/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Problems facing the Quran, Hadith and Sharia

tonyman
03-23-2011, 07:31 PM
Assalamualaykum wa'rahmatullahi wa'barakatuh!

I am currently doing an indepth analysis on the problems facing the Quran, Hadith and Sharia, so that one may take the necessary steps of overcoming them.

Quran:
- Most translations are old and at times incorrect

Hadith:
- Muslims cannot decide on which hadiths are authentic and which ones aren't

Sharia:
- The problems listed above also affects the Sharia
- People can make incorrect interpretations due to personal bias. Particularly dangerous if the person making this incorrect interpretation is a person of power (i.e. ruler or politician, journalist etc.)

Please give me your views on this. And if you have any additional points / suggestions on how to solve them, please share!

Jazzak Allahu khair!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
tonyman
03-23-2011, 07:34 PM
Another thing I'd like to add about the Quran:

- No professional organization working to debunk claims of errors in the original Arabic Quran

Fivesolas
03-23-2011, 07:52 PM
tony,

Can you list the sources you are consulting for the issue you have raised?

Ghazalah
03-23-2011, 08:17 PM
1. There is no problem with the Quran.
"Verily, We have sent down the Qur'an and (surely) We will guard it." 15.9

2. Muslims who follow the Sunnah can distinguish between authentic and not, Sahih Muslim and Sahih Bukhari.

3. Based on the above proves there is also nothing wrong with the Shariah.

:)

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
tonyman
03-23-2011, 08:57 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Fivesolas
Can you list the sources you are consulting for the issue you have raised?
They're just personal observation for now.

format_quote Originally Posted by Ghazalah
1. There is no problem with the Quran.
"Verily, We have sent down the Qur'an and (surely) We will guard it." 15.9
Yeah, but I'm talking about the translations of the Quran.

2. Muslims who follow the Sunnah can distinguish between authentic and not, Sahih Muslim and Sahih Bukhari.
What about Abu Dawud?

3. Based on the above proves there is also nothing wrong with the Shariah.
My point is this. There's the Sharia of God, yeah. But then there's the Sharia people make up for themselves - what they think God is telling them when they read the Quran and the Hadith, due to lack of education, interfering cultural values and so on. I.e. that it's ok to stone people to death, to circumcise females, to drink beer etc. And if it's say, a dictator or a politician who makes these decisions on behalf of a whole population, then we have a problem.

Dagless
03-23-2011, 09:08 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tonyman
And if it's say, a dictator or a politician who makes these decisions on behalf of a whole population, then we have a problem.
But it's normally scholars who do this, not people without knowledge. The problem you are describing is a problem with people; not shariah. Anything can be implemented to follow our own desires if we let it.

tonyman
03-23-2011, 10:26 PM
I never said there was a problem with Sharia, I said there was a problem facing it.

And from my experience, just because you're a scholar, doesn't necessarily mean you're a reasonable, well-educated person.

Woodrow
03-23-2011, 11:05 PM
No translation is the Quran. All translation will contain error. That is an inherrant problem with translations. The only way to fully understand the Quran is to learn Arabic. The best solution is to keep in mind a translation is just an approximation and than read several translations to get a better grasp. Translations are an ongoing thing and always will be as long as the colloqual language keeps changing.

But there are quite a few good translations available today a good listing is:

