/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Maths Best way to revise

User29123
04-10-2011, 12:35 PM
:sl:

When I was at Secondary school I found maths very hard, still do at the end I basically got a low grade, but now since I am retaking it, what is the best thing to do? My Exam is in June I think or July, But I find it hard to understand maths and also actually find it hard to revise, ( a lot of stress, since I have IT course work on top). During the days, I do read my prays ( 4 times, 5 if on weekends). Aside from that when I wake up for Fajar at around 5am and finish around 5:15, I sometimes go asleep or just be on the computer, and I realise I can spend around whole day not revising, just learning computer stuff. When I do revise if I get stuck then that's it I kinda loose it, second I can't get away from the PC lol :embarrass, What shall I do?

(Before you ask , no facebook, I usual learn programming stuff and computer things (graphics, animation), But I am ahead of this, I need the maths first...!)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
elina
04-10-2011, 01:34 PM
salam brother asim, my son had a similar problem..... because he didnt understand or like maths he got distracted really easily..... this worked pretty well for him so may be worth a try.... make a revision timetable (your choice of how long to revise) and stick to it, if you are revising for a longish time schedule in breaks for drinks etc ........ turn off your pc, any games consoles etc ... make sure you have plenty of light, a nice comfy chair and plenty of room so you can spread out.... revising when you are uncomfortable or cramped adds to the frustration.... if you make notes highlight in different colours what is important or what you arent sure of etc........ bob bits of useful info on notes and stick them where you will see them often when you arent revising (ive done this myself with arabic i needed for salat and it worked well) if you get stuck have a few mins quiet time to clear your head, if you go back to it and you are still stuck then revise a different bit ........ oh and find out when the exam is :) inshallah you will be able to revise and get a higher grade this time :)

Chavundur
04-10-2011, 01:38 PM
1. You can set up your living, Our bodies are perfect machines and you have to look after it perfectly, As a Muslim you already have a five times prayer program,
2. Get your Concentration level high. You have to attain tranquility, Most of learning problems are related with concentration level. You didn't organized your brain cells, It is the product of Perfect one, You can't measure its capacity either, I mean If something goes wrong, it is because of our extravagance, Yo can take omega fish oil pills, If your blood type is b+ , you can limit white bread., I mean physiological features is very important for concentration end sport of course
3. Believe your success, According to a researcher

" Whenever there is a conflict between the will and the imagination, not only we not do that which We wish, but we do the exact opposite " Emile Coue .. put simply, if you think that would like to do something but feel you can't, the more you try the more difficult the task becomes.
4. Use pc programs, improve your short term memory power, then find good teacher on internet, relax , pray , As I said before your brain doesn't belong to you, try to use it exactly :.))

I tried to answer as an amateur student, I hope you can get what is beneficial for you.

Chavundur
04-10-2011, 01:44 PM
Omega 3 fish oil pills are very helpful for short term memory gain, also you have to be careful when You buy that kind of pills, beef gelatin is important for getting halal food.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Zafran
04-10-2011, 03:06 PM
salaam

dont revise on the computer
Do past exam papers
Get someone to help you and test you and even explain maths to you.
Get one of those revision books from WHSmiths if your from the UK.

peace

GuestFellow
04-10-2011, 11:25 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asim123
:sl:

When I was at Secondary school I found maths very hard, still do at the end I basically got a low grade, but now since I am retaking it, what is the best thing to do? My Exam is in June I think or July, But I find it hard to understand maths and also actually find it hard to revise, ( a lot of stress, since I have IT course work on top). During the days, I do read my prays ( 4 times, 5 if on weekends). Aside from that when I wake up for Fajar at around 5am and finish around 5:15, I sometimes go asleep or just be on the computer, and I realise I can spend around whole day not revising, just learning computer stuff. When I do revise if I get stuck then that's it I kinda loose it, second I can't get away from the PC lol :embarrass, What shall I do?

