/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mixing madhabs

Argamemnon
02-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Selam,

I'm hanefi but I find myself 'agreeing' (if that's at all possible because who am I) with certain Shafii and Maliki positions; for example regarding kazaa namaz/salat but many other issues as well. Is it bad to mix certain positions of the four madhabs, do any of you do this? Be honest :D

:w:

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
02-05-2011, 11:05 PM
Do not pick and chose what you like from the Madhabs. Stick with one and follow it. It makes no difference which one. But do not try to simplify things by picking what you like from the other 3. It is good to learn about each of the 4 madhabs, but choose just one to follow. For most of us this will mean following the Madhab of the Imam of the Masjid we attend most often.

I changed my source to a better one. I did not realize Keller was Sufi and his reasoning may not be in agreement with all.

Better yet go to this thread:

http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...an-sunnah.html

Argamemnon
02-05-2011, 11:11 PM
OK then, I will continue to stick to Hanefi fiqh then. Thanks brother Woodrow, it makes sense.

Salahudeen
02-05-2011, 11:30 PM
It is said that if you pick and choose from the madhabs then you would be following your desires, however all the 4 madhabs are correct and each opinion has evidence for it's position. But what I wonder is, if all the madhabs are correct and each opinion has evidence for it then why can you not follow the opinion that you want to follow if they are all correct. This is what confuses me, yes it would be following your desires but they are all correct opinions anyway, based upon evidence :s can some 1 explain.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Ibn Abi Ahmed
02-05-2011, 11:38 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Argamemnon
Selam,

I'm hanefi but I find myself 'agreeing' (if that's at all possible because who am I) with certain Shafii and Maliki positions; for example regarding kazaa namaz/salat but many other issues as well. Is it bad to mix certain positions of the four madhabs, do any of you do this? Be honest :D

If you're agreeing with one or a few positions from a different madhab based upon understanding of the evidence, then that's not a problem. You don't have to stick to one madhab because this isn't obligatory upon anyone. However, it is better and advisable to choose a madhab and follow it and this is what the scholars recommend because it makes life easier for us lay people. But you are not blameworthy if you take an opinion from a different madhab based upon understanding and not seeking lenience.

Check these:

http://www.suhaibwebb.com/islam-stud...nd-negligence/
http://www.suhaibwebb.com/islam-stud...nnah%E2%80%9D/

Woodrow
02-05-2011, 11:45 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
It is said that if you pick and choose from the madhabs then you would be following your desires, however all the 4 madhabs are correct and each opinion has evidence for it's position. But what I wonder is, if all the madhabs are correct and each opinion has evidence for it then why can you not follow the opinion that you want to follow if they are all correct. This is what confuses me, yes it would be following your desires but they are all correct opinions anyway, based upon evidence :s can some 1 explain.
Perhaps an analogy would help:

You have four roads leading from city a to city b. each road will get you to your destination in the same amount of time. Road 1 takes you over some beautiful mountains and nice bridges. Road 2 takes you through beautiful Gardens and forest Road 3 takes you over open plains with pretty villages Road 4 takes you near the ovean with lovely beaches and nice palm trees.

I want to go from A to b I like the Mountains so I take road 1 I do not like to look at bridges so I work out an alternate path that takes through the mountains but I swerve to the view of the palms on road 4 when I approach a bridge. I might get to my destination but I can not guarantee it as this swerving is taking me on alternate roads.

Muhammad
02-05-2011, 11:49 PM
:sl:

I hope the following excerpt and video will help shed a little light Insha'Allaah:

...Examples of this nature are numerous and the underlying principle is that true adherence to a school is where one follows the methodology and approach of his Imam rather than merely following each verdict as an isolated ruling. Some may argue that it is impractical for the laity to understand the principles by which the Imam of a school of thought derived his opinions. The response to this is to point out that the matter is not for the laity to study and understand the detailed principles in Islamic Law, but instead for them to be open-minded and possess the flexibility that allows them to adopt other opinions once they are satisfied that it is closest to the truth (while remaining tolerant of other orthodox views). However, those who study Islamic law can, to a certain extent, understand the origins of the legal opinion and the method by which it was derived, and thus will be held accountable by Allah accordingly.

It should also be emphasised that following a particular school does not free a person from putting any effort to follow the truth that has been revealed by Allah the Most High. Allah will not hold people accountable for their lack of adherence to a specific school, but rather for their identification of the correct ruling in any particular matter. Therefore, once an adherent of a school of thought becomes aware of another opinion in opposition to the one adopted by their school of thought, they have been afforded a good enough grounds to investigate further - it is incorrect for anyone to assume that they are not obliged to investigate merely because the opinion does not source from their school...
Full article: http://www.islam21c.com/theology/174...sm-an-oxymoron

The video mentions some points about following madhabs and avoiding picking-and-choosing... it takes some time for it to get into that discussion though:

http://www.islamictube.net/watch/b2a...them-al-Haddad

Salahudeen
02-06-2011, 12:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Perhaps an analogy would help:

You have four roads leading from city a to city b. each road will get you to your destination in the same amount of time. Road 1 takes you over some beautiful mountains and nice bridges. Road 2 takes you through beautiful Gardens and forest Road 3 takes you over open plains with pretty villages Road 4 takes you near the ovean with lovely beaches and nice palm trees.

