/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Praying Towards A Sutrah?

questions123
01-26-2011, 02:45 PM
I just read some information about having a Sutrah when praying.

If i was praying towards a wall in a room, my prayer mat was mos tly facing towards the wall but one corner of it was facing at my door entrance (and the door was opened), if my mum and other people walked past outside the room, would beSalah be invalidated, as some of my prayer mat wasn't facing towards my wall (Sutrah).

Also, i don't understand, in the Mosque and many other places, no one places a Sutrah infront of them, and people walk infrong people praying, but just not in the area where they are prostrating, but just the row directly infront.

Thank you.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
01-26-2011, 03:27 PM
the wall is sufficient as your sutrah, even if other people walked past outside your room.

In the mosque, where normally there's rows of praying mats, the front edge of the praying mats/carpets is sufficient as sutrah.

and in the shalah jamaah, the sutrah is the imam's sutrah, so people are allowed to walked between the rows if need be (such as in the event to fill in empty spaces or when to do wudoo again if one's wudoo is invalidated during prayer).

questions123
01-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the reply :).

SlaveOfGod
01-31-2011, 02:51 AM
:sl:

If someone walks infront of you during prayer, do you lose reward or does your salah become invalidated? I've always thought it was the former. Allah knows best.

:wa:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
questions123
02-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Hi, what is the size a Sutrah has to be (height and width)?.

Thanks.

Ramadhan
02-27-2011, 11:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by
If someone walks infront of you during prayer, do you lose reward or does your salah become invalidated? I've always thought it was the former. Allah knows best.
If someone was going to walk directly pass in front of you (inside sutrah) while you are praying, then you need to stop that person using one hand. Sutrah serves to keep our focus on shalah (khusoo'). But remember, praying without sutrah is still valid.
When someone walks in front of you during shalah, then you may lose your khusoo' and hence your rewards is reduced.

format_quote Originally Posted by
Hi, what is the size a Sutrah has to be (height and width)?.
sutrah is sunnah muakkad, not obligatory, and anything of shapes or sizes can be your sutrah, even a a man who is sitting down in front of you. The idea behind sutrah is that you should refrain from looking beyond the sutrah, and focus properly so that your mind will not wander; it is also to prevent others committing sin by passing directly in front of you.

$tranger
02-27-2011, 11:21 AM
just as a side point - the Salah isn't invalidated in a female walks in-front of you

the correct scholarly opinion: an adult woman, a black dog and a donkey. This is what is narrated from the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him), that he said: “Three things interrupt a man’s prayer [by passing in front of him] if he does not have in front of him something the height of the back of a saddle: a woman, a donkey and a black dog.” It was said: O Messenger of Allah, why black and not red or yellow? He said: “The black dog is a devil.”
http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/147415

questions123
02-27-2011, 07:04 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar

sutrah is sunnah muakkad, not obligatory, and anything of shapes or sizes can be your sutrah, even a a man who is sitting down in front of you. The idea behind sutrah is that you should refrain from looking beyond the sutrah, and focus properly so that your mind will not wander; it is also to prevent others committing sin by passing directly in front of you.

I read somewhere that Sutrah has to be atleast the height of the back of a camels saddel, in another place i read it has to be the height of 2 forearms, and in other it said it has to be the height of 1 forearm.
I'm confused about what size it has to be?
Can we just use anything as a sutrah?

Thank You.

ardianto
02-28-2011, 01:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by questions123
I read somewhere that Sutrah has to be atleast the height of the back of a camels saddel, in another place i read it has to be the height of 2 forearms, and in other it said it has to be the height of 1 forearm.
I'm confused about what size it has to be?
Can we just use anything as a sutrah?

Thank You.

There is no standard size of sutrah, and we can use anything as it. The function of sutrah is for inform people our private area during salah where people are not allowed to pass on it.

--------------------------

And this is what we must do if someone walks between us and our sutrah

questions123
02-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Okay :).

JazakAllah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!