/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Science and Religion?

Xander
03-17-2011, 04:46 AM
Does anyone here think that the smarter you are the more likely you are to get someone to believe your religion or not? For example, if you are a Christian with PhD of science, do you believe that other people who do not believe may look into it? Personally, I don't think so.

However, a lot of people claim that religious people are "dumb" or "stupid" because of their God and if educated them will not believe in religion. These people over look the fact that a lot of people in the past were great believers in God, and even people today still believe in God and in religion on the doctorate level of science. :exhausted

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
ThePhilosopher
03-17-2011, 05:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Xander
Does anyone here think that the smarter you are the more likely you are to get someone to believe your religion or not? For example, if you are a Christian with PhD of science, do you believe that other people who do not believe may look into it? Personally, I don't think so.

However, a lot of people claim that religious people are "dumb" or "stupid" because of their God and if educated them will not believe in religion. These people over look the fact that a lot of people in the past were great believers in God, and even people today still believe in God and in religion on the doctorate level of science. :exhausted
There certainly is a correlation between amount of education and religious attitude when it comes to science. The majority of scientists are irreligious. This is even duplicated in Universities as large amounts of professors also share the same ordeal. Though, I think it is a generalization to say that religious people are dumb or stupid, that is simply not true. There are numerous Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Sikh etc professors, scientists, intellectuals etc. Only a very bigoted person would claim all religious people are dumb or stupid.

Ramadhan
03-17-2011, 05:24 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by
There certainly is a correlation between amount of education and religious attitude when it comes to science. The majority of scientists are irreligious. This is even duplicated in Universities as large amounts of professors also share the same ordeal.

Can we know in which countries?
Because in Indonesia, most professors, especially in the field of sciences and engineering are renown as devout muslims.
Is it because in western countries most of those professors were christians, and when they use their logic and reason they cannot accept a human as God and hence left christianity?
Can we have some statistscs and the breakdown, or is that only your belief?

Little_Lion
03-17-2011, 05:43 AM
I cannot provide numbers, but I would have to agree with ThePhilosopher that, at least in the case of American sciences, a greater proportion are non-religious than devout. The separation of religion from science is a huge matter of debate in this country, with the consensus of the scientific community saying that religion has no place in science at all.

This is not to say though that all educated people, or all scientists for that matter, are not religious or refuse to accept a concept of the Divine in the slightest. I've met several Christian geologists, for example, who rather than walking away from their respective churches when faced with the evidence that the Earth was billions of years old and was not created in a matter of days, instead questioned the relative timeframe of what a day was to God as opposed to what a day was to us. To some Christians, that would be considered a horrible breech of faith in God; to others, it is just analytical thinking in faith.

I know the more I learn, personally, the more my faith in Allah is strengthened!

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
ThePhilosopher
03-17-2011, 05:53 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by naidamar

Can we know in which countries?
Because in Indonesia, most professors, especially in the field of sciences and engineering are renown as devout muslims.
Is it because in western countries most of those professors were christians, and when they use their logic and reason they cannot accept a human as God and hence left christianity?
Can we have some statistscs and the breakdown, or is that only your belief?
No, it is because many scientific issues conflict with religion in general. Such as the origins of the Universe or biology. What do they teach in biology courses in your university? If they denounce evolution, then I am afraid they are not reflecting scientific standards. Yes here are some statistics.

Sorry, it appears I cannot use any links due to my limited posting. Type in leading scientists reject religion on google and relationship between scientists and religion on wikipedia.

Tyrion
03-17-2011, 06:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by ThePhilosopher
No, it is because many scientific issues conflict with religion in general. Such as the origins of the Universe or biology. What do they teach in biology courses in your university? If they denounce evolution, then I am afraid they are not reflecting scientific standards. Yes here are some statistics.

Sorry, it appears I cannot use any links due to my limited posting. Type in leading scientists reject religion on google and relationship between scientists and religion on wikipedia.
While I can't give you statistics I can speak from my own limited experience, and it seems like this is more common amongst those who are/were Christian... Many professors I know who are irreligious left some form of Christianity, but there are many professors in my university who are highly educated and remain very pious Muslims, with many of them attesting that they became more firm in their faith as they grew in knowledge... Not to say there aren't Muslims who leave Islam, but just based on experience, leaving religion due to rising education seems more likely among Christians then it does with Muslims (and perhaps even people of other non Christian faiths...), and I feel like those studies that came up with the correlations you mentioned may have considered "religious" to mean "Christian" (which is what seems to happen far too often...)

