/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian muslims?

GirlLeastLikely
04-26-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm vegetarian and have been so for many years. Is it ok for muslims to be vegetarian or would a vegetarian who converted have to start eating halal meat?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
maryambintjared
04-26-2011, 07:43 PM
I was going to ask the same question! I've just reverted, and have been vegetarian for nearly sixteen years.

Ansariyah
04-26-2011, 07:55 PM
Theres nothing wrong with being Vegeterian. Theres nothing in Islam that says we have to eat meat. Hope that answers the Question, eat healthy!

CosmicPathos
04-26-2011, 08:09 PM
But I think its good to sacrifice animals on eid ul adha if you can afford to. And I believe if you go for Hajj then you have to sacrifice an animal. Please correct me if i am wrong.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Woodrow
04-26-2011, 08:12 PM
No problem to being vegetarian as long as we do not place any religious significance for being so.

Alpha Dude
04-26-2011, 08:22 PM
:sl:

As long as you don't think there is anything wrong with meat eating, it should be okay to consider yourself vegitarian. :)

Note though, on Eid ul Adha, we are encouraged to slaughter an animal (a recognised sunnah of Prophet Ibrahim Alaihe Salam). In some schools of thought, this ritual sacrifice is near cumpolsory.

Ansariyah
04-26-2011, 08:30 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Bedouin

As long as you don't think there is anything wrong with meat eating, it should be okay to consider yourself vegitarian. :)

Note though, on Eid ul Adha, we are encouraged to slaughter an animal (a recognised sunnah of Prophet Ibrahim Alaihe Salam). In some schools of thought, this ritual sacrifice is near cumpolsory.
I'm pretty certain that doesnt mean that we have to eat the meat. There are people who cant eat meat due to health risks or even personal choice.

sabr*
04-26-2011, 08:32 PM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

Akhi Woodrow:

there are religious reasons a Muslim would adopt the vegetarian diet. When there are no Zabihah or halal meats and foods.

(The term zabiha comes from the Arabic root zahaba, which means “to kill (by slitting the throat); to slaughter, butcher, to murder, slay; to sacrifice.” So, zabiha meat is meat slaughtered by slitting the throat of
the animal)

Performing du'a (supplication) over non Zabihah or non Halal food doesn't make it halal. Contrary to common practice by Muslims in Western countries.

Jazakumullahu Khair

Chavundur
04-26-2011, 08:41 PM
I think ,it changes according to purpose as Woodrow brother wrote above, If you are vegetarian because of hurting animals, It's not proper, because nobody can be more compassionate than Allah and We don't have to try to be kind insolently rather than Allah as we know further details about giving life or taking life, There should not be buddhistic intentions. And There are some essential amino-acids only provided with eating meat, What I mean, Especially for spiritual capabilities of hearth and mind, eating one portion of meal at least every 40 days are vital for heart and advised ( I couldn't remember Islamic resources). Intention is important in this matter.

sabr*
04-26-2011, 08:46 PM

Muslims who adopt the vegan diet hopefully are aware they are not adopting the vegan lifestyle promoted by the Non Muslims who demonize eating meat or killing animals. A practicing Muslim has a choice to eat anything Halal they desire and are not forced to eat what they don't desire.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 65, Number 320:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet never criticized any food (he was invited to) but he used to eat if he liked the food, and leave it if he disliked.

REREAD! For those intent on imposing what they eat on others!

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 65, Number 306:

Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

Allah's Apostle said, "A believer eats in one intestine (is satisfied with a little food), and a kafir (unbeliever) or a hypocrite eats in seven intestines (eats too much)."

Jazakumullahu Khair

Ramadhan
04-27-2011, 01:10 AM
You can be a vegetarian as long as you don't view eating meat in itself as wrong.
Remember that Allah creates everything and he has infinite wisdom and knowledge what is good and allowed for us and what is not good and not allowed for us and He is The merciful. So if you think eating meat is wrong in itself, you put yourself in the position of arrogance and can fall into shirk because you believe your intellect and mercy as greater than Allah.
However, there are meats and animals which are not allowed for us to eat, and the slaughter needs to be done in the manner prescribed in Islam that lessen the suffering of animals.

