/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Is this cheating?

Beardo
04-19-2011, 04:40 AM
:sl:

So my friend gave me his exams from last year. And we believe the professor uses the same exams every year. I'm almost 100% positive of that. The professor gives us a practice test, but it's not at all like the real test.

Now, I have the real exams in hand now, Jazax to my dear friend. But is it cheating if I use them? Not during the test, but studying them at home... I mean, it *is* floating around. Though, most students probably don't have the same opportunity I had...

And if it affects your decision any, the class is CALCULUS. :skeleton:

And finally, if you were given the exams and in my situation, what would you do?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Aprender
04-19-2011, 05:16 AM
Yes, it is cheating. Seeing the exam beforehand is cheating.

If I was in your situation, I wouldn't use the exams to study from. I think you should have enough confidence in yourself to do well on the exams, brother. I took calculus and almost failed lol, but I went to extra study sessions until I understood that wicked subject:exhausted

The reason why I say I wouldn't use it is because when I was in high school, students did this. As a result I lost my full ride scholarship opportunity because they weren't playing by the rules. I lost out because of the wrong that they did. I understand that it happens in school, especially at the university level, but I think you should be the noble one and take the class the right way. Don't do what everyone else is doing.

It would bother me if I took a test and not be challenged by it because I already knew what was coming my way. I wouldn't be proud of myself at all.

CosmicPathos
04-19-2011, 05:24 AM
i do not think it is cheating. If its not illegal to get past exam somehow, how does using the past exam = cheating? if your friend secretly got his exam questions out after writing his exam and is now giving them to you then yes thats cheating (I would argue that even this is not cheating as its his right to get his exam back and its his right to share that exam with anyone he wishes unless he initially agreed with the prof's condition that your friend will not take the exam out afterwards). but if its free knowledge then its not cheating. I am sure some other ppl in your class will ask their friends, who took the class last year, about what questions were on exam. Is that cheating? Cheating is when you seek help by illegal means DURING the exam or you get the ACTUAL exam that your prof made out somehow.

Aprender
04-19-2011, 05:28 AM
Well the reason why I said it was cheating is because he said he was sure 100% that it was the same exam from last year.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Beardo
04-19-2011, 05:28 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
It would bother me if I took a test and not be challenged by it because I already knew what was coming my way. I wouldn't be proud of myself at all.
That's my concern. I heard the final exam is hard though. But yeah, I can see where you're coming from. =/

format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
i do not think it is cheating. If its not illegal to get past exam somehow, how does using the past exam = cheating? if your friend secretly got his exam questions out after writing his exam and is now giving them to you then yes thats cheating. but if its free knowledge then its not cheating. I am sure some other ppl in your class will ask their friends, who took the class last year, about what questions were on exam. Is that cheating? Cheating is when you seek help by illegal means DURING the exam or you get the ACTUAL exam that your prof made out somehow.
That's exactly what I was thinking! I do have a friend who sits behind me who said his friend gave him the exams.

Any other thoughts, anyone?

CosmicPathos
04-19-2011, 05:31 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Aprender
Well the reason why I said it was cheating is because he said he was sure 100% that it was the same exam from last year.
That does not matter. If he knows the exam is the same, then the prof knows that too. And if the prof knows that ppl can get last year exams yet he makes similar exams, then its prof's fault, not student's.

ardianto
04-19-2011, 06:36 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
That does not matter. If he knows the exam is the same, then the prof knows that too. And if the prof knows that ppl can get last year exams yet he makes similar exams, then its prof's fault, not student's.
Agree. Students in my place use the past exams for study, and they got these from their teachers. But teachers here never give same exams every year.

Tyrion
04-19-2011, 06:42 AM
Will your lack of calculus knowledge have the potential to kill someone in the future? (Engineering failures or something?) If so, then yes, it's cheating and you should study for real. If not, then knock yourself out.

aamirsaab
04-19-2011, 05:14 PM
It's not cheating. Past paper is past paper. You as a student should be revising from past papers. Therefore, you should revise from the past paper.

Go for it!

GuestFellow
04-19-2011, 05:46 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Beardo
And finally, if you were given the exams and in my situation, what would you do?
It is a past paper. Use it.

I wish I had the answers for my upcoming exams... :(

Ansariyah
04-19-2011, 06:49 PM
They are waay more strict about things like this in our schools. The exams are never exactly the same every year. They always change them, and make things more complex & confusing.

Do u think u are cheating ? Allah knows best I dont know.

Endymion
04-19-2011, 07:02 PM
I dont think thats cheating,just an oppurtunity :D Go for it.The Profeesor should know that students can use these exam papers as an idea.Its his responsibility to change it every year but if does'nt think its neccessary,than thats fine.But keep in mind he might change the question paper,may be he is testing students like that :p
If you have a simple option,go for it.Life itself bring tests for us,we dont need to jump in tests our self :statisfie

Live simply.Be happy :shade:

Samiro
04-20-2011, 07:28 PM
If it's a past paper then its fine I think. If someone stole the upcoming exam however then its not.

One time someone copied the physics exam from the teacher's computer to his USB stick, but I didnt use it and was proud of myself I didnt.

