/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Building a Mosque

Beardo
04-04-2011, 02:57 PM
If mosques nowadays had a cafe or a room designated for the youth, kids would be more eager to go to the mosque. They'd study at the Mosque instead of starbucks or some other place.

Just my theory. It'd also create a sense of unity.

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Alpha Dude
04-04-2011, 05:54 PM
I've thought of something like this before too. A room (or rooms) that are just outside of the main prayer area. There could be gender segregated hang out areas which have sections for study, food/drink and also just for relaxing.

Beardo
04-04-2011, 07:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin
I've thought of something like this before too. A room (or rooms) that are just outside of the main prayer area. There could be gender segregated hang out areas which have sections for study, food/drink and also just for relaxing.
And the food and drink doesn't even have to be free. Just a minimal or subsidized charge, so it's not taking a toll on anyone. But there has to be round tables etc, a little-modern looking, and an air hockey table.

S_87
04-04-2011, 07:26 PM
Thats a good idea actually, if masjids here allowed women in thatd be good too :hiding:

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
04-04-2011, 08:10 PM
Would also be nice to have a group for the teens. Something similar to a club they can join. That would satisfy the need for peer contact and guide away from gangland mentality.

Alpha Dude
04-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Perhaps a sports area? Gym, swimming pool, basketball courts etc.

Alpha Dude
04-04-2011, 08:26 PM
This would end up being a massive community centre. We could put the mosque in the middle and when it's busy, all the other rooms can be used to extend the capacity. :D

Salahudeen
04-04-2011, 08:58 PM
I've dreamed of this often and wish I had the financial means to do it. In my dream it was a masjid with a gym,swimming pool, pool table and some arcade games. A cinema showing islamic movies and lectures. Also shops and restaurants, the shops and restaurants could be outsourced to companies like subway. I wish someone would start a super mosque project :( there's so many of us in UK we could do it

Ghazalah
04-04-2011, 09:02 PM
Some mosques do have this. My mosque is attached to a centre, where it has a youth club, cafe and tahfeeth classes held. So the mosque in itself is one building but attached to it is the centre. :)

Little_Lion
04-05-2011, 03:22 AM
Oh, I'd love to visit a place like that, Ghazalah. :)

The "super-mosque" idea isn't that far off from what is being proposed in NYC. They're planning a pool, basketball courts, study areas, and larger conference halls, in addition to the prayer room itself. No word on a Subway. :lol:

Beardo
04-05-2011, 04:27 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
Oh, I'd love to visit a place like that, Ghazalah. :)

The "super-mosque" idea isn't that far off from what is being proposed in NYC. They're planning a pool, basketball courts, study areas, and larger conference halls, in addition to the prayer room itself. No word on a Subway. :lol:
See, that's overdoing it. It'll intimidate people. Keep it small and close knit, I say! :)

Little_Lion
04-05-2011, 05:02 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo

See, that's overdoing it. It'll intimidate people. Keep it small and close knit, I say! :)
Thanks, Beardo. I suddenly got an image in my head of Islamic poetry readings in a small smoky brick room, where everyone was sipping tea, wearing sunglasses, and snapping their fingers in appreciation while looking bored in an oh-so-cool hipster way. Quite disturbing. O.o

Beardo
04-05-2011, 05:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Little_Lion
Thanks, Beardo. I suddenly got an image in my head of Islamic poetry readings in a small smoky brick room, where everyone was sipping tea, wearing sunglasses, and snapping their fingers in appreciation while looking bored in an oh-so-cool hipster way. Quite disturbing. O.o
LOL! Well... All I can say is.. only you. lol. Does my idea sound THAT far-fetched? It's do-able, I thought. And for a mosque, it should be quite affordable.

Little_Lion
04-05-2011, 05:33 AM

LOL! Well... All I can say is.. only you. lol. Does my idea sound THAT far-fetched? It's do-able, I thought. And for a mosque, it should be quite affordable.
Haha, no it definitely does not sound far-fetched at all! Have you thought about suggesting it to the one you attend?

ardianto
11-07-2013, 03:14 PM
:sl:

If mosques nowadays had a cafe or a room designated for the youth, kids would be more eager to go to the mosque. They'd study at the Mosque instead of starbucks or some other place.

Just my theory. It'd also create a sense of unity.
From what I've noticed in my place, cafe is ineffective. Visitor just eat or drink, then go. The most effective to make the youth more eager to stay in mosque is free wi-fi.

But youth in your place maybe different.

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
Would also be nice to have a group for the teens. Something similar to a club they can join. That would satisfy the need for peer contact and guide away from gangland mentality.
In my place club like this called "Ikatan Remaja Masjid" (mosque teens association). Not in all mosque, but in enough much mosque.

format_quote Originally Posted by Salahudeen
I've dreamed of this often and wish I had the financial means to do it. In my dream it was a masjid with a gym,swimming pool, pool table and some arcade games. A cinema showing islamic movies and lectures. Also shops and restaurants, the shops and restaurants could be outsourced to companies like subway. I wish someone would start a super mosque project :( there's so many of us in UK we could do it
Few big mosques in my place have shop, restaurant, library, conference rooms, even museum and radio station.

But gym, swimming pool, pool table, arcade games?. I am sure Ulama in my place will not approve it.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!