/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Haraam to draw animals in Islam? Really?

SoulTraveller
01-19-2011, 12:10 PM
I read from islamqa.com/en/ref/39806/draw that drawing is a 'major sin' and that it is one that can land oneself in... that inferno...

Is this really true? I... I find it hard to believe.

I really love birds, I was actually thinking of making a comic about birds, but...

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hamza Asadullah
01-20-2011, 04:52 AM
I read from islamqa.com/en/ref/39806/draw that drawing is a 'major sin' and that it is one that can land oneself in... that inferno...

Is this really true? I... I find it hard to believe.

I really love birds, I was actually thinking of making a comic about birds, but...
Asalaamu Alaikum, jazakallahu khayran for your question. According to Sheikh Mufti Muhammad ibn Adam al-Kawthari on the issue of Drawing/Painting Pictures of Humans and Animals:

As it is common knowledge, there are countless Hadiths narrated from the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) that strictly prohibit painting pictures of animate objects, for example:

Sayyiduna Jabir (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) forbade the keeping of pictures at home and making them." (Sunan Tirmidhi, no: 1749)

Sayyiduna Abu Talha (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: "Angels (of mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture." (Sahih al-Bukhari, no: 5609)

Due to these and many other similar narrations, most classical scholars are of the opinion that painting and drawing pictures of humans and animals is unlawful and sinful. They state that 'picture-making' (taswir) of human or animal life has been explicitly forbidden by the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) and as such it will be sinful. Only Imam Malik (Allah have mercy on him) is reported to have differed with this position of general prohibition.

In one of his narrations, Sayyiduna Imam Malik (Allah have mercy on him), contrary to the other three Imams and most other Mujtahids, is reported to have stated that only those pictures are unlawful that are three-dimensional and have a body to them, such as statues and sculptures. A picture that does not have a body or shadow to it will not be unlawful although somewhat disliked, such as drawing a picture on a paper, cloth or on any other object. This is one of two positions narrated from Imam Malik, with his other position being similar to that of the vast majority of classical scholars.

The position of the vast majority of classical scholars is based on the fact that there is no distinction in the various Hadiths between a tangible and intangible picture. The Hadith indicating the permissibility of intangible and non-solid pictures refers to pictures of other than humans and animals. (See: al-Mugni, 7/7 & Takmila Fath al-Mulhim, 4/155)

Based on this, the reliable and mainstream opinion of the classical jurists is that picture-making is unlawful, whether by painting a picture on an object or making a sculpture. This is the position held by the three main Sunni Schools of Islamic law (i.e. Hanafi, Shafi'i & Hanbali) and also one of two positions related from Imam Malik (Allah have mercy on him). It would be better if one referred to a Maliki Scholar to determine the relied upon (mufta bihi) position of that School. As such, one should avoid drawing/ painting pictures of humans and animals.

Source:http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...D=9334&CATE=15
And Allah knows best in all matters

Amoeba
01-20-2011, 08:41 AM
I worry about this ruling especially since I do think it would turn a lot of would-be muslims away from islam, and it does come across as extremely harsh to someone who doesn't know yet why is needs to be forbidden, especially since the reason isn't actually all that clear. It almost caught me out, almost, as I was only very recently converted and drawing animals was my top skill, hobby and therapy. There's literally nothing else that I'm good at. And I'm not alone in that, it's a very common ability that many people will be unwilling to let go of simply because of how much of a grip it can take on you and how much time people invest into it, especially if you were into it from a very young age.

There are a lot of people who think it is absolutely crazy and absurd that you can't draw animals and that alone makes them think that islam is crazy and absurd when in fact there are some very good reasons for it, reasons they wouldn't accept in such an emotionally heightened state of fear of letting go of their favourite thing in the world - drawing. Drawing inanimate objects or landscapes will never compare to drawing animates, unfortunately, because drawing animals and humans is like a drug addiction and I believe it needs to be treated as such, since there are very real psychological withdrawal symptoms and a high risk of relapse for the skilled and dedicated artist. Letting go of drawing requires a timely healing process, and doesn't just happen overnight. For a skilled artist who hasn't yet accepted islam that is a very scary concept.

