/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Are photos haram?

qrazaque
04-27-2011, 01:10 AM
Pretty self expanatory question, I have been told by many a person that your prayers are not accepted if you pray in a room with photos or pictures of humans, furthermore that angels do not enter a house that has pictures in it. What is the Islamic standing on pictures, it is well known pictures or depictions of God or the Prophet (PBUH) are not allowed but what about pictures and partraits of family members, children etc?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
al yunan
05-03-2011, 03:05 AM
Assalamu Alaikum brother,
Strictly speaking what you been told is correct as well as paintings depicting life. As for keeping Albums it's another matter but even there one should not keep photos of dead people. But one should avoid dictating to others what to do for you may find that many know of this and yet still hang pictures.
Masalam

Asiyah3
05-03-2011, 08:54 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by qrazaque
What is the Islamic standing on pictures, it is well known pictures or depictions of God or the Prophet (PBUH) are not allowed but what about pictures and partraits of family members, children etc?
:sl:

There is a difference of opinion.

Source

Tyrion
05-03-2011, 09:01 AM
I really don't think they are tbh... And I'm pretty darn sure most (modern) Scholars feel the same way. Just think about it for a second, if all photos or drawings were forbidden, and we had to get rid of them... How would our world be like? We couldn't participate in anything... We couldn't look at anything... It'd be pretty miserable, not to mention impossible. :p

Also, just a thought... I know I'm no scholar, but this is just my opinion.. If you look at some of the Ahadith that people use to say pictures are forbidden, I feel as if it's pretty clear that it's talking about a very specific kind of picture... One that is made with the intent to compete with Allah (perhaps those of idols or false Gods?) But yeah, that's just my opinion.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Asiyah3
05-03-2011, 01:15 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
Also, just a thought... I know I'm no scholar, but this is just my opinion.. If you look at some of the Ahadith that people use to say pictures are forbidden, I feel as if it's pretty clear that it's talking about a very specific kind of picture... One that is made with the intent to compete with Allah (perhaps those of idols or false Gods?) But yeah, that's just my opinion.
If it's just your opinion, then are you telling us it? Why would we even be interested in your opinion?

Saying "I feel" "my opinion is" to people seeking knowledge about Islam, Fear Allah. The brother didn't ask your opinion. He asked about Islam's standing on pictures. We obey Allah (swt) and His messenger (saas) and follow what pleases them, not what some random unknowledgeable Muslim, who hasn't even studied the matter and gives none back up evidence (from Qur'aan and sunnah) for his opinion, thinks. Please please stop speaking without knowledge.

Please check the following thread and fear Allah:
http://www.islamicboard.com/showthread.php?t=134284943

p.s. this is not a comment on the ruling itself.

Peace

tigerkhan
05-03-2011, 02:58 PM
wallah u ppl dont know how much big fitna are these pic. only just bcz of these pic the fitna of media has decieved ppl all over the world.
there is to big logic why allah swt has forbid these pics.

Maryan0
05-03-2011, 03:06 PM
I've heard my whole life that photos are not halal or liked and that angels don't enter rooms with photos in them. but I really don't see the correlation between photos and paintings or sculptures for that matter. Photos are closer to videos, photos being captured moments and videos moving ones. Photos are processed and there's science involved theyre not necessarily created in the same manner sculptures and paintings are. I don't understand why that is not taken into account and why videos are allowed but not photos. I may be wrong but maybe scholars need to take that into account.
Salam

tigerkhan
05-03-2011, 03:41 PM
our ulama in pakistan dont recomend videos alhumdulliah. and if i tell u the ulama belong to Raiwind dont even talk to media.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-03-2011, 03:47 PM
^Assalaamu Alaaykum

I read a fatwa regarding images/photos i cant seem to find it at the moment.

It mentioned something that videos of Islamic lectures are permissable and images that are for the sake of tracing a criminal are also permissable such as photographs etc etc. has anyone read anything similar?