Here's a good article on animal rights in Islam:
http://islam.thetruecall.com/modules...rticle&sid=296

maryambintjared
04-27-2011, 02:19 PM
What a beautiful story, about the Prophet (peace be up him) cutting part of his robe so that a cat could remain dozing on it. How many people would be so compassionate towards a cat? I also love the description of how, when he and his companion were leaving the cave they hid in, they stepped very carefully over the nest of a rock dove. The Prophet, peace be upon him, was obviously an extremely gentle human being. My son also loves the story of the man who fed water to a thirsty dog. Islam really is a merciful way.

GirlLeastLikely
04-27-2011, 09:12 PM
The question about eating meat has never been an intellectual question for me. It's just a feeling I have. As soon as I was old enough to understand what meat was I just couldn't do it. Eating meat wasn't an option for me. I still remember when I was 13 and sat at the table realizing what I had just put in my mouth, it broke my heart. Now when I walk by McDonalds and feel the smell from there I feel physically sick. I actually avoid places where I know it will smell of meat. I could never go to a restaurant with a friend and see them eat meat. I don't know. I have never really thought about it intellectually. It's just the way I feel.

Hamza Asadullah
04-28-2011, 02:26 AM
Asalaamu alaikum, thank you for the question. If you think of it intellectually herbivores have molars to chew on plant matter and carnivores have canines to rip into meat. Us humans have both molars to chew plant matter and canines to rip apart meat. Thetefore we are omnivores which means we eat both plant matter and meat. If we were meant to eat just plant matter then why do we have canine teeth?

Also how can it be cruel to kill animals when animals themselves kill other animals for consumption. Does that mean animals are also cruel? Another point is that just because we cannot hear plants scream it does not mean that they do not feel pain but it is a fact that plants also feel pain and are very much alive. Dr Zakir Naik once gave an example that if one had a disabled sibling who could not speak hear or see dors that mean that sibling should be treated any different due to his disabilities? In the sameway why should plants be treated any different to animals when they also feel pain and also scream when in pain but it is just that we cannot hear it because it is at such a frequancy that it is impossible for humans to hear.

So therefore we were naturally created to eat both plants and animals. It maybe that something in your childhood put you off meat and ever since you have had a fear connected to eating it or even coming anywhere near it. Islamically it is perfectley acceptable for you to remain vegitarean if you so wish to as long as you do not aborr those who eat meat and condem meat eating.

At Hajj time you can just pay someone to slaughter and distribute an animal to the poor on your behalf like most of us do which means you dont even get to see the animal.

If you have any other questions at all then please do not hesitate to ask.

And Allah knows best in all matters

Ramadhan
04-28-2011, 02:48 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by GirlLeastLikely
The question about eating meat has never been an intellectual question for me. It's just a feeling I have. As soon as I was old enough to understand what meat was I just couldn't do it. Eating meat wasn't an option for me. I still remember when I was 13 and sat at the table realizing what I had just put in my mouth, it broke my heart. Now when I walk by McDonalds and feel the smell from there I feel physically sick. I actually avoid places where I know it will smell of meat. I could never go to a restaurant with a friend and see them eat meat. I don't know. I have never really thought about it intellectually. It's just the way I feel.
Well, seeing that you live in a non-muslim country where it might be difficult to procure halal meat, being natural vegetarian might be a blessing to you.
But you should also be aware that many processed products/food may contain haram ingredients, such as the use of meat gelatin, so you need to be careful when buying such products.

GirlLeastLikely
05-02-2011, 02:05 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Hamza81
Asalaamu alaikum, thank you for the question. If you think of it intellectually herbivores have molars to chew on plant matter and carnivores have canines to rip into meat. Us humans have both molars to chew plant matter and canines to rip apart meat. Thetefore we are omnivores which means we eat both plant matter and meat. If we were meant to eat just plant matter then why do we have canine teeth?

Also how can it be cruel to kill animals when animals themselves kill other animals for consumption. Does that mean animals are also cruel? Another point is that just because we cannot hear plants scream it does not mean that they do not feel pain but it is a fact that plants also feel pain and are very much alive. Dr Zakir Naik once gave an example that if one had a disabled sibling who could not speak hear or see dors that mean that sibling should be treated any different due to his disabilities? In the sameway why should plants be treated any different to animals when they also feel pain and also scream when in pain but it is just that we cannot hear it because it is at such a frequancy that it is impossible for humans to hear.

So therefore we were naturally created to eat both plants and animals. It maybe that something in your childhood put you off meat and ever since you have had a fear connected to eating it or even coming anywhere near it. Islamically it is perfectley acceptable for you to remain vegitarean if you so wish to as long as you do not aborr those who eat meat and condem meat eating.

