/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Want to learn Slang Arabic??

Mohamed Fathi
02-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Alsalam aleikum everybody
although it's my first day here in this site, i'm ready to help everybody who's learning arabic language and want to speak arabic in slang, not in formal.
I'm Egyptian and Arabic iss my mother language, so don't hesitate to ask me about anything u want.
Just post a reply or pm me..
Be sure that i'll be so happy to help u :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
cat eyes
02-28-2011, 10:13 PM
im learning arabic at the moment brother but i dont want to learn slang words lol im having problems remembering the vowels :(

Mohamed Fathi
02-28-2011, 10:22 PM
why?? it's so easy

cat eyes
02-28-2011, 10:23 PM
yep its easy but i have memory problems

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Mohamed Fathi
02-28-2011, 10:31 PM
ahaaa...hope every thing will be ok and u become an arabic langluage teacher too ;)

Woodrow
02-28-2011, 10:51 PM
For those who do not speak Arabic I suggest they not attempt to learn Arabic slang until after they have mastered Qur'anic Arabic. I learned the Moroccan Arabic (Darija) along with Moroccan slang long before I reverted and it has proven to be a hindrance to learning proper Qur'anic But that is my experience and may not be the same for other people.

Mohamed Fathi
02-28-2011, 11:09 PM
You r right .. but i meant those who are advanced in Arabic and wanna be more professional
just wanted to help as much as i can :)

Woodrow
02-28-2011, 11:20 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Mohamed Fathi
You r right .. but i meant those who are advanced in Arabic and wanna be more professional
just wanted to help as much as i can :)
I am pleased to see we agree on this point

Raaina
02-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Can you explain the vowels to me brother. Please :)

Mohamed Fathi
03-01-2011, 01:02 AM
1- Damma ( ُ ) :
- Damma is an apostrophe-like shape written above the consonant which precedes it in pronunciation. It represents a short vowel u (like the "u" in "but").
- Pronunciation : u
- Example : بُت
- Transcription : but
--------------------
2- Wāw ( و ) :
- Wāw is the long vowel ū (like the "oo" in "moon"). It also represents the consonant w. When Waw is used to represent the long vowel, damma appears above the preceding consonant.
- Pronunciation : ū
- Example : بُوت
- Transcription : būt
--------------------
3- Fatha ( َ ) :
- Fatha is a diagonal stroke written above the consonant which precedes it in pronunciation. It represents a short vowel a (a little like the "u" in "but"; a short "ah" sound).
- Pronunciation : a
- Example : بَت
- Transcription : bat
--------------------
4- Alif ( ا ) :
- Alif is the long vowel ā (a long "ahh" sound as in English "father").
- Pronunciation : ā
- Example : بات
- Transcription : bāt
--------------------
5- Kasra ( ِ ) :
- Kasra is a diagonal stroke written below the consonant which precedes it in pronunciation. It represents a short vowel i (like the "i" in English "pit").
- Pronunciation : i
- Example : بِت
- Transcription : bit
--------------------
6- Ya' ( ي ) :
- Ya' is the long vowel ī (like the "ee" in English "sheep"). It also represents the consonant y. When Ya' is used to represent the long vowel, kasra appears above the preceding consonant.
- Pronunciation : ī
- Example : بِيت
- Transcription : bīt
--------------------
7- Sukūn ( ْ ) :
- Whenever a consonant does not have a vowel, it receives a mark called a sukūn, a small circle which represents the end of a closed syllable (CvC or CvvC). It sits above the letter which is not followed by a vowel.
- Example : بِنْتُ
- Transcription : bintu
--------------------
8- Shadda (or tashdīd) ( ّ ) :
- Shadda represents doubling (or gemination) of a consonant. Where the same consonant occurs twice in a word, with no vowel between, instead of using consonant + sukūn + consonant, the consonant is written only once, and shadda is written above it.
- Example : ثَبَّتَ
- Transcription : thabbata
--------------------

Insaanah
03-01-2011, 07:23 PM
:sl: and welcome to the forum.

What does Yaa Balash mean?

I heard someone who was selling things in the street in Saudi chant this repeatedly (to attract customers I presume?)

Ghazalah
03-01-2011, 07:43 PM
Balash means free :giggling:

Egyptian accent is soo :wub: The shaami Arby is nice too, but I don't understand the Algerian, Moroccan dialect/accent at all! :hmm:

Woodrow
03-02-2011, 01:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
Balash means free :giggling:

Egyptian accent is soo :wub: The shaami Arby is nice too, but I don't understand the Algerian, Moroccan dialect/accent at all! :hmm:

The Algerian/Moroccan are both Darija, it is very close to being a separate language from Arabic because of the huge difference in pronunciation. Darija uses a Berber pronunciation and nearly every verb is preceded by a strong KAH sound. Many words are given strong guttural pronunciation such as a simple la is pronounced very harshly as Lahk. You will also here some strange phrases such as La Bas or La Bas Alaik, commonly used for Hello. Some phrases border on blasphemy such as the Souks are generally called Medina

Ghazalah
03-02-2011, 10:58 PM
^I know, when I try to watch the Algerian/Moroccan channels I catch only slight words :p my parents understand it though :hmm:

Mohamed Fathi
03-04-2011, 11:09 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Insaanah
:sl: and welcome to the forum.

What does Yaa Balash mean?

I heard someone who was selling things in the street in Saudi chant this repeatedly (to attract customers I presume?)
There's a big Difference between " Ya Balaash " & " Be Balaash " ..

1 - " Ya Balaash " .. it's a slang Expression that's often used by people who sell things in streets telling you that it seems to be for free .
for example , he says: it costs only 1 $ - Ya Balaash -
when he say that he means that this thing he sells is so cheap that it seems to be for free because it worths more and more than 1 $ :D

2 - " Be Balaash " .. it's a slang Expression that means that it's for free (It Costs Nothing) .

I wish i Could explain the two Expressions to you well :)

Insaanah
03-09-2011, 03:44 PM
^ You actually explained very clearly. I found that very useful. Jazaaka Allahu khyran.

:sl:

Mohamed Fathi
03-13-2011, 07:23 PM
ur welcome :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!