PDA

View Full Version : Muslim sense of humour



Thinker
01-28-2011, 03:50 PM
I posted a link to a funny video on youtube. I use the word funny because others viewing the clip had describe it as funny (amusing) and I thought it was funny. I think one viewer had made reference to this clip being of the Monty Python Life of Brian ilk i.e. that type of humour. I posted it here because it was about a Muslim and this is a Muslim forum. As far as I could see, the video doesn’t defame the name of God, Muhammad or anything else that some times sparks off Muslim sensitivities it essential poked fun at a Muslim individual. The thread appeared then disappeared and so I must presume that someone thought it was not appropriate. I know that we (British) are said to have a certain sense of humour not always shared by some others but is that also the case with Muslims? Or is Islam so pious that levity is not allowed?
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Perseveranze
01-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Peace,

There are also "British" Muslims... I don't get why people say it like that ("we british" like Muslims aren't British), "have you tried muslim food before???", like... We come in all shapes, sizes and colors.

I think this is your problem right there mate.
Reply

aamirsaab
01-28-2011, 06:07 PM
If you knew me in person, you'd know that I have four lions on DVD.

:D
Reply

GuestFellow
01-28-2011, 06:46 PM
Get over it.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
aadil77
01-28-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by Thinker
I posted a link to a funny video on youtube. I use the word funny because others viewing the clip had describe it as funny (amusing) and I thought it was funny. I think one viewer had made reference to this clip being of the Monty Python Life of Brian ilk i.e. that type of humour. I posted it here because it was about a Muslim and this is a Muslim forum. As far as I could see, the video doesn’t defame the name of God, Muhammad or anything else that some times sparks off Muslim sensitivities it essential poked fun at a Muslim individual. The thread appeared then disappeared and so I must presume that someone thought it was not appropriate. I know that we (British) are said to have a certain sense of humour not always shared by some others but is that also the case with Muslims? Or is Islam so pious that levity is not allowed?
pm me the link I'd like to see it before I say anythin

meanwhile you can have a laugh at this http://www.islamicboard.com/puzzles-...ion-guide.html

and yes we do have a sense of humour, I'd safely say all my muslim mates have a laugh more often than my non-muslim mates
Reply

czgibson
01-28-2011, 07:22 PM
Greetings,
Originally Posted by aamirsaab
If you knew me in person, you'd know that I have four lions on DVD.

:D
I watched that for the first time the other day and wondered if anybody here had seen it, so you've answered my question - thanks!

It's a very particular kind of comedy in that film. Suicide bombing is a typically sensitive subject for Chris Morris to take on as a vehicle for humour, and I thought the tragedy overwhelmed the laughs overall. I thought it was a good film, though. I was able to recognise lots of details about Muslim life and beliefs that I've learned about from this forum, and perhaps details like this are what have led lots of commentators to talk about how well-researched it appears to be. Would you agree with that opinion?

Peace
Reply

glo
01-28-2011, 07:54 PM
CZ, I watched Four Lions on DVD, and I have yet to decide what I think about it.

Like you, I thought the tragedy overshadowed the comedy. By the end I had warmed to the characters so much that I was quite upset at their demise.
Reply

Cabdullahi
01-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by glo
CZ, I watched Four Lions on DVD, and I have yet to decide what I think about it.

Like you, I thought the tragedy overshadowed the comedy. By the end I had warmed to the characters so much that I was quite upset at their demise.
i was thinking of watching it....but nah

the notion that sticks after viewing this movie is muslim = terrorist
Reply

glo
01-28-2011, 08:11 PM
I don't think so, Abdullahii.

I thought the message was more terrorist = stupid (and dangerous!) fool
Reply

Thinker
01-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi

I am not sure we're talking about the same vid. The clip I posted was a short vid titled (unused scene) which I thought was a short comedy spoof. It may be that there was/is a longer version (?) which I haven't seen which may put things in a different light?
Reply

glo
01-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Here is some info on Four Lions, Thinker.
Reply

Cabdullahi
01-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Originally Posted by glo
I don't think so, Abdullahii.

