/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on doing Masters in Tourism? advice please

Aishath
02-07-2011, 01:45 PM
Salaam,

Just wondering if anyone was doing a Masters in Tourism? Wondered what kind of course it is.... it's a 'halal' course isn't it? I know tourism is sometimes associated with alcohol and so on but I am trying to get a job working in an airlines like Emirates or Singpaore airlines and so think a Masters in this field would be a good idea...

Any ideas? I don't know if it's me being paranoid or what when I keep wondering if it's haram to study tourism :S

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Salahudeen
02-07-2011, 06:01 PM
I can't issue you a fatwa but I do not see any reason why it would be haraam to study tourism.

Aishath
02-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Yeah I think it was just me being paranoid lol...

May Allah guide us all. Ameen.

Woodrow
02-08-2011, 02:54 AM
:sl:

As the Muslim population spreads around the world it seems there is a growing need for Islamic tourism agencies. Pilgrims making Hajj could benefit greatly from such. Others who would benefit would be those who desire to go to take a break from Western life and visit some Islamic nations. There would be a need to be certain halal choices will be made for everything from the travel to potential stop overs to final accommodations.

Entering tourism with the goal of arraigning travel for Muslims should be a halal endeavor.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ardianto
02-09-2011, 02:49 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aileen
Salaam,
Just wondering if anyone was doing a Masters in Tourism?
I have no formal education in tourism, but in 90's I had a travel agent company.
Wondered what kind of course it is.... it's a 'halal' course isn't it? I know tourism is sometimes associated with alcohol and so on
There are two major in tourism academy, Hotelier and Tour & Travel. In Hotelier major students also learn foods and beverages, it can be a problem for Muslims because those beverages including alcoholic beverages. But Tour & Travel major is free from alcohol, in this major you would learn how to arrange tour and travel (inbound and outbond).
but I am trying to get a job working in an airlines like Emirates or Singpaore airlines and so think a Masters in this field would be a good idea...
Working in airlines would gives you a good salary, but if you want to use your whole knowledge in Tour & Travel, the best place is in Travel Bureau companies. By the way , many airlines companies also have Travel Bureau companies.
Any ideas? I don't know if it's me being paranoid or what when I keep wondering if it's haram to study tourism :S
Study tourism (tour & travel) is not haram. And actually, study hotelier also not haram as long as not including study about "how to serve alcoholic beverages".

GuestFellow
02-09-2011, 02:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aileen
Salaam,

Just wondering if anyone was doing a Masters in Tourism? Wondered what kind of course it is.... it's a 'halal' course isn't it? I know tourism is sometimes associated with alcohol and so on but I am trying to get a job working in an airlines like Emirates or Singpaore airlines and so think a Masters in this field would be a good idea...

Learning about something is not haraam.

Ansariyah
02-09-2011, 03:14 PM
With a travel & Tourism degree u can become a travel agent or a tour guide etc. I think it wud be wicked to be a tour guide, u get to enjoy sight seeing & get paid. But u have to have excellent communication skills dealing with so many people from so many backgrounds. I think they'll teach u that as part of ur degree anyway. I wish u all the best!

Bernok
09-23-2014, 05:54 AM
Its quite a good field i must say, what important is your interest if you think you can use this thing as a part of your future then surely you can get to have ways which will let you find that what you actually want to do.
So yeah this is the way for it and it goes ahead.

introspective
09-24-2014, 07:03 AM
Sounds neat.

In my opinion, I don't think fiqh would discourage you from studying tourism.

However, fiqh would judge upon the the practices in the tourism industry.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!