/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Swallowing Spit (Saliva) During Salah

questions123
02-15-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi,
I just want to ask are we allowed to swallow our spit during Salah, recently i keep getting lots of saliva in my mouth, and when i think about it i get more and more, i swallow it otherwise it would be hard to pronounce the words, is this okay?
Thank You.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
إحسان
05-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Assalamu Alaykum,

I would advise you to stop concentrating on your saliva first. You said it's hard for you to pronounce the words when during Salah, this evidently Shaytan, so I recommend you to say (before you pray that is),

'Audhu billahi min al-shaitan ir-rajim, bismillah ir-Rahman ir-Rahim' O Allah I seek refuge in You from Shaytan, In the name of Allah, most Gracious, most Compassionate...

Soon inshAllah, your problem will be resolved.

Dagless
05-08-2011, 12:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by questions123
Hi,
I just want to ask are we allowed to swallow our spit during Salah, recently i keep getting lots of saliva in my mouth, and when i think about it i get more and more, i swallow it otherwise it would be hard to pronounce the words, is this okay?
Thank You.
When are you not allowed to swallow your own saliva? :S

Skunkman
05-08-2011, 01:18 PM
in while fasting, it is not good to swallow it, its best to spit out. But it dosn't matter if u swallow it. During sallah, u should swallow it i think.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Dagless
05-08-2011, 01:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Skunkman
in while fasting, it is not good to swallow it, its best to spit out.
Do you have any evidence for this?

al yunan
05-08-2011, 02:10 PM
in while fasting, it is not good to swallow it, its best to spit out. But it dosn't matter if u swallow it. During sallah, u should swallow it i think.
Assalamu alaikum brother,

You could be experiencing some medical problem that causes over salivation. Have you had this problem for long ?

If not from what you explain,the problem most likely stems from two things , first is that you're over tilting your head forward and second that you are over forming the words in your mouth and the combination of the two would most likely cause excess saliva.

Try out a few verses with your head a little up but always keeping your gaze down and also try not to enunciate the words rather try and involve your stomach muscles and makes sure your breath lasts the verse, then re inhale and recite while exhaling.
With a bit of practice you should Inshallah be fine.

Also make sure when you take Wudu to cleanse your mouth out and to rinse well. It would also be a good Idea to take the sister's advice and never omit to recite "Audhu Billahi Minash shaytaanir Rajim" before taking Wudu

I wish you sucess and peace in your Sala
Masalam

PS: and yes you swallow saliva during prayer you can't spit

Samiro
05-08-2011, 08:19 PM
You create like 1,5 L of saliva during the course of the whole day, impossible to spit that all out ;)

OT: Since you cant spit it out, theres not much else to do other than swallow it. Also be sure not to think about food when you pray.

Tyrion
05-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Of course it's okay to swallow your spit during Salah... o.o Even when fasting... Why on earth would anyone think it wasn't?

Dagless
05-08-2011, 08:58 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Samiro
You create like 1,5 L of saliva during the course of the whole day, impossible to spit that all out ;)

OT: Since you cant spit it out, theres not much else to do other than swallow it. Also be sure not to think about food when you pray.
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
Of course it's okay to swallow your spit during Salah... o.o Even when fasting... Why on earth would anyone think it wasn't?
Yeah it sounds odd, if not impossible. I'm still waiting for the evidence.

CosmicPathos
05-08-2011, 11:22 PM
interesting question.

i never heard that it was forbidden to swallow your spit during fast :S

if it was, id be rushing to the dust bin every minute :S

I think swallowing your mucuus after bringing it up through the larynx into the pharynx and then putting it into esophagus probably breaks fast, not sure but better to avoid doing that.

in-the-shadows
05-09-2011, 12:40 AM
it's wrong to deliberately hold/collect spit in your mouth while fasting and then swallow all of it at once because some people do this with the intention of "quenching" their thirst with their own spit. that is what is wrong, not just swallowing your own spit as it naturally comes. you should worry more about what you are saying when you pray and think less about your spit. it's a natural process, you can't stop it. as long as you are not deliberately collecting spit in your mouth and refraining from swallowing it all at once, it's fine.

Dagless
05-09-2011, 01:29 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by in-the-shadows
it's wrong to deliberately hold/collect spit in your mouth while fasting and then swallow all of it at once because some people do this with the intention of "quenching" their thirst with their own spit.
According to islamqa this is permissible.

source: http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/49005

in-the-shadows
05-09-2011, 02:00 AM
interesting. i would have thought it was wrong because of the intention to quench your thirst by with-holding your saliva and then swallowing it all at once. but thank you for informing me, jazakAllah.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!