/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Halal animal butchering

Little_Lion
04-01-2011, 07:06 PM
We have no halal butchers in our area. Slaughtering animals for food is something that I have no problem doing - I actually prefer to do it myself when I can because then NOTHING goes to waste. I've never done a halal slaughter but since my conversion, I'd really prefer to do this than continue going to the grocery store, for obvious reasons.

Is this something that anyone can do (by anyone, I mean anyone who is used to working with a struggling animal and is confident that they can do it properly with instruction), or should it be done only by a male, or only by someone with a certain amount of schooling in it? I've found several instructions on mammals, but how would you do it for fish, as we do a lot of fishing? I know you are not allowed to touch the animal until it has died, but are you allowed to catch the blood for cooking and other uses? And when doing it yourself is not an option (I can do fish and chicken in my backyard, and sheep and goats in my garage, but I think the neighbors would get more than a little upset about a cow!) what are the rulings about kosher food? I know various schools differ on this, some saying it is okay, some saying it is forbidden.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Human_Being
04-01-2011, 08:19 PM
I dunno the answers 2 all of ur questions like but im pretty sure only blood ur allowed 2 eat is from liver and spleen accordin 2 hadith and u need 2 hav some practice before slaughterin real live animal cuz its gotta be done just right or else u risk causin it lots of pain and not draining it properly cuz learnin theory is good but u mite find it a bit harder in practice i think ppl need 2 learn from someone who already knows like i dont kno if women can do it no idea

Little_Lion
04-01-2011, 08:24 PM
The slaughter itself is not a problem . . . I grew up on a farm and have slaughtered plenty of animals before. You are correct though, it's not something that I would EVER recommend anyone just practice; I had very good people teach me, just not in the Islamic way.

Jazak'Allah khayr for the insight on the blood, I'll definitely research that much further. Praise Allah there are other uses for it other than eating!

Human_Being
04-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Just curious what else can u do with blood? It would be useful 2 know for future i hav no facilities or trainin in home slaughter but u never kno what the future may hold it would seem a shame 2 waste the blood

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Little_Lion
04-01-2011, 08:41 PM
It's actually really good for composting! Many beneficial bacteria and other microorganisms thrive on it, and break it down into nutrients plants can use. You just have to be sure to add it to the compost over time, and not too much, or you'll attract more flies than usual. Or, if applied directly to the garden between rows, dig a trench several inches deep, pour, and then cover with dirt for the same reason.

BTW, gardens also LOVE left-over fish parts, such as the skin and bones.

Human_Being
04-01-2011, 08:53 PM
Cool that is very useful thanks for sharing! I'd like 2 grow crops one day if i ever move somewhere with a garden inshallah so I'll try remember this

ok i'll stop bein off-topic now lol hope sum1 else can answer ur questions inshallah

StudentIII
04-02-2011, 05:39 PM
As far as I'm aware all fish are halal, they do not need to be slaughtered. This is from the ayah:

016.014 It is He Who has made the sea subject, that ye may eat thereof flesh that is fresh and tender, and that ye may extract therefrom ornaments to wear; and thou seest the ships therein that plough the waves, that ye may seek (thus) of the bounty of God and that ye may be grateful.

005.096 Lawful to you is the pursuit of water-game and its use for food,- for the benefit of yourselves and those who travel; but forbidden is the pursuit of land-game;- as long as ye are in the sacred precincts or in pilgrim garb. And fear God, to Whom ye shall be gathered back.

There is a difference in opinion on the legality of stuff like lobster and crab since they are not wholly animals of the sea, they come out of it sometimes.

As long as your capable of slaughtering you can do it. However, I'm not sure if women are allowed.

I never heard of not being able to touch the animal until it has died.

It is considered haram to eat/use blood in cooking:

“He hath forbidden you only carrion, and blood, and swineflesh, and that which hath been immolated to (the name of) any other than Allah. But he who is driven by necessity, neither craving nor transgressing, it is no sin for him. Lo! Allah is Forgiving, Merciful” (2:173).

I don't see why it would be haram to use it as fertilizer though.

Little_Lion
04-02-2011, 07:54 PM
*facepalm* You are most correct . . . I wonder why the carrion and swine always stick out in my mind, but the blood slips? O.o Allah, please help me in correcting this weakness of memory!

The injunction not to touch the animal until it has died is one I have heard in various articles . . . unfortunately the only one I can find quickly is on Wikipedia, which of course is not exactly the best reference . . . .

"According to Islamic tradition, the animal is brought to the place of slaughter and laid down gently so as to not injure it. The blade must be kept hidden until the very last moment while the jugular of the animal is felt. The conventional method used to slaughter the animal involves cutting the large arteries in the neck along with the esophagus and vertebrate trachea with one swipe of an non-serrated blade. Care must be taken that the nervous system is not damaged, as this may cause the animal to die before exsanguination has taken place. While blood is draining, the animal is not handled until it has died. If any other method is used its meat will not be halal."

The other references I read in the past said it was out of respect for the animal, and not to cause it fear, and is akin to not showing the animal the blade and not slaughtering the animal in front of other animals.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!