/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Shahadah

LauraB
04-26-2011, 11:04 AM
Where can you do shahadah's is it just the mosque?
I've seen like events etc. on youtube - wouldn't have a clue where they are!

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
04-26-2011, 11:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by LauraB
Where can you do shahadah's is it just the mosque? I've seen like events etc. on youtube - wouldn't have a clue where they are!
You can make shahada by yourself - alone- in your own room.

Shahada is proclamation by mouth (speaking) and by heart that you believe there is no God but God and that Muhammad SAW is His messenger.
(Laa Illaaha ilallaahu Muhammad ur rasulullah).

However, it would be much better if muslims in your area are also aware that you've become muslim so they can give you support. As a mu'alaf (new revert), you will also have specific rights that the muslim community in your area need to fulfill. So you may want to search the nearest masjid, but please also make sure that the imam of masjid has the correct aqeedah (creed).

These videos might help:

http://www.islamreligion.com/videos/2403/

http://www.islamreligion.com/videos/2663/

LauraB
04-26-2011, 11:39 AM
What do you mean by asking the imam of masjid the correct aqeedah (creed)?

I would prefer to say shahadah infront of somebody & to help me pronounce it right.
I have a mosque just down the road.. but i'm not comfortable about going there so I'll go to one further away - I will ring tomorrow :)

Perseveranze
04-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Peace,

Can do Shahada anywhere, pretty much whenever you feel ready to take the step, Inshallah.

I think it's good to see people do Shahada on youtube, as I feel it's encouraging for other people who also are thinking about taking Shahada, so it's like Dawah aswell.

Glory be to God alone.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
elina
04-26-2011, 01:32 PM
when i made shahada i thought you needed 2 witnesses..... there was only my husband around when i was ready to do it so we 'phoned a friend' as the other witness...

aadil77
04-26-2011, 02:43 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by elina
when i made shahada i thought you needed 2 witnesses..... there was only my husband around when i was ready to do it so we 'phoned a friend' as the other witness...
mashAllah sounds like a game of who wants to be a millionaire

Ramadhan
04-26-2011, 02:54 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by elina
Having witnesses is not requirement, and certainly there is no requirement to have 1 or 2 or any particular number of witnesses.
But since we dont live alone, and since we live in society, it is advisable to have witnesses so that the muslim community have knowledge that you have reverted to Islam.
This is important since the community has rights over you and you have rights over the community.
For example, if you die soon after you reverted, you need to be buried in proper Islamic burial, then how will the community be able to do that if they don't know you've become a muslim.
As a mu'alaf you are also eligible to receive zakah, just in case you need them. etc.

This is a good article on shahada:
http://muttaqun.com/shahada.html

What do you mean by asking the imam of masjid the correct aqeedah (creed)?
Please beware that there are also shi'a mosques whose imams may not have the correct aqeedah and do not hold fast to the Qur'an and as sunnah of Rasulullah SAW.

LauraB
04-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Thanks, yes have heard of Shia muslims and I do think we have a few mosques where I live - i live in an mostly pakistani community! There is also Sunni mosques.. may i ask you Naidamar.. what is a sufi? I've had a look at mosques around my area and just came across this.

Muslim Woman
04-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Salaam

u may utter the Shahada right now - there is no diety but Allah and Muhammed is His slave and messenger and boooommmm
u will be a Muslim :D

no need to utter in front of anyone - it's not a must .

LauraB
04-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Hi Muslim Women!

But before you say it - you need to do full ablution right?

Zafran
04-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Thanks, yes have heard of Shia muslims and I do think we have a few mosques where I live - i live in an mostly pakistani community! There is also Sunni mosques.. may i ask you Naidamar.. what is a sufi? I've had a look at mosques around my area and just came across this.
Salaam

sufis are people that focus on the internal part of Islam known as Tasawuff - But the person has to be a qualified scholar - you dont have to worry about this Just stick with the basics for now like 5 pillars

peace

Muslim Woman
04-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Salaam/Peace

I read that it's better if u have a bath but it's not a must but recommended.

And God knows Best.

Zafran
04-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Please delete this one double post Mods - thanks peace

LauraB
04-26-2011, 04:47 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Zafran
Salaam

sufis are people that focus on the internal part of Islam known as Tasawuff - But the person has to be a qualified scholar - you dont have to worry about this Just stick with the basics for now like 5 pillars

peace
Thanks, Will do.. else it may get a little confusing for me :)

LauraB
04-26-2011, 04:48 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Muslim Woman
Salaam/Peace

I read that it's better if u have a bath but it's not a must but recommended.

And God knows Best.
Thanks muchly!

Muslim Woman
04-26-2011, 04:53 PM
Salaam

a related link.

You should not delay in becoming a Muslim

If someone advices you to delay your conversion to Islam. This is also incorrect. If you believe Islam is the truth then you should not delay your conversion to Islam. You should convert immediately because we are given a certain lifespan. Since we do not know when we are going to die. Not even a minute should be lost as your time to leave this life may be up the next minute.

How to declare the Shahadah

A person does NOT need to do a course or obtain a certificate to become a Muslim.