I want to go from A to b I like the Mountains so I take road 1 I do not like to look at bridges so I work out an alternate path that takes through the mountains but I swerve to the view of the palms on road 4 when I approach a bridge. I might get to my destination but I can not guarantee it as this swerving is taking me on alternate roads.
But all the roads lead to the same place so why can't you follow the alternative path to avoid the bridges that you dislike, both routes take you to the destination and both are correct.

netprince
02-06-2011, 12:18 AM
http://www.islamicboard.com/islamic-...an-sunnah.html[/QUOTE]

A short lecture by the scholar you linked to above (Mufti Muhammad ibn Adam al Kawthari) regarding 'sufism'

LINK

Argamemnon
02-06-2011, 12:19 AM
But all the roads lead to the same place so why can't you follow the alternative path to avoid the bridges that you dislike, both routes take you to the destination and both are correct.
I don't think anyone can say that it is "absolutely impermissible". They are just opinions.

Muhammad
02-06-2011, 12:29 AM
The main point is that you must follow what you believe is closest to the truth. If you are faced with different opinions, your criterion for distinguishing which to follow is to look at which seems to be based on the strongest evidence, not that you choose what is most convenient for you. See the video I linked to for more details Insha'Allaah.

Argamemnon
02-06-2011, 12:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
The main point is that you must follow what you believe is closest to the truth. If you are faced with different opinions, your criterion for distinguishing which to follow is to look at which seems to be based on the strongest evidence, not that you choose what is most convenient for you. See the video I linked to for more details Insha'Allaah.
But not everybody is able to study Islam in depth (I will check your videos later insha'Allah).

netprince
02-06-2011, 12:35 AM
The confusion arises from the mixing of two issues:

(a) Following another madhhab completely in a complete action, and

(b) mixing the positions of more than one madhhab within one action, in such a way that it is not independently valid in either one (talfiq).

The latter is impermissible and invalid according to the fuqaha. Ibn Abidin (imam of the late Hanafi school for fatwa) and Ibn Hajar al-Haytami (imam of the late Shafi`i school for fatwa) both transmit scholarly consensus (ijma`) regarding its impermissibility.

Following another madhhab completely in a complete action, however, is valid according to the majority of the scholars of usul al-fiqh, and fuqaha, on the condition that there not be a systematic seeking out of dispensations. This was confirmed by Ibn Abidin in his Hashiya, Tahtawi in his Hashiyat al-Durr, Abd al-Ghani al-Nabulsi in his Sharh al-Tariqa al-Muhammadiyya and in his treatise on ijtihad, taqlid and talfiq, and is the position adopted by the Syrian Hanafi scholars.

The scholars of the Indian Sub-continent generally do not allow this, except under exceptional circumstances, but not because it is per se invalid, but for obvious reasons:

(a) In their millieu, it is not normally possible for one to find a qualified source or scholar from another school;
(b) To close the door to the systematic seeking of dispensations.

But, even Indo-Pak scholars who advocate this position admit, this is more an answer of prudence than a theoretical impermissibility.
I wonder whether the position enunciated in the major texts of the school is not more suited to our situation in the West. People have a lot of difficult situations and challenges in their lives, and this makes things easy for them while remaining within the boundaries of sound sunni scholarship.

Sticking to One School

It is not religiously binding on the Muslim to stick to one school on all matters, without exception, as both al-Tahtawi and Ibn Abidin (Allah have mercy on them), the two leading late authorities for fatwa in the Hanafi school, both explain. Rather, there is nothing wrong with taking a dispensation if there is a need; what is impermissible is to make it a habit to seek out dispensations [i.e. even if there is no hardship or need].

The Path of Taqwa

The path of taqwa, as the scholars explain, is to avoid taking dispensations unless there is genuine hardship in following one's own school. In fact, they say that those who have learned their own school should seek out the strictest positions from other school whenever reasonably possible, so that one's worship and practice is sound without argument.

May Allah grant us beneficial knowledge, and the success to act according to it, on the footsteps of the His Beloved (Allah bless him and give him peace), with the secret of sincerity, without which actions are but lifeless forms.

And Allah knows best.

Wassalam,

Argamemnon
02-06-2011, 12:41 AM
It seems to me that Hanefis are often "alone" against the other three madhabs regarding certain fiqh issues. I could be wrong of course because I'm still learning (just a beginner really). So, there are certain issues within the Hanefi fiqh which I truly find further from the truth than the views of the other madhabs. However, like I said, I'm still learning and have a long way to go. I will simply stick to Hanefi rulings. Most people in my country of origin (Turkey) are Hanefi anyway...

Muhammad
02-06-2011, 12:49 AM
But not everybody is able to study Islam in depth (I will check your videos later insha'Allah).
From the article: "Some may argue that it is impractical for the laity to understand the principles by which the Imam of a school of thought derived his opinions. The response to this is to point out that the matter is not for the laity to study and understand the detailed principles in Islamic Law, but instead for them to be open-minded and possess the flexibility that allows them to adopt other opinions once they are satisfied that it is closest to the truth (while remaining tolerant of other orthodox views)."

In the video it mentions an example of someone who follows a particular Madhab, yet comes across one specific issue where he feels that the other Madhabs have a stronger stance on it. Rather than ignoring these other opinions despite feeling they are based on stronger evidences, it is argued he should be open to accepting them.

Allaah (swt) knows best.

Ramadhan
02-06-2011, 02:10 AM
My ustadz (islamic teacher) said that we must follow a madhab consistently. For example, almost all indonesian muslims follow syafii, then that is the fiqh path that I choose.
As what's been expressed many times above, we shouldnt pick and choose because most of us do not study Islam in-depth, because unless we are learnt in certain issue very well, that could lead us to pick the ruling that's the most convenient to us, and not necessarily what we believe is the most correct one.