How can it be made easier for people who's main love, or even career, is to draw humans and animals? It's not as simple as replacing that love for Allah straight away, since they lack the motive to do so being non-muslim. That would have to come after a transition process. I'm talking about specific people that I know, actually. The hadeeths I read about the consequences of drawing animals struck enough fear into me that I couldn't go back to drawing even if I wanted to, but I'm speaking for someone who isn't yet sure about islam and may not have that fear of Allah yet but may potentially want to accept it. How could it be made easier for them so that they can stop drawing as quickly as possible without feeling like it's too much for them to handle?

Tyrion
01-20-2011, 09:01 AM
As far as I know, theres a difference of opinion here. (Well, not here... The other members of this forum tend to hold the view that it's totally and completely haram... From what I've seen anyway) Read the Ahadith that cover this, and see what makes sense to you.

I personally think it makes more sense that the references in Hadith literature to "image makers" are referring to those in the time of the Prophet (pbuh) who made polytheistic images/idols to be worshiped, and I've heard many opinions that hold this view. One of the main reasons given against drawing is that it shows that you are competing with the creation of God, but I think most artists can tell you that this simply isn't true... And honestly, the amount of punishment that is said to be given to those who create these images seems far too harsh if its seen as just normal drawings... I really think it makes a lot more sense to view those Hadith within the context of the times, and the polytheistic nature of that particular society. Don't take my word for it though, read some scholarly works if you like. :p .

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tigerkhan
01-20-2011, 10:32 AM
what i blv in this regard, we need to strength our eman. bcz in my teen i was addicted to music and songs badly. blv i think i was only alive on it. this addiction make me suspicious about islam that time. i remember once i was reading new-paper. its written that on eid day Prophet PBUH and Abubakar RA was going somewhere. in the way they see some children singing poems and songs. Abubakar Ra stopped them but Prophet PBUH said to Abubakar Ra, dont stop them bcz today is eid day. i dont know whether this hadith was authentic or not but at that time i satisfied myself that music is allowed in islam. bcz islam is deen fitrat and its human nature he like music and cant live without music. But alhumdullaih after my changing toward islamic life, i got rid of this. i never feel some difficulty by this addiction. so its matter of eman. when ur eman will be strong, islam will be esay for u, but if its weak we serach excuses for our bad deeds.

2ndly as far as reverts are concered. i just want to mentioned that i heard Aysha RA said that in time of Prophet PBUH, people are used to drink. so when islam came ALLAH SWt didnot make it haram at once. but after they move to madina and bcm much and mcuh strong in eman, then first ALLAH SWT says its bad thing, so ppl with strong eman leave this. i think in third wahi (aya) Allah SWT says its now haram. so nature of islam is not to implement things by force but its by the way of strengthing ur eman and ability to act upon islam and make sacrifice for it. i heard that Suhaba Ra didnot learn that much that they cant act uopn. they first act on what they had with them, then go for next. so i heard Ibn Umar Ra had learned surah buqra in many years.

allah SWT knows the best.
JAzakallah.

Amat Allah
01-20-2011, 12:01 PM
In Sahih Al Bukhari:

Volume 3, Book 34, Number 318:
Narrated Aisha:

(mother of the faithful believers) I bought a cushion with pictures on it. When Allah's Apostle saw it, he kept standing at the door and did not enter the house. I noticed the sign of disgust on his face, so I said, "O Allah's Apostle! I repent to Allah and H is Apostle . (Please let me know) what sin I have done." Allah's Apostle said, "What about this cushion?" I replied, "I bought it for you to sit and recline on." Allah's Apostle said, "The painters (i.e. owners) of these pictures will be punished on the Day of Resurrection. It will be said to them, 'Put life in what you have created (i.e. painted).' " The Prophet added, "The angels do not enter a house where there are pictures."

.................................................. .................................................. ............

I used to draw animated things long ago but Alhamdulilah that Allah helped me and made me gather them all and burn them before being told to put life in them, I really got scared and thought " are they more precious than I ? , I don`t want hellfire and I am seeking the pleasure of Allah and those worldly pics are so paltry and they are temporary pleasures and happiness; then how to make them deprive me from the endless happiness and drag me to hell? they are really not worthy...