Maryan0
05-03-2011, 04:24 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by tigerkhan
our ulama in pakistan dont recomend videos alhumdulliah. and if i tell u the ulama belong to Raiwind dont even talk to media.
Interesting. I've never heard anything about videos
Salam

Tyrion
05-03-2011, 05:44 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Asiyah3
If it's just your opinion, then are you telling us it? Why would we even be interested in your opinion?

Saying "I feel" "my opinion is" to people seeking knowledge about Islam, Fear Allah. The brother didn't ask your opinion. He asked about Islam's standing on pictures. We obey Allah (swt) and His messenger (saas) and follow what pleases them, not what some random unknowledgeable Muslim, who hasn't even studied the matter and gives none back up evidence (from Qur'aan and sunnah) for his opinion, thinks. Please please stop speaking without knowledge.

Please check the following thread and fear Allah:
http://www.islamicboard.com/showthread.php?t=134284943

p.s. this is not a comment on the ruling itself.

Peace
There are also scholars who feel the same way, and you would have seen that I pointed that out if you read my post in its entirety. Calm down. Try being intellectually honest and don't present the issue like its completely black and white.

One more thing... Try not to accuse someone else of speaking without knowledge when you can't possibly know that's the case.

al yunan
05-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Assalamu Alaikum brother Tyrion,
I do have a question for you though not on topic; those five little guys at the bottom, where are they off to ?
Masalam

Tyrion
05-03-2011, 06:14 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan
Assalamu Alaikum brother Tyrion,
I do have a question for you though not on topic; those five little guys at the bottom, where are they off to ?
Masalam
It's my Kirby army, and they're off to go do my bidding. :p

Asiyah3
05-03-2011, 07:34 PM
There are also scholars who feel the same way,
I am very aware of that. But are there most scholars who feel the same way? This question is about drawing humans and animals, not photos. Do most scholars deem drawing animate beings allowed?

and you would have seen that I pointed that out if you read my post in its entirety. Calm down. Try being intellectually honest and don't present the issue like its completely black and white.
I did state there is a difference of opinion among scholars in my post. Now let's take a closer look at your post.

I really don't think they are tbh... And I'm pretty darn sure most (modern) Scholars feel the same way.
Since you used the word 'they' I assume the second sentence you wrote is referring to both drawings and photos. You have just claimed that most (modern) scholars feel that drawing humans or animals is permissible?

In the link I posted the different opinions of the madhhabs are stated:

Based on this, the reliable and mainstream opinion of the classical jurists is that picture-making is unlawful, whether by painting a picture on an object or making a sculpture. This is the position held by the three main Sunni Schools of Islamic law (i.e. Hanafi, Shafi'i & Hanbali) and also one of two positions related from Imam Malik (Allah have mercy on him). It would be better if one referred to a Maliki Scholar to determine the relied upon (mufta bihi) position of that School.

As you see above, I didn't present the issue black and white. There's the opinion of all the four madhhabs. May I please have the list of the names of those reliable and trustworthy most scholars you mentioned?

Just think about it for a second, if all photos or drawings were forbidden, and we had to get rid of them... How would our world be like? We couldn't participate in anything... We couldn't look at anything... It'd be pretty miserable, not to mention impossible. :p
I wish you would've told that to our greatest Islamic scholars who dedicated their whole life to knowledge seeking! Maybe they didn't know that :O Astaghfirullah.

One more thing... Try not to accuse someone else of speaking without knowledge when you can't possibly know that's the case.
I will insha'Allah apologize once you've brought me some back up evidence for this:

p.s. Again this is not a comment/opinion on the ruling itself.

Tyrion
05-03-2011, 07:42 PM
*sigh*, I know where this is headed, and I'm not in the mood for one of these. I've voiced my opinion, the thread maker can decide for himself what he thinks.

format_quote Originally Posted by Asiyah3
I am very aware of that. But are there most scholars who feel the same way? This question is about drawing humans and animals, not photos. Do most scholars deem drawing animate beings allowed?
Just wanted to point out though that this thread is indeed about photos as well. You need to read the thread.