I thought the message was more terrorist = stupid (and dangerous!) fool
terrorist = stupid = muslim

terrorists are stupid and they are also muslims.
Reply

Dagless
01-28-2011, 08:30 PM
Since Muslims are diverse, their humour is diverse. I don't think there is "Muslim humour" any more than there's "Hindu humour".

Originally Posted by glo
I don't think so, Abdullahii.

I thought the message was more terrorist = stupid (and dangerous!) fool
Originally Posted by Abdullahii
terrorist = stupid = muslim

terrorists are stupid and they are also muslims.

That's the reason I didn't like it either. I think for satire to work people should be aware of the truth; since this is how the news portrays terrorists anyway it probably just perpetuated the myth amongst most... albeit in a slightly comedic way :p
Reply

Thinker
01-28-2011, 08:31 PM
A lot of British comedy is about poking fun at ourselves, identifying things we do and making them look silly. The main source of comdey in this video was a guy with a box on his head because he said it was haram to film his image. That's what I meant by 'British' humour.
Reply

glo
01-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by Abdullahii
terrorist = stupid = muslim
That doesn't follow, Abdullahii. Not all terrorists are Muslims and not all Muslims are terrorists, as we all know!

Don't go paranoid on me, young brother. 124 1 -
Reply

czgibson
01-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Greetings,

Originally Posted by Abdullahii
i was thinking of watching it....but nah

the notion that sticks after viewing this movie is muslim = terrorist
How do you know that if you haven't seen it?

Like glo said, the main message I picked up from the film is terrorist = stupid. There is also another message in it: Muslim = human being.

Originally Posted by Thinker
I am not sure we're talking about the same vid.
You are right. Aamirsaab brought up the film Four Lions as an easy way of showing a sense of humour (although he writes funny stuff in his posts all the time, so that's already enough evidence!).

It's difficult to comment on the video you posted without having seen it.

Peace
Reply

Thinker
01-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by glo
Here is some info on Four Lions, Thinker.
Thanks. It seems clear that the link I posted was to a short (funny IMHO) 'out-take' of a larger film which I haven't seen.
Reply

Asiyah3
01-28-2011, 10:28 PM
Originally Posted by Abdullahii
the notion that sticks after viewing this movie is muslim = terrorist
Exactly. I agree. And I saw the vid, unfortunately.
Reply

Cabdullahi
01-29-2011, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,



How do you know that if you haven't seen it?
I visualized it in my mind when i was asleep..............I watched snippets and extended trailers.


Originally Posted by czgibson

Like glo said, the main message I picked up from the film is terrorist = stupid. There is also another message in it: Muslim = human being.


The average jane and the average joe wont make that distinction, certainly not when they read the sun and watch the sky.

i would like to see a comedy film made about four stupid men who are black trying to conduct a bank robbery

or four stupid men who are jews, trying to do fraud.
Reply

aamirsaab
01-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by czgibson
Greetings,


I watched that for the first time the other day and wondered if anybody here had seen it, so you've answered my question - thanks!

It's a very particular kind of comedy in that film. Suicide bombing is a typically sensitive subject for Chris Morris to take on as a vehicle for humour, and I thought the tragedy overwhelmed the laughs overall. I thought it was a good film, though. I was able to recognise lots of details about Muslim life and beliefs that I've learned about from this forum, and perhaps details like this are what have led lots of commentators to talk about how well-researched it appears to be. Would you agree with that opinion?

Peace
Indeed I do agree, it was very well researched - especially considering the writing team were all non-muslim too. As a muslim, I found it absolutely hilarious. In particular, the characters of Barry and Faizal are very true to real life in terms of their portrayal and character archetype. The real heart of the film however, is Waj. He might be a complete retard (and undeniably THE funniest thing about the entire film ["effed up rabbit with no ears" and "rubber dinghy rapids"), but at the end of it even he thinks their overall objective is wrong.

To any critics: The film is about 4 failed terrorists. It shows you that they don't have a strong reason for their objective; it shows you quite clearly it is wrong and stupid and anything BUT martyrdom. But, it does actually show you them attempt their objective and then subsequently fail because they aren't that smart or good at what they do. The only one that is has no reason to carry out the mission in the first place (he has a steady job, a wife and child AND home...) which gives some informative insight into their psyche.