I also agree with br. Muhammad's opinion above that we may adopt other madhab's stance when we come into certain issue where evidence for other madhab is much stronger than the madhab's that we normally follow. Personally I follow almost exclusively madhab syafii, but there are some areas where I think the other madhab is more correct. For example: in wudoo, syafii strictly dictates that wudoo is invalidated whenever I touch a non-mahram female skin, even by accident. After learning from my ustadz and books that discussed the qur'an verses and ahadeeth that concern validity of wudoo and personal experiences such as tawaf in a very crowded tawaf area where I frequently inadvertently touch a woman's fingers and feet, I came to conclusion that the other madhabs is more correct in ruling that wudoo is not invalidated by accidental touchings of non-mahram without desires.

ardianto
02-06-2011, 03:32 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar
almost all indonesian muslims follow syafii,
The correct word is "majority of", not "almost all".

You can count how many Indonesians who offered salat subh without du'a Qunoot. It's means they do not follow Shafi'i madhab.

tigerkhan
02-06-2011, 03:38 AM
Do not pick and chose what you like from the Madhabs. Stick with one and follow it.
i am in strong opinion of this.

It is said that if you pick and choose from the madhabs then you would be following your desires
a simple example of this is in a wudu, in hanafi fiqa when blood come out of any of ur part of body, the wudu will be invalid, However in Shafia or Malaki (i am not sure)
the wudu will be valid even after bleeding. Now let suppose u are following Hanafia and if ur blood came out of body, and u think according Shafia my wudu is valid so i can pray salat. very clearly its shows ur nafs has included in ur deen, u are trying to tend islam according to ur desires however islam means to leave desires but according to commandment.
remember following desires open the door of Kufar for the person, so u may see how much its important issue. we must have to follow one fiiqa completely.

But not everybody is able to study Islam in depth
this is what a ppl like us, always keeps in mind. we have tooo little knowledge. and if i add more, after Hijjatul-widah, surah Nasar has been sent from ALLAH SWT. Muslims got happy by reading this that now ALLAH SWT has opened the door of islam for the people, but when Abubakar RA heard this surah, He start weeping. someone asked Y, He RA replied in this surah ALLAH SWT has given a clue that now work of Prophet PBUH to spread Islam is over, so now soon they will be parted from us.
so not every one has that much Taqwa that he can just understand the exact meaning of quran and Hadith bu seeing translation. and start making their own opinions in Islam.

Also we are not that much knowledgeable that we can judge that which this is clear in which mudhab other is second. all 4 iman are more knowledgeable than us, so we have to just follow.
ALLAH SWT knows the best.

tigerkhan
02-06-2011, 03:46 AM
when we come into certain issue where evidence for other madhab is much stronger than the madhab's that we normally follow
brother, how can we say this...how can we judge this....we have so little knowledge. i mean to judge or comment on four mudhab and judging that in certain issue which muddhab is more clear, U must have more Knowledge than the four imams. bcz to pass or fail , this is work of teacher. student cant judge what is correct or which is wrong. and if some student make such comment, surely they will be not acceptable.
JazakAllah

ardianto
02-06-2011, 04:13 AM
Personally I follow almost exclusively madhab syafii, but there are some areas where I think the other madhab is more correct. For example: in wudoo, syafii strictly dictates that wudoo is invalidated whenever I touch a non-mahram female skin, even by accident.
Not only with non-mahram. Even if a husband has take wudhu and he touch his wife skin with skin, his wudhu is invalid. (In Shafi'i madhab)
After learning from my ustadz and books that discussed the qur'an verses and ahadeeth that concern validity of wudoo and personal experiences such as tawaf in a very crowded tawaf area where I frequently inadvertently touch a woman's fingers and feet, I came to conclusion that the other madhabs is more correct in ruling that wudoo is not invalidated by accidental touchings of non-mahram without desires.
Ulama from Shafi'i madhab have issued a fatwa, during tawaf, Shafi'i Muslim can turn from "masyhur" opinion (touch opposite gender skin invalidate wudhu absolutely) into "marjuh" opinion in Shafi'i madhab (accidental touching opposite gender skin without desiree does not invalidate wudhu).

Ramadhan
02-06-2011, 04:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ardianto
The correct word is "majority of", not "almost all". You can count how many Indonesians who offered salat subh without du'a Qunoot. It's means they do not follow Shafi'i madhab.

Or, they follow madhab syafi'i, but when it comes to du'a qunoot, they decide that other madhab is more correct (meaning du'a qunoot is not obligatory or even sunnah muakkad during shalah subh/fajr and is a bid'ah when made compulsory).

Again, this is an example of how people are not following a particular madhab consistently.

ardianto
02-06-2011, 05:04 AM

Or, they follow madhab syafi'i, but when it comes to du'a qunoot, they decide that other madhab is more correct (meaning du'a qunoot is not obligatory or even sunnah muakkad during shalah subh/fajr and is a bid'ah when made compulsory).

Again, this is an example of how people are not following a particular madhab consistently.
It's means they do not follow Shafi'i madhab consistently.

Okay, i see a misunderstanding in Indonesia. Many people assume if a Muslim offered salat subh with dua qunoot, he/she must be follower of Nadhlatul Ulama. Of course, it's wrong. Not every Indonesian Muslim who follow Shafi'i madhab follow Nadhlatul Ulama.

To non-Indonesia who doesn't know what is Nadhlatul Ulama, this is the biggest Muslim organization in Indonesia that follow Shafi'i in fiqh, and Sufi in tradition.

Argamemnon
02-06-2011, 05:16 AM

There is a word in dua qunut that I can't pronounce properly in Arabic so I avoid dua qunut, lol..

I don't say dua qunut during vitir namaz (salat) but as a hanefi I have three other options;

1) saying dua Rabbena Atina

2) saying "Allahummegfirli" (three times)

3) saying "Ya Rabbi" (three times).

