/* */

PDA

View Full Version : What should i do?

happy
03-15-2011, 11:51 AM
I was thinking of becoming English teacher but i'm not sure. The thing is that i'm afriad that I not not be able to handle when i'm in uni cuz english is not in my first language.
I love reading story,poems and I really enjoy english but something in my head is telling my that i will regret this or I might not becomiong teacher.

What advice would you give me?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
03-15-2011, 12:09 PM
:sl:
become fluent in English first, then take your degree? having said shouldnt your English improve drastically by the time you finish your degere? and dont they test you for your ability, before approving you as a teacher ? =)

xsmilesx
03-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Salam Sister
I have studied English at university and had hated it lol. I chose the subject after A Levels because i loved reading/writing etc as did most of the people on the course. However, especially if you are deciding to study a literature based degree, you will be expected to keep up with the work-load, prepare to read 4-5 books a week, spend considerable amount of hours on research and still have time to write the essays (per week). You will also need to prepare yourself for 'all-nighters'. I'm sorry if i am putting you off but it really is very intense. A lot of people think it is all about reading and writing and poetry but as a Muslimah i thought the contents of the topics and people you study were quite pointless. After a couple of months, i decided that it wasn't for me, i couldn't keep pretending to like the books i had to read and follow the lives of these authors in history, so i quit halfway through my first year (i was also pregnant then). I didn't feel like it was getting me anywhere. If you want to become a teacher, there are other courses and degrees that are more specific and give you a 'Teacher Status'.
I am not sure how they will assess your English but i am guessing that you will need to be rather fluent in English when you become a teacher. Perhaps you can take a short course before you do your degree?

Let me know if you need any help. I will be happy to look into it for you :).

Xander
03-16-2011, 04:44 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by happy
I was thinking of becoming English teacher but i'm not sure. The thing is that i'm afriad that I not not be able to handle when i'm in uni cuz english is not in my first language.
I love reading story,poems and I really enjoy english but something in my head is telling my that i will regret this or I might not becomiong teacher.

What advice would you give me?
If I were you, I would take English as a second language. In Canada this means you will study English as a minor and focus on learning the language instead of studying pieces of writings in depth. After that, if you want to become an English teacher, you may want to upgrade it to a major. However, I would study something else as a major, lets say your first language or mathematics?

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
happy
03-16-2011, 11:35 AM
May Allah reward you all. The thing is i hate other subjects such as science and math so becmoing teacher and taking English was the only potion for me.
I wanted to do something with health so I need science but i hate and i'm not good at it.

I really don't know what to study. Once again May Allah reward you all,your advice really help me.

Little_Lion
03-17-2011, 05:50 AM
My 10th grade English teacher here in the US was German, spoke with a heavy accent, and often forgot words and we would have to fill in the gaps for her. However, her knowledge of literature was superb and she is one of the best teachers I ever had, masha'Allah!

If you wish to teach English, with hard study and by the grace of Allah I'm sure you would do wonderful at it. Don't let your doubts be a shaitan!

Have you also considered teaching a foreign language - your own, perhaps? That is often in very high demand. And I know that here in the US, many colleges are fighting over people who can teach about basic Islam to their students. Allah blesses us with many skills. It may not be math, or sciences, but if you feel that holds you back, remind yourself of the gifts he gave you in spades and share them with others! :)

AslamP
04-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Well, judging from little that you wrote, your grammar can use some help, but that doesn't mean you can't become an English teacher - you just need to work on it if that's what you really want to do. It's good that you're reading different subjects; and when you do read, make notes how paragraphs are formed or how grammar and punctuation is used, it'll help you further to understand the English language better toward achieving your goal. Lots of luck to you!

maryambintjared
04-18-2011, 12:02 AM
I am an English teacher, "English as a Second Language to Overseas Learners." (ESOL). There are courses you can do that prepare you to teach that course.

As someone who can speak several foriegn languages, I can tell you that English is the hardest to learn. Forty seven percent of verbs in English are irregular, our spelling is completely illogical, and our word order is very peculiar. It is a hard language to learn, let alone to teach.

I don't know what your first language is, but it could be that you are called to teach your first language to English speakers, rather than English to non English speakers. Currently I am being blessed by the fact that my non English speaking students are teaching me Arabic. Perhaps you are called to teach another language than English? It is something to consider.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!