It's not about glorification, in fact the only character that actually wants to go through with their mission is Barry - and the film gives audience plenty of time and evidence to show you he is quite clearly a "nutter" Muslim.

If you don't like the sense of humour, that's fine, but at least have the courtesy of watching the film before you criticise it.
Reply

Thinker
01-29-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by aamirsaab
As a muslim, I found it absolutely hilarious.
There you go - I told you it was funny. And, I would to add again that the link I posted was to a small take-out clip which just showed one funny section.
Reply

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-29-2011, 10:08 PM
Greetings of peace and salaam

As far as im aware the vid that was posted on the "funny" thread was this :

Apologies for having the link posted again, i disagree with the whole finding that clip something to laugh about, reason because they are mocking the teaching of Islaam, it is clearly shown in the video. For example they`re,using bad language, since images are haraam in Islaam when that is true, but presenting t in such a way, you can see the sarcasm in the video which in other words is making fun, are you seriously thinking people wont get offended by that vid esp muslims? And since Islaam forbids images in certain ways, are you really thinking the "muslims" will take that serious? All they have is something to laugh about regarding their faith. And again what benefit is there to laugh about something that is to be taken seriously? And how exactly is the ummah benefiting from this?

Yes, we muslims have a sense of humour, but there are limits to when/how the deen isnt presented as it should be but rather in a sarcastic way as shown in the clip. Even the Prophet sallahu alaayhi wa salam forbade laughing too much as it deadens the heart, weakens emaan etc.


I am not trying to be harsh and forgive me if it has seemed as such. insha`Allaah i hope someone makes it a little more clear than i did.

peace
Reply

aamirsaab
01-29-2011, 10:19 PM
^ sis you miss the entire point of that scene. The real issue is he's a "terrorist", who has no problem blowing up his own home grown crows, but out of all things he takes issue with his face being shown on a camera ---> that's the part where you roll on the floor laughing at the absurdity of his thought process.

It's not taking the mick out of Islam or Islamic principles; it's taking the mick out of certain people, who happen to call themselves muslims, that have those attitudes regarding Islam and Islamic principles.

Plus, he's trying to be threatening with a cardboard box on his head. Which is worth rolling on the floor and laughing.
Reply

Thinker
01-29-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by Pєαяℓ σf Wιѕ∂σм
i disagree with the whole finding that clip something to laugh about,
If you look at what we find funny – if you analyse comedy / comedians and look at what they say / do that makes them funny it comes down to jokes about stuff which is taboo and everyday stuff we do which can be shown to be silly. For example Peter Kay (very funny) just stands there and talks about eating garlic bread – “garlic and bread” i.e. he is making fun out of us eating ridiculous things like garlic and bread. Poking fun at ourselves is an aspect of British comedy which (I am told) is not shared by (for example) Americans. The vid clip here is poking fun and is funny, if it doesn’t make you laugh you need to ask yourself some questions!
Reply

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-29-2011, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by aamirsaab
^ sis you miss the entire point of that scene. The real issue is he's a "terrorist", who has no problem blowing up his own home grown crows, but out of all things he takes issue with his face being shown on a camera ---> that's the part where you roll on the floor laughing at the absurdity of his thought process.

It's not taking the mick out of Islam or Islamic principles; it's taking the mick out of certain people, who happen to call themselves muslims, that have those attitudes regarding Islam and Islamic principles.
There is indeed no point im missing out of the whole movie. Are you saying these people are not one those who happen to call themselves muslims that have those attitudes regarding Islam and Islamic principles?

You mentioned in one of your posts how the writers of the movie are not muslims, so exactly who are they to know about muslims who happen to call themselves muslims?

The fact is the movie has bad language, acting stupid, as you mentioned a failed attempt of commiting suicide/bombing, what is there to benefit from that? just something to laugh about and also has no benefit to one, then Islamically this is considered as a waste of time.
Reply

Muezzin
01-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Kinda getting the feeling that a lot of people offended by this film haven't actually seen it.

The thing is, this site isn't about movies as such, so if the discussion carries on in that direction and becomes just a discussion of a film, the thread would probably be closed.

However, this thread has also started a fascinating discussion about the Muslim sense of humour, which I think has pretty good comic potential as a satire of the often absurd things people choose to debate about, but that's just me.