Islam is so easy but some people like to make it hard I guess..

ardianto
02-06-2011, 08:13 AM
There is a word in dua qunut that I can't pronounce properly in Arabic so I avoid dua qunut, lol..

I don't say dua qunut during vitir namaz (salat) but as a hanefi I have three other options;

1) saying dua Rabbena Atina

2) saying "Allahummegfirli" (three times)

3) saying "Ya Rabbi" (three times).

Islam is so easy but some people like to make it hard I guess..
Naidamar and me did not talk about qunoot in witr, but about qunoot in second raka'ah in salat subh. According to Shafi'iah Ulama in my place, recite du'a qunoot in salat subh is wajib.

AabiruSabeel
02-06-2011, 12:09 PM

Source:

Salahudeen
02-06-2011, 01:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tigerkhan

a simple example of this is in a wudu, in hanafi fiqa when blood come out of any of ur part of body, the wudu will be invalid, However in Shafia or Malaki (i am not sure)
the wudu will be valid even after bleeding. Now let suppose u are following Hanafia and if ur blood came out of body, and u think according Shafia my wudu is valid so i can pray salat. very clearly its shows ur nafs has included in ur deen, u are trying to tend islam according to ur desires however islam means to leave desires but according to commandment.
remember following desires open the door of Kufar for the person, so u may see how much its important issue. we must have to follow one fiiqa completely.
It may be following ur desires but both opinions are accepted as correct since all the madhabs are correct and have evidence. So if both are correct and have evidence then why can't I follow it in the situation you gave. After all it's a correct opinion with evidence. It's not a wrong opinion is it?

Al Shifa
02-06-2011, 01:02 PM
It seems to me that Hanefis are often "alone" against the other three madhabs regarding certain fiqh issues. I could be wrong of course because I'm still learning (just a beginner really). So, there are certain issues within the Hanefi fiqh which I truly find further from the truth than the views of the other madhabs. However, like I said, I'm still learning and have a long way to go. I will simply stick to Hanefi rulings. Most people in my country of origin (Turkey) are Hanefi anyway...
Brother, don't confuse yourself, you are following one of the great madhabs. this is also a shaitanic way to confuse right going people. Just stick with the madhab you are on while keeping in mind that all 4 of these are correct and that's all. Allah bless you.

Salahudeen
02-06-2011, 01:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Al Shifa
Brother, don't confuse yourself, you are following one of the great madhabs. this is also a shaitanic way to confuse right going people. Just stick with the madhab you are on while keeping in mind that all 4 of these are correct and that's all. Allah bless you.
What I don't understand is, if all 4 are correct then why can't we follow an opinion from another madhab in an issue because that opinion is also correct, since all 4 are correct.

Amat Allah
02-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Follow The strong evidances from Qur`aan and correct Sunnah of our Messenger (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)...I don`t see any harm taking from all The Mathaahib as long as what you are taken is proven in Qur`aan and correct Sunnah and scholars had agreed upon it unanimously...

AabiruSabeel
02-06-2011, 05:59 PM

What I don't understand is, if all 4 are correct then why can't we follow an opinion from another madhab in an issue because that opinion is also correct, since all 4 are correct.
Each Imaam has based his Madhab on certain principles and on the basis of these principles were the rulings issued. By picking and choosing from these rulings, one would inevitably end up contradicting himself in the principles.
An example to illustrate it to you in our daily lives would be, American pronounce the last letter of the alphabet as 'zee', while the British pronounce it as 'Zead'. This is a principle and pronounciation of words is based on this principle, this zebra is pronounced 'Zeebra' by Americans and Zebra by the British. If a person pronounced the letter as Zead but Zebra as Zeebra, it would be pointed out to him that what you are doing is unacceptable.
Similar is the case with regard to picking and choosing between Madhabs.

Secondly, while all the Imaam are right, if you pick rulings, your desires will lead you astray by causing you to pick those rulings that suit your whims and fancies and no sooner does a person do that, than he goes astray.

And Allah Knows Best
Mufti Ebrahim Desai

Source: http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.p...da454efa45a03d

Further explanation:

Why one of four?

There were many mujtahids in the past. Why do I have to restrict myself to following one of the four madhāhib? Why can’t I follow any other madhhab?

One of the conditions in following a madhhab is that it should continue to develop after the founder of the madhhab. For example, in the Hanafi madhhab the students of Imām Abu Hanifa Imām, Imām Abu Yusuf and Imām Muhammad رحمهم الله تعالىcontinued to build on the foundation laid by Imām Abu Hanifa رحمه الله تعالى. Ulama and scholars who came later on continued to review, codify, explain and expand on the Hanafi madhhab. It is in this manner that we have a fully codified and systemic madhhab. This has been the case with the other three madhāhib also. In contrast to other schools of thought which were not codified, researched and recorded as the above mentioned madhāhib. The views of other mujtahids were passed on as knowledge (i.e. their views were quoted when discussing a mas’alah but it was not accepted as a madhhab to be followed). It is for this reason that some of their views are found scattered in different books.

From the above explanation we also understand that the four madhāhib are not the works of a single individual. However, it is the conglomeration of the united efforts of the ulama throughout the ages.

Why one madhhab?

