/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Music and singing haraam? There are Muslims who would disagree.

Darth Ultor
01-14-2011, 01:16 AM
When Muhammad arrived in Madinah, the people sang Tala'al Badru Alayna, a very nice song, I must say. Muhammad certainly didn't have a problem with it from what I read on Wikipedia. Then you also have Muslim singers like Sami Yusuf, one of the only religious singers I like and Cat Stevens.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
01-14-2011, 01:19 AM
there's already been (multiple) threads about this.

When Muhammad arrived in Madinah, the people sang Tala'al Badru Alayna, a very nice song, I must say.
evidence?

Darth Ultor
01-14-2011, 01:23 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tala%27_al_Badru_%27Alayna

You can click on the citations.

Tyrion
01-14-2011, 01:27 AM
This topic has been covered many times before, and I doubt the mods will let it go on for too long... But the bottom line is that the majority on this board, as well as the majority of classical scholars hold musical instruments to be haram. This ruling appears to come mainly from a few Hadith that seem to indicate instruments as being forbidden. There does however exist a minority opinion which argues that music is allowed, and that the content is what matters. You won't find too many people holding this view on this forum, but it does exist. Personally, I feel like music is permissible based on comparing the arguments and evidences of both sides... Many Muslims I know also feel the same way, but like I said, this is technically the minority view.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
sabr*
01-14-2011, 01:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
This topic has been covered many times before, and I doubt the mods will let it go on for too long... But the bottom line is that the majority on this board, as well as the majority of scholars hold musical instruments to be haram. This ruling comes mainly from a few Hadith that seem to indicate instruments as being forbidden. There does however exist a minority opinion which argues that music is allowed, and that the content is what matters. You won't find too many people holding this view on this forum, but it does exist. Personally, I feel like music is permissible based on comparing the arguments and evidences of both sides... Many Muslims I know also feel the same way, but like I said, this is technically the minority view.
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Why! Why! Why!

Can we be creative and establish fresh threads that haven't been worn out?

Rules that apply to the rest of us:

http://www.islamicboard.com/faq.php?..._liforum_rules

So many threads on music just doesn't make sense to post them all:

http://www.islamicboard.com/advice-s...ic-lyrics.html

Attachment 4219

Ummu Sufyaan
01-15-2011, 09:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Boaz
i was thinking more along the lines of a hadith or even better (as us laymens dont really know what the ahadeeth mean) the saying of a reliable scholar.

i tried looking for somethign along those lines in the link, but couldn't find it. did i miss it?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!