/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Music

maryambintjared
05-02-2011, 11:05 PM
I just read something in another forum (to which I don't yet have posting priveleges) a post which seemed to suggest that music is forbidden in Islam.

I'm a classically trained musician, and music is a huge part of my life, both singing and performing stringed instruments and piano, organ, etc.

While I have accepted happily that some music will no longer feature in my life (I can't in all conscience sing baroque music in honour of the Virgin Mary, and I told my choir about this) I am devastated at the idea that I won't be able to play or listen to Mozart, or Bach, or Beethoven, or Listz...

Have I misunderstood? Is music really forbidden, or have I completely misunderstood? I had a wonderful conversation on Saturday with my musical instructer about Islam, and she was so open and sympathetic. If she were to become Muslim, would she really, after seventy years as a musician, have to give up a skill that Allah gave to her in the first place?

I do understand that Allah may require people to give up idols, and music can certainly be an idol for some. If He demanded that I give up music, I would do so... but is this really what He's asking? Music has always been a release for me, not the focus of my worship, but an area in which my mind can be released from anxiety, and skills allowed to roam.

Please someone explain to me what I should do?

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
al yunan
05-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Salam sister maryambintjared,
Should you continue with your quest for an answer, be prepared for hours and hours of pro and con evidence.
My advice to you is to perform Salatul Istigharah and ask Allah S.W.T what you should do.
This subject has and will always be contraversial. Save yourself the emotional stress and ask Allah S.W.T directly and thus you will be satisfied and act with Yakin to whatever your answer may be.
Best regards and may Allah S.W.T grant you peace of heart.
Masalam

Tyrion
05-03-2011, 01:30 AM
The simplest answer is that there is a difference of opinion, so you will always find some saying it is outright forbidden, and others saying it is not. Both side have arguments, so I suggest you research and ask qualified scholars about the issue. I personally don't believe it is forbidden, and the vast majority of Muslims I know (Scholars included) don't believe music to be forbidden either. Actually, I'll just re-post something else I wrote here on the matter. Hopefully it helps:

format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
Okay, first off... The vast majority of people on this site consider music to be forbidden, so a lot of your answers will probably be leaning in that direction. I disagree with them, and you should know that there is a difference of opinion on the matter among some scholars. (Although it does seem like the majority of classical scholars hold the position that it is haram/forbidden.)

The Quran itself doesn't mention music, but people have interpreted certain passages as referring to it:

But there are, among men those who purchase idle tales, without knowledge (or meaning), to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah and throw ridicule (on the Path): for such there will be a humiliating Penalty. (31:6)

The mention of "idle tales" has been taken to mean music/musical instruments. (although I've noticed that even those who take this verse as referring to music forget to read the second part of the verse, "to mislead from the path of Allah", which doesn't seem to point to an outright ban...)

Most of the evidence for the prohibition of music (Mainly musical instruments) comes from Ahadith. The one I see used most often is the following:

"From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcohol, and the use of musical instruments as lawful. Allah will destroy them during the night...and will change the rest of them to monkeys and pigs and they will remain so until the Day of Resurrection". (Bukhari)

This seems to implicitly claim that musical instruments are forbidden. It's anything but clear though (in my opinion...) so do some more research on your own, weigh the evidences, and make an informed decision. Just don't expect much variety in the answers you get from this forum...

Also, if anyone tries to explain to you how music is bad for your health, how all of it leads to sin, or how there is scientific evidence that points to it being bad... Ignore them. I'm tired of people trying to justify their belief that music is forbidden with some kind of concrete scientific/common sense arguments that just don't apply to all music. Its totally fine if you believe that it's forbidden, and its admirable that anyone would refrain from anything to please God, but making up these reasons to justify it is silly, and most of them are rubbish. If you believe it's forbidden, then just say you don't listen to music because you believe it's haram in Islam. That's all. No need to make up other reasons to justify that prohibition... ( I hope that made sense... /rant)

tigerkhan
05-03-2011, 05:45 AM
sister i suggest u, first focus more on basics... i mean the the eman, salat,...once u realized about the shortness of this life and its just a test, then u can take big descion according plan for future and career. if u see the life of suhaba RA, b4 the commadment of hijaab, zakat, interest, alcohol... allah swt in quran (makki suras) describe jannah, jahanum, the lessons from life of previous prophets PBUT so that they realize more about purpose of their creation, short and temperory nature of this life, eternal success in hereafter...once suhaba RA realized that and their belief get firmed on these things, it was easy for them to sacrifice alot for the sake of allah swt and deen islam.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Asiyah3
05-03-2011, 11:14 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by maryambintjared
Please someone explain to me what I should do?
:sl: sister :)

May Allah bless you. I will not tell you what to do, but I will just mention a few things to think about.

1) The Qur'aan orders us to lower our gazes. Now think about the popular music we have today. Lady Gaga, Britney Spears, Madonna, Rihanna, Akon etc. etc. Would you want your daughter to listen to, as an example Lady Gaga or Britney Spears stripping 'Gimme more'? Will this music have a positive effect on them or lead their minds to an unIslamic world.

2) The message of today's music. Usually the topics are related to haraam love (dating, kissing, touching etc.), fornication, 'It's my life, I do what I want' -types of ideologies. Men and women dancing, the manner female singers dress in music videos/concerts, songs encouraging zina, bad manners (talking about rap) and other unIslamic things.

3) Let's move to another point. Music affects one’s emotions and spirit. Does it distract one's heart from his Creator? Does it bring your heart closer to worldly things? Does it divert our minds from our purpose of life?

However it be, the Shariah ruling is based upon the reason, and not the wisdom.

If you want to read the evidence for the prohibition of music read the following. I'm giving you the link 'cause I want you to understand those Muslims who don't listen to music.
http://www.islamicboard.com/showthread.php?t=20238

My advice to you is keep learning about Islam. Islam is a very beautiful and a wonderful religion (glory be to Allah), and the more you learn about it the more you love it. :) So do what you can, take small steps, at the same time don't stress and don't overburden yourself.

All the best

aadil77
05-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Take it easy, try and focus on the main aspects of islam, InshAllah you can sort this issue out later.

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!