If all four madhāhab are correct why do I have to restrict myself to only one madhhab?
If a person does not confine himself to one madhhab he will ultimately fall prey to the evil of his nafs. He will always be looking for what suits his whims and desires. This will cause a lot of harm to his religion. If someone decides to pick and choose the most prudent view he will be putting himself in difficulty. Therefore there is security and ease in confining oneself to one madhhab.
Following one scholar is an established practice from the time of the honourable Sahaba and Tabi’oon رضوان الله تعالى عليهم اجمعين. Imām Bukhari رحمه الله تعالى narrates on the authority of Ikrimah رحمه الله تعالى:
حدثنا أبو النعمان حدثنا حماد عن أيوب عن عكرمة : أن أهل المدينة سألوا ابن عباس رضي الله عنهما عن امرأة طافت ثم حاضت قال لهم تنفر قالوا لا نأخذ بقولك وندع قول زيد قال إذا قدمتم المدينة فسلوا فقدموا المدينة فسألوا فكان فيمن سألوا أم سليم فذكرت حديث صفية رواه خالد وقتادة عن عكرمة – صحيح البخاري 1758 دار الفكر
The people of Madina asked Ibn Abbās the ruling of a woman who makes (her first tawāf) of the Ka’ba and thereafter experiences her menses (before she can make her final tawaf). Ibn Abbās told them that she may go home without completing her final tawāf. The people of Madina said, “We will not follow your verdict and abandon the verdict of Zayd.” Ibn Abbās replied, “When you reach Madina then enquire from him…” (Bukhāri 1758)
Ibn Shihāb az-Zuhri رحمه الله تعالىcommanded his student Yunus ibn Yazīd al-Ayli رحمه الهه تعالىthat obey him and make wudhu if you eat anything cooked on a fire. Yunus رحمه الله تعالىreplied I will not follow you and leave the view of Sa’eed ibnul Musayyab. Zuhri رحمه الله تعالىkept silent. (Atharul Hadīthish Sharīf 79)

Why should I follow an Imām of fiqh?

Why do I have to follow an Imām of fiqh? Why can’t I follow an Imām of hadīth? It is unanimously accepted that the Sahīh of Imām Bukhāri is the most authentic book after the book of Allah Ta’ala. Why can’t I follow Sahīh Bukhāri?

The sphere of a muhaddīth is different from that of a faqīh. A muhaddīth deals with matters relating to the chain of narrators and the words of a hadīth whereas a faqīh deals with the understanding and the practical implications of a hadīth. Furthermore, the muhaddīthoon do not have a fully codified madhhab. This is accepted fact to which even the muhaddīthoon agree. Whenever Imām Tīrmīdhī رحمه الله تعالى commented on anything relating to the sanad of any narration he always quoted the muhaddīthoon and whenever he related some relating to a fiqhi ruling he only quoted the fuqaha.
The great muhaddīth, Imām Suyfān ibn Uyaynah رحمه الله تعالى mentioned:
التسليم للفقهاء سلامة في الدين
Submitting to the fuqahā is safety in Dīn. (Atharul Hadīthish Sharīf 116)
Imām Tirmidhi رحمه الله تعالى said:
سنن الترمذى - (ج 3 / ص 316 رقم الحديث 990 )
وكذلك قال الفقهاء وهم أعلم بمعاني الحديث
The fuqahā are more knowledgeable of the meaning of ahādīth.
Shaykh Awwamah حفظه الله تعالىquoting Mawlana Binnorī رحمه الله تعالىexplains that it is important to understand that the muhaddithoon followed certain fiqhi rulings. Based on the rulings they followed they chose which ahādīth to add in their compilations. For example, Imām Bukhāri رحمه الله تعالىopined that a person should do raful yadayn therefore, he added those narrations which prove his viewpoint. So his ahādīth are based on his fiqh and not vice versa. (Atharul Hadīthish Sharīf 152)

Our honourable ustadh Shaykhul Hadīth Mawlāna Fadhlur Rahmān حفظه الله تعالىexplains that when our illustrious ulama mention that Bukhāri and Muslim are the most authentic books it does not mean that each and every narration is the most authentic and given preference over other ahādīth. What is meant is that on a whole these two books are the most authentic. (Who are the blind followers? 78)

It should also be understood that by default it does not mean that any narration appearing in Bukhāri is given preference. Allāmah Irāqi رحمه الله تعالىmentioned 110 reasons of any narration been given preference. It is only at number 102 that he mentioned if any narration is in Bukhāri or Muslim will it be given preference over other narration.

Allāmah Shawkāni رحمه الله تعالى listed forty-two reasons which pertaining to the sanad which could be a means of giving preference to any narration. Only at listed number 41 did he mention that a hadīth appearing in Bukhāri or Muslim could also be a reason of preference. (Atharul Hadīthish Sharīf 150)

Why I can’t follow the most authentic view?

On what basis will a person determine which view is that most authentic? If he uses his own discretion to ascertain the most authentic view, he is incapable in accomplishing this. If he has reached the stage whereby he is able to determine the most authentic view then there is nothing wrong with this. (Atharul Hadīthish Sharīf 112) However, it is important to note that for a person to reach this position he should be well qualified in all branches of knowledge starting from basic Arabic grammar right up to the intricacies of hadith and tafseer. Furthermore, in determining whether a person is fit for this lofty position or not his personal opinion will not be accepted.

If a narration is authentic it is my madh’hab

When a narration is established as saheeh then this will be my madh’hab. This has been narrated from all our illustrious fuqaha and in fact it is the maxim of every believer. However, it is important to understand what is meant by this statement and to whom it is addressed.

It is important to realize that any hadith cannot be taken on face value, even though it might be saheeh. There are many factors which could affect the status of practicing on any hadith. Our illustrious fuqaha رحمهم الله تعالى have made painstaking efforts in sifting out and clarifying for us which Ahadith should be used and which should be left out. Not every hadith is ma’mool bih (practiced upon).

Ibn Wahb رحمه الله تعالى narrates that he heard Imam Malik رحمه الله تعالى say:
“Many ahadith could be a means of misguidance.”

