/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Women and Politics in Islam

Aprender
02-19-2011, 04:12 AM
I'm not familiar with any women in Islam who are in politics. I know there are countries in which Muslim women may serve in a national legislature but what does the Qur'an say about this?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
- Qatada -
02-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Muslim women cannot be leaders like the Caliph/Sultan/Ameer of an Islamic nation. Similarly, women cannot lead men in Prayers.

However, women can lead other women in prayers. And may be leaders of Projects etc. They may be Leading Scholars and Teachers etc. However, I think the restriction is being a leader at a National level. And Allah knows best.

Aprender
02-19-2011, 06:14 PM
So women like Benazir Bhutto who was a politician in Pakistan isn't exactly permitted because she wanted to lead a nation? But say, if there was a Muslim woman who just wanted to sit on what is the equivalent of a legislature. Not lead it, just be in it, then it is OK? I just ask because it was a question that came up in discussions with friends.

- Qatada -
02-20-2011, 08:03 AM
You're right about Bhenazir Bhutto.

In regard to your 2nd question, it is most likely a Yes. And would probably be strongly of importance when discussing the women issues in legislation.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Aprender
02-20-2011, 04:23 PM
OK. Cool. Thank you, I will take this information back to my friends. Another reason I propose this question is that in the American news there have been a lot of stories about Egypt and the Muslim Brotherhood taking over. Right now I am watching a segment on CNN and the commentator here is talking about how if the Muslim Brotherhood were to take over, they would disenfranchise women. Meaning, they say, that women would never be able to take on the role of president of Egypt if the Muslim Brotherhood were to take the government over and establish a caliphate. He said it would be better for Egypt to have a more liberal, secular party. I disagree.

I find statements like this so hypocritical. In the 2008 election when Hillary Clinton ran she was not elected for the Democratic nomination for the presidency. She ran a campaign which emphasized how tough she was as a woman but she lost to a potentially "secret Muslim" man at the height of all of the hate mongering towards Muslims in the media. Actions speak louder than words. If anything our own political system in America disenfranchises women. I get annoyed when news outlets bring people on who spout liberal intentions without really understanding or addressing the full scope of everything.

If I've learned anything about Islam so far, is that it attempts to empower women and help them live a life that is as stress-free as possible which I find very respectable. The presidency is a very stressful job. Islam does not make it so that a woman's voice can not be heard in politics as people in the West are trying to make it seem. Her word is still valuable to issues that would she could really help out with.

Perseveranze
02-20-2011, 07:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender

If I've learned anything about Islam so far, is that it attempts to empower women and help them live a life that is as stress-free as possible which I find very respectable. The presidency is a very stressful job. Islam does not make it so that a woman's voice can not be heard in politics as people in the West are trying to make it seem. Her word is still valuable to issues that would she could really help out with.
Peace,

I'm glad you aren't buying the propoganda, atleast you can now see how the media is against Islam. Women are so highly respected in Islam, there's so many great stories emphasising this fact.

- A whole chapter on Women in the Quran
- A whole chapter on Mary(pbuh) in the Quran, the Prophet(pbuh) said Mary(pbuh) was the best of women.
- In early Islamic rule, I believe it was the Romans who provoked the Muslims by kidnapping a single Muslim woman. The whole Muslim army at that time marched and defeated the Romans and brought the Sister back. The stories narrated here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6g6NuJfWkw
- Aisha(pbuh), the mother of the believers, used to teach nation of Muslims. Whenever the Prophet(pbuh) wasn't around, they used to go to Aisha(pbuh) with their questions and she used to teach them in masses. She's an inspiration to many people.
- There were even women who used to fight with the Muslim army (during the time of the Prophet(pbuh)).

There's so much more, that if people took time into researching it all they'll find it inspiring :)

I'll end this post with a Hadith, a bit of a comical one though lol -

The Prophet (p.b.u.h.) would react positively to whoever joked or bantered with him and he would smile. One 'Umar bin al-Khattab came to the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) who was at that time angry with his wives, due to their demanding of more allowance. 'Umar - may Allah be pleased with him - said, "O Messenger of Allah! If you recall us when we were men of Quraysh, we always controlled our women. If any of our women were to ask for more allowance, we would have jumped up and grabbed her neck! But when we came to Madinah we found the women controlling their men, so our women began to learn these tricks from their women!" Thereupon the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) smiled. 'Umar continued to speak and the Prophet (p.b.u.h.) continued to smile.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!