Ramadhan
03-17-2011, 06:05 AM

I will rephrase my question: does your theory only apply for all countries, including majority muslim countries?
Actually, I fully support your theory if you only limit it to christian scientists, because that is also my own observation. But my observation among muslim scientists show the opposite.

I did, and I could find a bunch of christians or ex-christian scientists who reject religion and God.

Ironically (for you), on the wikipedia page that you suggested, I found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relatio...on_and_science

From an Islamic standpoint, science, the study of nature, is considered to be linked to the concept of Tawhid (the Oneness of God), as are all other branches of knowledge.[28] In Islam, nature is not seen as a separate entity, but rather as an integral part of Islam’s holistic outlook on God, humanity, and the world. Unlike the other Abrahamic monotheistic religions, Judaism and Christianity, the Islamic view of science and nature is continuous with that of religion and God. This link implies a sacred aspect to the pursuit of scientific knowledge by Muslims, as nature itself is viewed in the Qur'an as a compilation of signs pointing to the Divine.[29] It was with this understanding that science was studied and understood in Islamic civilizations, specifically during the eight to sixteenth centuries, prior to the colonization of the Muslim world.[30]
According to most historians, the modern scientific method was first developed by Islamic scientists, pioneered by Ibn Al-Haytham, known to the west as "Alhazen".[31] Robert Briffault, in The Making of Humanity, asserts that the very existence of science, as it is understood in the modern sense, is rooted in the scientific thought and knowledge that emerged in Islamic civilizations during this time.[32]
However, the colonizing powers of the western world and their destruction of the Islamic scientific tradition forced the discourse of Islam and Science in to a new period. Institutions that had existed for centuries in the Muslim world were destroyed and replaced by new scientific institutions implemented by the colonizing powers and suiting their economic, political, and military agendas. This drastically changed the practice of science in the Muslim world, as Islamic scientists had to interact with the western approach to scientific learning, which was based on a philosophy of nature completely foreign to them.[28] From the time of this initial upheaval of the Islamic scientific tradition to the present day, Muslim scientists and scholars have developed a spectrum of viewpoints on the place of scientific learning within the context of Islam, none of which are universally accepted or practiced.[33] However, most maintain the view that the acquisition of knowledge and scientific pursuit in general is not in disaccord with Islamic thought and religious belief.[28][33]
The religion Islam has its own worldview system including beliefs about "ultimate reality, epistemology, ontology, ethics, purpose, etc."[34] Muslims believe that the Qur'an is the literal word and the final revelation of God for the guidance of humankind.

ThePhilosopher
03-17-2011, 07:18 AM

I will rephrase my question: does your theory only apply for all countries, including majority muslim countries?
Actually, I fully support your theory if you only limit it to christian scientists, because that is also my own observation. But my observation among muslim scientists show the opposite.

I did, and I could find a bunch of christians or ex-christian scientists who reject religion and God.

Ironically (for you), on the wikipedia page that you suggested, I found this:
Yes, it only does apply to Western countries. Though, the leading scientists in the world are from western countries and this has been the case for a few centuries now. I don't remember the last time a Muslim won a nobel award for science if a Muslim has won any at all.

I don't see how that link is relevant, we are not discussing Islamic golden age science, we are discussing scientists in the modern world. I would advise you as well to check the sources for there are blatant historical inaccuracies in the quote you have provided. The Western world did not destroy Islamic scientific tradition, in fact many historians believe that it was because of Islamic oriented science that the Renaissance happened in the first place. The largest scientific center in golden age Islam was in Baghdad during the Abassid caliphate and that was sacked by the Mongolians, not Westerners.

Ramadhan
03-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Though, the leading scientists in the world are from western countries and this has been the case for a few centuries now. I don't remember the last time a Muslim won a nobel award for science if a Muslim has won any at all.

Even if the "acknowleged/award-winning" leading scientists are mostly from western countries, it does not diminish the fact that muslims countries still have numerous world class scientists. In fact, Iran churn up more scientific citations than most countries.