Asiyah3
05-03-2011, 07:45 PM
*sigh*, I know where this is headed, and I'm not in the mood for one of these. I've voiced my opinion, the thread maker can decide for himself what he thinks.

Just wanted to point out though that this thread is indeed about photos as well. You need to read the thread.
Which is why I said THIS QUESTION, meaning this question of mine. You need to read my post.

Ğħαrєєвαħ
05-03-2011, 08:50 PM
Assalaamu Alaaykum

Bro, the OP clearly asks whether the photos are haraam or not, this means he is asking according to Islaam, if we know the answer we show him according to the Qur'aan and sunnah. This means we dont base our 'opinions' on something when Islamically there is already an answer to it no doubt. If you really feel there is something to what you mention then post the references insha'Allaah it is better instead of saying the sister needs to calm down or what not, clearly from the post she was not exaggerating at all. If your going to talk about something, talk with evidence or post some authentic info, and if later you know you cant be bothered or not in the 'mood' as you put it, then there is no point at all of posting in the first place. If you have no reference and no good explanation with you then it is better to not post. I mean this seriously and im not trying to have a go at you. forgive me if it sounds like that.
*sigh*, I know where this is headed, and I'm not in the mood for one of these. I've voiced my opinion, the thread maker can decide for himself what he thinks. .

Indeed it is, no doubt nobody denied that either.

.. peace ..

Riana17
05-25-2011, 10:28 AM
i wish to read more of healthy forums inshallah

SAKER
05-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Just one question can any one in 21 century would live without photos ?

Plz photos was forbidden in the early age of Islam cause people worship photos and status that time that way

That was a fatwa in Egypt

al yunan
05-27-2011, 10:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by SAKER
Just one question can any one in 21 century would live without photos ? Plz photos was forbidden in the early age of Islam cause people worship photos and status that time that way That was a fatwa in Egypt
Salam saker,

As per your view Music is ok Photos are ok, what about the Usul Fiqh of the four Mathab do you think that too needs to be modernised to 21 st century standards ?
Or perhaps you have a better suggestion or course of action that we should take ?
Await your response.

Masalam

Flame of Hope
05-27-2011, 11:54 PM

I know I'm no scholar, but this is just my opinion.. If you look at some of the Ahadith that people use to say pictures are forbidden, I feel as if it's pretty clear that it's talking about a very specific kind of picture... One that is made with the intent to compete with Allah (perhaps those of idols or false Gods?)
You have a point.

The question "are photos haram" is going to be rather difficult to answer if we don't know for what purpose their use would be haram.

It's just like a man who is told that alcohol is haram. And so he won't even use alcohol for lighting a fire! It's haram to drink it but I don't think it's haram to use it to light a fire!

So with photos....

Taking photos for identity cards, passports couldn't possibly be haram for example.

Making pictures of animals and imaginary beings with the intention of worshipping them would definitely be classified as haraam.

Based on the hadith that the angels don't enter homes where there are pictures of animate objects, we would consider hanging pictures and photos on the wall to be haram.

Taking photos of the day when you graduated or to capture some beautiful moments with your family and loved ones wouldn't be haram.

CosmicPathos
05-28-2011, 12:01 AM
I really don't think they are tbh... And I'm pretty darn sure most (modern) Scholars feel the same way. Just think about it for a second, if all photos or drawings were forbidden, and we had to get rid of them... How would our world be like? We couldn't participate in anything... We couldn't look at anything... It'd be pretty miserable, not to mention impossible. :p

miserable because you are used to it! You are only weakening your own argument by such a claim!