Originally Posted by Pearl of Wisdom
The fact is the movie has bad language, acting stupid, as you mentioned a failed attempt of commiting suicide/bombing, what is there to benefit from that? just something to laugh about and also has no benefit to one, then Islamically this is considered as a waste of time.
Difficult to answer this without launching into a movie review, but I'll paraphrase Fritz Leiber:

Sometimes the best way to really teach somebody is to get them laughing so hard they don't notice the lesson.
Reply

M.I.A.
01-29-2011, 10:54 PM
i remember the bit about eating newspaper which i thought was very funny at the time, also made me think that the actual comedy was written by someone with knowledge of islam and its ways.

on the whole that guy kayvan novak is very talented and riz ahmed is cool also.. worth a watch.
Reply

GuestFellow
01-29-2011, 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by Pєαяℓ σf Wιѕ∂σм

As far as im aware the vid that was posted on the "funny" thread was this :
:sl:

That was the video? I didn't find it offensive...nor did I find it funny. It was rather boring. I rather see terrorists get portrayed like this than compared to dangerous individuals.
Reply

Muezzin
01-29-2011, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Guestfellow
:sl:

That was the video? I didn't find it offensive...nor did I find it funny. It was rather boring. I rather see terrorists get portrayed like this than compared to dangerous individuals.
Exactly! Precisely! Most accurate! Everybody in the thread is in agreement!
Reply

aadil77
01-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by Pєαяℓ σf Wιѕ∂σм
Greetings of peace and salaam

As far as im aware the vid that was posted on the "funny" thread was this :



peace

;D;D;D


sorry but that was hilarious :embarrass (mind the language)
Reply

purple
01-29-2011, 11:44 PM
:sl:

Personally, the sense of humour is not my taste; however I am not offended by video either.
:wa:
Reply

Tyrion
01-29-2011, 11:55 PM
I can't believe I've never heard of this movie before... I typically find myself enjoying British humor (and the clip was pretty funny), so I'll most likely check this out when I get the chance. :p

@Thinker: Us Muslims are still human, so yeah, we do (and are allowed to) have a sense of humor... I suppose I can see how a question like this would arise though, as there are definitely some overzealous Muslims out there who give others the wrong impression... (just as there are overzealous members of any faith who seem to discourage the concept of fun or comedy...)


Originally Posted by Pєαяℓ σf Wιѕ∂σм
The fact is the movie has bad language, acting stupid, as you mentioned a failed attempt of commiting suicide/bombing, what is there to benefit from that? just something to laugh about and also has no benefit to one, then Islamically this is considered as a waste of time.
Surely you don't actually believe this? By that logic, almost everything we do is a waste of time that should be discouraged... Reading a book, talking to a friend, etc... Lighten up a bit. :p
Reply

Ğħαrєєвαħ
01-30-2011, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by Tyrion

Surely you don't actually believe this? By that logic, almost everything we do is a waste of time that should be discouraged... Reading a book, talking to a friend, etc... Lighten up a bit. :p
Assalaamu`Alaaykum brother

Surely i do, or else i wouldnt have posted it! Surely what you said is true, surely are we not required to "try" not to waste time?
Or are we going to sit and say "well, im wasting time already, so then what is wrong in continuing to do so".

I was speaking about it in general!

Are we not as muslims required to speak when there is something that is bad for someone?

However, i may have not seen the movie, so i will end this discussion right this very moment. But there are scenes that are quite worthless! but i wont post them as i feel they are not appropriate.

but please do not tell me to lighten up, i am Alhamdulilaah well and i am aware of what i say. but apologies if it seemed as if i offended anyone or anything.sorry. As i have spoken without watching the movie, so maybe that is regarded as speaking without knowledge. may Allaah forgive me and grant all the members of this forum happiness in this life and the hereafter and guide those who are not on the path of siraat al mustaqeen Ameen

peace
Reply

LauraS
02-01-2011, 03:15 PM
What about this? XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-Ge8...eature=related
Reply

GuestFellow
02-01-2011, 05:14 PM
^ That was funny.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
HeartHijab.com | Hijab Sale | Pound Shop | UK Wholesale Certified Face Masks, Hand Sanitiser & PPE

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!