And Allah tests us in most precious and loved things to us and we should never ever replace any part of Allah`s love in our hearts with our humanist desires and worldly pleasures which are nothing to Al Jannah and of course nothing in compare to that time; when we stand before Allah The Exalted to see His Al Mighty Face ...Ameeeeen

When you give up something for Allah`s sake; I swear you will get not one thing but many; better than it, away better than it and will forget that thing you left for Allah`s sake and think how silly you were being addicted to it...you may suffer in the begining but later wallahi your heart will be filled with true happiness and satisfaction and would never care of this Dunya...Alhamdulillah...

I gave up my addiction of drawing animated things and started drawing in another simple way which Allah blesed me with and Allah gave me so much and still giving me and May Allah never stop giving me and all of you in this life and in the Hereafter and all the Ummah Ameeeen

Humbly, this is how I draw now:

http://www.islamicboard.com/creative...y-drawing.html

And believe me your ability in drawing is beyond what you are thinking ; its not tied to animated things but more creative and beautiful just sail through the ocean of your imagination and you will find what will amaze you in shaa Allah...trust Allah and you will never fail...

May Allah love you all, be with you and be pleased with you...Ameeeeeeeeeeen

love you for Allah`s sake O sons of my Ummah...

Ummu Sufyaan
01-20-2011, 01:17 PM
i think the best drawings are of landscapes. drawing of other objects such as fruit, etc are also good. but landscapes when painted/drawn well are a delight to look at, especially since there are so many angles and elements involved such as season, object, angle color...all these elements really help to uplift the image of the painted/drawn landscape.

why dont you explore your other horizons within your artistic scope. you never know, you could find that you are better and enjoy at something else then birds.

Hamza Asadullah
01-21-2011, 05:51 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Amoeba
I worry about this ruling especially since I do think it would turn a lot of would-be muslims away from islam, and it does come across as extremely harsh to someone who doesn't know yet why is needs to be forbidden, especially since the reason isn't actually all that clear. It almost caught me out, almost, as I was only very recently converted and drawing animals was my top skill, hobby and therapy. There's literally nothing else that I'm good at. And I'm not alone in that, it's a very common ability that many people will be unwilling to let go of simply because of how much of a grip it can take on you and how much time people invest into it, especially if you were into it from a very young age.

There are a lot of people who think it is absolutely crazy and absurd that you can't draw animals and that alone makes them think that islam is crazy and absurd when in fact there are some very good reasons for it, reasons they wouldn't accept in such an emotionally heightened state of fear of letting go of their favourite thing in the world - drawing. Drawing inanimate objects or landscapes will never compare to drawing animates, unfortunately, because drawing animals and humans is like a drug addiction and I believe it needs to be treated as such, since there are very real psychological withdrawal symptoms and a high risk of relapse for the skilled and dedicated artist. Letting go of drawing requires a timely healing process, and doesn't just happen overnight. For a skilled artist who hasn't yet accepted islam that is a very scary concept.

How can it be made easier for people who's main love, or even career, is to draw humans and animals? It's not as simple as replacing that love for Allah straight away, since they lack the motive to do so being non-muslim. That would have to come after a transition process. I'm talking about specific people that I know, actually. The hadeeths I read about the consequences of drawing animals struck enough fear into me that I couldn't go back to drawing even if I wanted to, but I'm speaking for someone who isn't yet sure about islam and may not have that fear of Allah yet but may potentially want to accept it. How could it be made easier for them so that they can stop drawing as quickly as possible without feeling like it's too much for them to handle?
Asalaamu Alaikum, my sister what we have to understand is that when a person goes towards the right path which Allah has guided them towards, then on the way they happily have leave things which are forbidden because they never found any peace in them as much as they did with remembering and worshipping Allah.

There are many reverts who came from the music industry and in many types of haraam lifestyles before they came to Islam but when Allah gave them guidance they left behind the haraam life and happily entered Islam doing whatever they can to please Allah thereafter. they searched for their peace in what they did before Islam but they never found it. So why would'nt they want to give up what did not give them what they were searching for? Sacrifices have to be made and some do wheen themselves off quicker than others that depends on the person.