(Before you ask , no facebook, I usual learn programming stuff and computer things (graphics, animation), But I am ahead of this, I need the maths first...!)
:wa:

I personally have no difficulty revising. You need to be organised. I usually prepare a exam timetable, checklist, get my notes together and keep my desk tidy.

To focus on revising, think about the consequences of failing your exams. I do this and it works for me, but you need to be careful not to dwell on this too much.

I used to study AS statistics. I did not understood a word my teacher was babbling on about until I understood the basics.

So do you understand the basics of mathematics? You cannot understand the advance maths until you understand the basics. To deal with mathematical problems, you need to deal with it step by step. Once you understand how to deal with that maths problem, try similar questions. To get good at maths, you need to practice and practice.

Maths is not a hard subject. The step by step approach works for me.

User29123
05-26-2011, 07:29 PM
My exam is in about 2 weeks now so please make dua and also I need a job!

Alpha Dude
05-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Do many past papers. They usually follow the same patterns. It will really help you.

User29123
08-31-2011, 05:24 PM
I FAILED

Yes that is correct ^^, it was not an exact fail but I did not get the average grade I am supposed get last time I got a E now a D, I need a dam C or B..grrr..well in fact a B since unis are high now and they are looking for clever students not "dum" ones...^o)

I will revise my ass off all year now inshallah I will pass.. I need to make a resit.

(oh and yes the grade has improved but not the best improvement..)

GuestFellow
08-31-2011, 06:09 PM
^ Aim for an A! I always aim high, it won't hurt you.

User29123
08-31-2011, 06:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tragic Typos
^ Aim for an A! I always aim high, it won't hurt you.
Well I got a D so I doubt I can get a A...

but Allah knows best so Inshallah.

GuestFellow
08-31-2011, 07:41 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PoweredByGoogle
Well I got a D so I doubt I can get a A...

but Allah knows best so Inshallah.
I got a E for Physics but managed to get a B for science (I was a bit lazy). Download the syllabus from the Internet, you will get a better idea what might come up in the exams. I tend to learn and revise everything rather than focusing on topics that are likely to come up. If you work hard and are motivated, you can get an A.

إحسان
09-04-2011, 01:13 PM
Salam!

From the way you said secondary school, I'm guessing you live in the UK and you mean your Math GCSE?
You sound just like me in Year 10 and early Year 11, constantly on my laptop. I was actually predicted an A* and I took the exam early in last November 2010 and got a B and then did the exam with everyone else in June 2011 and I got an A* for Maths alhemdulillah.

I possibly have your best solution.

There's a Maths computer program called MathsWatch Higher GCSE
- It's flipping amazing. That's all I can say. Without it, I would've never gotten an A* and now I love Maths more than ever. (I lost interest due to my annoying Math teacher now my love for Maths has revived) I'm even doing Maths A Level this September inshAllah.
- You can try buy it online HERE - it comes as a CD - my school gave it to everyone for free but then we had to return it at the end of our exam. Or ask your school... HERE are some examples of what lessons are in the CD...
- If you're doing foundation, I'd suggest you change to Higher and get the Higher Tier CD. Aim high.

Trust me, it's worth it.

Take breaks on your IT stuff, and do some Maths, then go back to your IT stuff and back to Maths again. I recommend you to do at least 2-3 hours a day of Maths. And when you're done with the topics, go over them again and again; do practice questions, exam questions on the topic you just learnt... Then closer to the exam, around month or two, do past past papers of your chosen exam board (mine was Edexcel Linear) - go through past papers from 2002-2011. Non-calculator AND calculator. You'll find them on your Maths exam board website to download...

Obviously, it takes dedication so don't give up and inshAllah you'll do brilliantly! I'll do dua'a for you. And of course do as much as dua as you can for yourself! I wish you the best of luck! :shade:

User29123
09-04-2011, 01:49 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by *dua
Salam!

From the way you said secondary school, I'm guessing you live in the UK and you mean your Math GCSE?
You sound just like me in Year 10 and early Year 11, constantly on my laptop. I was actually predicted an A* and I took the exam early in last November 2010 and got a B and then did the exam with everyone else in June 2011 and I got an A* for Maths alhemdulillah.

