/* */

PDA

View Full Version : Mothers day?

Skunkman
05-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Asalamu Alaykum.

Is it true that Mothers day is bidhaa? (innovation)

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
Woodrow
05-08-2011, 04:32 PM
:sl:

One needs to decide this themself. In different countries it seems to have different origins. I suggest a look at the origin. Here is the history of it in the USA. Other countries celebrating it have different histories.

Mother's Day History
Contrary to popular belief, Mother's Day was not conceived and fine-tuned in the boardroom of Hallmark. The earliest tributes to mothers date back to the annual spring festival the Greeks dedicated to Rhea, the mother of many deities, and to the offerings ancient Romans made to their Great Mother of Gods, Cybele. Christians celebrated this festival on the fourth Sunday in Lent in honor of Mary, mother of Christ. In England this holiday was expanded to include all mothers and was called Mothering Sunday.

In the United States, Mother's Day started nearly 150 years ago, when Anna Jarvis, an Appalachian homemaker, organized a day to raise awareness of poor health conditions in her community, a cause she believed would be best advocated by mothers. She called it "Mother's Work Day."

Fifteen years later, Julia Ward Howe, a Boston poet, pacifist, suffragist, and author of the lyrics to the "Battle Hymn of the Republic," organized a day encouraging mothers to rally for peace, since she believed they bore the loss of human life more harshly than anyone else.

In 1905 when Anna Jarvis died, her daughter, also named Anna, began a campaign to memorialize the life work of her mother. Legend has it that young Anna remembered a Sunday school lesson that her mother gave in which she said, "I hope and pray that someone, sometime, will found a memorial mother's day. There are many days for men, but none for mothers."

Anna began to lobby prominent businessmen like John Wannamaker, and politicians including Presidents Taft and Roosevelt to support her campaign to create a special day to honor mothers. At one of the first services organized to celebrate Anna's mother in 1908, at her church in West Virginia, Anna handed out her mother's favorite flower, the white carnation. Five years later, the House of Representatives adopted a resolution calling for officials of the federal government to wear white carnations on Mother's Day. In 1914 Anna's hard work paid off when Woodrow Wilson signed a bill recognizing Mother's Day as a national holiday.

At first, people observed Mother's Day by attending church, writing letters to their mothers, and eventually, by sending cards, presents, and flowers. With the increasing gift-giving activity associated with Mother's Day, Anna Jarvis became enraged. She believed that the day's sentiment was being sacrificed at the expense of greed and profit. In 1923 she filed a lawsuit to stop a Mother's Day festival, and was even arrested for disturbing the peace at a convention selling carnations for a war mother's group. Before her death in 1948, Jarvis is said to have confessed that she regretted ever starting the mother's day tradition.

Despite Jarvis's misgivings, Mother's Day has flourished in the United States. In fact, the second Sunday of May has become the most popular day of the year to dine out, and telephone lines record their highest traffic, as sons and daughters everywhere take advantage of this day to honor and to express appreciation of their mothers

SOURCE

the Origin in Germany is:

n Austria, Germany, and Switzerland Muttertag is observed on the second Sunday in May, just as in the U.S., Australia, Brazil, Italy, Japan, and many other countries. During the First World War, Switzerland was one the first European countries to introduce Mother's Day (in 1917). Germany's first Muttertag observance took place in 1922, Austria's in 1926 (or 1924, depending on the source). Muttertag was first declared an official German holiday in 1933 (the second Sunday in May) and took on a special significance as part of the Nazi motherhood cult under the Hitler regime. There was even a medal—das Mutterkreuz—in bronze, silver, and gold (eight or more Kinder!), awarded to mothers who produced children for the Vaterland. (The medal had the popular nickname of "Karnickelorden," the "Order of the Rabbit.") After World War II the German holiday became a more unofficial one that took on the cards-and-flowers elements of the U.S. Mother's Day. In Germany, if Mother's Day happens to fall on Pfingstsonntag (Pentecost), the holiday is moved to the first Sunday in May.

SOURCE

In Saudi and Pakistan

Pakistan (and Saudi Arabia) - The May 10 celebration of Motherhood in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan is called Yaum ul-umm. It is inspired by and modeled after the western tradition of Mother's Day in which all mothers are honored and given gifts. Celebrations and feasts are customary.

SOURCE

Samiro
05-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Whether you want to get something for your mom or celebrate or not, remember that every day is mother's day.

Tyrion
05-08-2011, 08:45 PM
I don't see why it would be forbidden. It's not like it's a religious holiday...

http://www.suhaibwebb.com/relationsh...e-mothers-day/

http://www.suhaibwebb.com/relationsh...E2%80%99s-day/

format_quote Originally Posted by Woodrow
In different countries it seems to have different origins. I suggest a look at the origin.
I've never understood this obsession with origins... Does it really matter what the origins of a thing were if it means something else at the moment? If mothers day, or anything else happened to have pagan origins thousands of years ago, but no longer has anything to do with that origin... Then I don't see why it's necessary to continue connecting it with its history. Current meaning seems to be much more important.

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
CosmicPathos
05-08-2011, 09:34 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by Tyrion
I don't see why it would be forbidden. It's not like it's a religious holiday...

http://www.suhaibwebb.com/relationsh...e-mothers-day/

http://www.suhaibwebb.com/relationsh...E2%80%99s-day/

I've never understood this obsession with origins... Does it really matter what the origins of a thing were if it means something else at the moment? If mothers day, or anything else happened to have pagan origins thousands of years ago, but no longer has anything to do with that origin... Then I don't see why it's necessary to continue connecting it with its history. Current meaning seems to be much more important.
what is its current meaning? yes origins are very important. dont you want to know what are origins of Islam or will you just narrow-mindedly stick with current meaning which is not so positive i.e. Islam spreads by terrorism.