Haya emaan
04-20-2011, 07:40 PM
here we use our past papers for studying for exams.. commonly known as our "5 years"... they are available at shops.. and 80 to 90% paper is from that.. how can it be a cheating when nothing illegal done to find it..

salman11246
04-22-2011, 06:42 PM
No. You used the past exam to study the subject. Unless it's illegal to get past exams, it's not cheating. People do that for SATs and even MCATs.

Yanal
04-24-2011, 10:03 PM
I'd say don't study off it. Just try to improve your foundations of the class,revise all you can, ask your tutor (assuming you have one) for some review sheets and such.

Muezzin
04-24-2011, 10:18 PM

So my friend gave me his exams from last year. And we believe the professor uses the same exams every year. I'm almost 100% positive of that. The professor gives us a practice test, but it's not at all like the real test.

Now, I have the real exams in hand now, Jazax to my dear friend. But is it cheating if I use them? Not during the test, but studying them at home... I mean, it *is* floating around. Though, most students probably don't have the same opportunity I had...

And if it affects your decision any, the class is CALCULUS. :skeleton:

If the professor uses the same exam each year, why does he allow students to take a copy of it?

How exactly did your friend obtain last year's exam? Did he just take it after he sat it? Surely all his classmates would have done the same?

Also, is this test the final exam or a mock exam? Because in the UK at least, final exams tend to be set by external examiners rather than by professors of the same institution.

Woodrow
04-25-2011, 12:31 AM
Just food for thought. During the time I was doing a teaching fellowship. I would leave a copy of upcoming exams in my desk drawer-----with close but wrong answers.

The look of surprise after returning the graded papers was quite hilarious

The best and fully permissible method would be to find a previous year student who got a good grade and get him to tutor you.

Ramadhan
04-25-2011, 02:01 AM
So my friend gave me his exams from last year. And we believe the professor uses the same exams every year. I'm almost 100% positive of that. The professor gives us a practice test, but it's not at all like the real test. Now, I have the real exams in hand now, Jazax to my dear friend. But is it cheating if I use them? Not during the test, but studying them at home... I mean, it *is* floating around. Though, most students probably don't have the same opportunity I had...

So the exams is identical to last year's??
First off, what a lazy professor! They should have made new exams each year, even if they only change the numbers.
Second, not it's not cheating, because it's only last years exams, not this year exams even if you have a hunch it will be the same/similar. The fault is on your professor. Unless your university has very strict and official policy to prohibit distribution of past exams papers and make it illegal to study past exams papers, I cannot see how it is cheating.
When I was still a college student, in my uni, almost all if not all past years exams can be found in the library, which forced the better professors to be creative with new exams. It must been the official university policy.
I always thought it's the same way in every other unis and that it's a universal policy. But maybe only in Australia, although I'm sure some of my friends who studied in other countries also said the same thing about past exams papers.

And if it affects your decision any, the class is CALCULUS.
Calculus in the first year was indeed boring, until you get to the series (euler, taylor) and the multivariables.

sherz_umr
04-25-2011, 02:35 AM
we study from past papers (both our univrsty nd othr univ papers)..infact, we hav to..thts hw v get the importnt questns tht almost always repeats..if the teacher knows it..he must be tryin to help (or is too lazy to make anothr qp)..so i dont thnk its wrong.

Considering
05-23-2011, 11:52 PM
What do you think your professor would say if you told him you had last year's test?

If you would be afraid that he would find out, then perhaps that's a hint...

Jalal~
06-06-2011, 03:56 AM
wow this a very tough one, the right decision is not to use the exam.
But since this is calculas, i can help you.
See, i noticed that my teacher usually gets all her questions from previous AP Calculus Exams that are released in order to get questions that will be similar to the AP Final. So just google AP Calculus exams or something along those lines and study from those.

Jalal~
06-06-2011, 04:01 AM
hey heres what scholars say about Cheating, i read this a few months ago and since then, Ive never cheated on a test, Masha Allah.
islam-qa com/en/ref/22845/cheating
make sure to add the dot before com and remove the spaces, lol. Im not a full member, so i cant post links ;]

yasirslm
06-21-2012, 09:15 AM
Report it to your College/School...On urgent basis

Periwinkle18
06-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Thank God it's not cheating :p I used to get past papers too n the exact same thing used to come in the paper lol Buh you do have to practice n study. Even though I used to have the paper I'm my hand I would study everything just in case they give sumfin else

Signor
06-21-2012, 12:03 PM
This cannot be cheating,If this would be then I will be the best among cheaters because I've to use only past papers to take a look into a future paper.However as the brothers and sisters suggested above,you should be prepared for than "that" paper.

Assalamu Alaikum

patientgrace
06-24-2012, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't say it is considered "cheating" if the professor is knowingly and willingly giving his students the same copy year after year. I think it is all in how you are using the material.. if you are just memorizing it to get an easy grade on the test, then yes, I consider that to be a form of cheating. However, if you are actually using it to actually study it and you are truly learning from it, then no. I just would be very careful and not memorize the exact format of the test, it would really be bad if you "memorized" the information instead of "learning" it and the test turned out to be entirely different.

Scimitar
06-24-2012, 05:20 PM
And we believe the professor uses the same exams every year. I'm almost 100% positive of that.
But how can you be certain? How about asking the teacher if he uses the same exam papers year in year out? This will show real sincerity in wanting to know if what you will do is cheating a paper or just doing research / revision.

Ofcourse, you can always just study calculus until you speak in numbers :D

Scimi

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!