At Hajj time you can just pay someone to slaughter and distribute an animal to the poor on your behalf like most of us do which means you dont even get to see the animal.

If you have any other questions at all then please do not hesitate to ask.

That might be true but research has proven that vegetarians are far less likely to suffer from obesity, coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, some diet related forms of cancer and a lot of other diseases. So I'm convinced that it's more healthy for me to be vegetarian than eating meat. And I've always felt that I'm not meant to eat meat, that it's wrong for me. To be honest I don't think I could ever have anything to do with killing animals. I would much rather spend that amount of money on making vegetarian food for the poor, which, if you look at what meat costs today, probably would feed more people. It's just the way I feel, I can't help it.

Hamza Asadullah
05-03-2011, 03:16 AM
That might be true but research has proven that vegetarians are far less likely to suffer from obesity, coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, some diet related forms of cancer and a lot of other diseases. So I'm convinced that it's more healthy for me to be vegetarian than eating meat. And I've always felt that I'm not meant to eat meat, that it's wrong for me. To be honest I don't think I could ever have anything to do with killing animals. I would much rather spend that amount of money on making vegetarian food for the poor, which, if you look at what meat costs today, probably would feed more people. It's just the way I feel, I can't help it.
Research has also proved that there is no real alternative for protein than eating meat as it is far superiour than vegitable protein. But as with anything in life one must not eat meat in excess and that can also apply to doing anything in excess.

What do you say about animals who kill other animals in order to eat them. Do you think it is cruel? Did you know that when you kill a plant it actually feels pain but it is just that you cannot hear it scream?

As i have already mentioned a Muslim is perfectly entitled to be a vegitarean as long as they do not think that slaughtering animals for human consumption or eating meat is bad or wrong.

Ramadhan
05-03-2011, 03:45 AM
That might be true but research has proven that vegetarians are far less likely to suffer from obesity, coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, some diet related forms of cancer and a lot of other diseases.
Did those research also take into account the complete lifestyles of the subjects?

Please remember that Islam provides the best guidance for complete lifestyles, not just eating meat or vegetarian.

al yunan
05-03-2011, 04:08 AM
Salam to all,
The way things are going soon we will have a new sect Ahli suni wal Vegetarian wa Vegan Jammah.
The verses about making what is Halal to Haram and "Fabiayi ala Rabbi koumatu kathiban" ?
What interesting times we are living in !
Masalam

Ramadhan
05-03-2011, 10:56 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan
The verses about making what is Halal to Haram and "Fabiayi ala Rabbi koumatu kathiban" ?
Also these verses:
You who believe! Do not make haram the good things which Allah has made halal for you, and do not transgress; indeed, Allah does not like the transgressors. And eat of what Allah has provided for you, lawful and good, and fear Allah, in Whom you are believers. (5:87-88)

"They say, "these are cattle and tillage sacrosanct; none shall eat them, but whom we will'-so they assert -'and cattle whose backs have been forbidden and cattle over which they mention not the name of God'. All that they say, forging against God. He will assuredly recompense them for what they were forging" (QS. Al-Ana'm 138).

Say (O Muhammad SAW to these polytheists): "Tell me, what provision Allah has sent down to you! And you have made of it lawful and unlawful." Say (O Muhammad SAW): "Has Allah permitted you (to do so), or do you invent a lie against Allah?" (QS. 10:59)

Allah did not institute bahirah or saibah or wasilah or ham; but those who disbelieve forge a lie against Allah, and most of them do not use their reason. When it is said to them, 'Come to what Allah has revealed and to the Messenger,' they say, 'What we found our fathers doing is enough for us.' What! And even though their fathers did not know anything and were not rightly guided? (5:103-104)

Say: Who has forbidden the adornment of Allah which He has brought forth for His servants, and the good things of His providing?...Say: What my Lord has indeed prohibited are shameful deeds, whether open or secret, and sin and rebellion without just cause, and that you associate with Allah that for which He has sent down no authority, and that you say concerning Allah that about which you do not know. (7:32-33)

and a hadith (I cannot find the source of this hadith)
'The lawful is what Allah has made lawful in His Book and the unlawful is that which He made unlawful.'