I don't see how that link is relevant, we are not discussing Islamic golden age science, we are discussing scientists in the modern world.
It seems you have the memory of a goldfish. Let me remind you again.You asked me to do this following:
Type in leading scientists reject religion on google and relationship between scientists and religion on wikipedia.
So I did type "relationship between scientists and religions" on wikipedia, and thats what I got. Don't trust me? Do it yourself.
It seems you are backtracking and shifting your ground now.
It's allright, this is normal and I've encountered plenty.

I would advise you as well to check the sources for there are blatant historical inaccuracies in the quote you have provided
LOL. You know, non-muslims and Islam haters LOVE to quote from wikipedia because it always has bias against Islam altough quite subtle, unlike wiki-Islam which is an outright enemies of Islam. And so wikipedia articles always give them some tool to attack Islam without looking like blatant fabrication/misleading. In fact in this case, you were the one who asked me to do so, but now you are asking me to check the sources again?
;D

Although I am glad that we agree that your theory only applies to christians and exclude muslims.

:)

ardianto
03-17-2011, 07:34 AM
If those Christian scientists are far from their faith, my question is : Are those scientists become irreligious after they learn science, or the had become irreligious before they learn science ?.

ThePhilosopher
03-17-2011, 04:47 PM
Even if the "acknowleged/award-winning" leading scientists are mostly from western countries, it does not diminish the fact that muslims countries still have numerous world class scientists. In fact, Iran churn up more scientific citations than most countries.
World class scientists contribute to the field of science. Give me some names of Islamic scientists that have contributed....
To study science you must be unbiased and start with an objective perspective. This is not compatible with religion as religion demands that you must start with a premise that is already deemed correct. (i.e God)

So I did type "relationship between scientists and religions" on wikipedia, and thats what I got. Don't trust me? Do it yourself.
It seems you are backtracking and shifting your ground now.
It's allright, this is normal and I've encountered plenty.
You arent very bright are you? My intention was obviously to show you the relationship between MODERN science and religion, in what way, shape or form does ancient science answer the question being asked in this thread?

LOL. You know, non-muslims and Islam haters LOVE to quote from wikipedia because it always has bias against Islam altough quite subtle, unlike wiki-Islam which is an outright enemies of Islam. And so wikipedia articles always give them some tool to attack Islam without looking like blatant fabrication/misleading. In fact in this case, you were the one who asked me to do so, but now you are asking me to check the sources again?
;D

Although I am glad that we agree that your theory only applies to
christians and exclude muslims.
I would expect anyone to validate the sources of Wikipedia before quoting something from it as anyone can change it...

It does exclude Muslims because the majority of Muslims live in religiously repressive societies while Christians and the irreligious live in secular societies that welcomes alternate view points and has freedom of religion among other liberties. It is not a surprising that societies like these also attract the most intellectual scientists that actively contribute to the scientific field. I havent seen a correlation between science and Muslims since Suleyman the Magnificent and that was a very long time ago.

Ramadhan
03-17-2011, 05:27 PM
World class scientists contribute to the field of science. Give me some names of Islamic scientists that have contributed.... To study science you must be unbiased and start with an objective perspective. This is not compatible with religion as religion demands that you must start with a premise that is already deemed correct. (i.e God)
Again, this is the last nail in your coffin of claiming as an ex-muslim.
Western countries only started to advance scientifically when they started to move away from christianity,
while in muslim countries it was the exact opposite.
all muslim, and even ex ones, would know this fact.

You arent very bright are you? My intention was obviously to show you the relationship between MODERN science and religion, in what way, shape or form does ancient science answer the question being asked in this thread?
I see that you are shifting your ground again and now claiming that meant "modern science".
Also, can you actually make a point without insulting?
Oh I see, that is another of your hypocrisy again, and your being so "respectful". LOL.
OK, lets see, who first developed the modern scientific method?
the modern scientific method was first developed by Islamic scientists, pioneered by Ibn Al-Haytham, known to the west as "Alhazen".[31]
Iran's scientific progress is reported to be the fastest in the world.[6] Iran has made great strides in different sectors, including aerospace, nuclear science, medical development, as well as stem cell and cloning research.[7]
A good article on Islam and modern science http://msa.mit.edu/archives/nasrspeech1.html
Actually , you will get so many references on positive link and correlation between Islam and science, modern or otehrwise. While in christianity it is the exact opposite.
Of course, you would never have known this, seeing you were a devout, pious, knowledgeable muslim. ;D