1. The Holy Qur'an, King Fahd Holy Qur'an Printing Complex

An updated version of the Abdullah Y. Ali translation, revised and edited by a committee at The Presidency of Islamic Researches, IFTA, Call and Guidance (in Madinah, Saudi Arabia). Available without charge from the Royal Embassy of Saudi Arabia, Washington, D.C., or you can access the online version through the website of the King Fahd Complex For the Printing of the Holy Quran in Madinah, Saudi Arabia.
Publisher's Site
2. The Noble Qur'an, translated by Hilali and Khan
This popular translation by Dr. Muhsin Khan and Dr. Muhammad Al-Hilali is beginning to surpasse Abdullah Yusuf Ali's translation as the most popular English rendering of the Qur'an. Some readers, however, are distracted by the extensive notes contained in the body of the English text itself, rather than in footnotes.
Compare Prices
3. The Qur'an, translated by Abdullah Y. Ali
This translation has until recently been the most popular English translation of the Qur'an. Ali was a civil servant, not a Muslim scholar, and some more recent reviews have been critical of his footnotes and interpretations of some verses. Nevertheless, the English style is more fluent than in previous translations.
Compare Prices
4. The Qur'an with Transliteration
Designed for those who want to be able to "read" the Arabic original without having to read Arabic script. The entire Qur'an is translated into English, and also transliterated into the English alphabet to aid in pronunciation of the Arabic text.
SOURCE

Hamza Asadullah
03-24-2011, 12:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by tonyman
Assalamualaykum wa'rahmatullahi wa'barakatuh!

I am currently doing an indepth analysis on the problems facing the Quran, Hadith and Sharia, so that one may take the necessary steps of overcoming them.

Quran:

Hadith:
- Muslims cannot decide on which hadiths are authentic and which ones aren't

Sharia:
- The problems listed above also affects the Sharia
- People can make incorrect interpretations due to personal bias. Particularly dangerous if the person making this incorrect interpretation is a person of power (i.e. ruler or politician, journalist etc.)

Please give me your views on this. And if you have any additional points / suggestions on how to solve them, please share!

Jazzak Allahu khair!
Asalaamu Alaikum, brother your wording is incorrect. The Qur'an, hadith and sharia do not have any problems at all for the only ones with the problems are those who have a lack of understanding of Qur'an, hadith and shariah.

Do you know Arabic in order to know how to translate verses of the Qur'an and hadith properly? You make general statements on what you claim is incorrect with the translations of Qur'an and hadith then provide us with some examples of what you claim to be incorrect translations. There is no point just making general statements whilst not being able to back up those statements with evidence. So please provide us with examples...

tonyman
03-24-2011, 09:45 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
No translation is the Quran. All translation will contain error. That is an inherrant problem with translations. The only way to fully understand the Quran is to learn Arabic. The best solution is to keep in mind a translation is just an approximation and than read several translations to get a better grasp. Translations are an ongoing thing and always will be as long as the colloqual language keeps changing.

But there are quite a few good translations available today a good listing is:
True words man! Much obliged for the listing.

format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
Asalaamu Alaikum, brother your wording is incorrect. The Qur'an, hadith and sharia do not have any problems at all for the only ones with the problems are those who have a lack of understanding of Qur'an, hadith and shariah.
Again, I said problems facing the Quran, Hadith and Sharia - not problems with the Quran, Hadith and Sharia.

format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
Do you know Arabic in order to know how to translate verses of the Qur'an and hadith properly? You make general statements on what you claim is incorrect with the translations of Qur'an and hadith then provide us with some examples of what you claim to be incorrect translations. There is no point just making general statements whilst not being able to back up those statements with evidence. So please provide us with examples...
When you have so many translations of the Quran - surely some of them must be more correct than others. Take for instance Rashad Khalifa's translation (tinyurl dot-com slash 49693p4 - sorry, I'm not allowed to post any links) - which ultimately got him stabbed 29 times and lit with gasoline.

The official Norwegian translation is also known for its inaccuracies (tinyurl dot-com slash 4lezrgo). For instance, in 3:96 it calls Mecca "a temple", and 56:67 it skips and goes straight to 56:68.

Zuzubu
03-24-2011, 09:51 AM
Isn't this correct?

Sahih Muslim
Sahih Bukhari
Sunan Abu Dawood
Malik's Muwatta
Al-Tirmidhi
Nawawwi's 40 hadith.

These 6 are authentic.

- Qatada -
03-24-2011, 12:08 PM
:salamext:

Brother tony, you don't worry about this. All this stuff is being sorted through the people of knowledge, and the guidance which Allah has promised to preserve Himself.

Since none of us are scholars, we should refer to the scholars and not to laypeople who might start to doubt.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!