"I have been sent with what is straight and easy". (Reported by Ahmad)

So yes, it is absolutely important not to have this stance that eating meat in itself is wrong, even if you are a vegetarian.

maryambintjared
05-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Research has also proved that there is no real alternative for protein than eating meat as it is far superiour than vegitable protein. But as with anything in life one must not eat meat in excess and that can also apply to doing anything in excess.

What do you say about animals who kill other animals in order to eat them. Do you think it is cruel? Did you know that when you kill a plant it actually feels pain but it is just that you cannot hear it scream?

As i have already mentioned a Muslim is perfectly entitled to be a vegitarean as long as they do not think that slaughtering animals for human consumption or eating meat is bad or wrong.

The idea that plants feel pain is a myth, propogated originally by L Ron Hubbard of scientology fame. He was a publicity junky, and would do and say anything to get his face in a newspaper.

The fact is that plants do not have any kind of nervous system, neither central nor diffuse, they have no nerves, no centre of consciousness which could "feel" pain, no brain, no ganglion clusters... and there is no advantage to a plant that feeling pain could confer on them. An animal who feels pain has the option to run away. Why would Allah create an entity that felt pain but could neither flee nor defend itself?

Other than that, I do agree, Allah knows best in all matters. It is obvious that humans can eat meat, and they're at liberty to do so, providing they do so within the boundaries set by Allah. Of course in the West very few people do so, which probably explains why meat is so unhealthy here. However, there is data to suggest that Muslim meat eaters in countries like India are healthier than their Hindu vegetarian neighbours. For example, lower rates of diabetes and obesity. As a veggie I'd like to pretend that's not the case... however, there are the statistics.

In other words, to eat or not eat meat is a personal choice, which we should all make with regards to our conscience, and putting Allah first. To eat or not eat meat doesn't make anyone more or less Holy. But to eat what we are given by the all merciful with joy and respect to Him is a good thing, whatever we eat.

Ubeyde
05-04-2011, 09:31 PM
Jazakarallah every one for your posts as I was interested in the answer. If I may I would like to ask you that is it permissable for a practicing Muslim to become a vegetarian in order to please Allah (and his parents :) ) or would it be innovation?

Woodrow
05-05-2011, 03:00 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ubeyde
Jazakarallah every one for your posts as I was interested in the answer. If I may I would like to ask you that is it permissable for a practicing Muslim to become a vegetarian in order to please Allah (and his parents :) ) or would it be innovation?
We eat halal to please Allaah(swt) it makes no difference if what we eat is meat or vegetable. what matters is it being halal. Halal Vegetarian food and halal meat are both pleasing to Allaah(swt) it seems sort of ungrateful to consider one is more pleasingthan the other. The only way I think you could give up meat and have be a bonafide effort to please Allaah(swt) would be if you are doing it as a partial self fast done of your own free will as a gift. But in that case I suggest you donate to charity the cost of the meat you would have eaten. That would be a true partial fast.

Ramadhan
05-05-2011, 04:03 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ubeyde
Jazakarallah every one for your posts as I was interested in the answer. If I may I would like to ask you that is it permissable for a practicing Muslim to become a vegetarian in order to please Allah (and his parents ) or would it be innovation?
To please Allah would mean following the guidance in Qur'an and sunnah. And when it comes to food, the guidance is to eat halal food from halal source in moderate amount. And as far as I know, Allah SWT in the Qur'an or sunnah from rasulullah SAW do not specify what dietary kinds have more hasanah for us, so to think that one type of dietary is more noble in front of Allah than other types is an incorrect belief. With the exception of what has been made haram, we are free to consume what we choose/prefer and this is a blessings from Allah SWT

Hamza Asadullah
05-05-2011, 04:41 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryambintjared
The idea that plants feel pain is a myth, propogated originally by L Ron Hubbard of scientology fame. He was a publicity junky, and would do and say anything to get his face in a newspaper.

The fact is that plants do not have any kind of nervous system, neither central nor diffuse, they have no nerves, no centre of consciousness which could "feel" pain, no brain, no ganglion clusters... and there is no advantage to a plant that feeling pain could confer on them. An animal who feels pain has the option to run away. Why would Allah create an entity that felt pain but could neither flee nor defend itself?

Other than that, I do agree, Allah knows best in all matters. It is obvious that humans can eat meat, and they're at liberty to do so, providing they do so within the boundaries set by Allah. Of course in the West very few people do so, which probably explains why meat is so unhealthy here. However, there is data to suggest that Muslim meat eaters in countries like India are healthier than their Hindu vegetarian neighbours. For example, lower rates of diabetes and obesity. As a veggie I'd like to pretend that's not the case... however, there are the statistics.