Dagless
03-17-2011, 05:37 PM
The most recent study I know of was the one in 2008 by David Voas from the University of Manchester (it's called the 'British Social Attitudes survey' in case anyone wants to dig it up). It showed 25% of men aged 25-34 without a religion had degrees, compared with about 40% of religious men in the same age group. Similar numbers for women too.
I think another good question would be about the education of atheists who join religious forums in an attempt to validate their own belief/lack of belief.

ThePhilosopher
03-17-2011, 07:48 PM

Western countries only started to advance scientifically when they started to move away from christianity,

I see that you are shifting your ground again and now claiming that meant "modern science".
Oh I see, that is another of your hypocrisy again, and your being so "respectful". LOL.

A good article on Islam and modern science
Actually , you will get so many references on positive link and correlation between Islam and science, modern or otehrwise. While in christianity it is the exact opposite.
Of course, you would never have known this, seeing you were a devout, pious, knowledgeable muslim. ;D
I never denied when Western countries started to advance in science. Actually, you have failed to prove the correlation between modern science and Islam. Where did the Muslims get their scientific knowledge and inquiries from?? Out of the blue? God? Islam? NO. The GREEKS.
Islam having scientific innovation centuries ago does not mean Islam has scientific innovations now in the modern world. In fact, they disregard evolution which is a fundamental concept in biological studies. Also, again, with the religion it is a case of begging the question. They start with a premise that is already deemed correct, this is not science or compatible with it.
Alhazen was a very intelligent fellow with great scientific achievements, though much of his studies were from Aristotle, Galen and Ptolemy. Pagans and Atheists.

You still have not named me any modern Islamic scientists with innovations in the past century....I think there is maybe less than 10 in the entire century. Why is this?

Muslim Population:
Nobel Prize recipients:

Literature
1988 - Najib Mahfooz

Peace
1978 - Anwar El-Sadat
1994 - Yasser Arafat *
2003 - Shirin Ebadi

Chemistry
1999 - Ahmed Zewail

Physics
1979 - Abdus Salam

Out of 1,600,000,000 (1.6 billion) Muslims, less than ten have received the nobel prize.

Jewish Population
just under 7,000,000 (7 million)
Literature
1910 - Paul Heyse
1927 - Henri Bergson
1958 - Boris Pasternak
1966 - Shmuel Yosef Agnon
1966 - Nelly Sachs
1976 - Saul Bellow
1978 - Isaac Bashevis Singer
1981 - Elias Canetti
1987 - Joseph Brodsky
1991 - Nadine Gordimer
2002 - Imre Kertesz

World Peace
1911 - Alfred Fried
1911 - Tobias Asser
1968 - Rene Cassin
1973 - Henry Kissinger
1978 - Menachem Begin
1986 - Elie Wiesel
1994 - Shimon Peres
1994 - Yitzhak Rabin
1995 - Joseph Rotblat

Chemistry
1905 - Adolph Von Baeyer
1906 - Henri Moissan
1910 - Otto Wallach
1915 - Richard Willstaetter
1918 - Fritz Haber
1943 - George Charles de Hevesy
1961 - Melvin Calvin
1962 - Max Ferdinand Perutz
1972 - William Howard Stein
1972 - C.B. Anfinsen
1977 - Ilya Prigogine
1979 - Herbert Charles Brown
1980 - Paul Berg
1980 - Walter Gilbert
1981 - Ronald Hoffmann
1982 - Aaron Klug
1985 - Herbert A. Hauptman
1985 - Jerome Karle
1986 - Dudley R. Herschbach
1988 - Robert Huber
1989 - Sidney Altman
1992 - Rudolph Marcus
1998 - Walter Kohn
2000 - Alan J. Heeger
2004 - Irwin Rose
2004 - Avram Hershko
2004 - Aaron Ciechanover