Read the stories of other reverts and you will see how many of them happily came out of lives of vice and sin and entered into Islam and found the peace they were looking for. EVERYONE is loking for this peace but not everyone looks in the right places. Once a person finds this peace they will NEVER look back again. This peace can ONLY be found in the remembrance of Allah. This peace and satisfaction overrrides anything else a person may have done in their lives.

But people will revert when they are ready. Some take years, months, days and even seconds. Everyone is different but once a person has been given guidance then they will leave ANYTHING for Allah for it would not matter to them anymore. All that would matter to them would be to worship their creator and please him in everyway possible.

It is knowledge that will bring clarity on all matters so once a person gains the correct knolwedge then everything will make sense to them but for reverts this is a gradual process and not an overnight one. Allah gives understanding to whom he likes but a perso has to open their hearts and not be ignorant.

Once a person feels the peace and blessings from the worship of Allah then they will leave ANYTHING which displeases Allah and spend everyday doing everything that pleases him.

Hamza Asadullah
01-21-2011, 06:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
As far as I know, theres a difference of opinion here. (Well, not here... The other members of this forum tend to hold the view that it's totally and completely haram... From what I've seen anyway) Read the Ahadith that cover this, and see what makes sense to you.

I personally think it makes more sense that the references in Hadith literature to "image makers" are referring to those in the time of the Prophet (pbuh) who made polytheistic images/idols to be worshiped, and I've heard many opinions that hold this view. One of the main reasons given against drawing is that it shows that you are competing with the creation of God, but I think most artists can tell you that this simply isn't true... And honestly, the amount of punishment that is said to be given to those who create these images seems far too harsh if its seen as just normal drawings... I really think it makes a lot more sense to view those Hadith within the context of the times, and the polytheistic nature of that particular society. Don't take my word for it though, read some scholarly works if you like. :p .
Asalaamu Alaikum, with regards to drawing animate objects then the majority of opinions of scholars from what they deduced from Qur'an and Sunnah state that it is totally forbidden.

Brother we should not have this attitude that whatever is ordained upon us only applies to the past or in the times it was revealed. These rules will be applied and are relevant until the end of time. Islam is a dynamic way of life and is relevant until the end of times. If you have any difficulty in understanding any ruling or aspect of Islam then research into it properly before making your conclusion about it.

You mentioned it was relevant in those times because of the polytheistic nature of those societies but what about todays societies? We even have aspects of polythiesm even within Muslims. In the Indian sub continent you will see Muslims making paintings and pictures of peers and Awliya's (Saints) and hang them up and give offerings of food and other things to the pictures. They even make dua to the pictures asking for help etc. This is exactly why Islam prevents the making of any animate images because of the fact that they end up being worshipped in some form or another if not by first generation then generations afterwards.

So you will see aspects of polytheism within Muslims because of the fact that they are making pictures of saints and then when they see such images they bow their heads in respect and the next thing they will make dua to them asking them for help etc and then you will see them make offerings.

That is also how polytheism started in Hinduism as well because Veda's which is the main book for Hindus actually promotes monotheim and talks about one god but because Hindus started making images and statues it turned into polytheism.

Same with Sikhism where the images of the Guru's were made and Sikhs now bow to the images and pay their respect and even ask of the images of the Guru's.

The same with Christianity where they made images of the cross and Jesus (AS) when Jesus forbade the making of any images and then Constantine changed this and Christianity became polytheistetic.

The same with Buddhism where Sidartha Gautama who may have even of been a prophet started being worshipped after his images and idols of him was built but he never claimed that he was God but they worship his statues today. The same with many other religions and faiths in the past thousands of years and including this very day.

The very reason being because of the fact that the people started making images and idols and subsequantley the following generations started worshipping those images and idols. Why do you think it is forbidden for us to make any image of the Prophet? For this very reason because images end up being worshipped in some for or another.

[And the people of Moses made in his absence, out of their ornaments, the image of a calf (for worship). It had a sound (as if it was mooing). Did they not see that it could neither speak to them nor guide them to the way? They took it for worship and they were Zalimun (wrong-doers). The Noble Qur'an - Al-A'raf 7:148

Animals have been worshipped for centuries by many civilisations. Even until this day animals are worshipped by people who create their images. I hope you have a better understanding now of why Islam does not permit one making any images of animate beings.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!