What did this great Imām mean by saying hadith could be a source of misguidance? He meant that not all ahadith are suitable to be practiced upon. Even though it might be authentic but it could be abrogated, there could be other Ahadith on the topic too, it could be a speciality of Nabi صلى الله عليه وسلم, or the hadith could be going against other principles of Islam (despite the fact that it is saheeh. An example of this is found in Saheeh Muslim).

Ibn Wahb رحمه الله تعالى also explains:
“Any person who has hadith but does not have an Imām in fiqh is astray.”

Great words from a great personality! This great scholar is pointing to the fact that merely having a lot of narrations is not sufficient. One has to have the understanding of how to apply them. Which narration fits where? How to join the puzzle together?

The statement “when a hadith is authentic it is my madh’hab” has been addressed to those people who have reached this level; the level of ijtihād.

Furthermore, in trying to attribute any narration as the madh’hab of an Imām, one needs to be certain that the Imām did not know of this narration. It is very possible that the Imām did not act upon this narration despite knowing about it. In order to know if the Imām knew about the narration, one needs to study all the works of the Imām and his students. This is an extremely studious task. Imām Ghazāli رحمه الله تعالىcommenting on one narration says that this hadith did not reach Abu Hanifa. Ibnul Humām رحمه الله تعالىcomments on what Imām Ghazāli رحمه الله تعالىsaid by saying that Imām Abu Hanifa رحمه الله تعالىdid know about it and he mentioned it in his musnad. Even after reading all the books of an Imām we can still not say with certainty that the Imām did not know about it. If a narration is not found in Saheeh Bukhari it does not mean he did not know about it. Similar is the case here.

Many great scholars the likes of Ibn Abil Jarood who was a student of Imām Shafi’i , Abul Waleed an-Nisaburi and Abul Hasan al-Karaji رحمهم الله تعالى tried to follow this statement. However, those who came after them criticized them and showed where they slipped up. It was no ordinary people who tried to apply the above statement. They were great scholars of their times. Therefore, if they erred in their endeavour despite their lofty academic ranks, does it make sense for any laymen like me or you to try to implement this statement???

Above we have seen how scholars of hadith differ in their conditions in classifying a narration as saheeh. According to whose classification of saheeh will we apply the statement if a hadith is authentic?

These are just a few glimpses into the intricacies of what taqleed and ijtihād entails. This should be sufficient for a person with sober understanding to realize that:
التسليم للفقهاء سلامة في الدين

Submitting to the fuqahā is safety in Dīn.

And Allah knows best

Wassalamu Alaikum

Ml. Ishaq E. Moosa,
Student Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
Darul Iftaa,
Madrassah In'aamiyyah

Source: http://www.askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.p...6acfb7cb951217

----

Please also read: Islamic Law: Between ‘Selecting’ and ‘Negating’ a Position

Salahudeen
02-06-2011, 06:06 PM
[QUOTE=AabiruSabeel;1407290]:sl:

Each Imaam has based his Madhab on certain principles and on the basis of these principles were the rulings issued. By picking and choosing from these rulings, one would inevitably end up contradicting himself in the principles.
An example to illustrate it to you in our daily lives would be, American pronounce the last letter of the alphabet as 'zee', while the British pronounce it as 'Zead'. This is a principle and pronounciation of words is based on this principle, this zebra is pronounced 'Zeebra' by Americans and Zebra by the British. If a person pronounced the letter as Zead but Zebra as Zeebra, it would be pointed out to him that what you are doing is unacceptable.
Similar is the case with regard to picking and choosing between Madhabs.

Secondly, while all the Imaam are right, if you pick rulings, your desires will lead you astray by causing you to pick those rulings that suit your whims and fancies and no sooner does a person do that, than he goes astray.

And Allah Knows Best
Mufti Ebrahim Desai

[QUOTE]

But if I pick rulings that suit my whims and desires it does not matter because the ruling is correct because all the madhabs are correct, so I've chosen a correct ruling that is valid. I didn't understand the zebra or zeebra bit.

AabiruSabeel
02-06-2011, 06:27 PM

But if I pick rulings that suit my whims and desires it does not matter because the ruling is correct because all the madhabs are correct, so I've chosen a correct ruling that is valid. I didn't understand the zebra or zeebra bit.

Please read the previous post completely. I have also posted a video in a previous post on this thread.

For more clarifications, please see:
http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?id=3351 and
http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=1583&CATE=389

Since this is a fiqh related question, it cannot be answered by any of us laymen here. If you are still confused, please consult a Scholar.

Al Shifa
02-07-2011, 05:59 AM
Jazak Allah Khair, Brother,,,,

tearose
01-18-2013, 10:04 PM
What about the problem of people who move around quite frequently, to areas which follow different madhabs? When I was in Morocco, I followed the Maliki madhab for almost a year and a half because that's what my teacher's advice was based on. But now I'm in the UK if I need to know the rulings on issues I look at websites like Islam QA, which sometimes mentions views of different madhabs and sometimes doesn't. There aren't any fiqh classes, at least for sisters, at the masjid I go to, and I don't even know what madhab the imam follows. I can't stick to Maliki madhab, because I'm not in touch with anyone who can give me the correct rulings. So to be honest now I don't know who to follow.I feel it is a bit of a mess but I don't know what the solution is as I don't know which country I will live in after I finish my uni course in the UK. It also seems a bit hard to have to follow the Maliki madhab for the rest of my life just because I happened to be in a country which follows it when I started learning about fiqh. Has anyone else been in a similar situation, and was there a solution?

