/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Aqiqah Practices

pacuthbert
04-17-2011, 03:07 PM
Hi,

I was just wondering, my partner and I are both vegan muslims. We're having a child soon are interested in do doing the aqiqah once the baby is born.

My understanding of aqiqah is that you or a guardian actually have to slaughter an animal or two. My only problem is having to slaughter the animal in the first place and we don't believe intentionally killing an animal. The main purpose though is to distribute 1/3 to the poor, 1/3 to family/friends and the 1/3 to yourself. So having that last part in mind can aqiqah still be performed using our garden vegetables and distributing the same portion as specified?

I know it's not compulsory, so I'd appreciate answers that don't involve answers along the line of "don't bother doing it then if you don't want to slaughter it".

Thank you for helping us out.

Cheers

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
04-23-2011, 08:17 AM
Maybe you can get someone else to slaughter the lambs/goats for you?

And congratulations on your child birth!

al yunan
05-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Salam Dear pacuthburt,
The idea of Dahb (ceremonial slaughter) is by no means cruel, yes it means ending an animal's life and no amount of words will change that. Still it's not murder, slaughter or savage. Some believe it's meant to remind us of Ibrahim A.S.
I myself even though I'm not a vegetarian or vegan had great difficulty in performing Dahb for the Aid, once done only then did I realise why it asked of us. (I've been in the army but this is different)
The emotional involvement is beyond description and has changed me in many ways. Since you are a vegan it would probably mean ever more to you. One should also seek expert advice in how to perform Dahb and fully understand the rules.

I don't know if you are new Muslims or not but be very careful not to mix non Islamic sentiments with Islam. You may of course choose to eat what you will but I you sure it's not sentiment based ? What of your child, will it not be breastfed ?
I would strongly advice you to dwell deeper into Tawhid and to the Quran and its Tafsir especially on verses about food and admonitions. People's advice bears no weight in Qiyamat you need to find your own truth as per Allah S.W.T's words in Surah Takathur "yakin mutmaina" to believe with your own eyes.

I apologise if my answer is not what you would like to hear or upsets you but it's a honest one drawn on experience and not theory and with the best of intentions.
May Allah S.W.T grant you clarity.
Masalam

Tawangar
05-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Salamu 'alaykum.
You cannot replace the aqiqa animal with vegetables brother. However what you can do is avoid slaughtering the animal yourself. Rather get it done by someone else. WS.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
al yunan
06-04-2011, 05:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tawangar
Salamu 'alaykum.
You cannot replace the aqiqa animal with vegetables brother. However what you can do is avoid slaughtering the animal yourself. Rather get it done by someone else. WS.
walaikum assalam,

Since this section is about methodology could you offer us any info as to better technics from personal or observed in connection with Dahb especialy in how to get max blood flow before the animal dies ?
Your input would be much appreciated.

Masalam

Tawangar
06-12-2011, 03:22 PM
Salam alaikum brother.
Unfortunately I cannot offer anything constructive besides using the Islamic method.
1) Sharpen the knife to the maximum extent possible. This causes the cut in the blood vessel to be clean and does not allow quick clotting to occur. Thus bleeding occurs for a longer time.
2) Position the animal properly and ensure that the blood is given enough time to flow.
Wa salam.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!