Economics
1970 - Paul Anthony Samuelson
1971 - Simon Kuznets
1972 - Kenneth Joseph Arrow
1973 - Wassily Leontief
1975 - Leonid Kantorovich
1976 - Milton Friedman
1978 - Herbert A. Simon
1980 - Lawrence Robert Klein
1985 - Franco Modigliani
1987 - Robert M. Solow
1990 - Harry Markowitz
1990 - Merton Miller
1992 - Gary Becker
1993 - Rober Fogel
1994 - John Harsanyi
1994 - Reinhard Selten
1997 - Robert Merton
1997 - Myron Scholes
2001 - George Akerlof
2001 - Joseph Stiglitz
2002 - Daniel Kahneman
2005 - Robert (Israel) Aumann

Medicine
1908 - Elie Metchnikoff
1908 - Paul Erlich
1914 - Robert Barany
1922 - Otto Meyerhof
1930 - Karl Landsteiner
1931 - Otto Warburg
1936 - Otto Loewi
1944 - Joseph Erlanger
1944 - Herbert Spencer Gasser
1945 - Ernst Boris Chain
1946 - Hermann Joseph Muller
1950 - Tadeus Reichstein
1952 - Selman Abraham Waksman
1953 - Hans Krebs
1953 - Fritz Albert Lipmann
1958 - Joshua Lederberg
1959 - Arthur Kornberg
1964 - Konrad Bloch
1965 - Francois Jacob
1965 - Andre Lwoff
1967 - George Wald
1968 - Marshall W. Nirenberg
1969 - Salvador Luria
1970 - Julius Axelrod
1970 - Sir Bernard Katz
1972 - Gerald Maurice Edelman
1975 - David Baltimore
1975 - Howard Martin Temin
1976 - Baruch S. Blumberg
1977 - Rosalyn Sussman Yalow
1977 - Andrew V. Schally
1978 - Daniel Nathans
1980 - Baruj Benacerraf
1984 - Cesar Milstein
1985 - Michael Stuart Brown
1985 - Joseph L. Goldstein
1986 - Stanley Cohen [& Rita Levi-Montalcini]
1988 - Gertrude Elion
1989 - Harold Varmus
1991 - Erwin Neher
1991 - Bert Sakmann
1993 - Richard J. Roberts
1993 - Phillip Sharp
1994 - Alfred Gilman
1994 - Martin Rodbell
1995 - Edward B. Lewis
1997 - Stanley B. Prusiner
1998 - Robert F. Furchgott
2000 - Eric R. Kandel
2002 - Sydney Brenner
2002 - Robert H. Horvitz

Physics
1907 - Albert Abraham Michelson
1908 - Gabriel Lippmann
1921 - Albert Einstein
1922 - Niels Bohr
1925 - James Franck
1925 - Gustav Hertz
1943 - Gustav Stern
1944 - Isidor Issac Rabi
1945 - Wolfgang Pauli
1952 - Felix Bloch
1954 - Max Born
1958 - Igor Tamm
1958 - Il'ja Mikhailovich
1958 - Igor Yevgenyevich
1959 - Emilio Segre
1960 - Donald A. Glaser
1961 - Robert Hofstadter
1962 - Lev Davidovich Landau
1963 - Eugene P. Wigner
1965 - Richard Phillips Feynman
1965 - Julian Schwinger
1967 - Hans Albrecht Bethe
1969 - Murray Gell-Mann
1971 - Dennis Gabor
1972 - Leon N. Cooper
1973 - Brian David Josephson
1975 - Benjamin Mottleson
1976 - Burton Richter
1978 - Arno Allan Penzias
1978 - Peter L Kapitza
1979 - Stephen Weinberg
1979 - Sheldon Glashow
1988 - Leon Lederman
1988 - Melvin Schwartz
1988 - Jack Steinberger
1990 - Jerome Friedman
1992 - Georges Charpak
1995 - Martin Perl
1995 - Frederick Reines
1996 - David M. Lee
1996 - Douglas D. Osheroff
1997 - Claude Cohen-Tannoudji
2000 - Zhores I. Alferov
2003 - Vitaly Ginsburg
2003 - Alexei Abrikosov

aamirsaab
03-17-2011, 08:19 PM
I love it when people assume religious folk are stupid/dumb etc. I've got 2 degrees (business and marketing and Islamic Banking/finance).