In other words, to eat or not eat meat is a personal choice, which we should all make with regards to our conscience, and putting Allah first. To eat or not eat meat doesn't make anyone more or less Holy. But to eat what we are given by the all merciful with joy and respect to Him is a good thing, whatever we eat.

There is in fact a difference of opinion on this matter amongst scientists so for you to assert that it is a myth is actually incorrect. However i do not want to get into a debate about whether or not plants feel pain or not but there certainly is scope for more scientific research on the matter.

I would also assert that to eat meat is a sunnah as the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi wasallam) ate meat as he loved Thareed (dried meat in soup) and he also stated that meat is a superiour food but what i would say is that meat was certainly not eaten as often as many of us consume it today because in those days it was only eaten very seldom and usually on special occasions. I would also assert that meat eaters of today would be much healthier if they reduced their current consumption levels particularly of red meat.

The Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) also emphasised that we eat certain vegtables and fruits like pomegranates, melon, he also loved pumpkin, cucumber, dates, olives, figs, and many more.

But as i stated in my last post it is perfectly acceptable for a Muslim to be a vegitarean or vegan as long as they do not think that slaughtering animals for consumption is wrong and as long as they do not think bad of those who eat meat. Would they also say that animals who kill other animals to consume are wrong?

If a Muslim was to be a vegitarean then they must still partake in Qurbani every year for Hajj as it is waajid on all of those who can afford it but one can pay to get an animal slaughtered and get it distributed on their behalf. Nowadays one can simply do Qurbani with a click of a mouse button anywhere in the world.

al yunan
05-05-2011, 05:45 AM
:sl:There is in fact a difference of opinion on this matter amongst scientists so for you to assert that it is a myth is actually incorrect. However i do not want to get into a debate about whether or not plants feel pain or not but there certainly is scope for more scientific research on the matter.
Walaikum Salam Hamza,
If I may add to your well phrased post.
In Biology plants are alive, when one plucks one it stops living. Different life form but the cycle is the same. Whether or not they feel does not alter the fact that they live. As for the issue of feeling pain, then one could drug some one, then kill them and say, no it was not murder they felt no pain; ridiculous !
Who is to judge on Allah S.W.T's creations and state which life form is more valuable than another ?
To me in my humble opinion this is Shirk.
Masalam

SAKER
05-05-2011, 01:21 PM
:uuh:But there is a little problem in Aid al adha for ex according to sunnah we should eat a bit from the dabiha....

They could stop to be vegetarian this day .....

Hamza Asadullah
05-05-2011, 04:06 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAKER
:uuh:But there is a little problem in Aid al adha for ex according to sunnah we should eat a bit from the dabiha....

Asalaamu Alaikum, No one is obliged to eat any meat on that day or any other day of the year. If a person wants to refrain from eating meat then they can do for the rest of their lives as their is no obligation on them to eat meat at all.

sabr*
05-06-2011, 05:22 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryambintjared

Ukhti maryambintjared:

Excellent response. In Islam there has always been extremist attempting to promote a personal view and interpretation. The Islamic history documents the disagreements with the earlier community. This less educated community will fare no better.

People pick and choose what they want. The following hadith will be discounted because it doesn't support a view of gluttony.

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 65, Number 320:

Narrated Abu Huraira:

The Prophet never criticized any food (he was invited to) but he used to eat if he liked the food, and leave it if he disliked.

REREAD! For those intent on imposing what they eat on others!

Sahih Bukhari Volume 7, Book 65, Number 306:

Narrated Ibn 'Umar:

Allah's Apostle said, "A believer eats in one intestine (is satisfied with a little food), and a kafir (unbeliever) or a hypocrite eats in seven intestines (eats too much)."

sabr*
05-06-2011, 05:33 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAKER

SAKER:

provide the dalil (evidence) that during the slaughtering during Hajj Muslims are ordered to eat the dabiha.

Slaughtering hadyu is mandatory for of the hajj tamattu ' and Qiran. A hadyu is required to fast three days during hajj if they are unable to slaughter. Where is it mandatory to eat the meat in the Sunna and Quran during this slaughtering which is given away in Sadaqah? Not your opinion but dalil (evidence).

Note: Information for the tribal and cultural promoters verses Islam our diet is called Pescetarianism.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!