If there are no Majids (Mosques) and Muslims in your area; and you do not ahve a means of contacting any Muslims via phone or online then you can declare the Shahadah to your self.

At MuslimConverts.com we have helped brothers and sisters say the Shahadah via phone and via the Net. So if you wish for us to go through it with you step by step. Please do no not hesitate to leave us a message and we can arrange an online meeting at a mutually convenient time.

http://www.muslimconverts.com/howtoconvert/index.htm

Ramadhan
04-26-2011, 06:39 PM
But before you say it - you need to do full ablution right?
yes, it is much better if you have full shower/bath beforehand, and then do the ablution.

Salafi1407
04-26-2011, 06:49 PM
Mashallah this is great news, do not delay just take the shahada. Use the youtube videos if needs be, go to your local mosque if possible (getting support from others will be really good for a new revert). I think you shouldn't worry about the different sects at the moment, stay far away from the shia and I would have also said sufis as well but I fear I will get shot down in this forum if I say that. But again you shouldn't be worrying about that too much at the mo, stick with the basics. Learn the wudhu and prayer and recitation. And Inshallah Allah will guide to the right path.

By the way what made you make this life changing decision?

LauraB
04-26-2011, 07:31 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Salafi1407

By the way what made you make this life changing decision?
Hi Salafi

I really don't know but I'm glad I did.. I have lived in a mainly muslim community all of my life.. so in some respect, my mind has always been open/curious? I was very strong on my views that i'd never drink etc up until the age of 18 where I got in with the wrong crowd and well.. went a little off track.. clubbing & so on. I can say I was truly not happy then. I don't know what it was that made me come off that track.. but all I can think of is the thought that there must be more to life. Like i remember at a funeral and the coffin is in front of you, you kind of have a deep think into is this what happens - you die and end up in a box and that's it? For me, that broke my heart & I had to seek. I have felt there is more to life but I never knew what, so I just started reading the quran as I was curious and when I read it I feel at peace (I can't explain that). I have since given up things to see if I can live in without them.. I've stopped drinking alcohol, have stopped eating all gelatin products and also only eat halal meat. I know that the things I just mentioned are not the only things you have to give up in Islam but I feel its a start.. & it's definitley going in the right direction. I am just scared I will mess up when I'm a muslim, I don't want to be a failure!

Sorry for the essay but this is my explanation :)

SlaveOfGod
04-26-2011, 11:32 PM
:sl:

al7amdulillah and welcome to the family inshallah

format_quote Originally Posted by
If you believe Islam is the truth then you should not delay your conversion to Islam. You should convert immediately because we are given a certain lifespan. Since we do not know when we are going to die. Not even a minute should be lost as your time to leave this life may be up the next minute.
This was worth quoting ^

format_quote Originally Posted by
Hi Salafi

I really don't know but I'm glad I did.. I have lived in a mainly muslim community all of my life.. so in some respect, my mind has always been open/curious? I was very strong on my views that i'd never drink etc up until the age of 18 where I got in with the wrong crowd and well.. went a little off track.. clubbing & so on. I can say I was truly not happy then. I don't know what it was that made me come off that track.. but all I can think of is the thought that there must be more to life. Like i remember at a funeral and the coffin is in front of you, you kind of have a deep think into is this what happens - you die and end up in a box and that's it? For me, that broke my heart & I had to seek. I have felt there is more to life but I never knew what, so I just started reading the quran as I was curious and when I read it I feel at peace (I can't explain that). I have since given up things to see if I can live in without them.. I've stopped drinking alcohol, have stopped eating all gelatin products and also only eat halal meat. I know that the things I just mentioned are not the only things you have to give up in Islam but I feel its a start.. & it's definitley going in the right direction. I am just scared I will mess up when I'm a muslim, I don't want to be a failure!

Sorry for the essay but this is my explanation
Pshh believe it or not your story's pretty short, but as you said, a start is a start al7amdulillah and it is a good one at that.

All the best inshallah

Salafi1407
04-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Hi Salafi

Sorry for the essay but this is my explanation :)
Hi Laura

That is very very good to hear. Death is the thing that should make EVERYONE contemplate life, and that is what I always fear for myself and for everyone else. In that after we die, that cannot be it? Are we just going to fade out or rot in a dark box? That clearly refutes atheism and that would just be a purely sad ending to anyones lives. There has to be something more to life. Even as Muslims we are encouraged to visit the graves to remember death and therefore think about our lives. We need the constant reminders.

And Laura do not worry at all about messing up or being a failure. We all do it, no one and I mean NO ONE is perfect except for Mohammad (saw) who never made mistakes. But we will and have made mistakes. Just try to stay away from shirk (associating partners with Allah), find good sisters to be around (that will prevent you from sinning), seek a lot of knowledge, therefore building your imaan (faith). Allah says in the Quran that he may forgive every sin except for shirk if you die upon it, as long as you repent. Because Allah is the all-forgiving. So never consider yourself a failure even if you sin, if you are a Muslim with pure monotheistic views you are a winner :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!