Urban Turban
02-26-2013, 05:16 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tearose
What about the problem of people who move around quite frequently, to areas which follow different madhabs? When I was in Morocco, I followed the Maliki madhab for almost a year and a half because that's what my teacher's advice was based on. But now I'm in the UK if I need to know the rulings on issues I look at websites like Islam QA, which sometimes mentions views of different madhabs and sometimes doesn't. There aren't any fiqh classes, at least for sisters, at the masjid I go to, and I don't even know what madhab the imam follows. I can't stick to Maliki madhab, because I'm not in touch with anyone who can give me the correct rulings. So to be honest now I don't know who to follow.I feel it is a bit of a mess but I don't know what the solution is as I don't know which country I will live in after I finish my uni course in the UK. It also seems a bit hard to have to follow the Maliki madhab for the rest of my life just because I happened to be in a country which follows it when I started learning about fiqh. Has anyone else been in a similar situation, and was there a solution?
Sis, wouldn't it be great to stay in touch with a scholar and follow what he says in terms of fiqh? If you have been following the Maliki school, you just have to connect with a Scholar who follows that school, there are so many ways to stay in touch or ask questions, whatsapp, email, twitter etc - my bro is a Scholar [Hanafi] and Alhamdulillah he is just a whatsapp message away if I have any queries, otherwise too I stay in touch with a number of top Scholars. 90% of the Deen I have heard isn't subject to jurisprudence.

tearose
02-28-2013, 01:07 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Urban Turban
Sis, wouldn't it be great to stay in touch with a scholar and follow what he says in terms of fiqh? If you have been following the Maliki school, you just have to connect with a Scholar who follows that school, there are so many ways to stay in touch or ask questions, whatsapp, email, twitter etc - my bro is a Scholar [Hanafi] and Alhamdulillah he is just a whatsapp message away if I have any queries, otherwise too I stay in touch with a number of top Scholars. 90% of the Deen I have heard isn't subject to jurisprudence
As-salamu 3laikum,
Yes that would be great, and it's good that you are in touch with these scholars but I don't know how to get in touch with a scholar and I don't know how to use twitter or whatsapp- that's not to say I wouldn't want to learn though. I think the bigger problem is the issue of following a different madhab from the community around you. That could lead to a lot of problems. I know that most issues in the deen shouldn't be affected by difference in madhab, but it's just a lot of little differences, all the time. From organization, to women's issues, to people asking each other for advice, to family issues - small differences come up all the time in daily life. It's very hard to go against the grain constantly - at least, it is for me. That's why, in some ways, I would rather wait until I am more settled in a particular place, in sha Allah, until settling on a particular madhab. As for what to do until then, I am not sure. It's a problem, I admit, but I'm not sure about sticking with Maliki school as I am no longer in an area that follows it and don't know if I ever will be again.
I think that what you said sounds great in principle, but in practice it is easier to learn from someone you can physically talk to. Thanks for the advice btw jazak Allahu khair

~Zaria~
02-28-2013, 05:36 PM
Assalamu-alaikum,

The following book: The Legal Status of Following a Madhab by Shaykh Mufti Taqi Usmani is a must-read.
Insha Allah, it will put to rest any doubts one may have regarding this topic.

:wa:

Land.Of.Pure
03-01-2013, 06:58 AM
Do not pick and chose what you like from the Madhabs. Stick with one and follow it. It makes no difference which one. But do not try to simplify things by picking what you like from the other
Brother Woodrow I don't agree with this approach.

Even Imams didn't agree when one of them said something on the lines that if we find them making mistake we should not follow them...

Quran & Sunnah is the ultimate authority. Whenever we have conflict we should go to Quran & Sunnah and choose the way that matches them.

If I'm remember correctly, one imam once told his students that massah between toes was not allowed during Wuzoo as it wasn't proved by Ahadees but then one of his students was able to find Hadees where Prophet once did that. Imam changed his view as he looked at the evidence.

Urban Turban
03-04-2013, 08:15 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tearose
As-salamu 3laikum,
Yes that would be great, and it's good that you are in touch with these scholars but I don't know how to get in touch with a scholar and I don't know how to use twitter or whatsapp- that's not to say I wouldn't want to learn though. I think the bigger problem is the issue of following a different madhab from the community around you. That could lead to a lot of problems. I know that most issues in the deen shouldn't be affected by difference in madhab, but it's just a lot of little differences, all the time. From organization, to women's issues, to people asking each other for advice, to family issues - small differences come up all the time in daily life. It's very hard to go against the grain constantly - at least, it is for me. That's why, in some ways, I would rather wait until I am more settled in a particular place, insha Allah, until settling on a particular madhab. As for what to do until then, I am not sure. It's a problem, I admit, but I'm not sure about sticking with Maliki school as I am no longer in an area that follows it and don't know if I ever will be again.
I think that what you said sounds great in principle, but in practice it is easier to learn from someone you can physically talk to. Thanks for the advice btw jazak Allahu khair
Don't mind, but for the women, there isn't even congregation salah, so how many real differences that could crop up?
Anyways, better ask the Scholars themselves www.askimam.org

Fi Amanillah.

Urban Turban
03-04-2013, 08:21 AM
Don't mind but this is applicable to all of us.
And its truly sad.

tearose
03-15-2013, 08:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Urban Turban
Don't mind, but for the women, there isn't even congregation salah, so how many real differences that could crop up?
To be honest, the few issues that could come up are mostly to do with rulings on menstruation, so I don't really want to go into details, but if you have a sisters' halaqa, there could be a few differences in terms of how things are done in tajweed classes. However, I think you are right, it is best to ask a scholar on such issues. By the way, I thought drawings of humans were haraam? ^^

ILuvAllah
04-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Assalamualaikum,

I'm just going to share some of the points on madhab which I learned from my fiqh lesson.

