/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Establishing correct etiquette to attract & welcome Muslim guests to my accommodation

stephenc
02-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Firstly, my thanks to all who welcomed and advised me in the 'Introduce Yourself' forum. Its probably more fitting that I should continue the question here though

My wife and I own and run 3 Northern Ireland Tourist Board regulated and approved short stay self catering apartments in the centre of Belfast, N.Ireland and have found that more and more we are receiving guests of the Muslim faith

We have found all these guests to be of high morality, kind and of strong faith and would like to be in a position to warmly welcome them and any future Muslim guests in the correct manner and according to their religion

Part of our website focuses on FAQ's for prospective guests and includes the following -

• What time is check in & check out?

• I'm flying into Belfast - how much does it cost to get to you and what is the best route?

• How far is it from a supermarket?

• How often are the towels and bedding changed?

• Do you clean the apartment during our visit?

• Is there car hire nearby and can you recommend any?

• What is the nearest train station terminal to the apartment?

• Is there anywhere you'd particularly recommend us to visit in Belfast?

• Is there internet access?

• Do you supply discount vouchers?

• Where is the nearest tourist information office?

• I have a balance to pay on arrival, what payment methods do you accept?

• What currency do you accept? For example, do you take Euro?

• Do you supply a welcome pack?

• Do I need to bring towels?

• What washing / cleaning materials do you supply?

• Can you recommend someone who runs tours in and around Belfast?

I'm keen to add another question and answer to the online faq list as follows -

Do you cater for the Muslim faith and if so how?

We respect and welcome guests from all religions and backgrounds. In relation to followers of the Islam faith, we will provide details of the nearest Mosque (The Belfast Islamic Centre), where possible halal shops nearby, a month long prayer schedule, a compass and prayer mats. We also provide miswaks / siwaks as part of our welcome pack and a 'Please do not disturb or knock on the door, it is our prayer time' placard

I'd really appreciate some critical feedback on this please before adding it to the site. It is a genuine attempt to welcome Muslim guests (which we are already receiving) plus an attempt to attract more. I hold my hands up to the fact that this is related to bringing in more business but see it as a win / win situation for all

Posters to my introduction have kindly advised me about certain etiquette in relation to -

• Removing any alcohol

• Speaking and dressing modestly

• Not being offended by reduced contact between host and guest of different sexes

• Ensuring any food is hatal

• Avoiding dogs in the accommodation

• Provision of Mosque details, etc (see above faq)

Advice / thoughts / ideas / criticism or anything else would be appreciated

Thanks in advance, Stephen

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
aadil77
02-10-2011, 10:03 PM
It's great that you're trying to accomodate muslims more, but if you feel you cannot uphold all suggestions made then don't worry. We are very adaptable, obviously living in a non-muslim country we can't have everything our way and are used to making our own provisions for certain things, but thanks alot for your concern.

Most us will have our own provisions for prayer direction, prayer mat, info on prayer times, local mosques etc. These days everything is available on the internet. So try not worry to much about these things, most of us who care about prayers usually come prepared.

Our main concerns are the same as non-muslims, having good customer service and a clean place to stay.

Woodrow
02-10-2011, 10:27 PM
It is looking good. I can not think of anything else to add. Just a statement that you and your staff welcome any comments and suggestions.

Healing
02-11-2011, 01:03 AM
I kind of agree with aadil.. I appreciate your concern but i think you don't have to worry too much about some details, even in muslim countries we can accept non-muslim people between us regardless their background!
the important parts are halal food, limited contact between different sexes and providing details about nearest islamic center. we could receive these three things in a hotel and a hospital in thailand and we were really grateful! yet your other efforts would be a great attract for your business..

hope the best for you and your wife

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
StudentIII
02-11-2011, 04:24 AM
Your enthusiasm to cater to your clients is refreshing and should serve as an example to other business owners who still retain any notion of class and respect. What you have so far sounds really good, if any hotel I came across provided all that for me would be an easy 2 thumbs up and recommendations to all my friends who plan to travel to the same area. I laughed a little with giving out miswaks. That just might be a first from a nonmuslim hotel owner.

glo
02-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Welcome to the forum, Stephen.

I admire your intention to make your customers to welcome!
If ever I come to Belfast I will look out for your apartments. :)

I am aware that you have already been given heaps of advice, which you are looking to put into place, but there is one other suggestion I would like to make.
As well as making the preparations who already do, simply ask people what they need or in whichever way you can help them. I think there is nothing quite like the direct offer to help and an interest in hearing the views, values and opinions of others. It will help you to get to know people and their beliefs better.

All the best with your business endeavours. :)

stephenc
02-12-2011, 03:18 PM
Once again, my thanks to all who replied to my postings and for some welcome suggestions and reassurance that we're on the right track. Having considered them and changed the text a little, I've now gone ahead and added the following faq to the site

How do you cater for guests of varied faiths and religions?

We respect and welcome guests from all faiths, religions and backgrounds and try to ensure we do everything to enhance their stay. For example, in relation to Muslim followers of the Islam faith, on request we aim to provide details of the nearest Mosque, halal shops nearby, a month long prayer schedule, a compass and prayer mat. We will also aim to provide miswaks / siwaks as part of our welcome pack and a 'Please do not disturb or knock on the door, it is our prayer time' placard. Further requests / comments can also be considered from all faiths and religions

I don't think I'm allowed to post the URL of the website but please be assured of an extra warm welcome for guests from the Islamic Board forum :welcome:

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!