Photos/paintings of humans are haram. For those who claim there is a difference of opinion, well then let a painter draw an imaginary painting of our beloved Prophet pbuh as a dedication to his beauty! Why is that haram? Why the selective bias! Hypocrisy, nifaq!

CosmicPathos
05-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Just one question can any one in 21 century would live without photos ?

Plz photos was forbidden in the early age of Islam cause people worship photos and status that time that way

That was a fatwa in Egypt
how could you live in 21st century without zina every night?

Flame of Hope
05-28-2011, 01:18 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
how could you live in 21st century without zina every night?
miserable because you are used to it! You are only weakening your own argument by such a claim!
Brother mad_scientist, these are your brothers in faith. There is no need for sarcasm and bitter criticism.

There may be differences of views and opinions between us, but we can surely do it with respect and courtesy. It's the way of the Prophet (saws).

purple
05-28-2011, 01:19 AM

Photos/paintings of humans are haram. For those who claim there is a difference of opinion, well then let a painter draw an imaginary painting of our beloved Prophet pbuh as a dedication to his beauty! Why is that haram? Why the selective bias! Hypocrisy, nifaq!
why do some scholars disagree with you?

purple
05-28-2011, 01:25 AM
Answer:

In the name of Allah, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful,
There are separate issues relating to picture-making (taswir), hence it would be good to understand each issue separately and the Shariah ruling on it:

1) Drawing/Painting Pictures of Humans and Animals
As it is common knowledge, there are countless Hadiths narrated from the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) that strictly prohibit painting pictures of animate objects, for example:
Sayyiduna Jabir (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) forbade the keeping of pictures at home and making them." (Sunan Tirmidhi, no: 1749)
Sayyiduna Abu Talha (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: "Angels (of mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture." (Sahih al-Bukhari, no: 5609)
Due to these and many other similar narrations, most classical scholars are of the opinion that painting and drawing pictures of humans and animals is unlawful and sinful. They state that 'picture-making' (taswir) of human or animal life has been explicitly forbidden by the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) and as such it will be sinful. Only Imam Malik (Allah have mercy on him) is reported to have differed with this position of general prohibition.
In one of his narrations, Sayyiduna Imam Malik (Allah have mercy on him), contrary to the other three Imams and most other Mujtahids, is reported to have stated that only those pictures are unlawful that are three-dimensional and have a body to them, such as statues and sculptures. A picture that does not have a body or shadow to it will not be unlawful although somewhat disliked, such as drawing a picture on a paper, cloth or on any other object. This is one of two positions narrated from Imam Malik, with his other position being similar to that of the vast majority of classical scholars.
The position of the vast majority of classical scholars is based on the fact that there is no distinction in the various Hadiths between a tangible and intangible picture. The Hadith indicating the permissibility of intangible and non-solid pictures refers to pictures of other than humans and animals. (See: al-Mugni, 7/7 & Takmila Fath al-Mulhim, 4/155)
Based on this, the reliable and mainstream opinion of the classical jurists is that picture-making is unlawful, whether by painting a picture on an object or making a sculpture. This is the position held by the three main Sunni Schools of Islamic law (i.e. Hanafi, Shafi'i & Hanbali) and also one of two positions related from Imam Malik (Allah have mercy on him). It would be better if one referred to a Maliki Scholar to determine the relied upon (mufta bihi) position of that School. As such, one should avoid drawing/ painting pictures of humans and animals.

