidden in Islam, and it can lead to major sins. So if you really respect his religion, just get married to save him from the wrath of Allah.

Asiyah3
01-15-2011, 09:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Perseveranze
Peace,

I would suggest that if you two were serious about each other, that for the sake of keeping faith and not falling into shirk(sin), you two got married.
:sl:
Who told you she believes in Christianity? =/ or that she fulfills the other condition?

Nope, just end it.

Mr Fussy
01-15-2011, 10:01 PM

Maybe it's a Sri Lankan clutural tradition, Islam does not allow tradition or culture to be added.

Bid'ah - Innovation in Islam

Wa sharrul Umoori Muhdathaatuhaa, Wa kulla Bid'atin dhaialah, wa kulla dhalatin fin-naar" Al-Hadith (Sahih Muslim). Translation of the above Hadith: Every innovation is a misguidance and every misguidance goes to Hell fire.

nadia85
01-15-2011, 11:14 PM
wow never heard of that b4 but i di know bf/gf is a big no no in islam

steph
01-16-2011, 12:41 AM
Well thank you all for your input. Reminds me how thankful I am to live in America :)

Insaanah
01-16-2011, 09:08 PM
Well thank you all for your input. Reminds me how thankful I am to live in America
God sees us everywhere we are, including America.

It should make no difference where a Muslim lives, the practice of our faith or it's tenets don't change.

I wonder if your friend genuinely does not know that such relationships are completely forbidden in Islam, or whether he does know...

Have you told him that you have found out that what you're both doing is forbidden in Islam?

Would you (and/or your friend) be interested in learning more about the basic tenets of Islam?

May Allah guide you both, and us all.

Peace.

Ramadhan
01-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Hum, that's odd because he says its because of his religion that he showers with something on... He is from Sri Lanka and wears this skirt-type thing that wraps around his waist, and thats what he wears when he showers alone and also wears it to sleep with.
Pardon my skepticism, but I thoroughly doubt he is a muslim.
It sounds more like hindu, buddhist, pantheist, animist, or atheist practice.

Well thank you all for your input. Reminds me how thankful I am to live in America
Good for you.

For me, I am just so thankful that I am muslim, no matter where I live. And hopefully my abode in the hereafter will be better than the one on this world.

bamboozled
01-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Well thank you all for your input. Reminds me how thankful I am to live in America :)
I think you are missing the point sister.

Sometimes we might not always no whats best for us believe it or not.

I can give you an unrealted example. I was told that Muslims, according to an authentic hadith, cannot sleep on their stomach (Maybe someone can post the hadith quote but essentially the Prophet pbuh gently nugged someone awake in a mosque who was sleeping on the floor and told him that this was haram (forbidden) in Islam). Now I honestly remember thinking to myself that seems a little odd - why in the world would sleeping on ones stomach be a bad thing?

Then, years later, I stubbled accross a youtube video, which used TIMES magasine as its source (which I confirmed)and found the article about it, in the article Number one reason for developing a hunch back and severe back pains in old age is from sleeping on your stomach! Number ONE reason! Doctors only discovered that recently.This is a TIMES article, I am sure you will be able to find it. Complied by Non Muslims Doctors.

We dont always no whats best for is in the long run, we humans tend only to think about the NOW rather than the future.

Save yourself from heart ache. Think about it, how many of your dating friends have bad tales of their realationships breaking badly, not working, wasting time, being used for whatever (maybe sex) etc etc. Islam has the solutions to all the problems of this world and the next and whtether they are palatable to you or not, or go against your impuses, is irrelevant sister, because there is a indisputable long term logic. But people will never want whats best for them.

You at leasty have a duty to inform your 'boyfriend' that this is not islamically acceptable. maybe refer him to this thread, let him make an informed decision.

Peace Sis

elina
01-17-2011, 05:47 PM
hi steph, are you sure hes not pulling your leg about the underwear in the shower?

please take note of brother ruhul's advice.... i dated my husband for a few months, i was christian at the time....he agonised all the time that it was wrong, i ended up agonising that he was feeling like this....we got married and are both really happy now :)

Cabdullahi
01-17-2011, 08:54 PM
its a wind up thread....

even this guy takes his square pants off when showering

nature
01-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Steph,

I actually think this guys taking the mick (no offense). What hes telling you doesnt make sense. If hes definately muslim, then inform him what you've learnt here, and see how he responds.

highway4
01-19-2011, 08:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by elina
hi steph, are you sure hes not pulling your leg about the underwear in the shower?

please take note of brother ruhul's advice.... i dated my husband for a few months, i was christian at the time....he agonised all the time that it was wrong, i ended up agonising that he was feeling like this....we got married and are both really happy now :)
That was similar situation to me...Together me and my husband grew in faith and then i did my shahada (testimony of faith) in a masjid and our nikah at the sametime convinced Islam is the truth... Its amazing how Allah swt guides us...

Ansariyah
01-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Whats that got to do with the thread? :muddlehea

Hamza Asadullah
01-22-2011, 04:54 AM
Hello there Steph, your probably talking about a sarong. Sri lankan men wear it as it is their traditional dress especially when at home. He probably wears it to go into the bathroom and takes it off before having a shower. Whether he wears a sarong in the shower or not it has nothing to do with Islamic beliefs or practices but either it is tradition or his own personal habit. You must learn correct knowledge of Islam in order to differentiate between the two. If you have any questions then you are more than welcome to ask.

As many have already mentioned Islam does not allow any relations outside of marriage because the fact is that a relationship outside of marriage is not a true and proper committment to the person but a marriage is. Countless people get hurt everyday because of being used and abused in relationships outside marriage.

If you have any questions about Islam then please do not hesitate to ask as you will only ever gain clarity on any matter by researching yourself or asking questions in order to establish the correct answer.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!