Suck it, haters.

Dagless
03-17-2011, 08:27 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by ThePhilosopher
Out of 1,600,000,000 (1.6 billion) Muslims, less than ten have received the nobel prize.

Jewish Population
just under 7,000,000 (7 million)
Literature
1910 - Paul Heyse
1927 - Henri Bergson
1958 - Boris Pasternak
1966 - Shmuel Yosef Agnon
1966 - Nelly Sachs
1976 - Saul Bellow
1978 - Isaac Bashevis Singer
1981 - Elias Canetti
1987 - Joseph Brodsky
1991 - Nadine Gordimer
2002 - Imre Kertesz

World Peace
1911 - Alfred Fried
1911 - Tobias Asser
1968 - Rene Cassin
1973 - Henry Kissinger
1978 - Menachem Begin
1986 - Elie Wiesel
1994 - Shimon Peres
1994 - Yitzhak Rabin
1995 - Joseph Rotblat

Chemistry
1905 - Adolph Von Baeyer
1906 - Henri Moissan
1910 - Otto Wallach
1915 - Richard Willstaetter
1918 - Fritz Haber
1943 - George Charles de Hevesy
1961 - Melvin Calvin
1962 - Max Ferdinand Perutz
1972 - William Howard Stein
1972 - C.B. Anfinsen
1977 - Ilya Prigogine
1979 - Herbert Charles Brown
1980 - Paul Berg
1980 - Walter Gilbert
1981 - Ronald Hoffmann
1982 - Aaron Klug
1985 - Herbert A. Hauptman
1985 - Jerome Karle
1986 - Dudley R. Herschbach
1988 - Robert Huber
1989 - Sidney Altman
1992 - Rudolph Marcus
1998 - Walter Kohn
2000 - Alan J. Heeger
2004 - Irwin Rose
2004 - Avram Hershko
2004 - Aaron Ciechanover

Economics
1970 - Paul Anthony Samuelson
1971 - Simon Kuznets
1972 - Kenneth Joseph Arrow
1973 - Wassily Leontief
1975 - Leonid Kantorovich
1976 - Milton Friedman
1978 - Herbert A. Simon
1980 - Lawrence Robert Klein
1985 - Franco Modigliani
1987 - Robert M. Solow
1990 - Harry Markowitz
1990 - Merton Miller
1992 - Gary Becker
1993 - Rober Fogel
1994 - John Harsanyi
1994 - Reinhard Selten
1997 - Robert Merton
1997 - Myron Scholes
2001 - George Akerlof
2001 - Joseph Stiglitz
2002 - Daniel Kahneman
2005 - Robert (Israel) Aumann

Medicine
1908 - Elie Metchnikoff
1908 - Paul Erlich
1914 - Robert Barany
1922 - Otto Meyerhof
1930 - Karl Landsteiner
1931 - Otto Warburg
1936 - Otto Loewi
1944 - Joseph Erlanger
1944 - Herbert Spencer Gasser
1945 - Ernst Boris Chain
1946 - Hermann Joseph Muller
1950 - Tadeus Reichstein
1952 - Selman Abraham Waksman
1953 - Hans Krebs
1953 - Fritz Albert Lipmann
1958 - Joshua Lederberg
1959 - Arthur Kornberg
1964 - Konrad Bloch
1965 - Francois Jacob
1965 - Andre Lwoff
1967 - George Wald
1968 - Marshall W. Nirenberg
1969 - Salvador Luria
1970 - Julius Axelrod
1970 - Sir Bernard Katz
1972 - Gerald Maurice Edelman
1975 - David Baltimore
1975 - Howard Martin Temin
1976 - Baruch S. Blumberg
1977 - Rosalyn Sussman Yalow
1977 - Andrew V. Schally
1978 - Daniel Nathans
1980 - Baruj Benacerraf
1984 - Cesar Milstein
1985 - Michael Stuart Brown
1985 - Joseph L. Goldstein
1986 - Stanley Cohen [& Rita Levi-Montalcini]
1988 - Gertrude Elion
1989 - Harold Varmus
1991 - Erwin Neher
1991 - Bert Sakmann
1993 - Richard J. Roberts
1993 - Phillip Sharp
1994 - Alfred Gilman
1994 - Martin Rodbell
1995 - Edward B. Lewis
1997 - Stanley B. Prusiner
1998 - Robert F. Furchgott
2000 - Eric R. Kandel
2002 - Sydney Brenner
2002 - Robert H. Horvitz

