/* */

PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions

Wyatt
02-20-2011, 08:58 PM
I was wondering why Urdu is such a popular language for Islamic material. I see many broadcasts in it online. Is it just that a large population of Urdu-speaking people Muslims? Are there historical reasons such as how Arabic is the language of the Qur'an?

I have an Urdu newspaper from England, and I thought it looked really interesting. Isn't Urdu similar to Hindustani?

Also, are there any other popular languages? Arabic, Urdu, what about languages such as Dari or Pashto? :statisfie

I might have to not only learn Arabic, but Urdu as well!

Thanks!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Vilas
02-21-2011, 02:01 AM
Salam

Urdu is a popular language for Islamic material because there are approx. 65 million Urdu speakers and the majority of them are Muslims.

However it is not necessary at all to learn Urdu to learn about Islam, as most popular Urdu books are translated into Arabic and English.

See wikipedia Urdu for more information on Urdu.

سلام

Rafeeq
02-21-2011, 03:56 AM
Sure, a large no. of people speak & understand Urdu. It sounds similar to Hindi or Hindostani but writing script is different.

Tyrion
02-21-2011, 04:17 AM
Pretty much all of the primary sources of Islam are in Arabic, so it's all you need to learn to really study the religion in depth. I think the only reason theres so much Urdu literature around you is because of the large number of Urdu speakers who live in the West. (Like people from Pakistan... They're everywhere. :p)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Innocent Soul
02-21-2011, 11:25 AM
^ Even majority of muslims in India also learn urdu in order to get islamic knowledge. It is one of the official languages of India and Pakistan. I agree with all of you that most of the islamic books are written in urdu. We can get books in all the languages on internet.

Zuzubu
02-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Actually Paki and Hindi is same language under the name: Urdu.

My family speak pastho and dari (farsi) but it's not that popular, it's only random nations like Uzbekistan, Iran, Afghanistan who speaks it.

The major languages are Arabic, Urdu, English, Turkish if you are muslim. There is diffrent kind of farsi, so it's hard to learn 1.

- Qatada -
02-21-2011, 11:48 AM
:salamext:

Dont waste too much time on Urdu, focus on the Arabic and deepening your knowledge on it to get a better insight on the Linguistic Miracle of the Quran.

Wyatt
02-21-2011, 09:14 PM
Thanks a lot for all the advice. I'm a linguistics major, so it's inevitable that I'll be looking into Urdu sometime, haha. But, I'll be focusing on Arabic first. It's just all part of my fascination for Middle Eastern languages, culture, and religion since it all has a profound impact on the world.

Ghazalah
02-21-2011, 09:53 PM
Arabic is the language of the Quran, because it was brought down at the time of the Prophet, who was an Arabic speaker, it would be pointless in revealing it in any other language, no? Also, Arabic is the richest language, when trying to translate Arabic to English for example, its limited, the beauty and the emphasis of the words when they're in Arabic are taken away when they're translated. And also, at the time of the Prophet (PBUH) the Arabs (jahils at the time) were very well known for their poetry, and the Quran was brought to show them that no matter how talented, it is from Allah and he can reveal something better, to someone illiterate (Prophet pbuh) which is indicates he couldn't have made it up and the Quran is the true words of Allah SWT. :)

- Qatada -
02-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Fair enough, if you're interested - I'll give you a mini book on learning Urdu :) [in English and some Arabic help]

http://www.archive.org/download/Urdu...sons_final.pdf

Wyatt
02-22-2011, 01:28 AM
Thanks!

The Qur'an, judging on the readings and from what I've learned, is quite poetic. I've memorised a little, but I don't know too much to judge the Qur'an on a whole.

And the book is definitely helpful. This gives me the essential basics that I will need, so I can move onto intermediate grammar.

شکریہ

[Edit: Also, does anyone here write Urdu in the Devanagari script? Does anyone here know how to read it? It's an excuse to learn something new for me, hehe.]

- Qatada -
02-22-2011, 09:19 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Wyatt
Thanks!

The Qur'an, judging on the readings and from what I've learned, is quite poetic. I've memorised a little, but I don't know too much to judge the Qur'an on a whole.
The Qur'an is not poetry, nor prose. :) Rather, it is Unique in style because it is speech of the One who is Unique [God].

Read other Arabic texts (or any language text) and compare it to the Qur'an and you will see the difference.

Peace.

Wyatt
02-22-2011, 08:18 PM
I mainly had al-fatihah in mind when I said that.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!