PDA

View Full Version : Single Prayer More Beneficial Than All Prayers Offered in Life-Time!



Flame of Hope
05-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Once Hasan al-Basri(ra) went to Habib al-'Ajami(ra) at the time of evening prayers. Hasan heard al-'Ajami mispronounce a word during the prayer. He considered it improper to do his prayers with him, and therefore did them separately. During the night he dreamt the Lord spoke to him:

"Hasan, if you had stood behind al-'Ajami and performed your prayers, you would have earned Our Pleasure, and that single prayer of yours would have borne thee greater benefit than all prayers taken together that you have offered in your lifetime. You found fault with his pronunciation but ignored the purity and excellence of his heart. Know it that We cherish a contrite heart much more than the correct pronunciation of words."

Tadhkirat al-Auliya', Farid al-Din Attar(ra)
Reply

Login/Register to hide ads. Scroll down for more posts
al yunan
05-11-2011, 08:36 PM
assalamu alaikum sister,

This is what I call a good slap in the face to all those Was Was reciters.
Jazakallahu Khair and thanks.
Masalam
Reply

missy
05-12-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Flame
Once Hasan al-Basri(ra) went to Habib al-'Ajami(ra) at the time of evening prayers. Hasan heard al-'Ajami mispronounce a word during the prayer. He considered it improper to do his prayers with him, and therefore did them separately. During the night he dreamt the Lord spoke to him:
:sl:
sista...i just wanna know if this narration is authentic...i mean saying like the Lord "spoke" to him...umm...m not sure :-\ ..but....just need clarification..
btw from where ditcha get it ?...cuz i searched for the book....and found out that it's in Arabic....
Reply

Flame of Hope
05-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by peacelover
:sl:
sista...i just wanna know if this narration is authentic...i mean saying like the Lord "spoke" to him...umm...m not sure :-\ ..but....just need clarification..
btw from where ditcha get it ?...cuz i searched for the book....and found out that it's in Arabic....
:wa:

I'm not really concerned about the book being in Arabic nor about the part where "the Lord spoke to him". What I am concerned about is the principle underlining this story. And that principle is true.

Allah doesn't look at our appearance. He looks at our hearts and the heart that contains sincerity has more worth than anything else that you can bring to Him, the Most High.

P.S. About "the Lord spoke to him" part....this was conveyed in a dream. So it's possible that he only heard the voice.....You may also want to consider the dream that Prophet Ibrahim (as) had when he was instructed to sacrifice his son.
Reply

Welcome, Guest!
Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up
al yunan
05-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by peacelover
...i mean saying like the Lord "spoke" to him...umm...m not sure ..but....just need clarification..

Walaikum Assalam sister,

The translation in most books that are not widely circulated is indeed horrendous.
That fact is especially amplified in what's considered Tausawf books.
One should not read much into these translations ad verbum and rather appreciate the stories.
There are also many stories that sound like fables, to which one could reply as long as they have a moral value and are not part of Figh (play no part in our Ibada) they are preferable to other un Islamic past times.
That of course is not a Fatwa but a common opinion.
Sometimes these weird stories teach with more impression than hours of uninspired Dawa.
A lot of big fish have been caught with little bait.
Diatribe over insignificant matters creates the worst animosity and major Shirk lives on, that's strange !

May Allah S.W.T grants us clarity heart and mind.
Masalam
Reply

missy
05-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by Flame
What I am concerned about is the principle underlining this story. And that principle is true.

Allah doesn't look at our appearance. He looks at our hearts and the heart that contains sincerity has more worth than anything else that you can bring to Him, the Most High.
I get what you mean...yeah, that totally makes sense...what really matters is the purity of our intentions behind everything that we do.
And such incidents from the life of pious people like Shk. Hasan al-Basri, actually helps uplift the Eeman.....thanks for sharing..:)
JazakAllahu Khairan.

Originally Posted by al yunan
The translation in most books that are not widely circulated is indeed horrendous.
That fact is especially amplified in what's considered Tausawf books.
One should not read much into these translations ad verbum and rather appreciate the stories.
There are also many stories that sound like fables, to which one could reply as long as they have a moral value and are not part of Figh (play no part in our Ibada) they are preferable to other un Islamic past times.
That of course is not a Fatwa but a common opinion.
Sometimes these weird stories teach with more impression than hours of uninspired Dawa.
A lot of big fish have been caught with little bait.
Diatribe over insignificant matters creates the worst animosity and major Shirk lives on, that's strange !
That was well explained....
yea...i know about 'Tasawwuf'...it's practised amongst the Sufis...
Reply

ProudMuslimSis
05-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Anyone can go through the motions of being a good religious person, but what matters is what is in their heart.

Humility (being discussed in another thread) allows us to overlook little mistakes in others and concentrate on the big picture.
Reply

Hey there! Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account.

When you create an account, you can participate in the discussions and share your thoughts. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. And you can like posts and make new friends.
Sign Up

IslamicBoard

Experience a richer experience on our mobile app!