/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Ok for a non-Muslim to pray?

greeneyedcat
03-25-2011, 04:24 AM
I would like to learn to pray, but I'm not sure about fully converting to Islam. Is it ok for me to just pray even if I don't convert? I am also interested in trying hijab. I really like covering my head. It makes me feel safe. Is this ok? Is there anything I should know as a white American non-Muslim woman about wearing the hijab, something so distinctly Muslim.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ummu Sufyaan
03-26-2011, 09:09 AM
Greetings,
I see you are new, welcome to the forums.

tbh, i dont know the answer to your questions but from the general gist of your post (if im understanding it correctly :hmm:), it seems that you have some type of interest in Islam but are still a bit unsure? is it that you need things clarified that you would like us to help you with?

all the best =)

Ramadhan
03-27-2011, 10:23 AM
By "pray" did you mean shalah?

In performing shalah, meaning you submit yourself to Allah, and send salam to the prophet Muhammad SAW, affirming your belief in there is no God but Allah, and that Muhammad SAW is His messenger, effectively making you a muslim.
It is just my opinion that anybody can perform shalah, but they should know what it means.

If you dont want to be a muslim yet (which I personally dont advise by the way), maybe the best part for you now is to make du'a (supplications, pray) that God guide you to the straight true path, and learn the fundamentals of Islam as best as you could before you make decision.
However, maybe if you perform shalah, God (SWT) will also show you the guidance. I dunno.
It is better for you to contact an Imam in your nearest masjid/mosque to ask advice.

As for wearing hijab, unless there is a strict ban for wearing hijab in your area of the world, I don't see why not.

greeneyedcat
03-28-2011, 08:03 AM
I've been reading and exploring different religions and churches looking for something more. I've felt some pressure to convert and commit from some of the other churches, but I really just want to experience something right now. I'm not sure what it is exactly that I'm looking for. I don't know if I have the words, but I will know it when I feel it. I would like to experience the ordinary daily prayers. It seems like du'a is what I would like to learn so that I can hopefully feel and find what I'm looking for. I tried Bible study classes too but it was too far over my head. I would like to study the Koran, but I need Koran study for children. So far in my reading of the Koran it seems like such a modern book that addresses a lot of modern issues, more so than the Old Testament of the Bible. I tried that website that had billboards all over the US, but I didn't feel comfortable with the person I talked to.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
peaceandlove
03-28-2011, 03:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by greeneyedcat
I would like to learn to pray, but I'm not sure about fully converting to Islam. Is it ok for me to just pray even if I don't convert? I am also interested in trying hijab. I really like covering my head. It makes me feel safe. Is this ok? Is there anything I should know as a white American non-Muslim woman about wearing the hijab, something so distinctly Muslim.
Sister, I am not a scholar and don't have much knowledge so cannot give an authentic answer from quranic verse or hadis.

Just want to point one thing coming in my mind that is Allah (GOD) Is the creater of all of us , just as Allah is my Lord same as yours , so why did you need our permission from us to pray to him , Allah is your GOD too , so why are you hesitating to pray to him? You can pray him , ask him dua any time any where in the world you want ,

Even we bad people (including me) donot obey him as we have to obey but still Allah is always willing to fullfill our prayers and reward us.

Ummu Sufyaan
04-01-2011, 02:47 AM
I've been reading and exploring different religions and churches looking for something more. I've felt some pressure to convert and commit from some of the other churches, but I really just want to experience something right now. I'm not sure what it is exactly that I'm looking for.
i hope this isnt personal to ask and forgive me if i sound blunt, but do you feel really lost and empty and like there's a void missing? like you're walking somewhere, but you dont really know where? i just ask becuase feeling lost and empty sometimes is a cause for how you're feeling. but if its any consultation, this "anguish" if you will, does go away when you find whatever it is you are looking for...you may not know what you are looking for, but when you find it, you know it is that, that you are looking for....so yes, god willing that worry and confused will be lifted....i hope that made sense...

I don't know if I have the words, but I will know it when I feel it. I would like to experience the ordinary daily prayers. It seems like du'a is what I would like to learn so that I can hopefully feel and find what I'm looking for. I tried Bible study classes too but it was too far over my head. I would like to study the Koran, but I need Koran study for children. So far in my reading of the Koran it seems like such a modern book that addresses a lot of modern issues, more so than the Old Testament of the Bible. I tried that website that had billboards all over the US, but I didn't feel comfortable with the person I talked to.
well dua is really easy...all you do is raise your hands to the sky and ask the al-mighty whatever is you want/need.

LeQuranAcademy
04-12-2011, 03:47 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by greeneyedcat

There are different Prayers in Islam , Some have their Specific time and others don't . The one having Specific times are called "Salah" and are 5 in numbers .

In these Prayer you recite Glory of ALLAH (GOD) and send Salutation of the Final Prophet ( Mohammad -Saw) .

Other Prayers are in form of Dhikr ( Remembering ALLAH ) and Dua ( Asking from ALLAH ) , these have No Specific time associated with them and can be done whenever one desires .

You can Wear Hijab Sister , Its being Modest and as you said " Feel Secure " .

If you really want to know more about Islam , then Please read go through these Books and INSHALLAH all your Queries will be answered:

Purification of the Heart -Shaykh Hamza Yusuf

Unveiling Islam - Roger Du Pasquier (Author), T.J. Winter (Translator)

Introduction To Islam - Dr Muhammad Hamidullah

Do You Know What Islam Is? - Maulana Manzoor Nu'mani

]What Islam Is? - Maulana Manzoor Naumani

The Way of Muhammad - Shaykh Abdalqadir As-Sufi

Or Check our Islamic Essentials course and you will INSHALLAH learn alot about Islam

w w w . l e q u r a n a c a d e m y .c o m

Le Quran Academy

IAmZamzam
04-17-2011, 08:14 AM
greeneyedcat, I would like to help you if I can. Shall we speak via private messaging?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!