Physics
1907 - Albert Abraham Michelson
1908 - Gabriel Lippmann
1921 - Albert Einstein
1922 - Niels Bohr
1925 - James Franck
1925 - Gustav Hertz
1943 - Gustav Stern
1944 - Isidor Issac Rabi
1945 - Wolfgang Pauli
1952 - Felix Bloch
1954 - Max Born
1958 - Igor Tamm
1958 - Il'ja Mikhailovich
1958 - Igor Yevgenyevich
1959 - Emilio Segre
1960 - Donald A. Glaser
1961 - Robert Hofstadter
1962 - Lev Davidovich Landau
1963 - Eugene P. Wigner
1965 - Richard Phillips Feynman
1965 - Julian Schwinger
1967 - Hans Albrecht Bethe
1969 - Murray Gell-Mann
1971 - Dennis Gabor
1972 - Leon N. Cooper
1973 - Brian David Josephson
1975 - Benjamin Mottleson
1976 - Burton Richter
1978 - Arno Allan Penzias
1978 - Peter L Kapitza
1979 - Stephen Weinberg
1979 - Sheldon Glashow
1988 - Leon Lederman
1988 - Melvin Schwartz
1988 - Jack Steinberger
1990 - Jerome Friedman
1992 - Georges Charpak
1995 - Martin Perl
1995 - Frederick Reines
1996 - David M. Lee
1996 - Douglas D. Osheroff
1997 - Claude Cohen-Tannoudji
2000 - Zhores I. Alferov
2003 - Vitaly Ginsburg
2003 - Alexei Abrikosov
This made me lol, and I even know which site you took it from (so I guess your objectives are now known) :D
It is a highly suspect list to begin with. I spotted a few names on there who aren't Jewish without looking in depth. I mean Ginzburg even you should know, but maybe you know less about atheists in history than you do about Islam.
Also I'm not sure what this proves? Is this how we judge religions? So if there are less Hindu's who have won noble prizes does that prove something about Hinduism? I can only think of 1 Buddhist winner so I guess Buddhism would be on the bottom of the list for... whatever point it is you're trying to make :D
Since Islam covers all ethnic groups and all levels of society it seems an even more stupid comparison.

CosmicPathos
03-18-2011, 03:25 AM
LOL.

hes judging the smartness of a society by the number of awards they have won, as if some other species was deciding who will win these prizes.

Xander
03-18-2011, 04:56 AM

A good article on Islam and modern science
You are aware that many Western nations were founded on Christian values? If Christianity is so thwarting to society and Islam is so forwarding why is the middle east in the state that it is, excluding Israel?

Aprender
03-18-2011, 05:08 AM
You are aware that many Western nations were founded on Christian values? If Christianity is so thwarting to society and Islam is so forwarding why is the middle east in the state that it is, excluding Israel?
Do you even think before you write something? You seem to me to be the type of person who listens only to what he sees on the media and you base your assumptions from what others say. You have a brain, please turn it on and use it. Most of the founding fathers in America were deists meaning they did NOT follow Christianity. Please read the constitution, the declaration of independence and the bill of rights. More importantly, please read your Bible as it is apparent to me that on other posts you've made here you're not familiar with the Bible at all.

If you don't know what you're talking about, then kindly, don't speak. I'll set someone else correct your foolish statement as they are surely better equipped to educate you on the state of the Middle East and with Israel. Although you could find that out yourself by reading a few history books. I'm embarrassed by your words as a Christian. imsad

AslamP
04-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Nowadays people are dictated by the mainstream media, it's sad. If you look at the three major scriptures, the Quran, Bible and Torah, none of the messengers had man-made education,yet they handled world affairs by God's teachings. We have to reevaluate our thinking process and understand why we think the way we do. Personally, I respect those people who follow right conduct in life and make a good difference in our society. "Dumb" and "stupid" are those who want to remain ignorant.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!