/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Homeschool?

Fivesolas
03-30-2011, 03:08 AM
How many of you homeschool your children? We homeschool all seven of ours.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Little_Lion
03-30-2011, 01:15 PM
I sure wish I could homeschool my daughter . . . not for religious reasons, but simply because the public education system in this country is pretty sad. I'm going through my second round of college currently and a lot of my fellow students are 20 years younger and straight out of high school and it's just plain scary the very BASIC things they aren't taught. *laughs* Even though I don't technically homeschool, I find myself doing it very often . . . .

Five, do you use a commercial homeschool curriculum, or did you develop your own? Have any of your children moved to public schools (by choice or necessity) for any period of time, and how did they do? How about college?

peace_maker
03-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Well, my bro and sis had to homeschool this year. We had no choice, their school got shut and admissions were closed in all schools, so we were forced to homeschool them.

Homeschooling is only a last chance. I don't think anyone should just homeschool their children without a good reason.

Education is one of the most important things in our life. Let kids enjoy it, within the borders ofcourse.

Little_Lion
03-30-2011, 02:13 PM
There's a lot of different reasons people might homeschool, though . . . in this country, it is not unusual for people with strong religious ties to homeschool since it is illegal for religion to be taught in public schools, and they want to be able to give their children a strong foundation in faith along with the "three R's". Or they don't feel that public education is giving their children everything that it can, due to overcrowding, lack of security, or lowered standards. Special education funding is also falling very short in many states now, so more children with disabilities are being homeschooled.

My big "I sure wish I could homeschool" moment was when my daughter came home one day and told me horseshoe crabs were fish. I told her no, they're arthropods, and are more like a spider than a crab, which are not fish. She went and told her teacher this the next day, and her teacher told her I was wrong, that crabs are fish, just like dolphins. *headdesk*

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Fivesolas
03-30-2011, 02:26 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
I sure wish I could homeschool my daughter . . . not for religious reasons, but simply because the public education system in this country is pretty sad. I'm going through my second round of college currently and a lot of my fellow students are 20 years younger and straight out of high school and it's just plain scary the very BASIC things they aren't taught. *laughs* Even though I don't technically homeschool, I find myself doing it very often . . . .

Five, do you use a commercial homeschool curriculum, or did you develop your own? Have any of your children moved to public schools (by choice or necessity) for any period of time, and how did they do? How about college?
Hey,

We use a curriculum from Bob Jones University (BJU) which is a biblical based curriculim. Some of my older children have expressed a desire to go to public school from what they have seen in a television program. It usually the "fun" they percieve they would have among other students. We have had long talks about it. At the moment we are continuing their home education in order to lay a proper foundation. Education is much more than academics.

And your right, my children would not be permitted to pray together at lunch or recess, carry a Bible to school, or other such activity. I want them to have the freedom to practice their faith.

When it come to college, I hope that they are grounded well-enough to go to any school. While I make a descent living, I do not expect (except by miracle) to have the means to pay for their college education in full for all seven. In my state we have a state scholarship fund that would pay for their education should they maintain a high GPA. This may require them finishing their high school education in a public school.

Little_Lion
03-30-2011, 02:39 PM
I've heard EXCELLENT things about the Bob Jones curriculum and how well students do in secondary education using it. I was customer service manager for a tiny art textbook publishing company for a while, and we'd have parents calling often for supplementary materials for home use, so I got to speak with a lot of them, and also teachers who received students who had been homeschooled using it. Many ended up skipping grades, never mind achieving top marks.

Does your state allow homeschooled students to take advantage of other programs offered at public schools, like after-school programs such as drama or debate, or a book club? Maybe taking part in something like that may alleviate some of the "public school itch" if they are that interested in it.

PouringRain
03-30-2011, 03:45 PM
There was a thread on what people think of homeschooling here: http://www.islamicboard.com/educatio...ink-about.html

I homeschooled mine in the past.

Fivesolas
03-30-2011, 03:59 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
I've heard EXCELLENT things about the Bob Jones curriculum and how well students do in secondary education using it. I was customer service manager for a tiny art textbook publishing company for a while, and we'd have parents calling often for supplementary materials for home use, so I got to speak with a lot of them, and also teachers who received students who had been homeschooled using it. Many ended up skipping grades, never mind achieving top marks.

Does your state allow homeschooled students to take advantage of other programs offered at public schools, like after-school programs such as drama or debate, or a book club? Maybe taking part in something like that may alleviate some of the "public school itch" if they are that interested in it.
There are opportunities for things for them to do at the public schools. There are also sports activities they are involved with through something called "Homeschool Sports" in our area. We also use the YMCA and the programs available there. I have hestiated to use the public school programs out of concern that once you let the state in, its hard to get them out. I am not paranoid, but looking at what has happened in the US to other homeschool families when getting involved with the state has been concerning.

I guess I just prefer the state to stay out of my business. lol

Beardo
03-30-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't have children, lol. But my mom home schooled me for middle school. I loved it. It's good if you're doing extra curricular!

AslamP
04-17-2011, 05:32 PM
That's great that you're homeschooling all your children, it's not easy but very commandable! I hope your children know how much you love them!

SlaveOfGod
04-18-2011, 12:38 AM
I'm currently home-schooled. And its not as bad as some people think. Education wise it is good Alhamdulillah, it just gets a bit tedious after a while.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!