Tyrion
05-08-2011, 09:39 PM
format_quote Originally Posted by mad_scientist
what is its current meaning? yes origins are very important. dont you want to know what are origins of Islam or will you just narrow-mindedly stick with current meaning which is not so positive i.e. Islam spreads by terrorism.
Are you really going to compare Mother's day to Islam? :p Even then, Islam means the same thing it did since the beginning of time... Or are you implying that it actually means something else now? I'm not talking about people's perception of it... Mother's day has actually BECOME something else now, and that's what we should see it as.

CosmicPathos
05-08-2011, 09:59 PM

Are you really going to compare Mother's day to Islam? :p Even then, Islam means the same thing it did since the beginning of time... Or are you implying that it actually means something else now? I'm not talking about people's perception of it... Mother's day has actually BECOME something else now, and that's what we should see it as.
maybe people's perception of mother's day has become something else. really, you cant escape from the inherent contradictions of adapting customs that emerged among the non-Muslims (whether white kaafirs or arab kaafirs or whoever)

AishaRayann
05-09-2011, 01:51 AM

So every Pagan origin holiday or day should be seen as it is today? What about Halloween? Should it be seen as it is today children dressing up and treats given or devil worship?

Woodrow
05-09-2011, 02:02 AM
My main objection to Mother's day is that every day should be Mother's day and to show deserved respect not any type of adoration. I see in some cultures it has become a one day of the year for one's Mother and ignoring her for the rest of the year.

As to just what Mother's day is and why, how it is celebrated differs from culture to culture.

Mother's day can be a form of Bid'ah in some cultures and can be no different from any other day in some cultures. Depending on how and why it is celebrated and what is meant by celebrating.

Jalal~
05-09-2011, 02:40 AM
Salams
Are you really going to compare Mother's day to Islam? Even then, Islam means the same thing it did since the beginning of time... Or are you implying that it actually means something else now? I'm not talking about people's perception of it... Mother's day has actually BECOME something else now, and that's what we should see it as.
just like how Christians dedicate one special day to worship God. Its wrong; instead every day should be spent in remembrance of Allah. And we show that by praying 5 times a day, reading Qu'ran and doing other things that will please Allah
Same thing applies to mothers day; In Islam, Every day should be considered mother's day, not just one special day. Dont believe it? Heres a hadith:
I asked, "Messenger of Allah, to whom should I be dutiful?" He replied, "Your mother." I asked, "Then whom?" He replied, "Your mother." I asked, "Then whom?" He replied, "Your mother." I asked, "Then whom?" He replied, "Your mother." I asked, "Then to whom should I be dutiful?" He replied, "Your father,and then the next closest relative and then the next."
This basically proves how important our mother is.
So if you really want to follow this whole Mother's day thing, you should go and tell your Mother "Happy Mother's day" every single day. Now dont get me wrong, its tough, i struggle sometimes too. Its just a part of life i guess.

al yunan
05-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Salam to all,

Without the combination of Fiqh and Sunnah it's hard for most of us to accept certain issues.
"Unfortunately" only an Alim has the necessary knowledge and training and the rest of us should just learn to accept.
Should Inshallah any one reach that level of understanding then one may formulate their own opinions.
I personally follow the opinion based on the Hadith that says "he who follows a Kawm is of that Kawm" Kawm as in race, people ethnic groups, cultural norms etc.
As to how seriously one adheres to Islam or values it depends on one's Aqidah and it's understood that no two people have the same Aqidah.
As no one's Iman is carved in stone we should refrain from passing judgements on others and keep Husnuzon (good and positive thoughts) for our brothers and sisters until the opposite is proven beyond doubt and repair.

Show your love for the prophet s.a.w's Ummah and Inshallah Allah S.W.t may show His Mercy to you.
Masalam

Skunkman
05-09-2011, 08:01 AM
JazakAllahu Khairun to everyone. I have concluded that in the same way celebrating birthday is wrong, mother's day is also wrong. Our Mothers must be praised everyday.

Haya emaan
05-09-2011, 10:32 AM
we Muslims don't need a mother day.... for us.. every day is a mother day... how can we miss a single day not seeking jannah hidden under mother's feet..

Darth Ultor
05-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Why designate a day to show your mother appreciation? Just a big corporate ploy, I say. This is something you should do every day.

IslamicRevival
05-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Mothers day, for us Muslims...is..and should be everyday!

Perseveranze
05-09-2011, 12:46 PM
Quite sad you need to be told when to show love to your mothers so you can forget about her the next 364 days. I see it as innovation, every day should be mothers day.

Darth Ultor
05-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Corporate holidays in general piss me off

AishaRayann
05-11-2011, 02:23 AM
mothersdaycentral com/about-mothersday/history/

Pagan in Origin

Spiritual Origin of Mothers Day

"Only recently dubbed “Mother's Day,” the highly traditional practice of honoring of Motherhood is rooted in antiquity, and past rites typically had strong symbolic and spiritual overtones; societies tended to celebrate Goddesses and symbols rather than actual Mothers. The personal, human touch to Mother’s Day is a relatively new phenomenon. The maternal objects of adoration ranged from mythological female deities to the Christian Church itself. Only in the past few centuries did celebrations of Motherhood develop a decidedly human focus............"

Yes mothers day should be everyday..
Respect and Dutiful and Care and Nice to mothers every day!!!!!

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
British Wholesales - Certified Wholesale Linen & Towels | Holiday in the Maldives

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!