/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Facing Constraints - Are They Just Waswasa?

Talib Al-Din
04-29-2011, 09:24 PM
السلام عليكم

I know this may sound a weird question, but I hope some of you can give me a nice answer. Please, dear brothers, don't disregard this question if you can.

Most of the times I find myself depriving of using/reading/watching things just by bearing names I think may be un-Islamic. For instance, if I am reading a magazine/newsletter and I suddenly see 'Europe' written somewhere, I immediatly put off what I am reading in fear of even reading the word (if you don't know what's wrong with it, check Wikipedia for example). I stopped using Google Maps/Google Earth and Bing Maps because their bear the word 'TeleAtlas'. I am even afraid of driving my car which is named 'Clio', but unfortunately I can't afford buying a new one (I am just a young, young boy). I think it would be beneficial for me to learn how to use Ubuntu Linux, for instance, but I am afraid of using it since it contains software with names such as 'Ubiquity' or 'Ayatana'.

This has been making me almost crazy since, you know, unfortunately most of these names are present almost everywhere. I really want to give up on all those things for the sake of Allah if it is necessary, but I am in great doubts concerning this. Can anyone please point out to me what is the ruling on using things which bear such un-Islamic names?

جزاكم الله كل خير

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Ramadhan
04-30-2011, 07:57 AM
:wa:

It's good to have a good amount of carefulness, but Bro, it sounds like you have a very serious case of was was. Maybe you need to do ruqyah to rid of your was was?

They are just names, and as long as you personally do not associate them with anything, and you do not regard them in special meanings because of the names, then it's okay to use them.

If you are still unsure, there's a whole surah in the Qur'an named "Ar Rum" (the romans), and you know how the legend of the name of rome came about right?

Talib Al-Din
04-30-2011, 10:39 AM
السلام عليكم

Thank you very much for your answer dear brother. Yes, in fact you are right, I actually suffer a lot with those waswasa... In fact I suffer from "obsessive-compulsive disorder". I am now much better ما شاء الله والحمد لله but occasionaly I still suffer from those horrible thoughts. The question is that in this kind of things I really can't distinguish by myself which of them are waswasa and what are the true thoughts I should really follow. But your explanation is very enlightning, and I guess you are right: these must be just horrible waswasa.

جزاكم الله كل خير

al yunan
05-01-2011, 03:51 PM
Salam brother Talib,
As you mentioned earlier you have not yet said your kalima and quite a few people that I've met had problems more or less similar to yours. It is something very common to new Muslims and ones about to enter Islam. I used to have nightmares about sand and later about firearms, Inshallah they all go away it's only the subconscious rejection. As a matter of fact you should be encouraged by the fact that you are facing problems for it's assurance that you're on the right path. The devil only bothers those who want to escape his influence. Place your Trust in Allah S.W.T and follow your hart to Him.
Masalam

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!