2) Photography
In view of the above-mentioned one position of Imam Malik, there is no question with regard to the permissibility of taking photographs, for according to that position, painting pictures of human or animal life on a paper or fabric is allowed, hence camera pictures would hold the same ruling.
However, in view of the mainstream and majority position of classical scholars, the question arises as to whether photos of humans and animals fall under the type of picture-making prohibited by the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) in numerous Hadiths. Camera photos were not in existence when classical scholars were discussing the issue of picture-making, hence one will not find an express ruling regarding photography in their works. As such, it was left to contemporary scholars to determine whether photos held the same ruling as that of painting and drawing pictures.
Contemporary scholars have differed on this issue:
a) The position of the overwhelming majority of Indo-Pak and some Arab scholars is that photographs of human or animal life are not permissible for the very same reasons that paintings of these are not permissible.
They state that the ruling on picture-making does not change by changing the tool with which the picture is produced. Whether an image is produced by painting it or using a camera, as long as it is an image of a human or animal, it will remain unlawful (haram).This is the position of Shaykh Mufti Taqi Usmani and most of my other teachers. It is, without doubt, the more precautious and arguably stronger opinion.
b) The second position on the issue, held by most Arab Scholars (from all four Madhabs) and some from the Indian Subcontinent, is that there is a difference between photos and the prohibited picture-making (taswir).
Shaykh Muhammad Bakhit al-Muti'i of Egypt, a 2oth Century scholar known for his knowledge and piety, wrote a whole treatise titled al-Jawab al-Shafi fi Ibahat Surat al-Photography in support of this view of permissibility.
His basic understanding is that the reason behind the prohibition of painting pictures (in the words of the Hadith) is challenging Allah in His Creating of living creatures. In camera photos, however, one does not produce an image through one's own imagination; hence one is not challenging the Creating of Allah as such. It is merely a reflection of a living being already created by Allah Most High.

These are the two positions of contemporary scholars on the issue. There are great scholars of knowledge, wisdom and piety on both sides of the fence; hence, it would be wrong to criticize anyone for following any one of these positions. It is a matter of genuine and valid difference of opinion. It is not an issue where one may condemn another, and one must respect others' right to follow their conscience.

As you have asked about my personal stance, firstly I am by no means in a position of having a 'personal' opinion as such. I follow my teachers and learn from them. I have teachers in the UK and the Subcontinent who prohibit photos, but I also have teachers in the Arab world permitting them.
The position which I follow is that of my teachers who prohibit taking photos, for that is a more precautious and safe position. However, I have complete respect for the position (and practice) of those who permit taking photos.
As such, my practice is that I do not willingly pose for a photo unless there is a genuine need like for a passport or something similar. If I am asked, I politely refuse. At the same time, if someone is taking photos and I am also in attendance going about my own business, I do not go out of my way to prevent him taking my photo. Thus, if you did come across a photo of mine, it is probably because I may have been present in a place where photos were being taken. The recent photo of mine you have referred to was taken in the same context. I had knowledge that photos were being taken and that I may appear in one, but I did not willingly pose for a photo. I hope that makes sense!

3) Live Broadcasting
Shaykh Mufti Taqi Usmani (may Allah preserve him) and many other scholars have declared that live broadcastings of images do not fall within the ambit of picture-making (taswir). A picture is something that is permanent and static, whilst the image broadcasted live is not permanent hence cannot be termed a picture. A live broadcast is in reality a reflection of the actual image, similar to seeing an image in a mirror.
Therefore, if an image of a human or animal is broadcasted live, then this does not fall into the unlawful picture-making. It will be permitted to broadcast something live or view a live programme, provided the content of the programme is lawful (halal). (Taqrir Tirmidhi, 2/351)

4) Video Recording
According to Shaykh Taqi Usmani, that which is recorded in a videotape or DVD is also not considered a picture. In a videotape, the particles of an image are gathered and then re-opened in the same order to view the image. This is the reason why it is not possible to see the picture in the rail of the tape without playing it. (ibid)
Therefore, if a permitted and Halal event, such as a lecture of a scholar, is played and viewed on a videotape or DVD, it will be permitted, Insha Allah.
Note that the above discussion does not in any way relate to watching Television. Watching TV and keeping it at home is another matter altogether, for which a separate answer is needed. The many harms and evils of keeping a TV at home are known to all. This answer only relates to the permissibility of viewing a Halal image through a live broadcast or a videotape/DVD.
Shaykh Taqi Usmani (may Allah preserve him) sums this up in one of his Fatawa:
"The images appearing on live programs or recorded programs on television are not the pictures in the strict sense envisaged in the Ahadith of the Holy Prophet (Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam) unless they are printed in a durable form on paper or on any other object. But the basic reason why Muslims are advised not to keep TV sets in their homes is that most of the programs broadcast on the TV channels contain impermissible elements." (Taken from the al-Balagh website, http://www.albalagh.net/qa/video_chips.shtml)
http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...D=9334&CATE=15