Madh-hab literally means a way of going or simply a path. The position of an outstanding scholar on a particular point was also referred to as his Madh-hab (the path of his ideas or his opinion). Eventually, it was used to refer to the sum total of a scholars' opinions, whether legal or philosophical. Later it was used to denote, not only the scholar's opinion, but also that of his students and followers

The four different schools of madhabs may contradict with one another on some cases but this does not mean that they are wrong in all aspects and it is not advisable to reject the madhabs because there a risk of falling into deviation for rejecting the madhabs all together. There is also negative impact following specific madhab blindly because it has caused division among the ummah. The only madhab that should be followed blindly is the madhab of the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and to do so we must take the advises of the early scholars of the 4 madhabs, keeping in mind that they take us to the madhab of our Prophet (pbuh), they were also the blind followers of the madhab of our Prophet (pbuh). So they helped us for a better understanding of how the sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh) should be followed. So without the knowledge of it, we cannot follow the sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh) accurately with our own limited knowledge. Therefore, we can do this by following a scholar of a particular madhab wherever we are, but we shouldn’t restrict ourselves to its rulings. We should keep in mind that this scholar and those of earlier generations before him is only helping us to arrive at the madhab of our Prophet (pbuh).

Among the other early scholars of islam who studied under one of the traditions of legislation of the 4 schools of madhabs but they did not restrict themselves to its rulings. For eg, imam ibn tammiya studied under the traditions of hanbali madhab but he did not restrict himself to its rulings or blindly follow it.

We should view all the madhabs as conveying the message of the madhab of Prophet (pbuh) which is the one and only pure madhab which is perfect and has not contradiction, but looking at the madhabs as 4 different perspective religions is absolutely forbidden.

Note: Don’t just pick and choose among teachings of the different madhabs according to your desires because that would like following your desires. You should rather seek out the correct understanding of fiqh in order to be on the right path.

hope this helps

And Allah knows best

piXie
04-20-2013, 07:00 PM
I think there is a difference in a person following a ruling because he merely likes it or it suits him and following a ruling because it is closer to the sunnah. The former is based upon whims and desires and will lead one astray while the latter is based upon authentic evidence and will keep one upon guidance.

greenhill
05-28-2013, 01:27 PM
In all honesty, I have not studied the madhab. Where I come from it is known that we follow Shafie but recently I was informed that in certain issues we follow other madhabs. In fact there is a lot of mix but it is not at all widely known by the population at large.

When I questioned deeper, I was informed that that when we die we would not be questioned which madhab we belong to but on the 5 pillars of islam and our faith (and of course our deeds etc).

I should read up on them and find what the 'real' differences are but that would be another time. If anyone could give a summary, it would be of great help. In the meantime, I just carry on with the practice of the 4 pillars (until I get the chance to fulfill the 5th (Hajj) :D

greenhill
05-29-2013, 03:32 PM
In fact, I found a post when I Googled it almost immediately after posting the above, and it was a thread from this forum. Had plenty of pages on it. Pretty heated arguments for pages:omg:....;D After closing the page I logged on to IB and couldn't find it again^o).

And, after reading the post, I realised that we can get really 'hung up' on these classifications. Really, it seems the Madhabs only comes to play generally on the fringes of law and 'technicalities'. The most important is the basic and the intention for doing it in the first place. The idea, for me is that we are given the mind as a tool. The madhabs are the highest degree of interpretations generally accepted. The fact that we should choose one over the other and cannot mix is human law, not Allah's. If the intentions are wrong, then we are only cheating ourselves at the end of the day.

ZeeshanParvez
12-06-2015, 04:27 PM

It is because their methodology in Usool Al-Fiqh differs greatly from the other three Imaams. If you truly want to appreciate the rulings of the Hanafi Fiqh you will have to give their Usool a read.

ZeeshanParvez
12-08-2015, 02:18 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by greenhill
In all honesty, I have not studied the madhab. Where I come from it is known that we follow Shafie but recently I was informed that in certain issues we follow other madhabs. In fact there is a lot of mix but it is not at all widely known by the population at large.

When I questioned deeper, I was informed that that when we die we would not be questioned which madhab we belong to but on the 5 pillars of islam and our faith (and of course our deeds etc).

I should read up on them and find what the 'real' differences are but that would be another time. If anyone could give a summary, it would be of great help. In the meantime, I just carry on with the practice of the 4 pillars (until I get the chance to fulfill the 5th (Hajj) :D
That would be difficult! Imaam Maalik saw that what was being done in Madinah was of greater Hujjah than the Hadith. So, if the two were in conflict and the people of Madinah were doing something in a particular manner and a Hadith said otherwise, he would take the doings of the People of Madinah. The other Madhabs did not hold this view.

The Hanafis do not permit abrogation or specification of a Qur'anic Verse or Mutawaatir Hadith by one which is 'aahaad. Rather, only a Mutawaatir Hadith can abrogate or specify a Qur'anic Verse or another Mutawaatir Hadith. The Shaafis and Hanbalis do not hold this view. For them a 'aahaad Hadith can abrogate and specify a Mutawaatir Hadith.

Just these differences lead a great difference in the rulings which are derived from the primary sources. There are many other differences.

cinnamonrolls1
02-12-2018, 07:11 PM
Honestly i do similar things tbh... Technically im maliki however i do follow a lot of stuff from the hanafi madhad as well

cinnamonrolls1
02-12-2018, 07:12 PM
Although, the differences between the madhabs arent too big- they all are pretty similar and its only really small details they differ in tbh

Zeal
02-12-2018, 08:29 PM
Even within madhab there's so much ikhtilaaf

azc
02-13-2018, 08:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zeal
Even within madhab there's so much ikhtilaaf
but this ikhtlaf helps a mufti in giving the easiest fatwa suitable to the situation of the matter

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!