/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Know your TAJWEED

Beardo
02-05-2011, 10:42 PM
I remember there was this one time... It was like three or four years ago, I was deciding a place to lead Taraweeh at. This one place wanted to hear me recite to see if I knew my Tajweed or not.

So I lead Salatul Maghrib and the president of the Masjid comes up to me and says, "Masala, you have very good tazveed."

;D

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Hannah.
02-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Oh my gosh! This reminds me.. about 3 years back I learnt the 'pakistani tajweed style' of reciting the Quran. So we had this new teacher, who knew the proper tajweed.. the first thing he said to my brother and I when we started reciting was: "You're both reciting this all wrong. You're going to have to start from the basics now." - You have NO IDEA how upset we were! But it was worth it, alhumdulilah :)

Insaanah
02-06-2011, 09:46 PM
:sl:

On the flip side, us non-Arabs sometimes think that all Arabic must be read with tajweed, but it's only for the Qur'an. I remember once years ago reading in an Arabic book the following, it was part of a conversation that we were role playing:

مَنْ يَقُولُ هَذَا؟

And we had to read it aloud, and I said mainyyaqoolu, and the teacher said it should be man yaqoolu, you only do that for the Qur'an. I was like, Really?

That was truly the first I'd heard of it and to me it felt so unnatural to say man yaqoolu, when since childhood I'd said it the same way, because the Qur'an was of course, the only Arabic I knew since childhood!

Anyway, it was a good lesson learnt.

Muhammad
02-06-2011, 10:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
I remember there was this one time... It was like three or four years ago, I was deciding a place to lead Taraweeh at. This one place wanted to hear me recite to see if I knew my Tajweed or not.

So I lead Salatul Maghrib and the president of the Masjid comes up to me and says, "Masala, you have very good tazveed."

;D
What if he really did know his tajweed, but just had a speech defect? :)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
جوري
02-06-2011, 10:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
What if he really did know his tajweed, but just had a speech defect?

very good point ..

not everyone can afford to have their

surgically corrected (amongst many other pathologies that is) and that actually makes me sad!

Insaanah
02-06-2011, 10:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muhammad
What if he really did know his tajweed, but just had a speech defect? :)
If I'm correct, I don't think he was implying that the brother didn't know his tajweed.

I recognise what he wrote as a style of speaking from a particular area. The people tend to pronounce sheen as seen and jeem as za. So you get maasaAllah etc. And that is how they speak.

However, those of them who know tajweed, when they read Qur'an, do read it properly.

In the above case he wasn't reciting the Qur'an, but it was just ironic that he was talking about tajweed at the time.

I hope Br Rashad will correct me if I'm wrong.

Beardo
02-07-2011, 02:04 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
If I'm correct, I don't think he was implying that the brother didn't know his tajweed.
Precisely. But I think Brother Muhammad was trying to say we should try to make excuses for our brothers. He made a good point, masha-Allah!
format_quote Originally Posted by τhε ṿαlε'ṡ lïlÿ
surgically corrected (amongst many other pathologies that is) and that actually makes me sad!
You know, for a lady, you have a lot of courage. More so than myself. Therefore, I would really request you warn us when putting such photos :x I'm sensitive and become nauseous to those types of pics.

جوري
02-07-2011, 02:59 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Rashad
You know, for a lady, you have a lot of courage. More so than myself. Therefore, I would really request you warn us when putting such photos :x I'm sensitive and become nauseous to those types of pics.
hmmmm fascinating.. If you think it takes courage to fix a frenulum I wonder how you'd feel seeing someone autopsied...

feel free to remove the image if it is emotionally jarring..

:w:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!