sabr*
05-28-2011, 02:29 AM
As-Salāmu `Alaykum (السلام عليكم):

The dalil (evidence) has already been presented and the counter with contemporary decisions that abrogate
what Allah and his Nabi Muhammad ibn Abdullah (

) has legislated is a testament to the disarray of the
Muslim Ummah.

It is strange how on straight forward issues that go strictly against a persons habits, hobbies, cultural upbringing
how we find anything to defend it. There is no consistency in the posts of many of the forum members.

Very strict on issues you have a handle on and very lukewarm on prohibitions that are against what you practice.

Asiyah3
05-28-2011, 11:52 AM

Can we please avoid posting such questions as "Are photos haram", is 'this and that' haram? People should just ask reliable scholars.

Mr.President
05-28-2011, 12:23 PM
No need to panic stay calm ! you will find both answers one group will say not haram the other will say haram

No1 Don't make a decision and search fatwas or scholarly opinions to justify ur decision

No2 Ask dua to allah to show you the correct path and correct decision on this issue

No3 Gather the scholarly opinions which are based on alquran and as sunnah

No4 Decide it yourself

insha allah you will find the answer

ProudMuslimSis
05-28-2011, 01:19 PM
Please don't fall victim to some of the forum topics that can cause disharmony among us.

From Bukhari Vol. 4, #448
Narrated Abu Talha: "I heard Allah's Apostle saying; "Angels (of Mercy) do not enter a house wherein there is a dog or a picture of a living creature (a human being or an animal).""

Flame of Hope
05-31-2011, 06:01 AM

format_quote Originally Posted by Mr.President
No need to panic stay calm ! you will find both answers one group will say not haram the other will say haram

No1 Don't make a decision and search fatwas or scholarly opinions to justify ur decision

No2 Ask dua to allah to show you the correct path and correct decision on this issue

No3 Gather the scholarly opinions which are based on alquran and as sunnah

No4 Decide it yourself

insha allah you will find the answer
Excellent advice! :statisfie

Jazakallah khair!

SAKER
06-02-2011, 12:16 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by al yunan
Salam saker,

As per your view Music is ok Photos are ok, what about the Usul Fiqh of the four Mathab do you think that too needs to be modernised to 21 st century standards ?
Or perhaps you have a better suggestion or course of action that we should take ?
Await your response.

Masalam

PLEASE

my participation in the debate in order to give my opinion and to learn from other members ...

There are issues that could be a subject of difference so you can find many opinions and also many Fatwa about the same point..

SAKER
06-02-2011, 12:26 AM
Await your response.
Al Ousoul can be modernised -Al Ousoul: are rules that has been extracted from Qura´an and Sunah- we need Fatwa that understand the specific contexts and general interests of people

I personally agree with Al kardaoui for example who has a realistic and new vision to many issues ...

ok so in the case of photos the Hadith that the brother give us was directed to people recently reconvert to Islam and the Prophet has a fair that people could come back to their old habits(worship status..)

wasalam

SAKER
06-02-2011, 01:45 AM
http://www.ibnamin.com/statue.htm

In Ousoul-al Fiqh there is this problem of the extraction the meaning ,and we had to make a choice between the spirit or the letter of the text -the Qura´an and the Sunah-

Darth Ultor
06-02-2011, 01:55 AM
Just a second here. What kind of creativity isn't haraam?

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!