/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Going to the Mosque

elina
05-08-2011, 09:48 AM
The only time ive been in Mosque is when i got married, the ones in the town nearby are men only but i recently joined a New Muslim Group and in a couple of weeks there is a meet up in the city 15 miles away. This includes food, a couple of talks then salat at the Mosque.

I really want to go but I am so nervous. I've never been good in groups or when I don't know people... to say I am painfully shy is an understatement. I can't ask my husband to go with me as its sisters only. I am really nervous about going to the Mosque and scared to the point of heart attack (lol) about doing salat with everyone...... Ive only ever done it on my own (a couple of times my husband has watched and said im doing it right) but im worrying i will do it too slow or make a mistake (which i sometimes do and i would be worse if im nervous) Im also nervous about making wudu as im heavily tattooed and feel really embarassed about this....... I know that once I get over this and do it I should feel a lot more confident the next time but its this first time..... Im also worried I may not go and never get over the first time. I really dont know what to do...... my friend (not Muslim) just says 'aww you will be okay dont worry about it' but its easy for people with a lot of confidence to say things like this. Can anyone please tell me what to expect? or give me any advice or anything? any suggestions would be appreciated .....thank you :)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Al-Mufarridun
05-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Assalaamu Alaikum sis elina.

I'm guessing some of the sisters coming to the event are also having similar feelings. it is Natural. I hope you go Insha'Allah. You don't have to say much, just smile, during the introduction say, "Assalamu Alaikum, my name is Elina, I reverted ___, Alhamdulilah, It's pleasure to meet you all. Truly!" And from there on it will get fairly easy. As for Salah/Wudu, I'm sure your husband is correct and you don't have to worry about anything, just focus, remembering Allah(swt) and remain calm. :D

May Allah(swt) make it easy for you! Ameeen.

elina
05-08-2011, 10:42 AM
wa alaikum salaam bro..thanks for your reply.

I think it would be easier if I went to the group first but their meetups are evening time and its 3 buses away...but the group is for everyone so my husband could come with me to that, it just seems that things seem to get in the way of going..... im also worried i may cry when i go in the Mosque.... i was overwhelmed by the feeling of peace when I got married and i wasnt muslim then...now I am i think i may just burst into tears...... that probably sounds so stupid :s

Cabdullahi
05-08-2011, 10:51 AM
you are thinking about it too much, everything will be normal...you'll realize this when you go

it kind of feels like the first time i was going to school....kids clinging on to their mothers, crying saying they were scared....i, on the other hand was thrown into the school gate from far and by the end of the day all the kids were making friends, laughing and enjoying themselves.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
elina
05-08-2011, 10:53 AM
salam bro..... i think you hit the nail right on the head there :)

al yunan
05-08-2011, 11:13 AM
format_quote Originally Posted by elina
wa alaikum salaam bro..thanks for your reply.

I think it would be easier if I went to the group first but their meetups are evening time and its 3 buses away...but the group is for everyone so my husband could come with me to that, it just seems that things seem to get in the way of going..... im also worried i may cry when i go in the Mosque.... i was overwhelmed by the feeling of peace when I got married and i wasnt muslim then...now I am i think i may just burst into tears...... that probably sounds so stupid :s
Assalamu Alaikum sister elina,

It is natural to be feeling nervous we all been through it and for some of us it continious each time we enter a Mosque we have not been to before.
First about your tatoos, choose a time when you most likely be alone to take Wudhu and should any one walk in on you make some remark like what to do your past is your past or something like that as not to become to self consious.
As for the Sala that's easy join the Saaf (praying row) and follow merrily along, what could be simpler.

Should you break out in tears don't worry as there is no better place in this whole wide world to do just that.
It may even Inshallah get you points with your new sisters.
Remember you are doing this for Allah S.W.T so don't worry about people to much.
Should you become to anxious recite under your breath: "hasbun Allah wa niaman Wakil" protect me ya Allah for you're my protector, until calm.
I hope you enjoy your visit and let us know how it went.

May Allah S.W.T grant you peace of heart.
Masalam

SAKER
05-08-2011, 02:00 PM
don ´t worry much evry thing will be ok ...rely on Allah and go ahead..

aadil77
05-08-2011, 02:16 PM
15 miles is not bad if have a car - 20 min journey? Otherwise its a nightmare on buses - it would take me 45 mins to travel a 5 mile journey on buses.

See if you can get a lift with some sisters or if once a week get your husband to pick n drop you

To avoid revealing your tatoos just do wudhu before leaving, or do it when no ones around.