- It's flipping amazing. That's all I can say. Without it, I would've never gotten an A* and now I love Maths more than ever. (I lost interest due to my annoying Math teacher now my love for Maths has revived) I'm even doing Maths A Level this September inshAllah.
- You can try buy it online HERE - it comes as a CD - my school gave it to everyone for free but then we had to return it at the end of our exam. Or ask your school... HERE are some examples of what lessons are in the CD...
- If you're doing foundation, I'd suggest you change to Higher and get the Higher Tier CD. Aim high.

Trust me, it's worth it.

Take breaks on your IT stuff, and do some Maths, then go back to your IT stuff and back to Maths again. I recommend you to do at least 2-3 hours a day of Maths. And when you're done with the topics, go over them again and again; do practice questions, exam questions on the topic you just learnt... Then closer to the exam, around month or two, do past past papers of your chosen exam board (mine was Edexcel Linear) - go through past papers from 2002-2011. Non-calculator AND calculator. You'll find them on your Maths exam board website to download...

Obviously, it takes dedication so don't give up and inshAllah you'll do brilliantly! I'll do dua'a for you. And of course do as much as dua as you can for yourself! I wish you the best of luck! :shade:
Nice but Khan academy is free!

إحسان
09-04-2011, 03:53 PM
^ I don't understand? Khan academy? :hmm:

User29123
09-04-2011, 04:52 PM
^ I don't understand? Khan academy? :hmm:
http://www.khanacademy.org/

T
he guy who founded this has won so many awards, even from Google and Microsoft, I think he is Muslim. He teachers all kinds of stuff Maths, Science, etc...its grown a lot. there are tons of videos there all for free. check the site out you will understand...

Alpha Dude
09-04-2011, 05:04 PM
I was watching Khan's TED talk on his academy a few days ago. Really awesome. Learning in the classroom like his plan would have been very enriching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTFEUsudhfs

piXie
09-06-2011, 08:12 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by PoweredByGoogle
http://www.khanacademy.org/

T
he guy who founded this has won so many awards, even from Google and Microsoft, I think he is Muslim. He teachers all kinds of stuff Maths, Science, etc...its grown a lot. there are tons of videos there all for free. check the site out you will understand...
very useful esp for homeschooling children.

Crystal
09-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I hated maths when I was at school but your best bet is to learn how to understand maths. I could sit for hours and hours doing questions from past exams papers get them right but still not understand them. When you understand what you are doing and why you are doing it everything is much easier and quicker! What I advise is ask your teacher to explain the steps - keep asking questions because teachers are there to teach you and you will often find when you don't understand something other people don't also so asking questions also benefits them. Good luck in your next exam.

Riana17
09-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Salam alaikkum

I am not good in recitation but I am fair in MATH, Math is the subject I can deal with lol.

As far as I could remember it was the easiest for me rather than to recite the definition of a word or re-write a poem or understanding the languages etc.

All I know I understand the basic Mathematical formula, plus one must be good in analyzing

Many people will have the same mathematical answer but varies in their techniques to solve it. And they are both correct unless one guesses it and cannot present the proof of how he gets the results

Salam

User29123
12-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Salam!

Trust me, it's worth it.

Ha My mate just told me about it I am willing to buy it but may college do not sell it and you can't buy it from there...need to be school/college..

syilla
12-30-2011, 03:07 AM
akhi maths are all about practice. So all you have to do is concentrate on your weakest topic for a week then only go to another topic/subject. the main thing are repetition and focus.

syilla
12-30-2011, 08:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tomato
I was watching Khan's TED talk on his academy a few days ago. Really awesome. Learning in the classroom like his plan would have been very enriching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTFEUsudhfs
subhanallah amazing video thank you for sharing

sis muslimah
01-07-2012, 01:07 AM
make sure you do every past paper you can find :) they really do help

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!