Don't worry about being shy, sisters have a duty to welcome you into their gathering and make you feel comfortable, how about contacting one of the sisters beforehand to let them know you're coming

Sunnie Ameena
05-08-2011, 02:44 PM
I have never been to a Mosque before, so I really don't have any advice, but am looking forward to seeing the advice you get from others. I guess the only thing I can say is, that going to the Mosque is a great first step, and that everything will be fine. Peace, Sunnie

Woodrow
05-08-2011, 02:57 PM
:sl:

Simply remind yourself that the reason people go to the Mosque is to worship Allaah(swt), not to inspect people. Go for the purpose of worship and do not worry about the people.

Haya emaan
05-08-2011, 03:13 PM
when you leave your home for Allah.. he makes every thing easier for you that comes in your way... trust Him and every thing will be alright

and you know what you will find your sisters there welcoming you with open arms.. that's because they and you will be meeting just for the sake of Allah...so He will fill your heart with love for each other..

Ramadhan
05-08-2011, 03:45 PM
:sl:

sister, I would truly advise you not to pass up great opportunity like this, especially to experience salah in congregation, it is one of the best feelings in the world; to feel that you and others are there with only one purpose to submit to and worship Allah SWT is an amazing feeling, cry if you must, it is normal.

aadil77
05-08-2011, 03:50 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Sunnie
I have never been to a Mosque before, so I really don't have any advice, but am looking forward to seeing the advice you get from others. I guess the only thing I can say is, that going to the Mosque is a great first step, and that everything will be fine. Peace, Sunnie
Mosques should really be open to anyone as long as they follow the rules, If you want to visit one just out of curiosity see if theres one nearby with a womens section

aadil77
05-08-2011, 03:53 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mun-o-salwa
when you leave your home for Allah.. he makes every thing easier for you that comes in your way... trust Him and every thing will be alright
Great post. Totally agree, when doing anything in the path of Allah, Allah makes that task much easier

Samiro
05-08-2011, 05:06 PM
You can make wudu at home before leaving. Praying in congregation is uber easy. It is pretty much impossible to go wrong. It will be fine inshallah.

Ubeyde
05-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Salaam.

Everyone has given you absolutely sound advice sister and I recommend it. Also, about your tatoos- I have a friend (male) who reverted to Islam who has many tatoos, some of which are on his hands even so are impossible to cover but whenever anyone asks he just says that when, on the day of resurrection, he will be resurrected with the same tatoos even if he removes them.. and lets people know to mind their own business :P

ISA Allah will make it easy for you.. Salaam is the best ice breaker.

AishaRayann
05-11-2011, 09:01 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Ubeyde
he just says that when, on the day of resurrection, he will be resurrected with the same tatoos even if he removes them.. and lets people know to mind their own business :P
ISA Allah will make it easy for you.. Salaam is the best ice breaker.
Is this true? :/ Because I don't see how that is possible if it was something done before Islam? Because of clean slate..a prior sin is forgiven.

Anyways to the original poster..Sister don't stress...I havent been to one yet...but my sis Aisha M. goes to the sisters luncheon i told her i afraid to go..because i smoked for 10 years and quit 1 1/2 years..then shaitan got me 2 months ago..and I smoke now..not in public..but i didnt want to come there smelling like smoke..she told me Aisha K. half them sisters don't even cover lol
I would have went but i couldnt find a ride.

Anyways no one perfect...so don't expect them to judge you like that..I think its a wonderful opportunity to get to know your sisters community..make friends..and worship..it will be fun!!!!!

Don't worries about your tattoos I have suicide scars on the top of my arms...that are very big and noticeable.

Anyways like i mention above..when you revert to Islam..you get a clean slate like a baby..tattoos are haram..but if done before Islam those sins are gone. If someone says anything to u..tell them that.

elina
05-15-2011, 12:19 PM
salam everyone....sorry its taken so long for me to get back. Thank you all for your advice and encouragement :) I've been really busy the last few days and haven't had time to think (worry lol) about going, and when I did think about it yesterday I suprised myself by realising I was now looking forward to it a lot more than I was worried about it. The only problem now is I have just started a new job and think I may have to work that day :( I've decided to go into town on my day off and visit the Mosque then hopefully I will be able to go to the next meeting :)

Amanda
05-16-2011, 02:14 PM
I was really nervous the first time I went to the mosque too, especially because I didn't really speak the language (I wasn't in my home country)... but everyone was very welcoming, and it was such a good feeling being there... I'm sure it will be the same for you.

elina
05-16-2011, 04:18 PM
salam amanda.... oh thats even scarier... im with you on the good feeling you get...its awesome :)

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!